Luck Brings First Gameplay Footage of Fallout: New Vegas

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Luck Brings First Gameplay Footage of Fallout: New Vegas

Someone hit triple-7's on the slot machine and this footage from Fallout: New Vegas popped out.

Thanks to an IGN video preview, the first gameplay footage of Obsidian's upcoming Fallout: New Vegas is available to the world. How does it look? Well, a lot like Fallout 3, but it's supposed to.

IGN's Erik Brudvig describes New Vegas as "just like Fallout 3, only totally new." Some of that "totally new" includes the reputation mechanic and some V.A.T.S. tweaks, amongst other gameplay aspects that were detailed in The Escapist's first look at New Vegas in late April.

From the new footage, we also get to see character customization in action, which looks to be handled through something like a love tester you might find at the mall. Combat is very similar, but appears somewhat more focused, if that can be judged from a video and if the use of a grenade machine gun can be considered focused. At the least, super mutants' heads will still explode, and that's all that matters to most people.

The footage is fairly brief, but shows that we'll be dropped right back into what we know from Fallout 3 once New Vegas hits and there won't be too much of a learning curve. I, for one, want to get my hands on those space-based solar weapons. It's going to be pretty tough not to splurge on the Collector's Edition when the game is released this fall.

Source: IGN

Grenade launcher machine gun?

FUCK YEAH!

Looks exactly like Fallout 3. Let's hope they can fix the bugs and faults (Obsidian...).

I hope the meat of the world is better, then I could excuse of F3's shortcomings. Obsidian can do this! Hopefullt they take a series a little closer to its roots.

Looks good, after all why change something that works fairly well?

It looks a bit TO similar to fallout 3.

That was a sword made out of a piece of guttering and downpipe, with a sharpened bit of metal stuck in it.

Yay.

Do. Want. Pre-order placed... now.

The conversations still look sticky, but nonetheless I'm so freaking excited for this game. I won't pre-order it (I learned my lesson with Fallout 3), but I'll be getting it soon after it's released for sure.

I love Fallout 3 but I DESPISE their animation. So stiff and pulls me right back from the immersion when I hit another city or town.

Was posted here yesterday...still not impressed.

Straying Bullet:
I love Fallout 3 but I DESPISE their animation. So stiff and pulls me right back from the immersion when I hit another city or town.

THIS.

Doesn't look like they've improved the game's biggest flaw *AT ALL*.

RvLeshrac:

Straying Bullet:

THIS.

Same. And what happened, I thought they were tweaking the mechanics to make shooting more fluid?

RvLeshrac:

Straying Bullet:

THIS.

They need to stop humping our visuals but rather use an updated or entire knew engine. It's becoming old and stale. In Oblivion it had a wow effect + Mods improved the animation to whole new level.

Assassin's Creed 2 was so immersive for me because of the animation. The way he puts his right leg upon a stair higher than his left already pulled me in. All that weird "Body-sliding" when you hit another character is NOT 2010. At least, for me.

TriggerUnhappy:

RvLeshrac:

Straying Bullet:

THIS.

Same. And what happened, I thought they were tweaking the mechanics to make shooting more fluid?

I don't mind the shooting *so* much, because they're trying to keep it in the realm of SPECIAL and VATS. Hard to really improve RPG shooting.

Errr.. Nice.. I suppose?

But I still stand by my opinion that they could have made this into a patch or DLC or some shit.

I mean, I'm not sure what changes they made to the VATS system, or what the reputation thingy is, but I'm pretty sure some mods to Fallout 3 can accomplish the same damn thing.

Unless they made nut shots possible.. Then I'm buying it

'Luck' brings gameplay footage? I'm glad I didn't put those points in strenght, then. *rimshot*

Well, it looks like Fallout 3.5, but that's not necessarialy a bad thing.

Well. I liked Fallout 3. There were a lot of things I didn't like, but all of which will supposedly be fixed. The V.A.T.S., gunplay and gameplay were all good and adequate. And the hardcore mode will be exciting to try.
The absolute best thing would be some sort of coop option. Obviously it is not meant to do that, what with the game mechanics involving pausing half the time, but I'd really like it. Maybe mods will allow this.

