Rumor: Nintendo 3DS is More Powerful Than the Wii

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo could put HD into a handheld, but not a processor/video card that can match the 360 and PS3. I'll wait for the reveal of the 3DS next week before I make anymore conclusions.

Autofaux:
If the DS3D is more powerful than the Wii, it just makes the Wii that much more pathetic a system. It could've been more powerful, if only slightly, but instead its just a slow, embarrassing piece of hardware.

So yeah, another Nintendo product. Will it have mountains of shovelware? Yes it will. Just like the GBA, the DS and the Wii.

I'm sorry what?
All 3 of those systems have so many great games.
Maybe if you ignore the shovelware for the casual gamers you would notice.
Probably one of those people only interested in shooters.

sees title:
hmmm that's not hard
tho my calculator might still be more powerful

SirDerick:

the sources report that the handheld's capabilities are close to that of the HD-capable PS3 and Xbox 360.

That is when, for me, they have lost all credibility.

Yeah if that's true in such a small size it will catch fire in your hands in no time

Wait...

A handheld as powerful as a console?

Something seems off. I can't put my finger on it. Just not right...

It just feels off... I don't know how. I still wish I had it anyway, but something's not completely on the money here.

What's the point? It's not like the screen's big enough to display that power...

Random Argument Man:
This is certainly interesting. Is Nintendo making its move to conquer the handeld market?

That would be the handheld market which has been in their possession for about 15 years?

I'll believe it when I see it.

well its totaly possible for a hand held to be close in power to a 360 or ps3 but nintendo has always been more about good price and long battery life so Id take the rumor with a grain of salt altho Im still curious as hell to see what the 3ds will be like

Considering a Wii is more powerful than an Xbox, I find this pretty impressive for a handheld.

SextusMaximus:
Considering a Wii is more powerful than an Xbox, I find this pretty impressive for a handheld.

The wii isn't more powerful than an xbox.

Worgen:
well its totaly possible for a hand held to be close in power to a 360 or ps3 but nintendo has always been more about good price and long battery life so Id take the rumor with a grain of salt altho Im still curious as hell to see what the 3ds will be like

Well the 3DS will be ugly and have poor screen quality but have a DS slot to go with the next gen 3DS slot.

Then the 3DSLite will have better screens, be smaller and be better overall.

3DSi will not have the DS slot but will let you webchat with a friend if you have their 32 digit friend code, their 14 digit webchat code...

:U

Alar:
Whether or not their claims are true or not, I'm not a little disappointed as I just purchased a DSi. I probably should have waited for the latest generation to come out... but, then again, it's probably going to cost twice as much, so perhaps I made a good decision.

Ironically, I have recently been considering purchasing a DS Lite and this bit of news actually makes me want to buy one even more rather then wait for the 3DS. Since if the new system is even remotely as powerful as this rumour claims to be, it will probably be very expensive and be rather limited on the number of games that run on it.

I will still wait for E3 and make my decision then. But this, combined with the recent poll I made, tilts me towards getting a DS.

Wii, I wouldn't doubt it. I'm sure it takes a fair bit of muscle to make realtime 3D with what whatever technology they're using.

PS3/360 would be a far broader stretch. UNLESS the graphics they're applying 3D to looks somewhere around Wii/late GCN. Then I'd believe it. Nintendo has more than proven they are willing to hold off visual tech and advance elsewhere, so it would take a massive amount of power to have 3D without a visual trade off.

They better give us some form of idea of what we're looking at.

GrimHeaper:

Autofaux:
If the DS3D is more powerful than the Wii, it just makes the Wii that much more pathetic a system. It could've been more powerful, if only slightly, but instead its just a slow, embarrassing piece of hardware.

So yeah, another Nintendo product. Will it have mountains of shovelware? Yes it will. Just like the GBA, the DS and the Wii.

I'm sorry what?

I don't remember ever saying they didn't, and that was never the issue. But finding a good game for any of these systems, you have to claw through a mountainous pile of fecal matter products.

For every great game made on each of these systems, usually developed by Nintendo themselves or its a Pokemon game, there are over a thousand movie tie-ins, Bratz/Barbie games and other tripe.

And with the way you brushed off casual gamers, I could make many assumptions about you. But I'm not, because I'm not a child.

Considering the Wii hardly matches the original xbox or PS2 as far as hardware goes it's not all that impressive.

Snotnarok:

SextusMaximus:

Worgen:

Well the 3DS will be ugly and have poor screen quality but have a DS slot to go with the next gen 3DS slot.

3DSi will not have the DS slot but will let you webchat with a friend if you have their 32 digit friend code, their 14 digit webchat code...

sounds like someones grumpy, sounds like someone needs a huuuuug, someone hug this gloomy gus

t_rexaur:

ThrobbingEgo:
If it's running some offshoot of snapdragon and tegra, yeah, that actually sounds plausible. The Wii's got a 729 Mhz power PC CPU. There are ARM processors embedded into cellphones, right now, that run at 1 Ghz. Now, ARM is not PowerPC. The architectures are different, and direct comparisons are beyond me. Nonetheless, it's not implausible that a new handheld could outperform the Wii.

