Sebenko:

The Cheezy One:
£200?
what the hell?

I think Sidorovich said it best:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJ5cNqXgKUo

wow, truth and stalker in one neat package
which was that from? the comments say SoC, but i dont remember it

It's the intro movie, when the stalker brings the marked one inside and claims that he's alive.

Yeah, £200 is just about £175 more than I'd pay for this even if I had an Xbox.

If they had half a brain, they'd do something like offer the thing separately at $100, and bundled with the 360 Slim for $350. Or maybe even bundle it with the Slim as a standard feature at no extra cost (so $300 for both).

If they want to break into a market already cornered by Nintendo, the last thing they want to do is shoot themselves in the foot by making their product way more expensive than the current leader, especially when they don't have anything to convince the public their product is better in any way than the well-established Wii brand.

Rumor: That's way too much money.

never especially after the MS press conference for the thing , there is nothing good but Nintendo copy past stuff.

I'm hoping they're "overcharging" for a bundle of games, just like they do with new consoles.

I think they just shot themselves in the foot

with a bazooka

Nahh, I hate motion control so I won't be purchasing this.

...errm

R.I.P Xbox Microsoft?

I wouldnt get something like this to begin with, but that price... Wow.

That just seems ludicrous.

I agree that $150 is probably too high for a serious adoption rate, but what people (including Mr. Funk) are forgetting is that one Kinect allows four people to play right out of the box. To put that in perspective each Wiimote without the Motion Plus or nunchuck is $40. You get one remote & nunchuck with your standard Wii bundle. So,

Xbox- $300 + Kinect $150 = $450

Wii- $200 + Wiimote $40 + Wiimote $40 + Wiimote $40 = $320

If you get Motion Plus controllers it's an extra $10 per controller= $350.

If you get a nunchuck for each controller it's an extra $15 per controller= $395.

Still less expensive than a Slim + Kinetic bundle but, "more than twice the current price of the Wii," isn't exactly accurate given what each hardware bundle allows you to do.

Fallen-Angel Risen-Demon:
For £200 they can go fuck themselves what's that in dollers bout $220 and Americans only have to pay $140 last time I checked that was racism/discrimination!

Get used to it. Books in Canada are almost double the US prices, even though our currency is almost the same.

They're going to blame it on "shipping costs", I just know it.

Oh by the way, that's around 400 dollars, American.

I saw this on Spike a couple of hours ago. Some of their game weren't that amusing to me. Honestly, the only thing that I got out of the Kinect is a good laugh at the games.

No, I would not buy it. Best case scenario I buy it when the price comes down and it has a few solid games. Worst case, I don't buy it, ever.

I'm almost positive $150 is higher than what the final price will actually be, but I'm not going to be the least bit interested in Kinect until it has something more to offer me than weak Wii rip-offs with prettier graphics and even more spastic flailing of the extremities.

People spent $500 to $800 on a freaking iPAD!!! (people spent up to £700 = $1000 in UK)

There is the "Apple Effect" or should I say "Fabergé effect" where pricing things very high with the right public perception can just make them more desirable. But Apple's trick with iPad is start with high price expectations (everyone expected a tablet-Macbook and so $1000 base price, not a super-size iPod Touch which is EXACTLY what the iPad is).

Microsoft need to convince people this is WORTH MORE than $150 and somehow they are "doing you a favour" selling it at $150. But it's a bit late for that now.

If worst comes to worse I suspect they will bundle the Xbox Arcade (new price $150) with Natal Kinect and sell it for $350 and swallow the $50 loss hoping to earn it back in them buying proprietary peripherals and subscriptions.

But I think the whole point of the $300-price-point Xbox "Short" is more casual friendly, with a built in WiFi it's easier for getting online, MS want people online so trap them in their walled garden of online services. They may sacrifice that in pushing the Arcade model more

No word on an "arcade version" of the Xbox-Short, i.e. Xbox Short but no Hard-disk drive inside though that could be the solution for them.

