Deus Ex: Human Revolution Designer Talks Invisible War

Deus Ex: Human Revolution Designer Talks Invisible War

The lead designer of Deus Ex: Human Revolution says the previous game in the series, Invisible War, was "fun to play" but "too futuristic" to resonate like the original.

There's a well-known Deus Ex demotivational poster that's been around for awhile featuring a panoramic nighttime view of the New York City skyline and, in the foreground, the game's most iconic image: The decapitated Statue of Liberty. Underneath lies the words, "Deus Ex: Every time you mention it, someone will reinstall it." It's amusing, in part because it's also not really an exaggeration. In spite of its many flaws, once it's sunk its claws into a gamer, it never entirely lets go.

That's not really the case for the follow-up, Deus Ex: Invisible War, however. Invisible War was a reasonably decent, enjoyable game that probably would have fared much better in the eyes of critics and gamers alike if it wasn't saddled with the family name. But it was and as a result, in the eyes of fans it will forever be emblematic of how not to do it. Fortunately, Jean-Francois Dugas, the lead designer on the upcoming Deus Ex: Human Revolution, isn't oblivious to its shortcomings.

Invisible War had a "good level of multi-path, multi-solution, and was actually fun to play", he said in an interview with PC Gamer. "What didn't help was that at the start of the game you don't know who you are, what your background is, or what you're doing in the world. It takes hours before you can make sense of your identity. I think it was maybe too hard to absorb and immerse in that world because it took so many hours."

"It was more futuristic and less grounded in a reality that we can relate to. I'm not talking about universal ammo - that's a whole different debate - it's more about the broader appeal," he continued. "In the first Deus Ex you have an identity already clear in your head. You're a super-soldier, you work for UNATCO, a branch of the UN. It's the near future, and you immediately see the Statue of Liberty with its head on the ground. There's something strong that you can relate to that Invisible War lacked."

And how about that much-debated universal ammo that showed up in Invisible War? "We don't have universal ammo," Dugas said.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution is scheduled for release in early 2011 for the PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

That actually hits the pont why I pretty much skipped second one. Really got alot of hope on this though!

I played through both games and experienced them as totally different. 'Invisible War' isn't really that bad but vastly inferior to it's predecessor.

It's the same with 'Condemned' and 'Condemned 2': I hold the first one as a prime example of how to make a psychologically frightening game, the second one isn't bad either but got rid of every component the first game used to create a downward spiral into madness.

I suppose I never really noticed the "too futuristic" aspect. I was too fixated with its other flaws. As wonderful as it is to hear that he's learnt from IW's mistake, I'll still not get it until it's in the bargain bin. Some of the things mentioned in a PCG (Or maybe PCZ) article last year made the whole thing seem like they'd lost their connection to reality.

"we don't have universal ammo"...-BAM- I'm buying.

I'm still not convinced that this game is going to be good, until they show that people wont be wearing leotards throughout the damn game, I'm remaining pessimistic

He's...saying...the right...things...No...NOO...NOOOO. I won't be tricked again! No hype for you DE '3' until I see gameplay or a demo!

I take it back...you guys are right, its all just hype...HYYYYYYYYYPE

Exactly! I've said it for years: Invisible War is by no means a bad game, it's only by association that it becomes subpar.

Every bit of worth playing.

Here's the list of games I want to be able to play in their finished state right now:

1. Mafia 2
2. Deus Ex 3

And I haven't even seen any of Deus Ex's gameplay yet.

mad825:
I'm still not convinced that this game is going to be good, until they show that people wont be wearing leotards throughout the damn game, I'm remaining pessimistic

Err... What?

There are screenshots out you know - I have no idea what the leotard thing is about though.

Woodsey:

mad825:

Err... What?

There are screenshots out you know - I have no idea what the leotard thing is about though.

yea, I would like to say that every time look at those screen shots this song sticks in mind:

WARNING!!, THIS SONG WILL DAMAGE YOUR TESTOSTERONE LEVELS......and you ears

Being aware of previous mistakes and correcting them sounds the same on paper, but in practice can be entirely different.

Last time I bought into hype, I purchased a shiny turd. I do not intend to repeat my mistakes.

Actually reinstalled it last week.
Again. For the nth time.
I actually even bought it on steam again even though I already own a hard copy.
Much easier to just decide to download it and have it ready to play in 10 minutes rather than having to look for the disc.

If you remove the 'Deus Ex' part of Deus Ex: Invisible War and pretend it's unrelated to the original, it's actually a decent game.
If you don't, it's a big pile of steaming... disappointment.

I have big hopes for Human Revolution.

Andy Chalk:

Invisible War had a "good level of multi-path, multi-solution, and was actually fun to play", he said in an interview with PC Gamer.

Multi-path, multi-solution? BULL! If by "multi" you mean "two:" go in the front and shoot everyone, or sneak in the back and shoot everyone.
All the choices you're supposedly allowed to make are an illusion: you can shoot up everybody in one faction at the start of the game, but you can still join them at the end (though they'll constantly complain at you for not doing the jobs you never agreed to do).
And need I mention it had one of the most painful HUDs ever conceived? Having your stats and inventory curved around the center of the screen gave this pseudo-tunnel-vision feel, and whenever a character messaged you it filled up the center of the screen (which usually happened in the middle of a firefight).

