Rumor: Nintendo 3DS is More Powerful Than the Wii

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Rumor: Nintendo 3DS is More Powerful Than the Wii

According to some developer buzz, the 3DS could be Nintendo's most powerful system to date.

Since the launch of the original Game Boy in 1989, there's been a fairly simple rule of thumb for the power of Nintendo's handhelds: They're almost always as beefy under the hood as the last generation of hardware.

Makes sense, right? As tech advances, similar power can fit into a smaller space - so the Game Boy and its Color variant were the equivalent of the NES, the GBA was a portable SNES, and the DS is essentially on the level of the Nintendo 64. With that metric in mind, we could probably guesstimate that the Big N's upcoming 3DS would be equal to the last-generation GameCube, right?

Maybe not. According to IGN, several unnamed developers have reported that from what they've seen of the 3DS, its processing power "far exceeds" the Wii. In fact, the sources report that the handheld's capabilities are close to that of the HD-capable PS3 and Xbox 360.

This is an unconfirmed rumor, so standard grain-of-salt protocols should be in effect. It does seem a bit hard to believe, though: Can you really fit something as powerful as the Xbox 360 or PS3 into a handheld format? It has been half a decade since we started seeing the current generation hardware, so perhaps it isn't impossible to imagine that it's been successfully miniaturized by this point.

We'll find out if the claims regarding the 3DS' power are genuine when the device gets a full reveal at E3 next week.

(Via Videogamer)

My shoes are more powerful than the Wii, it isn't all that impressive.

Its not a really big thing to brag about, I have a fish more powerful then the wii.

the sources report that the handheld's capabilities are close to that of the HD-capable PS3 and Xbox 360.

That is when, for me, they have lost all credibility.

This is certainly interesting. Is Nintendo making its move to conquer the handeld market?

Although, if they do have similar capabilities to a 360 and PS3, would it crash like the two consoles? I wonder...

IMPORTANT EDIT: Alright Alright, I'm tired of the "LOL are you sarcastic or dumn OHIHOHIHOIHOH"

So there!

Random Argument Man:

Tharwen:
What's the point? It's not like the screen's big enough to display that power...

Random Argument Man:
This is certainly interesting. Is Nintendo making its move to conquer the handeld market?

That would be the handheld market which has been in their possession for about 15 years?

As I've said before, Apple is knocking on handheld's door. Making this move would dominate the market before Apple can put their hands in the money pot.

This just means more expensive games, and DS games are expensive enough already.

It's a bit hard to swallow. But still intrested to see how this will develop...if it does become true makes me wonder what the going price will be

-Now- their handheld's gonna be... oh wait a minute. Their handheld already -IS- more popular than their system. XP

My hair is more powerful than the Wii. I think Playstation 2 is more powerful than Wii... Hell, my cellphone! Okay, bad example, but close.

No doubt it will be more powerful than their DS but I doubt it can be on par with the PS3 or 360. I don't think something that powerful can be handheld or have a long battery life at the moment. I think something as strong as a PS3 or 360 would have to be laptop sized at least. But it would be cool to be proven wrong. I'll sit here as a skeptic until E3

Bragging about being more powerful than the Wii is like being proud of a D- report card...

Ok, we all know Nintendo is never the powerhouse console on the market, and handhelds will never truly match the power of the same era's true consoles. None the less, they can be potent little fuckers and I for one have spent more time on my DS than on the Wii and 360 combined. But it's not about power, it's about the games themselves. Nobody would think of releasing "Advance Wars Days of Ruin" on the consoles, not without changing everything about the game and turning a simple sprite-based TBS into a full 3D RTS. But would Advance Wars be better as an RTS? I don't think so... There's a market for simplistic, dated and generally unimpressive looking games, and Handhelds are their medium. Beefing the power only makes it less and less likely that these retro styles will continue to flourish on the new system.

Gabanuka:
Its not a really big thing to brag about, I have a fish more powerful then the wii.

TheGhostOfSin:

Did you guys even read the whole thing?

Assuming this is true (and that's a big assumption, I personally can't see it being any more powerful than the GameCube. Which would mean it would be on a par with the Wii), it means that the PC fanboys bemoaning the 360 and PS3 holding back graphics may have a point.

PS The PlayStation 2 was by far the weakest of the last generation in terms of power.

IF this is true, then this is going to cost approximately the same as a PS3 now.

Calumon: So they can make a handheld that's super powerful, has two screens and touch screen and probably Wifi. But when you get a little thin, One screen, touch screen device with wifi, we have to pay £400 for it on launch?

on par with the Wii... well that seems do-able...

but a match for the 360 and PS3..? a smell bullcr*p...

Jack and Calumon:
Calumon: So they can make a handheld that's super powerful, has two screens and touch screen and probably Wifi. But when you get a little thin, One screen, touch screen device with wifi, we have to pay £400 for it on launch?

Point. Since the iPad has been really quite popular, there's a possibility that the "glass ceiling" on handheld prices have been removed. Although this is Nintendo we're talking about. This is the company that launched the GameCube for £130. I doubt the 3DS will be above £200, probably less than £150.

