Rumor: Sega Preparing Sonic for Natal Debut

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Rumor: Sega Preparing Sonic for Natal Debut

One of gaming's most popular franchises is rumored to be making an entry into Microsoft's motion-controlled future world.

Guess what Sonic fans? Did you think that the really sweet looking Sonic 4 would be the only Sonic the Hedgehog title to come out this year (along with Sonic Colors)? A "superspy" has told Joystiq that this may not be the case, and that Natal is involved.

Before you strap on those new red sneakers and prepare to destroy your throw rug by running in circles, the game Sega is rumored to be developing for Natal is called Sonic Free Riders. Yeah, it's a new entry in the Sonic Riders series, a hover-board racing game previously seen on the PlayStation 2 and the Wii. But hey, it's still a Sonic game!

Sonic Free Riders, if it turns out to be more than a rumor, will be motion-controlled through Microsoft's Project Natal camera system. Players will somehow steer with nothing but their own bodies, collect weapons by reaching out, and attack other racers by motioning towards them. If it turns out to be a two-player game, I'm envisioning a few 10-year-olds with bruises and black eyes when this "motioning" turns into punches and dropkicks aimed at friends.

Free Riders isn't the Natal bombshell we might have all been hoping for, but it's a good indication that we'll see more than mini-game collections to use Natal with. I still don't think Sonic Free Riders will justify Natal's also rumored $149 price, which almost seems way too high to be true at this point. Maybe Sonic Low Riders, or Sonic Ghost Riders of the Whip, but not Sonic Riders translated to a controller-less motion game. Then again, who knows, maybe Sonic Free Riders will be an amazingly fun title and will show off the true genius of Natal.

Source: Joystiq

Sonic: Please.. Kill me......
SEGA: Nonsence!, Now dance, DANCE FOR THE CROWDS!!

Hey, I loved the free rider games! At least, the one that my friend owned. I found them fun little grindfests :)

Still probably not getting Natal though.

Tom Goldman:

Before you strap on those new red sneakers and prepare to destroy your throw rug by running in circles, the game Sega is rumored to be developing for Natal is called Sonic Free Riders.

This was Microsoft's chance to throw its hat into both the "video games as exercise" and "blue hedgehog simulator" rings, and they blew it.

It sounds... awful.

I've never felt that Sonic works in a 3D game. Now we have a 3D game with motion controls?

That doesn't sound like a good blend to me.

Wow, as if Sonic wasn't sucking hard already, Now he's getting on that retarded fucking natal thing.

Yahtzee will be pleased

Sonic, what have they done with you. I loved you so much when I had my Genesis

150?!

AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

I'm broke enough as is Microsoft!

Sonic Riders wasn't that bad, but unlocking things in it was grindy and the difficulty could be massively inconsistent later in the story mode due to insane rubberband AI.

Strike me with the ban-hammer if you must because this post has nothing to do with the article:

I just want to point out how awesome I think it is that even though Project Natal has officially been named Wave, article writers like thee above still call it Natal xD

Yeah I liked sonic better on the Genesis. Not sure about this whole Natal thing.

I just go the mental image of obese ten year olds trying to run as fast as Sonic in their living rooms. This has made my day :)

Reminds me of this

Hoverboarding?

Seriously, I figured Sonic + Natal would be the perfect recipe for the inevitable "most of our fanbase are furries or obsessive geeks clinging to a long dead memory"-geared release of a Sonic sex simulator. Fondle your damn hedgehog to your heart's content, it's all he's good for anymore.

Oh, Riders... For a second there I thought they were using the Wii Sonic format of him constantly moving since it simplified controls. Not that the formula has made a good game, but Sonic in general really hasn't. At least this time, they'll have new hardware to blame.

Sonic was used to be cool. Now he's like Mario. Oh well.

But 3d Sonic? How many times did they experiment with that method?

But oh dear God, Natal might be an overpriced gimmick. Neutralizing the entire point of actually buying such games.

Huzzah!

Hubilub:
It sounds... awful.

