Microsoft Unveils Two Natal Games Early

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Microsoft Unveils Two Natal Games Early

If you're dying to know what games Microsoft will bring to Natal's table, now we know about two more.

Microsoft has been fairly tight-lipped on the kinds of Natal games/experiences that it'll be showing off at E3, aside from Ricochet, a ball blocking Pong-style game, and River Rush. Thanks to the LA Times, a couple more have shaken from the MicroTree.

The games were shown off to a "handful" of journalists in Redmond, Washington. Get ready, because their concepts are going to blow your not-currently-able-to-understand Natal mind!

First up, we have Living Statue. This game records players' movements through Natal and translates them to their Xbox Live avatars. Finally, some life will be breathed into those little guys. Players can also sing along with their dancing or whatever movements they choose to make, and when finished will be able to email the disaster/masterpiece to their friends. This is supposedly a way to get Natal players involved with Xbox Live. Hm, I wonder if Living Statue will be misused somehow. Nah.

The second new Natal game is called Obstacle Course. The LA Times says it will have players "pull, dodge and jump" their way through, well, an obstacle course. I'm expecting to at least have to step through tires, jump over hurdles, and maybe a rope climb. Microsoft should definitely take this idea to the next level and bring Double Dare to Natal. I would be all over it if I could pick a flag out of the fake boogers of a giant nose.

Living Statue, Obstacle Course, Ricochet, and River Rush are most likely pack-ins with the purchase of Natal. The Times also says that about a dozen more Natal-licensed games by other developers will be shown off at E3 2010, which is next week.

Source: LA Times

You know I really do like the idea of Natal but with each and every game that I hear about makes me wonder if it's at all worth it. Especially if the rumours are true and it's more like £150 rather than £50.

Sounds like gimmick games so far...lets hope its not the trend...

Nothing really shocking here though the Living Statue (what's with that terrible name, btw?) is interesting. It'll be nice to see how your motions translate to your Avatar.. assuming it works well.

Sounds more like tech demos than actual games. Although Wii Play demonstrated you can sell tech demos if the sweeteners are good enough.

They seem to be doing a pretty good job of making Natal look as gimmicky and uninteresting as possible, don't they?

Jaredin:
Sounds like gimmick games so far...lets hope its not the trend...

I wouldn't count on it. I think Natal is going to go the way of the Wiimote. Another gimmick for third-party developers to create shovelware for. I honestly hope I'm wrong but its definitely going to take a third-party developer to make something good before I think any different of it.

This just in: Natal will have mostly shovelware.

(Probably)

Those games sound like cheap gimmick crap.

I can't wait for Natal to fail.

Wow. Way to shake things up Microsoft. Living statue isn't even a game! They better show off some good titles soon that the Wii can't do.

Agh. What the heck is MS thinking. I mean, okay, this is your pack-in games like Wii-Play. Just crap stuff to get people used to the idea of it, fair enough, but for that price point you guys better have something killer in the wings or your going to be looking at massive losses on this thing.

You've already got price-point (if it's the 150) and it being an additional add-on working against you. Fable III is not going to be ready on time, I think we can all be pretty sure of that. What's going to make people want to buy this thing?

Wii Sports was a fun release game for Wii. Thes just sound like the tacky third party shit games for the Wii you find EVERRRRRYWHHEEEEEERE.

Woo hoo. Now those are what I've been waiting my whole 32 years of gaming for. This is the future of gaming. Charades for the unimaginative. So we've to play games people used to play before they invented computers. And they want us to pay them money to do this? Clever.

Forget the games...I just wanna know when Natal will be available to purchase.

"hey, you know the wii? that shit that came out 3 years ago? weve reinvented that! except it costs double the price!"

this is all im reading.... and i only own a 360 (i.e. no nintendo fanboy)

Awww, c'mon, those suck MS...what's the word on that self-defense game I heard rumors of? I'd be all over that like stink on a carcass.

Tom Goldman:
The second new Natal game is called Obstacle Course. The LA Times says it will have players "pull, dodge and jump" their way through, well, an obstacle course. I'm expecting to at least have to step through tires, jump over hurdles, and maybe a rope climb. Microsoft should definitely take this idea to the next level and bring Double Dare to Natal. I would be all over it if I could pick a flag out of the fake boogers of a giant nose.

This might sound odd, but I'd personally love to see Ninja Warrior turned into a Natal game. Of course, it'd be nowhere near the strenuous and difficult challenges of the actual show, but as a game it'd be pretty interesting, and definitely fun. Failing that, Total Wipeout (just 'Wipeout' to you folks in the USA...). See if I can get past the Big Red Balls myself, or fail miserably...

To be honest, I'm really looking forward to Natal, whether the games for it are all casual titles or not. I doubt Microsoft will do what Nintendo did and just move to making mostly casual games, since they have too big a 'hardcore' fanbase (we're talking about the guys behind Halo, after all...). So I fully expect at least one, if not more, of the E3 announcements to be Natal-capabilities for hardcore titles, and by the end of the year several other hardcore games released or announced that will be Natal-compatible. And Fable 3 has been rumoured to possibly utilise Natal as an optional thing to some degree, sine we already know Peter Molyneux is on board for it. I think everyone complaining about Natal is pretty much jumping on the bandwagon, because Anoia forbid we should ever change the existing system and experiment a little. Ah well, we'll see if E3 changes any minds, for better or worse.

