Most Gamers Haven't Heard of Natal or Move

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Most Gamers Haven't Heard of Natal or Move

Worrying news for Microsoft and Sony, as a survey shows that most gamers haven't heard of their new motion controls.

Do you have an opinion about Natal and Move? Well, it turns out that you're in the minority, at least according to a survey by research company Nielsen.

Nielsen asked 2,400 active gamers whether they were aware of Natal and Move, and the results showed that less than a quarter of those asked were aware of the motion controls. Move slightly beat Natal in terms of awareness, with 23% of those polled being aware of Move, against 21% that knew about Natal.

"Gamer" is a broad term however, so Nielsen removed those polled who didn't play on the Xbox 360 or the PlayStation 3 to see what awareness was like amongst the target audience for each controller. The numbers improved quite significantly, peaking at 42% for Move amongst PS3 owners, with Natal slightly behind at 39% amongst 360 owners.

There was some good news for Microsoft though, as gamers who had heard of Natal were more likely to buy it, although the numbers were still low, only 35% amongst gamers in general, and 42% of Xbox 360 gamers.

As disappointing as these numbers might look, it's important to remember that there's been hardly marketing for either controller yet. Gamers who keep up with gaming news are actually the minority, and when commercials start appearing on TV, expect awareness to go up sharply.

Source: Kotaku

Sony's marketing department is better it would seem! marginally XD

If Gamer includes those shut ins who play Call of Duty non stop, then this is understandable.

Oh wait, my friends want me on COD now...

Calumon: Forget that, your playlist just hit Styx!

This is the only website where I have heard anything about the natal or move, there have been no advertisements on tv or though gaming retail stores. Did someone forget to hire a marketing team?

Jack and Calumon:
If Gamer includes those shut ins who play Call of Duty non stop, then this is understandable.

Not to mention the Halo-ites on 360, too.

But I'm shocked at the 360 numbers. The 360 dashboard videos are whoring it out every week.

Jack and Calumon:

Oh wait, my friends want me on COD now...

Calumon: Forget that, your playlist just hit Styx!

Yes, I worry that gamers may include 13 year olds who only consider COD a game and everything else to be faggery.

OT; I think that this won't matter. I'm sure the marketing department will kick into overdrive when it's closer to the release date.

I've heard about them, and am really not interested in them. We've been through the age of gimmicks, how about the games companies maturing in themselves and actually challenging Ebert's ridiculous notion?

The_root_of_all_evil:
I've heard about them, and am really not interested in them. We've been through the age of gimmicks

Exactly what he said. The Wii already proved that any motion control won't live up to expectations or hype so get back to making good games for the tried and tested controllers.

I have not heard of research company Nielsen either.

Though I am not sure how Natal or Move will evolve during their life time I embrace the prospect that this technology is innovative and might bring us closer to the holo deck in the (distant?) future. So let's hope for the best.

While we're on the subject... I get what Natal is doing, 3D motion sensing camera, kind of like an eye toy that can detect depth and stuff.

But what's Move do? I mean, from what I say it's exactly like the Wii mote. I don't get it, what's so special about Move?

I'm aware of it, but I wish I wasn't. Does that count?

Looks like the casual gamer statistics bites them in the ass.

My guess is that a good number of those gamers don't give a crap about either one. I would like to forward myself as a member of said group.

See, this is a prime example of a poorly constructed survey and/or flawed interpretation of the results.

Most gamers DID hear about Natal and Move, they just decided to repress the memory...

DTWolfwood:

Of course. After all, they have Kevin Butler.

Maybe they should've listened when most critics called motion controls retarded.

2400 gamers? That's hardly a substantial sample. Heck, they could easily all be people who consider themselves gamers because they bought a Wii and a copy of My Horse and Me. You know, the kind of 'gamers' that think that a ZX Spectrum is the scientific term for a rainbow.

How is this possible? Hell, a lot of non-gamers I know have heard of Natal.

Well since neither have show anything WORTH talking about I'm not surpriced s at all. In fact nether have shown anything really. One made up family and virtual pedo boy from Microsoft isn't going to make anyone want to mention it.

Please say they will take this complete disinterest not as a challenge to improve marketing, but as a reason to scrap these awful ideas for good.

While I hate to quote Yahtzee, since it's done to death and beyond on this site (and increasingly so everywhere else now he's popular), he really is correct when he says that until motion controls have physical feedback they aren't any good.

Prancing around in front of my television just gets annoying. This was proven by the EyeToy.

DTWolfwood:

It's gotten better but their PR is still utter crap.

It's not too surprising people haven't heard of them, They aren't even out yet and weren't the names only released recently.

The only things I've heard about the 2 were online. This is a problem if they're trying to snag away customers from Nintendo who eat this sort of stuff up. Most of those gamers don't research stuff online, which is a very bad move from both of those companies. Throw up a commercial or something!

Matters not to me though, I'm not wasting my time with either.

Considering they're too busy playing crap like Modern Warfare 2 and Red Dead Redemption, I don't blame them. Actually, I can.