Sorry, but IW was an unforgivable failure of a game. I just pray they've learned their lesson this time around... if they make a crappy Deus Ex 3 set in my town of Detroit, I'll punch anyone from the dev team if I ever meet them.

The trailer looks good. But I have one complaint: Why is everything brown?
Seriously, why is the city brown? The original games weren't brown.

Oh for...

First, the first one was "too slow" with "not enough memorable moments" and now this one is "too futuristic"? Your first mistake was to speak anything that wasn't praise of the first one. Your second and third? Regenerating health and cover system.

I don't touch this until I see 10s or close to it across the board. IW was trash in comparison to 1 though IMO, it got dumbed down something rotten.

DaxStrife:

Andy Chalk:

Invisible War had a "good level of multi-path, multi-solution, and was actually fun to play", he said in an interview with PC Gamer.

Multi-path, multi-solution? BULL! If by "multi" you mean "two:" go in the front and shoot everyone, or sneak in the back and shoot everyone.
All the choices you're supposedly allowed to make are an illusion: you can shoot up everybody in one faction at the start of the game, but you can still join them at the end (though they'll constantly complain at you for not doing the jobs you never agreed to do).
And need I mention it had one of the most painful HUDs ever conceived? Having your stats and inventory curved around the center of the screen gave this pseudo-tunnel-vision feel, and whenever a character messaged you it filled up the center of the screen (which usually happened in the middle of a firefight).

Sorry, but IW was an unforgivable failure of a game. I just pray they've learned their lesson this time around... if they make a crappy Deus Ex 3 set in my town of Detroit, I'll punch anyone from the dev team if I ever meet them.

What FPS/RPG hybrid does freedom on how you do a level better than Deus Ex:Invisible War besides the first Deus Ex? The Thief games? Bioshocks? Well maybe System Shock 2? (which I unfortunately never played) I mean, seriously, Deus Ex 2 has it long share of flaws but it was still way better than most games that have ever came out.

I hated universal ammo in Deus Ex 2 as well as the fact I could shout someone in the head at point blank range and they live and take ten more rounds to drop. I know it's an RPG but as someone who beat Halo on Legendary that just rubbed me wrong.

Yeah, the indentity confusion hits the nail on the head. But it wasn't just the futuristic nature. The confusion goes further.

I disliked the ammo not because it was silly but because it was condusing at first. In fact, the whole console dumbed-down interface was just disorienting. You'd be surprised how much more intuitive a more complex UI where everything is labelled with its use-key is vs. the guesswork hungry-hungry-hobo gibberish in games like Deus Ex 2 or Bioshock. With a few basic mods taking the interface back to Deus Ex 1 style, the game would actually be quite playable from the first minute.

The only really bad thing I've heard about IW from friends is that the game needed to load too often and for too long.

Doug:
He's...saying...the right...things...No...NOO...NOOOO. I won't be tricked again! No hype for you DE '3' until I see gameplay or a demo!

Come on... You know you want to feel the hype. Feel it, feel it, it feels good doesn't it?...

As for this "Invvisible War" you people talk about I will deny it ever existed.

Oh yes, I remember the universal ammo thing. That was probably the most retarded thing that fanboys of ANY ip have raged about EVER. Or was it their other "complaint", that the hud in IW looks a bit enlarged and feels consol-ish? I don't think I can decide, but what I know for a fact is that the fan reception to IW was a prime example of all that's wrong with PC gamers and PC gaming in general and why noone should act surprised that it has been in decline ever since.

Damn it, now I need to find my disc, I was reading a "retrospect" on Deus Ex and the journalist had the brilliant idea of leaping off a building to bypass four levels of baddies.

I was like "why didn't I think of that?"

mad825:

Woodsey:

mad825:

Err... What?

yea, I would like to say that every time look at those screen shots this song sticks in mind:

WARNING!!, THIS SONG WILL DAMAGE YOUR TESTOSTERONE LEVELS......and you ears

Oh fuck, now I need to build something without looking at the instructions to reassert my manhood.

Invisible War's reception makes me sad. Apart from the tiny levels there wasn't really anything wrong with it, it had lots of good ideas and nearly all of them were improvements on the original in some way. Unfortunately it was never received on how good it was but how much it was like the original.

Oh for the love of... Invisible War is not a bad game. Why does everyone act like it's the worst piece of design since Superman 64. Sure, it may or may not have been quite up there with the original, but it was still miles better than pretty much every other RPG out there at the time. For my money, Invisible War was a better RPG than KOTOR (and I fucking love KOTOR). The story genuinely changes depending on your decisions, morality was never more than grey, no matter which side you chose, and... ah fuck it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBeoreJr4Yc

Show me another game (apart from the original Deus Ex)that approaches anything close to the depth of exposition shown in that one scene.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here