Although I am concerned about the apparent price tag. I highly doubt it will cost in the hundreds of pounds/dollars/euros/whatever, but I can't see it being cheap. My guess is that the price will be somewhere between the current massive estimates and the original idea of £20-£30. Possibly perhaps £60-£70, or equivalent. That's just what I think though, again, we'll have to wait and see. Maybe there'll be a price announcement at E3 as well, but I doubt it.

sweet more gimmick games like the wii but with out the controller

seriously anyone else remember the epic fail that was the eye toy?

You can't get people's hopes up like that with Ricochet. I immediately thought the old HL mod, and my heart jumped. Now no matter what they release I'll think of it as lame.

Double Dare? You really think that would be a good idea? I don't know...

Sounds like most of the 'casual' games on the Wii (are there serious ones?), except of a much lower standard.

I really cbf shelling out money on this stuff. I'm saving my pennies for when we start having a Matrix like interface.

Thank God Microsoft is putting priority in releasing top quality games to make Natal worth the, what was it, $180 investment. Its a breath of relief to know Microsoft is making top notch games that will USE the technology to its fullest, and not wasting time on shovelware that will appeal to people who like Wii Gimmicks.

Im glad we wont waste our hard earned money for Microsoft to make a virtual friend, Pong with you arms, to wiggle your avatar, or a rope climbing simulator. Because that would be a waste of technology, money, and a slap to everyones face.

... The Sarcasim Meters are flowing off the charts!

Seriously... It didnt work for the Eye Toy. And people wont spend $200 for an Xbox and $200 for Natal to do a slightly different thing then the Wii. UNLESS YOU GIVE US A REASON TO. Shovelware wont.

Your demographic is COLLEGE STUDENTS. Thats who own Xboxes (and high schoolers). Work on an FPS and/or RPG. Survival Horror. But College students wont buy shovelware because it looks "cool". And moms wont buy 8 year olds the Xbox and Natal because its "cool"; when they can buy a Wii cheaper.

Anoctris:
Sounds like most of the 'casual' games on the Wii (are there serious ones?), except of a much lower standard.

I really cbf shelling out money on this stuff. I'm saving my pennies for when we start having a Matrix like interface.

That'd be risky, if the Matrix is to be believed - one XBox brick up and you die. And I'm saying that as someone who owns an xbox - fun system but they took a loooong time to sort it out.

I still can't believe how they dared to put up this SUPER FAKE Natal trailer. Someone should burn in hell for that.

Their premise is indeed interesting but however I am concerned if we have to cough up additional cash for these so far gimmicky games. Also, if the rumours are true of the 150 price tag, count me OUT!

Doug:

Anoctris:

That'd be risky, if the Matrix is to be believed - one XBox brick up and you die. And I'm saying that as someone who owns an xbox - fun system but they took a loooong time to sort it out.

You know I never considered that.

Also, if games could be that real, would kids (teenagers) be allowed to play FPS or other violent games? Would adults?

TheZapper:
They seem to be doing a pretty good job of making Natal look as gimmicky and uninteresting as possible, don't they?

And yet, Natal was supposed to be for real legitimate game control. I guess Microsoft and Sony didn't see the horrendous amount of shovelware on the Wii, they just saw the thing being a giant money dispenser. So sad, so gimmicky.

what? no announcement of 'spazy movement xtreme'? and I was so looking forward to that

Oh dear...

I don't think this is going to wonders for Natal's sales...

Oh WOW Pong, River Rafting, and an OBSTACLE COURSE!

I'm so glad that instead of using this to improve the interface is high quality games, they're using it to bury is in novelty based shovelware!

YAY!

Rabid Meese:
Thank God Microsoft is putting priority in releasing top quality games to make Natal worth the, what was it, $180 investment. Its a breath of relief to know Microsoft is making top notch games that will USE the technology to its fullest, and not wasting time on shovelware that will appeal to people who like Wii Gimmicks.

Im glad we wont waste our hard earned money for Microsoft to make a virtual friend, Pong with you arms, to wiggle your avatar, or a rope climbing simulator. Because that would be a waste of technology, money, and a slap to everyones face.

... The Sarcasim Meters are flowing off the charts!

Seriously... It didnt work for the Eye Toy. And people wont spend $200 for an Xbox and $200 for Natal to do a slightly different thing then the Wii. UNLESS YOU GIVE US A REASON TO. Shovelware wont.

Your demographic is COLLEGE STUDENTS. Thats who own Xboxes (and high schoolers). Work on an FPS and/or RPG. Survival Horror. But College students wont buy shovelware because it looks "cool". And moms wont buy 8 year olds the Xbox and Natal because its "cool"; when they can buy a Wii cheaper.

Are you telling me that when you think of high quality Xbox 360 games, you don't think "obstacle course"?

Not looking great so far... This has me a little worried.

Haakong:
"hey, you know the wii? that shit that came out 3 years ago? weve reinvented that! except it costs double the price!"

this is all im reading.... and i only own a 360 (i.e. no nintendo fanboy)

This was their opportunity to show that a Wii like interface can enhance and improve the interaction with high quality 360 titles.

Looks like they just launched that idea out of a cannon.....into the sun

CyberKnight:
Double Dare? You really think that would be a good idea? I don't know...

Is that You Can't DO That On Television? Have not seen that show for YEARS!!!!!!

Yay...shovelware...

SO like everything it, like others have said, it starts off with shovelware...pretty bad shovelware at that. Living statue? thats not a game thats a tool, a *Feature* jeeze.

When microsoft finally realises Natal has tanked I'm going to be rather amused it took them this long to realise it was a stupid idea to begin with.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here