Rumor: Nintendo 3DS is More Powerful Than the Wii

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Yeahhh, this can't be true. It's already been reported that it's similar in power to a Gamecube, so I think this may be a case of over-exaggeration

I don't care what anyone says, I love Reggie Fils-Amie. I mean, just look at that pic!

Close to PS3? I highly doubt that, however the 360 has exceptionally weak graphical processing power, in comparison to your mid-range GPUs of today, so I can easily believe a handheld device with power that of the 360 or better coming out of Nintendo. After all we are talking about JAPAN here, they just do that shit.

That would be awesome if it works and this is true. I remain skeptical until then.

unlimited detail... the only way this is true is that they are debuting that technology on the 3ds..

if its true, I totally called it.

and honestly people... wii isnt THAT week for heavens sake.

Well I suppose it's possible due to the fact that the current console generation has lasted quite a while already and is still going to be going on for a while. On top of that I never believed the expense involved in manufacturing the PS-3 and 360 to begin with... so I imagine it's remotely possible.

Another thing to consider though is how much a 3DS is going to set you back, given the release of the larger than normal DS systems not too long ago and the like, I'm wondering if maybe this is going to be overkill. I mean $200 or so for a portable is fairly reasonable in most cases, however if this system is that much better than systems that are already in this price range, are they going to try and charge as much as a full-sized nex-gen console for a handheld? I'm not sure when I'd be able to afford chomping on that bit, or even if I would when I could given the use I get out of such systems comparitively speaking.

OH SNAP! Nintendo giving their consoles POWER!

That's not really much to brag about. Well, if by more powerful, they mean, "Will actually have all the shit we promised come Launch." Then again, E3's around the corner, so who knows?

If this were true, I would never really need to by another immobile console, would I?

I really doubt it's true. Nintendo is good but not that good.

"According to IGN"

And that's where I stopped reading. Of course it's bogus. It's IGN!

My PC from 2001 is much more powerful than a Wii. It was about as powerful as a XboX 360.

Wow this seems like bull but no point in not having hope.

As are my underpants.

sailor_960:
That being said, 60-80% of gamers don't really care about handhelds (myself not one of them)

The sales of the nintendo DS are roughly equal to the combined sales of all three current gen consoles....your percentage may be just a bit off

Put in perspective xbox360 game runs at 720p. Since 3DS runs 3D it needs to process same image twice, therefore it'd need the same power as xbox360 to even run at 360p resolution. Of course that's over simplified a lot, but you get the idea.

If it's running some offshoot of snapdragon and tegra, yeah, that actually sounds plausible. The Wii's got a 729 Mhz power PC CPU. There are ARM processors embedded into cellphones, right now, that run at 1 Ghz. Now, ARM is not PowerPC. The architectures are different, and direct comparisons are beyond me. Nonetheless, it's not implausible that a new handheld could outperform the Wii.

Yes, finally, i can pay hundreds of pounds to have true to life HD and brilliant texture and renduring..... on a screen 3 inches wide... Good Job Nintendo.

twasdfzxcv:
Put in perspective xbox360 game runs at 720p. Since 3DS runs 3D it needs to process same image twice, therefore it'd need the same power as xbox360 to even run at 360p resolution. Of course that's over simplified a lot, but you get the idea.

Actually, it would need only half as much power to display 360 horizontal rows of pixels twice. The difference in pixels between 1280x720p and 640x320p is four times, not double.

mjc0961:
"According to IGN"

And that's where I stopped reading. Of course it's bogus. It's IGN!

No jive. This reeks of untruth at best, Molyneaux-level hyperoptimism at worst.

Random Argument Man:
This is certainly interesting. Is Nintendo making its move to conquer the handeld market?

Is this sarcasm?

Nintendo have pretty much always dominated the handheld market.

Kruxxor:

Random Argument Man:
This is certainly interesting. Is Nintendo making its move to conquer the handeld market?

Is this sarcasm?

Nintendo have pretty much always dominated the handheld market.

It's been stated that Apple are becoming a good force on the handheld market. If the rumor is true, then Apple doesn't stand a chance. General rule of the strong is to kick the newborn in the teeth before he can stand up.

I would make another joke about my pet rock being more powerful than the Wii, but everyone's already made the best ones.

I will say though, that any time a handheld console has more power than a next-generation (supposedly) console, you're probably looking at a crappy next-gen console.

TyroSe7en:
Close to PS3? I highly doubt that, however the 360 has exceptionally weak graphical processing power, in comparison to your mid-range GPUs of today, so I can easily believe a handheld device with power that of the 360 or better coming out of Nintendo. After all we are talking about JAPAN here, they just do that shit.

If the 360 is weak, what does that make the PS3?

My PC knocks them both to the ground.

This doesn't surprise me. The 3DS is in 3D (obviously), ergo it needs to process two images (well, okay, four images) at the same time, so of course it's going to need a certain amount of power under the hood.

It all sounds very interesting. If not dealt with properly, and the graphics are really that high-end, the battery life would wear out about 10 seconds after pressing the ON switch.