I really hope this does well because although this takes a shit all over "teh hardcore" I am REALLY keen about Dance Central because it's something that ACTUALLY gets me interested in exercise!!! Plus it may help cure me of my stereotypical whiteboy dance moves.

The Cheezy One:
£200?
what the hell?
Why is it more expensive in England?
i know it wouldnt be cheaper, but i would think that £ 149 is over the top
i was considering it, but unless its actually £199, then no

While normally I'd agree I'd blame politics. While people are being a lot more polite about it than say when Japan raised the price of RAM through the roof many moons ago (for example), there is basically an America Vs. Europe/EU trade war on.

Simply put Europe wants to somehow become the dominant global force again (economically if nothing else), and the Euro and Dollar are in direct head to head competition, along with any other currencies in the region that can enter into the equasion.

This is what's behind a lot of the forecasting and back and forth, with people talking about "the fall of the dollar", and not too long ago I was watching a movie where a villain snidely said he wanted his payoff in Euros because "The Dollar isn't what it used to be". Can't remember what movie it was.

The bottom line is that I expect it to get even worse over there, and truthfully I figure America is going to feel the crunch as well over time when what exports are sent over this way are also inflated.

Interestingly it will be worth seeing how Japan weighs in and what the pricing is like, though given that Japan is pretty much under constant US occupation, I'd imagine it will be similar with the new Sony toys being more expensive in Europe than the US as well, but that's a guess because Japan has played economic games before.

Good god people, quit slagging something off based upon a price that is probably just a guess by a retailer. It's highly unlikely that internet pricing this far away from launch is anything more than speculation.

That said, I'd still happily pay around the £100 mark. Let's be reasonable, you only need one for multiple players, so £100 is already not far off the price of 4 controllers. If we make the most obvious comparison, that would be significantly cheaper than 4 wiimotes, 4 nunchucks and a wii fit bundle. That's pretty reasonable pricing if you ask me, especially if they throw in software to sweeten the deal. Sure, I'd prefer a £50 price point, but I can't argue with £100-£150 if I'm being rational about it.

A peripheral costs as much as the Wii? What the hell? It costs as much as a whole other console...And without any actual games, short of what Peter Molyneaux is probably going to jam down our throats sometime during this week, there's not much promise of buying it. Even then, I can't see very many serious games wanting to use the system...

DRD 1812:
I agree that $150 is probably too high for a serious adoption rate, but what people (including Mr. Funk) are forgetting is that one Kinect allows four people to play right out of the box. To put that in perspective each Wiimote without the Motion Plus or nunchuck is $40. You get one remote & nunchuck with your standard Wii bundle. So,

Xbox- $300 + Kinect $150 = $450

Wii- $200 + Wiimote $40 + Wiimote $40 + Wiimote $40 = $320

If you get Motion Plus controllers it's an extra $10 per controller= $350.

If you get a nunchuck for each controller it's an extra $15 per controller= $395.

Still less expensive than a Slim + Kinetic bundle but, "more than twice the current price of the Wii," isn't exactly accurate given what each hardware bundle allows you to do.

To get similiar functionality, you also need to factor in the Wii Balance Board.

Even at 99 its a big ask to add on for...what exactly. This has to have a killer ap to move this thing. Microsoft have a big mountain to climb with this peripheral, I'll be very impressed if this succeeds.

That's ridiculous, I currently have one pre-ordered here in the Uk but if that's the price at launch then I'm going to cancel it.

Oh the humanity!

Yeah, crash and burn.

When it was rumored to be 50$, I was all like "HELLZ YEAH!"
When it was rumored to be 100$, I was all like "Meh, still gonna get it to try it out"
But 150$? Fuck that...