I'm glad you at least understand that numbers don't always equate to power. You'd be surprised at the amount of people who do.

Hmm, thinking about it, could they get it as powerful as a PS3/360? As people have pointed out these consoles tend to play games at ultra high resolutions and do all these other things that require a lot of graphical power. You could easily use the same kind of components in something much smaller if you weren't taxing it as much as you were in the consoles.

So something with the same kind of specs as a console is feasible. But of the same POWER? I would have to say very likely not. If it can manage to do Gamecube/Wii power and in 3D and not be much bigger than a DSi I will be deeply impressed.

Edit:

Zenn3k:

but then again, I never buy or play handhelds. I prefer to play on a screen I can actually see.

Pity. You're missing out on a different but no less viable world of gaming.

I wasn't referring to 360 or PS3 power. We've only recently succeeded in getting that affordably console-sized, but there has been dreamcast quality graphics on handhelds for quite a while.

My bet is that the 3DS is just going to deliver DS quality graphics in 3D, as Nintendo has a history of providing only as much power (and cost to their profits) as they feel necessary. The simpler the graphics are, the less work it takes to produce them, and more 3rd party publishers can afford to be onboard. Still, the technology for handhelds more powerful than the Wii should already be there.

Snotnarok:

SextusMaximus:

Than the original Xbox? Yes it is.

The Hairminator:
Considering the Wii hardly matches the original xbox or PS2 as far as hardware goes it's not all that impressive.

its about as powerful as an xbox and much more powerful then the ps2, it only looks worse since back then everyone had a standard tv but now everyone has an hd set so its lower res looks like crap on an hd set even with component cables, that and not many publishers really try and make really good looking games on it, so far only nintendo and capcom, at least those are the only 2 I can think of

Tharwen:
What's the point? It's not like the screen's big enough to display that power...

Random Argument Man:
This is certainly interesting. Is Nintendo making its move to conquer the handeld market?

That would be the handheld market which has been in their possession for about 15 years?

As I've said before, Apple is knocking on handheld's door. Making this move would dominate the market before Apple can put their hands in the money pot.

I could imagine them putting a good CPU in it, but the graphics card is a whole other story. Sure it won't chug along, but I can't imagine it having Wii comparible graphics.

It seems like people doubting low wattage processing power have never heard of Intel's atom chip. Not designed for graphics, but it's very possible to get great processing power out of a very small space. The issue is cost.

A hand held being as powerful as a PS3 seems far-fetched to me. However, Nintendo have been rolling some mad cash over the years, so maybe they've made super advances and plan to keep their market positions? XD

Maybe they mean it will look as good as the 360 or ps3 but the screen res on the 3DS will very likely NOT be an HD resolution. In this respect it doesn't actually need to be as powerful.

MetaKnight19:

The 3DS is all very good, but I still want my portable GameCube

I'd buy that for a dollar...

Seriously though, that freakin rocks. And oh what I'd give for a DS with an analog stick, Mario 64DS was just such a pain without it.

Running in 3D will have an impact on visual performance. If you want Gamecube quality graphics rendered in 3D then your hardware is going to have to be more powerful than the Gamecube's. What people seem to be forgetting though, is that we're already more or less in the next generation of hardware. ATI's DX11 video cards (such as the Radeon 5900) are downright beastly. Hardware has (in my opinion) been progressing faster than software can keep up it seems.

Personally, I don't think it's too unreasonable for the 3DS to have have a level of processing power approaching that of the 360. That doesn't mean you'll be playing games that look like Mass Effect though. Of course, this all purely speculation and I might be completely off the mark.

Yesterday I took a ride.
I spent hours looking at the countryside, marveling at nature.
Fields of green and fields of yellow went by. Horses, cows.
After a while, my wife called me. She said she wanted to tell me something. Said she wanted me to meet her at the old lake.
She was just standing there, tears in her eyes. She looked at me, gave me a smile, and told me she had cancer. I asked empty questions, like the what kind, how bad was it.
We cried together for a while. I said it would be ok. I said we could fight this.
She just looked away. After a while, she picked up a flat stone and skipped it across the surface of the lake.
That stone was more powerful than the Wii.

starwarsgeek:

sailor_960:
That being said, 60-80% of gamers don't really care about handhelds (myself not one of them)

The sales of the nintendo DS are roughly equal to the combined sales of all three current gen consoles....your percentage may be just a bit off

Yes, sales show that its the most popular but in all reality, most "serious" or "hardcore" gamers really don't care about the handhelds since they don't have as great multiplayer (in the popular opinion). Its their loss.

sailor_960:

starwarsgeek:

sailor_960:
That being said, 60-80% of gamers don't really care about handhelds (myself not one of them)

The sales of the nintendo DS are roughly equal to the combined sales of all three current gen consoles....your percentage may be just a bit off

Yes, sales show that its the most popular but in all reality, most "serious" or "hardcore" gamers really don't care about the handhelds since they don't have as great multiplayer (in the popular opinion). Its their loss.

