Green Lantern Sequel Already in the Works

Green Lantern Sequel Already in the Works

The wheels have started to turn for a second Green Lantern movie, before the first is even finished.

Warner Bros. and DC Entertainment must be pretty confident about the performance of the upcoming Green Lantern, as a sequel is already being planned. Warner has hired Greg Berlanti, Michael Green and Marc Guggenheim, all of whom worked on the script for the first movie, to write a treatment for the second.

The trio will also write a treatment for a Flash movie, and will work on the script for one of the two movies, although which one is currently undecided.

It's unusual for a studio to move so quickly on a franchise, but Warner Bros. has experience in dealing with super-successful franchises like Harry Potter, so what seems weird to us is probably a very sensible move on its part.

Green Lantern is scheduled for release June 2011.

Source: CBR

Talking about optimistic much? They must have alot of faith in it

Isn't the first one a full year from release? This is far too early for a sequel. They better damn hope the first is a hit.

Well, I only hope they know what they're doing.

I'd love a solid Green Lantern movie trilogy.

I agree, seems like they are jumping the gun a bit.

THE FLASH?!

Ahh...He's my favorite DC superhero.

Fuck this Green Lantern shit. Dump all that money into The Flash!

Well, it's not like we're not living the the 'Age of Sequels' anyway, so whatever. And superhero comicbooks are nothing if not an endless series of sequels, so it's a natural fit in that way.

Let's just hope the original will be as worthy of a sequel as they seem to believe.

Onyx Oblivion:
THE FLASH?!

I dunno, there isn't really all that much you can do with The Flash. He just moves fast, really. Works fine in a comic, but in a movie it would either need to be almost constantly in bullet time or the main character would be moving too fast for the audience to see.

Guggenheim and Green are pretty decent comic and television writers. Let's all hope they didn't just copy and paste an existing story arc from the comics, and called it a day.

Confident much?

Don't know WB seems to really have their shit together. Superman Returns more than made its money back and it was considered a flop. WB hasn't had any big failures recently.

Yay, I guess? Seems a bit over-eager, but I guess it's better that the sequal be planned early rather than just being there to leech off the success of an original. More likely to get a satisfying continuation of the story (in theory).

Probably won't see either unless dragged there by a group of friends or if the first one is a major success anyway, I don't know enough about the Green Lantern to be excited.

So are we heading towards a Justice League movie at some point, to compete with the avengers movie? As soon as either franchise says 'multi-verse', I'm out.

Green Lantern ftw, I won't complain about more.

LawlessSquirrel:
Probably won't see either unless dragged there by a group of friends or if the first one is a major success anyway, I don't know enough about the Green Lantern to be excited.

Do yourself a favor, and watch JLA: New Frontier. If the Green Lantern story doesn't interest you, at least it has Batman at the peak of badassery. That, and you'll know pretty much what to expect from the first Green Lantern movie.

Bit overzealous, are we, DC?

EDIT: Also, CC, I thought Green Lantern: First Flight was a good introduction to Green Lantern as a character (at least the Hal Jordan version).

Im lookin forward to the GL movie, i loved First Flight so i should like this.

Onyx Oblivion:
THE FLASH?!

THE GREEN LANTERN?!

Fuck this Flash shit. Dump all that money into The Green Lantern!

CaptainCrunch:

LawlessSquirrel:

Do yourself a favor, and watch JLA: New Frontier. If the Green Lantern story doesn't interest you, at least it has Batman at the peak of badassery. That, and you'll know pretty much what to expect from the first Green Lantern movie.

I dunno if you dunno, but GL has his own;

CaptainCrunch:

LawlessSquirrel:

While I thought New frontier was amazing especially the more realistic take on Wonder woman, I thought the latest Green Lantern animated film was utter poop. Hoping the live action is better.

I still call it a retarded thing to assume. Being optimistic, sure it's good but stay REALISTIC pl0x. These times are uncertain and planning way too ahead means you will fail at some point.

Beside, this doesn't appeal to me at all. Good luck for those who will.

looks like the Golden Age of Comic Book Superhero Movies! yay

DC cant let Marvel have all the fun! XD

Who is playing Hal Jordan anyways in the movie?

Jiraiya72:

CaptainCrunch:

I dunno if you dunno, but GL has his own.

Yup. I knew, but for people that aren't already GL fans, I usually show them New Frontier first. At least that way, if GL doesn't grab them, they have the rest of the Justice League to enjoy.

There is only one way this film could go bad, and it's the CGI suit. Other than that, Ryan Reynolds is great and the character has a lot of potential.

This really is DC's Iron Man. Powerful dude that's relatively important in the universe but that people who don't read comics know nothing about

Sounds good I like the Green Lanturn, he is one of the few DC heroes I actually like.

Ironically, I got a years-old Green Lantern comic book for 50 cents at a library sale yesterday, and thought it to be some of the best shit I've read in a dogs age.

Hopefully the GL movie lives up to my not-so-humble expectations.

Funny they should decide to make a sequel already since I'm fairly confident that I won't be seeing either Green Lantern movie. But then again, I've been wrong before.

CaptainCrunch:

I'll do that, always happy to take a reccomendation! I vaguely remember watching a Justice League cartoon ages ago, enjoyed it enough at the time.
I'll do some exploring, see if I can be swayed.

Quiet Stranger:
Who is playing Hal Jordan anyways in the movie?

Ryan Reynolds

Asking someone to write a treatment (or even a script) wouldn't cost the studio much ($50K or less) so its less jumping the gun/being over-confident, but more being prepared so if it the film is a success they can quickly start production on a sequal with the hope to bring it out while the memory of the first is still in the mind of the populous.

I've never been a big fan of DC's line-up partly due to Superman being boring and partly because Marvel comics and TV series were more available in the UK. However, I did watch Green Lantern: First Flight and thought it was great and I like Ryan Reynolds so my fingers are firmly crossed.

I don't know why this is so surprising and isn't standard practice to begin with. They have everyone there in costume why not shoot both? If the first bombs just make the second straight to dvd.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here