The 3DS is all very good, but I still want my portable GameCube

Hey, as long as I don't have to flail my arms around like an idiot to accomplish anything...sounds good to me.

but then again, I never buy or play handhelds. I prefer to play on a screen I can actually see.

ThrobbingEgo:
If it's running some offshoot of snapdragon and tegra, yeah, that actually sounds plausible. The Wii's got a 729 Mhz power PC CPU. There are ARM processors embedded into cellphones, right now, that run at 1 Ghz. Now, ARM is not PowerPC. The architectures are different, and direct comparisons are beyond me. Nonetheless, it's not implausible that a new handheld could outperform the Wii.

I'm glad you at least understand that numbers don't always equate to power. You'd be surprised at the amount of people who do.

Hmm, thinking about it, could they get it as powerful as a PS3/360? As people have pointed out these consoles tend to play games at ultra high resolutions and do all these other things that require a lot of graphical power. You could easily use the same kind of components in something much smaller if you weren't taxing it as much as you were in the consoles.

So something with the same kind of specs as a console is feasible. But of the same POWER? I would have to say very likely not. If it can manage to do Gamecube/Wii power and in 3D and not be much bigger than a DSi I will be deeply impressed.

Edit:

Zenn3k:

but then again, I never buy or play handhelds. I prefer to play on a screen I can actually see.

Pity. You're missing out on a different but no less viable world of gaming.

I doubt that this is true, not just because I'm not sure that technology exists yet, but because I don't think Nintendo's going to suddenly try to catch up with the other two consoles' graphics (on a handheld, no less) when the majority of their aduience probably doesn't give two shits.

I hope this happens when the 3DS comes out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiMHTK15Pik

I would love to see all the fanboy jaw droppage when Nintendo comes out with a handheld that is more powerful than the 360 and PS3. It is still a longshot but if anyone could pull it off it is probably Nintendo.

KrazyKain:
unlimited detail... the only way this is true is that they are debuting that technology on the 3ds..

if its true, I totally called it.

and honestly people... wii isnt THAT week for heavens sake.

If you are going to misspell weak you should at least made it a pun: The Nintendo Wiik

If the DS3D is more powerful than the Wii, it just makes the Wii that much more pathetic a system. It could've been more powerful, if only slightly, but instead its just a slow, embarrassing piece of hardware.

So yeah, another Nintendo product. Will it have mountains of shovelware? Yes it will. Just like the GBA, the DS and the Wii.

DaMan1500:
I doubt that this is true, not just because I'm not sure that technology exists yet, but because I don't think Nintendo's going to suddenly try to catch up with the other two consoles' graphics (on a handheld, no less) when the majority of their aduience probably doesn't give two shits.

The handheld market is similar and yet different to the consoles. Nintendo is pretty much the daddy there and if they want power they'll damn well do it.

You're right though it's probably not true. Not for the reasons you think though, but probably more because getting something that powerful AND doing it in 3D just doesn't seem likely. As I said above: In terms of numbers I'd say you'll probably see hardware like what you'd get in a PS3/360. In terms of the games actually looking like a PS3/360 game, not gonna happen. Gamecube/Wii at best I think, but even then that would be damn impressive.

Autofaux:
If the DS3D is more powerful than the Wii, it just makes the Wii that much more pathetic a system. It could've been more powerful, if only slightly, but instead its just a slow, embarrassing piece of hardware.

So yeah, another Nintendo product. Will it have mountains of shovelware? Yes it will. Just like the GBA, the DS and the Wii.

Oh come on get over youself. It's not as if the PS3/360 is somehow magically devoid of shovelware, they just have the decency to put it on their online shops, which, ironically, is where you can get the best Wii shovelware.

Also yes, the Wii isn't as powerful as the 360/PS3 we ALL KNOW. But do you know what, do you really think Nintendo care while they look down on everyone on the massive piles of cash they've made from the thing.

Personally I think the only reason people get so butthurt over the Wii is because any console rivalry is made moot by the fact that the Wii has sold almost as much as the PS3 and 360 combined.

People apparently only love an underdog as long as it's not beating them it seems.

SirDerick:

the sources report that the handheld's capabilities are close to that of the HD-capable PS3 and Xbox 360.

That is when, for me, they have lost all credibility.

If Nintendo was bragging about it, I wouldn't believe it either and I am a huge Nintendo fanboy, but this is coming from the developers and I don't see what they would gain by lying for Nintendo especially since all the rumors would be exposed at E3 this year.

You guys need to think about past nintendo games.
Super mario rpg think about this game on the snes and look at the golden sun series on the gba.
They could easily produce a game that gives it the appearance of being of that power without running such power.
Most certainly gamers these days don't know that the images they see that look pretty don't really matter.

Lets face it Nintendo does things people don't even think of.
They might be able to pull off a power of a portable between a Wii and a 360's power.

Balobo:

TyroSe7en:

If the 360 is weak, what does that make the PS3?

My PC knocks them both to the ground.

I give the PS3 a hearty above average :) and your PC BETTER KNOCK THEM BOTH OUT! Ha ha

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here