Okay, I guess I see where you're coming from. Agreed on being their loss. I haven't used the online on my DS once, and I still love the thing. Some of my favorite childhood games rereleased/remade (Mario 64, Kirby All Stars, Pokemon Silver, Chrono Trigger), and pleanty of other good stuff (Mario RPGS, Mario Kart, Castlevanai: Order of Ecclesia, NSMB, a Metal Slug sequel!!!,and a Yoshi's Island sequel). Nostalgic memories are always good, but I think the best part is the DS bringing classics and games in the same style to a new generation.

I wonder why we haven't seen an Ocarina of Time or Majoras Mask port....guess they're saving them for the 3DS.

I doubt this, but if it's true, we could be seeing some amazing handheld games.

t_rexaur:

danpascooch:

t_rexaur:

TheGhostOfSin:

feather240:

Gabanuka:
Its not a really big thing to brag about, I have a fish more powerful then the wii.

TheGhostOfSin:
My shoes are more powerful than the Wii, it isn't all that impressive.

Did you guys even read the whole thing?

Yes I did, and that stops me taking a dig at the wii how?

Oh it doesn't, it just shows your and everyone elses complete lack of originality. Yes, we get it, the Wii isn't as powerful as the 360 and PS3, it's only at least 3 times as popular.

Also wasn't there already a topic on this? Oh well. It does seem unlikely that the claims could be true. The PS3 and the Xbox360 aren't exactly cutting edge technology but it's not as if they can shrink it down more. Still the Wii is pretty small for the graphics it can push out and a lot of that size would be disc tray and reader, Gamecube support options and whatnot so it could well be feasible to make something smaller than it with better graphics since I assume it won't be using massive DVDs for games and thus won't need a massive disc reader.

The Iphone and the Droid Incredible are about 1/4 the size of a DS, and they are both more powerful than the Wii, the idea that it's impossible to have something the size of the DS3D with more power than the Wii is just wrong, there are already things more powerful for less than half that size.

They have raw power yes, but how does that translate into gaming? Could the Ipad, for example, play Super Mario Galaxy 2? I've also heard that while the Ipad has Sam and Max Season 3 on it, it had some trouble with the first episode. Of course it was released early on it, but the Wii has had Sam and Max seasons 1 and 2 with no problems, apart from it being localized and released.

When I said shrunk down, I meant the size of the consoles and that is usually because of the Disc Tray, something I mentioned in my post had you actually bothered to read it all instead of finding the one part you thought you could counter and leaping on it. I'm going to check up on this, but I'm thinking that the IPad is probably about the same size as the Wii, but thinner because it doesn't take discs, or USB ports for that matter.

The whole point of the article is not to say one is of higher quality than another, but that it is more powerful, as in processing power.

So when you just said "They have more raw power yes" you just destroyed your argument.

I get what you're saying, but the topic here is about power, so saying "yes they have power BUT" doesn't counter any of what I or the article is saying, since this thread is ABOUT power.

Random Argument Man:

Tharwen:

Random Argument Man:

As I've said before, Apple is knocking on handheld's door. Making this move would dominate the market before Apple can put their hands in the money pot.

You make a good point. I concede.

Worgen:

Snotnarok:

SextusMaximus:

Worgen:

sounds like someones grumpy, sounds like someone needs a huuuuug, someone hug this gloomy gus

Don't get your nickers in a twist over a silly joke, I have a DSLite.

Edit: If you're not getting said joke, it's a joke over the current DS models.

Honestly I should have put the first 3DS wont have a backlight, then you'll have to get the 3DS SP. Wakka wakka, I'll be here all week folks

Autofaux:

GrimHeaper:

Autofaux:

I'm sorry what?

I don't remember ever saying they didn't, and that was never the issue. But finding a good game for any of these systems, you have to claw through a mountainous pile of fecal matter products.

For every great game made on each of these systems, usually developed by Nintendo themselves or its a Pokemon game, there are over a thousand movie tie-ins, Bratz/Barbie games and other tripe.

And with the way you brushed off casual gamers, I could make many assumptions about you. But I'm not, because I'm not a child.

It is called good business many companies pay them to make those products and you don't have to claw through it to find the good games at all you can tell by a glance if they are good or bad and if we are going to talk about shovelware Sony and Microsoft has had their fare share of that to.
That last sentence you made would be an assumption.
(I'm assuming that you will say I am assuming that your last sentence is an assumption.)
It is true most of the shovelware is aimed at casual gamers.
Not an assumption at all.

sailor_960:

starwarsgeek:

sailor_960:

Multiplayer is hardly why games sell.
It is people's egos that sell they want to "Be the best" and make fun of other people, teabags,etc.
This isn't true for some of the gamers that just want to have fun with people while playing against people online, but we should all know about the mass majority of assholes on MW2 and other online games that treat it like multiplayer.
Wait you were talking about actual multiplayer like having people come over to play at your house? My bad.

Considering the 3DS has no need to render things in 720p or even in 480p (it's a small screen), and that the xbox 360 is really old (my computer is more than one year old and is stronger), I don't see any issues with the 3DS being able to render similar graphics.
When talking about raw power, games aren't required to be 3D.
It may be capable, but that doesn't guarantee we're going to see games that uses all that power.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here