Spongebob MMOG Swimming to Asia in 2011

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Spongebob MMOG Swimming to Asia in 2011

Who lives in a pineapple under the sea? Absorbant and yellow and porous is he! And he's getting his very own MMOG! SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS!

Nickelodeon has made a heap of money from Spongebob Squarepants, so it's no surprise that the company is always looking for new directions to market the character. Aside from the cartoon, film, amusement park ride, books, toys, clothes, and videogames, fans can now look forward to an MMOG set in Bikini Bottom.

MTV Networks Asia has joined forces with Giga Media Limited to begin working on a Spongebob Squarepants MMOG that will be released sometime in 2011. However, Spongebob fans in North America and Europe are out of luck since the game is currently only coming to Asia.

The game will launch in multiple languages, since its release is planned for China, Japan, Korea, Taiwan, India, and Southeast Asia. However, no further areas have been revealed, which is a little surprising since this is a property that is so manically popular in Western markets as well.

The game is set to be a free-to-play MMOG, which means microtransactions will become a standard part of the play mechanics. "The free-to-play model will offer an online store," MTV stated when it announced the game, "where users can purchase a range of bespoke items to populate and customize their experience, and will also feature a wide range of video and simple Flash-based games allowing users of all skill-levels and ages to interact and share their SpongeBob SquarePants experiences online."

If the MMOG proves popular enough, there's always a possibility that Viacom (the parent company of Nickelodeon and MTV) might decide to bring the game to other markets. In the meantime, though, all parties involved with the title are keeping tight-lipped about further plans until its launch date is a little closer.

As long as it doesn't come here I couldn't give a jolly shit.

Spongebob drives me fucking nuts.

A...MMO on, Spongebob? They will really make anything out of anything these days...

Interesting.
Though im afraid iv grown out of that phase.
*lie*
But im sure the children will like it.
And if it does come overseas i know it would be popular.

First off

INB4 WoW Killer!

Second of all

Wow. Just wow. This has to be the single worst idea of all time. Not only does SB make me want to shove rusty nails into my eardrums, but it has no basis to be an MMO! Unless they add dungeons and shit, then it'll be boring as hell, and if they do, then it's not really SpongeBob, is it?

I always found Spongebob to be strangely aggravating. I'm not sure why, but I really hate that yellow anthropomorphic...chunk of Swiss cheese? Or whatever the hell he's supposed to be

Wow for 7 year olds!

I think it's a great show. I likely would never play the game, but I'd wager it will make a killing regardless.

If it's based off of the old Spongebob, then that's good. However, that's likely not gonna happen, seeing how the new dumber and more annoyingly ear-rapingly retarded Spongebob makes money. Thankfully it isn't in America though, so as of now, I could care less.

Mackheath:
As long as it doesn't come here I couldn't give a jolly shit.

But imagine how many kids would be playing this thing, that means less kids to bother everyone else!

I love the spongebob show, the old episodes anyways, before the show was utterly ignorant, some recent eps have some good points, but will never top the old ones. This MMOG sounds like fail for older folks though, I'm sure five year olds will like it, but people who fail to realize that games like Moshi monsters and pet pet park are MMOGs will hate it and complain that "it isn't an MMOG it there isn't killing" because they miss the whole nonexistence of the RPG part. An MMOG is just a game, online where you can interact with tons of other people.

This is the greatest news EVER

seriously though game is gonna rock or suck. I know which one I'm hoping for.
Right: Suck Rock!

I wounder if some dedicated 8 year old is trying to translate what ever laguage its in to english so that he/she may play it.

I've not even read the story yet, but that rhyme you did under the title was BRILLIANT.

thethingthatlurks:
I always found Spongebob to be strangely aggravating. I'm not sure why, but I really hate that yellow anthropomorphic...chunk of Swiss cheese? Or whatever the hell he's supposed to be

i think its a sponge ;)

I'd play it. I like spongebob way more than any adult ever should.

dogstile:
I've not even read the story yet, but that rhyme you did under the title was BRILLIANT.

Thats actualy the start of the theme song lol.

Nice Rhyme there.

I always found the Spongebob video games deceptively fun.

And developers still love to clamp their hands over their ears and shout "the MMO market is not over-saturated! It's not it's not it's not!!!!"