Kinect = (Wii speak) + (Eyetoy (improved))
so using this very true formula (prove me wrong) the thing at most should cost $50

Two Angels:
There's a Star Wars game for it.... Might just swing it for me if it's any good.

ehemm
Gameplay will suck (for reference i've played so many games now that just looking a trailers i can with 95% accuracy call things correctly from past experiences) its just moving side to side blocking laser bullets, and cutting storm troopers (which if this had any gameplay footage in it(i hope not) are some of the most unchallenging enemies I've ever seen) and to move forward you put your hands to the side and push off on air. i hate to say it but the gameplay from first glance is going to be horrible the story might be good though.

Now back to the pricing
if this thing costs that $149 I'm willing to call this right now
the verdict at that price point is a resounding EPIC FAIL because I cant not see anyone but people with to much money buying it and in this recession thats not alot of people.
also why use the new interface when it'll be quicker to just use the thumb sticks.
on a side note if anyone does get this, i would like to know if you say "Xbox Rrod" if it'll brick.

armageddon74400:
When it was rumored to be 50$, I was all like "HELLZ YEAH!"
When it was rumored to be 100$, I was all like "Meh, still gonna get it to try it out"
But 150$? Fuck that...

here here

a peripheral that might cost almost 4 times the games that use it? No thanks, I can live without Fable3

Treblaine:
People spent $500 to $800 on a freaking iPAD!!! (people spent up to £700 = $1000 in UK)

I really hope this does well because although this takes a shit all over "teh hardcore" I am REALLY keen about Dance Central because it's something that ACTUALLY gets me interested in exercise!!! Plus it may help cure me of my stereotypical whiteboy dance moves.

although i haven't played it i heard theres a game called Just Dance for the Wii which is exactly the same thing. i'm sorry to say it but heres the breakdown.
the first game is HD Nintendogs, next was there Wii Sports, then the Kart Racer that looked lackluster at most, the adventure game that is similar to the breakout game they demoed last year and familiar to every eyetoy game, the exercise game thats Wii Fit, then Harmonixs game that from what i heard is a rip off of Just Dance, I'm sorry to say it but none of these games from what i can tell is original in any sense of the word. and believe it or not i like the 360 and own at least 120 games for it so this saddens me. I can only hope Sony does not disappoint me tomorrow, i know Nintendo will so not gonna mention them.

Baldr:
This is GAMESTOP people, they ALWAYS overprice before the official price comes down. I'll put my money on $99.

still to much.

I can't wait! What's this gonna be like $300 in Australia!? Nice one Microsoft

I'm sure they'll do a bundle with the Kinect and the "Slim." Say what you will about Micro$oft, but they're not stupid. They won't personally derail their huge thingy. I'm sure that rumor price is right though. Personally, I think it's cheap by MS standards. It's only $50 more than the soon-to-be defunct Network Adaptor, and this thing is a fancy Motion Controller from the cocking future! Sure, the NA is overpriced, but this is still relatively tame. But like I said, MS will put a budle together for the holiday. Say, $375 for the whole shabang. Kinect, the new 360, and some (probably shitty) Kinect titles thrown in for free. IT COULD BE WORSE.

This had either better be a joke, or part of some special trick. Like a package deal with the Slim, or coupled with games, or... or something. The Slim has me interested in getting a 360, but damned if I'll shell out half the price over again to get the Eyetoy 360 when for that price I can just buy some games I've been lusting after.

I'm sorry but I didn't want it before hearing the price but to pay that much for it is crazy.... these companies need to realize we are in a recession.

You know it's bad if the company selling it tries to kill it. We can throw this in with that extra HD-DVD thing. It'll sell a bit but ultimately die.
Edit:

Puddle Jumper:
I think they just shot themselves in the foot

with a bazooka

So they're trying to rocket jump?

I wouldn't pay $450 for it, no. But I already own a 360, and the Child of Eden trailer tells me that $150 would probably be money well spent.

JakBandit2208:
I'm sorry but I didn't want it before hearing the price but to pay that much for it is crazy.... these companies need to realize we are in a recession.

The three things that people always continue to spend money on, even during a recession, are entertainment, booze, and drugs.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here