New ideas are constantly pushed aside for older rehashed garbage, so even if NATAL or MOVE were any good, I bet few people would buy it.

This is especially bad since the "broad sense" of gamer is the exact audience they're both shooting for. This might even call for some backpedaling from several big names who predicted the launch of Move and Natal will cause a grand enlightenment that will make every Wii owner on the planet see it as the anachronistic (they can't use gimmicky anymore) husk they originally thought it was at launch

I will be laughing my head off if "Round 2" of this generation ends up repeating the launch.

The_root_of_all_evil:
We've been through the age of gimmicks

Technically (unless you count the awful gamecube controller), the age of gimmicks started with the Nintendo DS. It hit infancy with the Wii, and now it's approaching adolescence. We're still firmly stuck in the age of gimmicks really.

I really don't see how people can not see the potential of Natal. How about Dance Dance Revolution without a floor mat, or even a fantasy fps where you cast spells with gestures and swing a plastic sword that actually appears to cleave through your enemies? That's ignoring the sheer awesomness of controlling your movie and music playback with gestures or voice. Sure, I don't buy that there's that much potential for full blown games without any form of controller, but combined with a simple thumbstick and trigger (like the wii nunchuck, as much as it pains me to say it), we're talking the ability to combine something like house of the dead with a full blown FPS with full interaction. Want to shove a zombie to the right and then punch the one behind it? Go for it. Wanna throw a grenade at its feet and then duck as its body flies over you? Sure, go right ahead. With a little imagination there's a heck of a lot of potential there.

How about interactive martial arts training? Sure it wouldn't technically be a game (and it wouldn't be able to replace proper instruction), but it'd certainly be better than any similiar software on the wii. It could make sure you were performing every move correctly, and you could even 'spar' with an on screen opponent.

The problem is that they cant advertise it since they don't really have anything worthwhile to show for all their efforts yet.

Natal is so fucking expensive that it mimicks the 80's and 90's consoles with their addons. Tell me one addon that ever sold well....... That's right.

elexis:
This is the only website where I have heard anything about the natal or move, there have been no advertisements on tv or though gaming retail stores. Did someone forget to hire a marketing team?

I suppose it was sort of advertised via Youtube, some event last year and Xbox.com, but they really, really need to branch out more. On the flipside, everyone who read this now knows!

Carnagath:
Natal is so fucking expensive that it mimicks the 80's and 90's consoles with their addons. Tell me one addon that ever sold well....... That's right.

If it adds enough to the experience it'll sell. Add ons in the past have sold poorly because they haven't offered anything particularly new or haven't had software support. Who on earth would buy an updrade like the 32X when they could just buy the Saturn with more games and the real specs rather than shelling out for what amounted to a half arsed 'upgrade kit'? The PS3 and Xbox 360 directly boosted sales of HDTVs, and I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't do a similiar job for budget (£50-£150) 5.1 surround systems. Compared to the price of these things, Natal isn't that expensive. Plus, the fact of the matter is that enough of a push is being made that home 3D will take off in the next 5 years, for better or worse. Imagine the implications of natal combined with 3D. Yeah, I'd say that people will pay for full 3 dimensional virtual interaction. Just wait until tactile feedback is taken to the same level (Can't see it happening anytime soon, but since we already have toys like the Jedi Trainer that actually feed off of brain activity, I give it ten years maybe before we're generating physical sensations without full on 'feedback suit' type peripherals). Lol, the adult film industry will go mental over it :D

Depends who they asked.

If they asked anyone on here we'd all know I imagine. If you ask some guy who owns a 360 and only uses it for Fifa and CoD then it's unlikely they've heard of it.

Mako SOLDIER:
2400 gamers? That's hardly a substantial sample.

There's only like 800 people polled in the UK to predict the outcome of a general election - it's a fair amount.

As you can see though, I agree that it very much depends on your definition of "gamer" and what "type" of gamer they are.

I've heard of it.

I just don't care.

Ive heard of them and i dont want them, i already have a Wii no desire to emulate that on other consoles badly...

SteelStallion:
While we're on the subject... I get what Natal is doing, 3D motion sensing camera, kind of like an eye toy that can detect depth and stuff.

But what's Move do? I mean, from what I say it's exactly like the Wii mote. I don't get it, what's so special about Move?

It's the same as the Wii-mote, but it apparently works a lot better and it's for the PS3. I have more hope for it than Natal but i can't imagine either of them doing well.

Really now? My dashboard is CLUTTERED with Natal advertisements and all kind of promotional shit. Well, that's for my USA account that is.

The netherland infrastructure is fairly simple and basic, no advertising.

Onyx Oblivion:

Jack and Calumon:

Not to mention the Halo-ites on 360, too.

But I'm shocked at the 360 numbers. The 360 dashboard videos are whoring it out every week.

Wouldn't be surprised if most people don't watch those videos. The hosts they have for their "sentuamessage" or whatever it's called are quite bad and painful to watch.

... and yeah, the Halo and CoD shut-ins would be in the dark when it comes to things that happen outside of those games. If they have heard of it, I'm sure they'd think it's a gay idea. Just like how everything else is equally gay and faggy.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here