Zelda II Remade As First-Person Slasher

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Zelda II Remade As First-Person Slasher

As if Zelda II wasn't hard enough, a fan has remade the game so that it's played through the eyes of Link.

The NES's Zelda II: The Adventure of Link, sequel to The Legend of Zelda, discarded the first title's top-down view and dropped main character Link into a side-scroller. A fan named Michael A. Johnston decided to change the view a second time by converting Zelda II into a first-person shooter. Until you lose a little bit of health anyway, at which point it becomes a first-person poker.

Johnston only remade the game through to the first boss, and changed a few aspects of the game due to time constraints. There are no towns, it doesn't include every enemy, and players don't level-up. You do still run around and poke enemies with a very short sword, so if you play it you'll notice that it definitely feels like Zelda II from a first-person view. If I were Link, I would have invested in a crossbow.

Though the world map looks just like Zelda II's NES version, Johnston's 3D modeling work on the enemies (and on Princess Zelda) looks very nice and fits with the feel of the original game. Johnston says this project is the result of his "learning programming for the first time and a labor of love making this game in 3D." He probably could have picked a more beloved NES game, but hey, he did a nice job nonetheless.

The game can be played through a browser here, and a full walkthrough is included.

Via: CVG

huh, well thats fairly interesting. I'll give it a shot.

Well that was actually not that bad. Not the best I've ever played, but still pretty decent.

Okay, this is very cool. I'll definitely have to try it.

I always loved Zelda 2 and feel it's never really been given it's due and the respect that it deserves. Sure the action areas were side scrolling, but it was very competent and solid side scrolling action.

Interesting concept, but hard as hell when actually playing. It's very difficult to make a 3D game based around melee combat.

I saw this on Gamesradar a few days ago, I guess I'll give it a try tomorrow. I'm never even played a Zelda game before.

It's a nice idea, and it's pretty impressive for a hobbyist's fan project... but I'll take the original over this any day. The gameplay just isn't there.

The game looks pretty decent, I will give it a shot and give feedback. I am glad he's using this to gain more experience in coding.

Just finished playing it, it's a pretty cool idea :P

Ha. That's awesome. I'm playing Zelda II right now :D

Strangely enough, I'm watching a stream of this right now!

I just finished watching the youtube video for this. It's not too bad actually. I think if he cleans up the world a bit more and adds the towns in, it could be interesting (the animations and models actually aren't too bad.)

It took every fiber of my being not to play through this yesterday when I discovered it. I would have gotten nothing else done.

Hmmmm, intereeeesting. Will have to give this a go when I get a bit more free time

god damnit, I'm supposed to be studying... haha But now i've found this.

maybe I'll actually do better in this.

haha, thats actually pretty damn cool

No towns? He must have never read any posts about FF13, the fan base will tear him apart alive.

I....I.....

Awesome.

WE MUST FUND IT!

I wonder how long before nintendo shuts this down.

I always enjoyed 2 and never understood why it got so much flak. I thought 1 was far harder than 2 was.

The game mechanics of Zelda 2 just don't work in 3D. This game justifies that statement.

I don't care how how frustrating this game was for me, I now have to give the 3D version a shot

Edit: I gave it a shot. It wasn't bad but it was far more frustrating than playing it the old fashioned way.

That looks pretty cool. I think I'll try it.

Oh look. The Zelda nobody liked remade as a game not worth playing.

Actually, that was pretty fun. The controls are still a little wonky (and the mouse sensitivity felt too high), but I'm having fun with it.

I.... I.... I don't know what to say.... that's fantastic....

Well, I would play it, but Unity crashed...

Still, it sounds kewl.

... ... ...
I... Can... Can I marry you, Michael A. Johnston? PLEASE?
That was amazing! Walking around that too- familiar overworld, fighting spiders in the forest all over again...
Good sir, I'd like to shake your hand! You know, wherever you are. I'll settle for the the guy who posted this if I have to.

Commander Breetai:

[sarcasm]
Hey, this hateful comment is completely fair and justified. I mean it's not like anyone in this very thread stated that they liked the original game...
[/sarcasm]

LordNue:

That was my exact first thought when I saw the game. The problem as I understand it (and I'm not a lawyer) is that if Nintendo lets people make Zelda games for free, because copyright law is extremely fluid and somewhat open to judicial interpretation, it may still be considered "not protecting their copyright". That sets a bad precedent, one that can be used to undermine Nintendo's rights later and not just once, but Every Single Time someone wants a piece of Zelda pie.

If you're such a monolithic company (and they are) who's continued profitability revolves around milking the same 3 franchises over-and-over-and-over again (and they do), then it's much better to squash the guy who programmed you a 3D love letter and weather the "storm" of angry gamers who will vow to never buy a Nintendo game ever again. And they might hold to that vow for, I dunno, maybe a week? Then Sony or Microsoft will perpetrate some great injustice of their own or the new Smash Bros. game will be announced.

I think Link has been spending too much time with the DooM Marine. xD

I played for a bit, it was definitely different...but not quite Zelda enough for me. xD

BanZeus:

Commander Breetai:

[sarcasm]
Hey, this hateful comment is completely fair and justified. I mean it's not like anyone in this very thread stated that they liked the original game...
[/sarcasm]

LordNue:

That was my exact first thought when I saw the game. The problem as I understand it (and I'm not a lawyer) is that if Nintendo lets people make Zelda games for free, because copyright law is extremely fluid and somewhat open to judicial interpretation, it may still be considered "not protecting their copyright". That sets a bad precedent, one that can be used to undermine Nintendo's rights later and not just once, but Every Single Time someone wants a piece of Zelda pie.

If you're such a monolithic company (and they are) who's continued profitability revolves around milking the same 3 franchises over-and-over-and-over again (and they do), then it's much better to squash the guy who programmed you a 3D love letter and weather the "storm" of angry gamers who will vow to never buy a Nintendo game ever again. And they might hold to that vow for, I dunno, maybe a week? Then Sony or Microsoft will perpetrate some great injustice of their own or the new Smash Bros. game will be announced.

Plus you know, nintendo have shut down smaller fan projects the second they reached this level of internet fame. I guess the key to getting your nintendo fanproject to fruition is to not tell anyone about it until you're done and distribute it.

BanZeus:

Commander Breetai:
Troll Here Sign

LordNue:

God forbid Nintendo might actually think of hiring the guy to finish this project so they can sell it on the Wii for lots of bucks. Why would they want to do that? Oh yeah, because their lawyers are saying to squash him, because to hire him would mean he would get paid(for probably less than what the lawyers cost), and not the lawyers.

LordNue:

Plus you know, nintendo have shut down smaller fan projects the second they reached this level of internet fame. I guess the key to getting your nintendo fanproject to fruition is to not tell anyone about it until you're done and distribute it.

Truth. And/or distribute it anonymously.

samsonguy920:

BanZeus:

Commander Breetai:
Troll Here Sign

LordNue:

God forbid Nintendo might actually think of hiring the guy to finish this project so they can sell it on the Wii for lots of bucks. Why would they want to do that? Oh yeah, because their lawyers are saying to squash him, because to hire him would mean he would get paid(for probably less than what the lawyers cost), and not the lawyers.

Even if their lawyers didn't say "no" they wouldn't. Nintendo never does shit like that. The people who made the Mother 3 fan translation offered to give it to Nintendo and they refused.

I don't want to taint the epicness that is Zelda by playing this game.

It looks sort of cool, I might even try it but the fanboys are going to be all over this thing.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here