Rez Creator's Child of Eden Makes Motion Gaming Psychedelic

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Rez Creator's Child of Eden Makes Motion Gaming Psychedelic

Tetsuya Mizuguchi's Child of Eden might be the coolest motion gaming experience yet.

The newest game from Tetsuya Mizuguchi, creator of Rez and Lumines, is one that could prove motion gaming to be more than a fad or as an avenue to play mini-games. Child of Eden appears similar to Mizuguchi's previous works but will apparently use Microsoft's Kinect and Sony's PlayStation Move.

From what we can assume is actual gameplay footage of Child of Eden in the game's E3 2010 trailer, it operates just like Rez. Players shoot enemies that look like they came from a deep sea geometry class field trip on acid (sorry for the corny comparison, but it's true) along to the game's hip musical score.

Halfway through, a person appears that begins to control the action. He takes particular interest in a tentacled ball, but whether this object is an actual focus of the game or not is unknown. It seems like it would be, as the person is shown cleansing the ball which then grows into a tree, which is most likely a representation of the tree of knowledge from the garden of Eden. Hence the game's name.

Either way, it looks like motion gaming will have a very compelling experience in Mizuguchi and Q Entertainment's Child of Eden. It's planned for release on both the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

Wow. He almost sold me on Kinect.

Definitely a better demonstration then what Microsoft gave us.

A game for Kinect AND Move? Certainly interesting, given the vastly different technology of the devices. And it was gorgeous, to boot.

That looks like it might be dangerous to everyone's brain... I think I'm sold.

Err... I... umm, I still have no idea what it is you'd actually be doing in the game but it deffinately was a pretty trailer. However, if the released game is anything like that you can guantee Child of Eden will be the hottest game among stoners.

I may have just seen one of the most beautiful things that has come from the games industry. I could be just really easy to please though.

Yassen:
Err... I... umm, I still have no idea what it is you'd actually be doing in the game but it deffinately was a pretty trailer. However, if the released game is anything like that you can guantee Child of Eden will be the hottest game among stoners.

Rez was like that too.

In fact I wonder if he's going for the synaesthia effect like he did in Rez.

Synaesthia: Merging of the senses pretty much.

0:19

wait, Pendulum?

Anyway, On topic wow, just, wow... I might just buy Kinect if I ever had the money, just to play this.

Sir Kemper:

wait, Pendulum?

Anyway, On topic wow, just, wow... I might just buy Kinect if I ever had the money, just to play this.

Looks like one of the album covers. Huh. In Silico I guess?

hopeneverdies:

Sir Kemper:

wait, Pendulum?

Looks like one of the album covers. Huh. In Silico I guess?

Perhaps, Still, a funny coincience.

Damn you, Tetsuya, for making me want Kinetic so badly...

Is this what using acid is like?

It's like Tron and Endless Ocean had a vector-graphics baby and then fed it five pounds of LSD.

It's stuff like that, not endless minigames or hokey knockoffs, that'll sell units like Kinect or Move.

Rex was such a superb game and this follow up has been the only thing to even make me take note of Kinect.

Subsequently it was also my favorite part of the Ubisoft press conference, too bad G4 wasn't cooperating fully when it was being displayed.

This alone looks worthy of the PSMove.

As long as the move isn't as ridiculously over priced as Kinect, I know might consider it

Wow... That looks... wow...

Am I on something right now?

It looks like a screensaver. The kind of thing that is enrapturing for 5 seconds and then boring forever.

This makes me actually want a Kinect.

... That is the trippiest thing I have ever seen. I think I'll get a Kinect (I'm still not used to calling it that) for this... assuming that there are other games for it that I want to.

As a huge fan of Rez (HD), and Lumines, which I still play quite regularly, I am stoked for this title. Mizuguchi's games are some of my favorites on the Arcade.

I will spring for a Kinect if it means being able to play this. Er, eventually. If that $149 price is right....I'll be waiting a little while...

Looks really interesting. I'm very intrigued.

Purdy.
OT: Okay I'll get Natal/Kinect when it comes out just for this.

HOLY SHIT, BATMAN! Rez was incredible, especially when high, so I can't imagine what this will be like. DO WANT.

Yeah, this is making me REALLY want a Kinect as well!

Honestly, I have no Idea what the hell was going on in this trailer... I'm just about a Die-Hard REZ fan as there is, and even I'm kinda skeptical of what was "shown" vs what the real thing will be like...

Still, as I was mentioning to my roommate... Child of Eden has alot to live up to after what it's mother accomplished. The music and visuals alone has me sold, even if the final design is completely different then what's presented. In the end, I'm hoping for something like REZ 2, but with a soundtrack to represent the 2010 decade. (IE. This sound and color has delivered what I'm wishing for...)

People are impressed by this bullshit? If I wanted to play "ACID TRIP: INTERACTIVE" I'd go to my friend's place.

This is a much better demonstration than Microsoft. This actually looks pretty fun!

If you can find a recording of the Ubisoft conference you can see Tetsuya Mizuguchi demoing the game on xbox right at the start. The visuals are amazing but I'm slightly disappointed with the direction the gameplay has taken compared to Rez. Wait and see though, I guess. Maybe the move version will look more fun.

3D motion-control gaming.

I can haz acid?

SteelStallion:
People are impressed by this bullshit? If I wanted to play "ACID TRIP: INTERACTIVE" I'd go to my friend's place.

Clearly you've never played Rez. Or Geometry Wars 2. These are complete experiences. Music, visuals, everything. I'd rather not have to risk severe brain damage in order to see some sweet trippy CGI.

wait...that was a game? I thought it was just a guy waving his arms around in front of a WMP visualisation

...Wow. Now that looks like an interesting game. Can't wait to see gameplay. Also, preeeeetty graphics!!

Some great news. This game also works with normal controllers. *high five*

First game that's really impressed me so far for the Kinect. Just need a giant, wall-sized screen to play it on and I'll be sold!

Holy shit, Tetsuya actually made me touch my monitor.

manythings:
That looks like it might be dangerous to everyone's brain... I think I'm sold.

Me too!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or