Anyways, def excited for this.

I must remember everyone to be cautious. This is being developed by Obsidian, who is knows for releasing buggy as hell games. And its on the same engine as Fallout 3/Oblivion, which is buggy as hell.

It looks interesting, but it seems like a perfect storm.

I predict it will get mediocre reviews, have a strong start, weak ending, and be bugged to hell.

I do hope however, that the story and writing is brought back to Fallout's level. And when I say that I mean Fallout 1/2, not 3.

*Drool*

Say does anybody know if the collectors edition is just for the 360 and PS3, or isit also avalibal for PC?

Lets put it this way, if Scarlett Johannson came up to me and said "you can sleep with me but I have bugs in my hair" ,I'm not gonna turn her away because of a few insects. Obsidian develops beautiful and unique games.

I've gone in depth on what I think of this (and Obsidian) already, but it really does look like a user-made mod.

Sir Kemper:
*Drool*

Say does anybody know if the collectors edition is just for the 360 and PS3, or isit also avalibal for PC?

According to Gamestop, yes.

I'm ready for it. Should be fun to get back into the Fallout scene.

I think it looks much better than Fallout 3 tbh, im really impressed.

why fix summit that isn't broken? sure it may be buggy but it's a HUGE world, it's bound to have it's bugs, i mean hell, WoW does, but look at it, still beautiful to see and play after god knows how many years.

i think people need to look "outside" the box on a huge RPG game world.

I preordered this negative 5 seconds ago.

Another thread with the same exact conversations...

New Fallout, YEAH
Fallout 3 sux teh ballz, Fallout 1 and 2 were Godly. People who play FO3 are Fa*s
No you suck, FO3 was awesome
Your mother sucks
*Enter Mod and people getting banned*

Sunrise, sunset.

I think it looks okay, I'd like it to be a little different than FO3 at least.

I Did enjoy FO3 and played through a few times , trying different angles going hardcore evil and good respectivly .. Same with Oblivion.
I have to say though that I am getting REALLY tired of gamebryo.. The engine is simply too limited In my opinion and its a shame they dont take a chance and move the IP to something more modern and advanced so they can implement some REALLY interesting features.. Just my 2 bits :D

Meh, just looks like Fallout 3. They show the combat, but jesus, the mutants are getting gunned down and not even flinching until they suddenly explode. I guess fans of FO3 will be happy, though.

I can understand people asking "why change something that works?", but that it just progress, which is important for the industry. If people keep buying the games, great, but with that attitude we never would have had Final Fantasy 7, Resident Evil 4, Super Mario 64, and what have you. Things can always be improved.

Aiming down sights? Hell. Yes.

Looks like Fallout 3, as I'm sure we've all gathered. But then again, not necesarilly a bad thing really, whould burn up a fair few hours when I inevitably get it.

feather240:
Aiming down sights? Hell. Yes.

Sgt. Foley is pleased someone finally listened to him

Looks good. I think I'll enjoy playing this..

RvLeshrac:

TriggerUnhappy:

RvLeshrac:

Straying Bullet:

THIS.

I don't mind the shooting *so* much, because they're trying to keep it in the realm of SPECIAL and VATS. Hard to really improve RPG shooting.

V.A.T.S. is battshit crazy. I love it, but when the AP runs out and you are forced to deal with multiple enemies still, then I prefer having some kind of decent shooter aspect. It's a bit frustating to know you are completly fucked without V.A.T.S.

I really wish they did something about those animations, they are the same clunky ones from four years ago.

I really hope this game is amazing as i hope it will be.
fallout 3 had such a good story and abundance of side plots all eisily and clearly conveyed that i managed to forgive its somewhat shortcomings in combat although this stress was partialy aliviated with vats.

As a man who enjoys Obsidian's work on average more than Bethesda's more recent stuff, I'm excited about this game. But hesitant. We'll see how it goes.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here