Mario Joins NASCAR

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Mario Joins NASCAR

Next Saturday at the NASCAR Meijer 300, one of the competing cars will be emblazoned with the world's most famous plumber.

When you think about Nintendo's iconic mascot and racing, you think of Mario Kart, right? You think of little zippy karts shooting green shells (and those cheap-ass spiky shells) and dropping banana peels with reckless abandon. You don't think of the billion-horsepower stock cars that burn rubber on the NASCAR circuit.

And yet, the two are teaming up nonetheless. Next Saturday, June 12th, NASCAR driver Joey Logano will step behind the wheel of the No.20 GameStop car to race in the NASCAR Meijer 300 at the Kentucky Speedway. The car in question will be decorated with "characters and elements" from Nintendo's rather stellar Super Mario Galaxy 2.

The image you see here is just a mock-up, not what the car will actually look like - but we can imagine that it'll look close to this, can't we? There will be Mario, there will be Yoshi, and there will probably be Lumas. There may or may not be power stars - who can say for sure?

If Nintendo and NASCAR can promise me that No.20 will suddenly start firing red shells at everyone in front of it, then I can officially say I will be watching this race.

I can see this going very badly...
I mean, Mario going to the "Left"?[1]

Other than that, interested in seeing what the Car will look like when it's done, but not the Race itself.

[1] I know that not all Nascar races are just "Left Turns", but it's funnier when they are.

Either way, I'm still not watching the beer-induced crashfest that is NASCAR.

When he crashes- No, when he merely dents that image of Mario, he can expect the wrath of 40,000 Nintendo fans to crash down upon him.

TheNumber1Zero:
I mean, Mario going to the "Left"?

Other than that, interested in seeing what the Car will look like when it's done, but not the Race itself.

Are you expecting a joke about him being not right?

They should put some red turtle shells on the front just to scare and confuse other racers when they check their rear view mirror.

I hope this happens because its another step towrads mainstream acceptance of gaming.

If I do not see a huge wreck caused by a single banana peel, I am going to re-enact the plot of 'Air Force One'.

demoman_chaos:

Am I... eh?

I was joking that he always seems to be walking towards the Right of the Screen in his Games, the 2D/2.5D ones anyways.

No clue what you're going on about.

That, is an epic car. If I saw that I would be totally supporting it!

If it throws out shells at the other competitor's then that'll be something to watching.

I hope it doesnt throw blue shells, then everybody is screwed. Or goes star power.

TheNumber1Zero:
I mean, Mario going to the "Left"?

You win.

Mods, please lock this thread, as no further comments need be posted.

Just wait for the blue shell... that'll make things so much more interesting.

And it better shoot out sparks when it turns hard.

If Nintendo and NASCAR can promise me that No.20 will suddenly start firing red shells at everyone in front of it, then I can officially say I will be watching this race.

That is all

This is Awesome!
While im a fan of Jeff Gorden ill keep my eye on #20 this Saturday.

Gigaguy64:
This is Awesome!

I didn't know you like NASCAR.

I want that car!

Yes, because Mario is the kind of thing one wants to see on a rolling hood after a crash.

I can't wait for the inevitable crash and to see a man burning to death on the image of Mario. You can't buy publicity like that.

Aura Guardian:

Gigaguy64:
This is Awesome!

I didn't know you like NASCAR?

I want that car!

Sure do.
And while its kind of a stereotype to say all United States Southerners love NASCAR...it kind of true.

I was raised with NASCAR, and i though it was boring as a kid, now i like it.
Almost all of my family on both my Mom and my Dad's sides love NASCAR too.
Heck, most of the people i know like NASCAR for some reason.

The trick is, prior to the inevitable crash-up, to get a Starman so he can just plow invincibly through any obstacle. Might suck for the folks in the stands, but hey, the back of their tickets has liability waivers, they knew what they were getting into. Now, the REAL trick'll be when a new Twisted Metal game comes out and there's a NASCAR race involving that...

Fuck, shells need to be added to NASCAR!

This car is probably going to get a LOT of tv time, too. Not only does it have a unique sponsor, but Logano won the last two years apparently. I might have to watch to see the announcers reactions.

TheNumber1Zero:

demoman_chaos:

Am I... eh?

I was joking that he always seems to be walking towards the Right of the Screen in his Games, the 2D/2.5D ones anyways.

No clue what you're going on about.

...why didn't I get that when I first saw it? *goes off to laugh for a minute*

OT: Unlike most times, I may actually watch this race with my folks on TV, if only to see that if he crashes, the "game over" music would play.

Gigaguy64:

Aura Guardian:

Gigaguy64:
This is Awesome!

I want that car!

Sure do.
And while its kind of a stereotype to say all United States Southerners love NASCAR...it kind of true.

Have the accent to match the stereotype? Haha joke.

That's cool though. I'm not a fan of NASCAR...maybe I too am a stereotype for being a non-NASCAR fan from the north...then again...some do like it.

Can't stand NASCAR, way to long and boring...

Interesting that Gamestop/Nintendo would invest money into something that only a select group watches.

Ehhhhhhhh...I still hate NASCAR

Aura Guardian:

Gigaguy64:

Aura Guardian:

Gigaguy64:
This is Awesome!

I want that car!

Sure do.

That's cool though. I'm not a fan of NASCAR...maybe I too am a stereotype for being a non-NASCAR fan from the north...then again...some do like it.

Im not sure.
If i have a Accent i don't notice it because i live in an area where most people probably have that same accent.
I remember i went up north a long time ago and people knew where i was from just by talking to me.....

Gigaguy64:

Aura Guardian:

Gigaguy64:

Aura Guardian:

Gigaguy64:
This is Awesome!

I want that car!

Sure do.

Im not sure.
If i have a Accent i don't notice it because i live in an area where most people probably have that same accent.
I remember i went up north a long time ago and people knew where i was from just by talking to me.....

There's always way to find out. MUahahahah

Aura Guardian:

Gigaguy64:

Aura Guardian:

Gigaguy64:

Aura Guardian:

Gigaguy64:
This is Awesome!

I want that car!

Sure do.

Im not sure.

Yes.
MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
To bad i has no Microphone to speak with...

Gigaguy64:

Aura Guardian:

Gigaguy64:

Aura Guardian:

Gigaguy64:

Aura Guardian:

Gigaguy64:
This is Awesome!

I want that car!

Sure do.

Im not sure.

Yes.
MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
To bad i has no Microphone to speak with...

Well there's goes that idea.

Thanks god for another thing in this world I have to hate. =P

If the Mario car crashes into the Shell car I will die laughing.

Yawn.

Denny Hamlin had Mario on his car last year at Phoenix and look what it got him.

You get a great view of Mario around the 47-second mark.

Dioxide20:
Can't stand NASCAR, way to long and boring...

Interesting that Gamestop/Nintendo would invest money into something that only a select group watches.

I've tried to like car racing, I really have. I have a friend who used to work on one of the teams and is mad about it, and he's taken me to the V8 Supercars before. I just can't find a way to enjoy it, I know there's a ton of endurance and skill involved and the cars themselves are impressive but to me it's just people driving on a circular track for hours on end, while everyone sits in the heat watching them.

first Donkey Kong gets his own monster truck, now this.

What's next? they make a Bowser version of Truckasaurus?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here