I think that it is definitely plausible that the 3DS could be as powerful as a Wii since the wii is running basically the same hardware as the Gamecube with minor upgrades. Certainly following the trend I could see a handheld version of the GC/Wii in terms of graphical capabilities. I doubt we will see anything that would be HD other than in name. Some "HD" versions of old movies are the same movie with very little visual difference. I will assume that games will be labeled the same way with some "HD" games looking very much not HD.

Jeez, a lot of Wii bashing in here. I guess people forget that Nintendo IS capable of a powerhouse system (the Gamecube was stronger than the PS2 and equivalent to the Xbox, remember). That said, the idea that a handheld is equivalent to a 360 or PS3 sounds ludicrous at best, but Nintendo is capable of fitting some impressive hardware in a very small space.

We shall see how this pans out.

Gabanuka:

This man speaks the truth.

I'm trying to imagine how long the battery life of any handheld that powerful would be, to be honest.

feather240:

Gabanuka:

TheGhostOfSin:

Yes I did, and that stops me taking a dig at the wii how?

Huh, That's definitely an interesting claim. I guess there will eventually be a point where the graphics of handhelds catch up with the consoles. Might as well be sooner rather than later. That being said, 60-80% of gamers don't really care about handhelds (myself not one of them)

That thing is going to burn a hole through my hands.

My teeth are stronger and more capable than the Wii or that supposed "Near HD 360" capabilities of that thing. Also, if there was any grain of truth in it, I would worry about the battery life.

Cmoon Smash Bros, Zelda and Metroid ports!

TheGhostOfSin:

feather240:

Gabanuka:

TheGhostOfSin:

Oh it doesn't, it just shows your and everyone elses complete lack of originality. Yes, we get it, the Wii isn't as powerful as the 360 and PS3, it's only at least 3 times as popular.

Also wasn't there already a topic on this? Oh well. It does seem unlikely that the claims could be true. The PS3 and the Xbox360 aren't exactly cutting edge technology but it's not as if they can shrink it down more. Still the Wii is pretty small for the graphics it can push out and a lot of that size would be disc tray and reader, Gamecube support options and whatnot so it could well be feasible to make something smaller than it with better graphics since I assume it won't be using massive DVDs for games and thus won't need a massive disc reader.

Probably just a wii with a DS screen attached to it.

My toaster has more processing power than the Wii, it's not a big deal.

it doesn't mean the 3DS is insanely powerful, it just means the Wii is laughably weak.

t_rexaur:

TheGhostOfSin:

feather240:

Gabanuka:

TheGhostOfSin:

Oh it doesn't, it just shows your and everyone elses complete lack of originality. Yes, we get it, the Wii isn't as powerful as the 360 and PS3, it's only at least 3 times as popular.

Also wasn't there already a topic on this? Oh well. It does seem unlikely that the claims could be true. The PS3 and the Xbox360 aren't exactly cutting edge technology but it's not as if they can shrink it down more. Still the Wii is pretty small for the graphics it can push out and a lot of that size would be disc tray and reader, Gamecube support options and whatnot so it could well be feasible to make something smaller than it with better graphics since I assume it won't be using massive DVDs for games and thus won't need a massive disc reader.

The Iphone and the Droid Incredible are about 1/4 the size of a DS, and they are both more powerful than the Wii, the idea that it's impossible to have something the size of the DS3D with more power than the Wii is just wrong, there are already things more powerful for less than half that size.

On par with the 360 and the PS3? What a bunch of shit

Also according to totally random not planned out for publicity buzz "The DS3D also acts as a fully functional jetpack"

Bull. Fucking. Shit. I don't believe for a second that it could be in any way similar to the 360 or ps3. The Wii is plausible though, seeing has it is pretty much just a Gamecube with motion sensing.

Whether or not their claims are true or not, I'm not a little disappointed as I just purchased a DSi. I probably should have waited for the latest generation to come out... but, then again, it's probably going to cost twice as much, so perhaps I made a good decision.

Seeing that the Wii is nothing but a Gamecube with a bad gimmick I don't doubt that their new handheld will be more powerful. However, I doubt it will be up to par with the 360 or PS3.

danpascooch:

t_rexaur:

TheGhostOfSin:

feather240:

Gabanuka:

TheGhostOfSin:

The Iphone and the Droid Incredible are about 1/4 the size of a DS, and they are both more powerful than the Wii, the idea that it's impossible to have something the size of the DS3D with more power than the Wii is just wrong, there are already things more powerful for less than half that size.

They have raw power yes, but how does that translate into gaming? Could the Ipad, for example, play Super Mario Galaxy 2? I've also heard that while the Ipad has Sam and Max Season 3 on it, it had some trouble with the first episode. Of course it was released early on it, but the Wii has had Sam and Max seasons 1 and 2 with no problems, apart from it being localized and released.

When I said shrunk down, I meant the size of the consoles and that is usually because of the Disc Tray, something I mentioned in my post had you actually bothered to read it all instead of finding the one part you thought you could counter and leaping on it. I'm going to check up on this, but I'm thinking that the IPad is probably about the same size as the Wii, but thinner because it doesn't take discs, or USB ports for that matter.

So, a handheld as powerful as a next-gen console.
Yup, that doesn't sound right. At all.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or