I've never felt that Sonic works in a 3D game. Now we have a 3D game with motion controls?

That doesn't sound like a good blend to me.

Depending on how Natal ends up going, Sonic might be the perfect mascot for it. You know, something that should be killed being the posterboy for something that should never have been born. :)

Ahhh, I kid I like the idea of Natal and I hope it does brilliantly, at a cheaper price than £150. I just like finding any excuse to laugh at Sonics expense, it's just so easy. And shit. Incredibly shit.

I think this is the perfect match made in heaven. Think about it.

Pretty much only crazy people would want to jump around like a maniac in their house for the sake of relaxation with videogames.
Sonic fans have been proven to be a fair bit crazy with things like boycotting Sonic 4 by buying other SEGA games instead.

Makes sense to me! :)

The Riders games were pretty good. This would work.

Hey, it can't be worse than Tony Hawk: Ride, right?

God, PETA, get off your asses and save Sonic from his pain and suffering!

I just feel bad for the guy (Sonic) now...

Holy bejeevus Sonic, whay 'ave they done to ya? IMO, Riders was terrible, and Natal sounds to gimmicky for me to actually care about.

Still, Sonic 4 is coming out soon. That's good news, right? Let's just hope that it make up for all those other terrible Sonic games.

"Free Riders" wasn't a terrible game, it just didn't feel like a Sonic game.
And I fail to see how a racing game can be made more fun with motion controls. Since it's a surfboard-like racer, weight distribution seems like it'd be key to control so how can they pull this off without some sort of WiiFit board?

I can only imagine how tired this game will make people whom play it!

...Why cant trhey stop flogging a dead horse?

What happens when they put shit on shit?

Sega....what happened?

What.....WHAT!?

I don't think this is going to turn out well...

This has to be some exercise in Epic Fail. This is the same basic idea of Tony Hawk: Ride only replacing the WiiBoard with a Natal and putting Sonic in it.

I remember a hoverboard-ish game way back when they had the EyeToy out it didn't do well either.

I love gaming controls. I would happily go back to the original XBox controllers if all this motion control hype went away.

midpipps:

Wow, that seemed to include about everything that was just described for Sonic Free Riders.
So basically Sega is coming out with something unoriginal with their first Natal game. Normally expected with the ordinary library out there, but when there is probably, what, 3 titles set to come out with Natal? Sad.

Brad Shepard:
God, PETA, get off your asses and save Sonic from his pain and suffering!

You honestly want PETA getting in on the action of protecting digital animals now? I hope you aren't big into Pokemon, because PETA will be all over them(Digimon, too. Sorry Jack and Calumon). Though what Daxter would have to say about all that would be worth listening to.

Khell_Sennet:
Hoverboarding?

Seriously, I figured Sonic + Natal would be the perfect recipe for the inevitable "most of our fanbase are furries or obsessive geeks clinging to a long dead memory"-geared release of a Sonic sex simulator. Fondle your damn hedgehog to your heart's content, it's all he's good for anymore.

Fondle sonic...? Dude, I think Sega has gone way past that...

They probably force him to dress up as Amy and/or Rouge, and 'service' SEGA CEOs using his tears for something that they are most definitely, obviously not meant for.

So that game would be more of First-person sim where you use your hands to force and control him to do things to your avatar-self. And you use his tears to purchase new outfits, accessories, and such.

As for the last good game? I'd honestly say Dreamcast, fitting enough, was the system he shone on for the last time. Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 were good games, and didn't rely too heavily on 3D environments for the most part (with sonic and shadow at least). Sonic Heroes was meh, and the 360 Sonic game was a joke, in gameplay and story.

Anybody else remember what happened last time a Sonic game was debuted with a piece of Microsoft hardware? You don't? Let me remind you...

Sega continues to craft innovative and fun titles from its interlectual property franchises.

You may have missed the band wagon but Sonic Colors was just announced for late 2010 a few days ago, So Sonic 4 already wasn't the only game slated to come out this year.
http://www.sega.com/games/sonic-colors/

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.