...Okay, i can see Mega Man X doing okay on an Action MMO, but...Spongebob? what the hell is going on?

theownerer:

dogstile:

I'm sorry, but

"Captain: Oh! Who lives in a pineapple under the sea?
Kids: SpongeBob SquarePants!
Captain: Absorbent and yellow and porous is he!
Captain: If nautical nonsense be something you wish...
Captain: Then drop on the deck and flop like a fish!"

is not

"Who lives in a pineapple under the sea? Absorbant and yellow and porous is he! And he's getting his very own MMOG! SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS!"

dogstile:

theownerer:

dogstile:

I'm sorry, but

"Captain: Oh! Who lives in a pineapple under the sea?
Captain: Absorbent and yellow and porous is he!
Captain: If nautical nonsense be something you wish...
Captain: Then drop on the deck and flop like a fish!"

is not

"Who lives in a pineapple under the sea? Absorbant and yellow and porous is he! And he's getting his very own MMOG! SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS!"

rofl don't be a comma fucker here now

you see it's quite the same

I foresee mighty quests such as "Catch 10 jellyfishes".

khaimera:

More than my uncle, proud recipient of a Spongebob alarm clock as a birthday present (he'd turned 38 I believe)? I don't even think that's weird really, as I too enjoy Spongebob - or at least, I've enjoyed all the ones I've watched and presumably those where the "original" ones? For a children's cartoon it's surprisingly subversive and most of the humor would go right over the wee one's heads - also whenever they'd do an "extreme closeup" of something gross it reminded me of Ren & Stimpy, and those are some cherished childhood memories there!

I'm pretty sure this game will be horrible, but I'm not going to hate on the absorbent yellow sponge, no sirree.

A spongebob mmo?!?

Truely these are the last days. REPENT FOR THE END IS NIGH!!!!!

Wow. Even for an Asian MMO that's stupid.

Gildan Bladeborn:

khaimera:

More than my uncle, proud recipient of a Spongebob alarm clock as a birthday present (he'd turned 28 I believe)? I don't even think that's weird really, as I two enjoy Spongebob - or at least, I've enjoyed all the ones I've watched and presumably those where the "original" ones? For a children's cartoon it's surprisingly subversive and most of the humor would go right over the wee one's heads - also whenever they'd do an "extreme closeup" of something gross it reminded me of Ren & Stimpy, and those are some cherished childhood memories there!

I'm pretty sure this game will be horrible, but I'm not going to hate on the absorbent yellow sponge, no sirree.

Probably more so. My family and friends went on this kick where they bought me anything spongebob related they could find for gifts. I now own a nightlight, the complete first three seasons on DVD, candy, sleep pants, a talking stuffed animal (when you punch him he goes "hey, how about I do that to you"), and a bunch of other crap I stuffed in my closet.

I try and live like spongebob: happy, energetic, caring, full of self-esteem, and lover of pets and the dumb alike.

EDIT: I've thought the same thing about the close ups and ren and stimpy. Are you looking at my ice cream bar, get away.

Whhhaaat??

A spongebob MMOG? Seriously? I guess there must be people who will buy and play this...

They are really milking the shit out of this, aren't they?

dogstile:

Agreed, you have my total respect.

GiantRedButton:

thethingthatlurks:

i think its a sponge ;)

Yet "he" doesn't look anything like the yellow sponge I have in my kitchen sink. But whatever, he's an obnoxious anthropomorphic sponge

How would this game work? Would everyone play as Spongebob, or would everyone just play as a generic fish?

Spongebob was quite entertaining but I don't see the appeal in a MMORPG. Seems like a boring ass grind, wouldn't do the game justice unless they do find a way of doing so.

Either way, this is what happens when some things become too popular,especially in Asia. Freaks.

zipzod:
How would this game work? Would everyone play as Spongebob, or would everyone just play as a generic fish?

I would personally play as Patrick

Huh. I love the original three seasons of Spongebob, I love MMOs... and I can't imagine this doing anything other than failing. Seriously... what's the grab here? What's the hook? You need to offset the cost of the server and everything, so what will this do so differently from, say, a conventional video game that'll make it worth it? Will there be a war of conquest between the Chum Bucket and Krusty Krab? Will it be all about the exploration? What could an MMO of freaking SPONGEBOB possibly offer beyond the cast and setting to make it not a massive flash in the pan?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here