New 360 "Slim" Has Built-In Overheat Protection

Pages 1 2 NEXT

New 360 "Slim" Has Built-In Overheat Protection

The new Xbox 360 "slim" has a built-in shutdown mechanism that will automatically pull the plug on the unit if it overheats before it suffers permanent damage.

Last week's news that Microsoft had solved the Red Ring of Death problem on the new Xbox 360 "slim" by getting rid of the red rings was good for some laughs but the question of what had been done to address the underlying issues remained unanswered. So it remains, but there is some good news: The new 360 will give users a heads-up that there's a problem and then shut itself down, presumably before its brain boils past the point of recovery.

An image posted on NeoGAF shows a message warning, "The Xbox 360 is shutting down to protect the console from insufficient ventilation. You can turn the console back on after the power light stops flashing."

So the Red Ring of Death has apparently morphed into the annoying but far less destructive Red Dot of Inconvenience. How the unit will actually perform under real-world conditions remains to be seen; Microsoft said at E3 that the red ring problem had "pretty much gone away," which isn't exactly a rock-solid declaration of victory, but at least new 360 owners will have a chance to rectify their heat problems before a trip to the shop becomes necessary.

via: CVG

Huh. Sounds like a good idea, although I certainly hope it does not happen that often. Does it give any time to save? I would love to think it does. Or maybe instead of just turning the machine off immediately it merely acts as a warning system.

De-evolution!

Able to post again! Yeah!

Andy Chalk:
Red Dot of Inconvenience

We MUST make this a new thing.

A question must be asked though: How many cases of this are there?

Because for all we know it might not be a manufacturing problem, and instead is just one guy putting a towel around his 360 to see what happens.

That would be annoying but atleast it warns us i guess. Maybe people should just use common sense?

It's a really good thing if you ask me, thus people are aware if their 360's are overheating and asses the environment of the console. Lets say it's stuffed in some racket and they get the message, they KNOW it will be a danger to their consoles and relocate it.

In all honesty, Microsoft done it right this time.

Nimbus:
Able to post again! Yeah!

Andy Chalk:
Red Dot of Inconvenience

We MUST make this a new thing.

Absolutely agree.

OT: Well, I'd rather have them fix the overheat problem, instead of just powering down each time. This is, however, a mighty improvement, financially, for the owners.

AT: Wth escapist? o.o... Don't scare me again like that.

Over heat protection?

More like, advising you that the console is breaking instead of just breaking randomly.

I always thought it should have had that. Come on now Red Rings of Minor Inconvenience would have just been kind of irritating.

I'm gonna love to hear the rage stories of "BUT I WANNA PLAY MW2 MOMMY!"

What if it does this during a period of "Do not shut off your console" or in the middle of a Halo 3 match?

Thats a nice lil function! Certainly useful! Should help stop making heating a problem

Cute, just cute.

Get me a console that makes waffle from the overheating.

If this is what it takes to teach jethro that standing vertical sandwiched between ancient VHS tapes or dvdboxes, or stacked on top of a DVD player with a TV sitting directly on it, aren't very good places for consumer electronics, so be it.

But its kinda weird a console with such a low ambient temperature ceiling didn't already have a overheat interrupt. Considering shit like that is standard in every PC bios, and is typically controlled by a couple bytes of code.

... And, yea, if the vast majority of bricked 360s (rrod) is overheating, thats about as random as the sun rising.

Wow thats just great. Don't solve the actual problem just stop people playing whenever the xbox feels like it. Good one microsoft.

The original image was posted by a user named Kuu at systemwars at gamespot.

It Overheated as soon as he tried playing it for a while, He let it cool down and it worked for a bit longer but hes gonna be returning it and getting another.

A lemon? maybe, But we aren't seeing massive amounts of complaints from owners of the new system saying its failing in record numbers. We have a forum post on system wars, which is now being propagated throughout the net, And we will see that it will be used to claim the new system fails in massive amounts.

So...instead of either optimizing the CPU (thus allowing it to use less electricity, ergo, run cooler) or building a more efficient heat sink/cooling system, they tack on a lazy OS script that just shuts off the console when it gets hot? What...the...hell...Microsoft?

Better hope the heat sensor doesn't misread or malfunction or else you'll have a console that'll still overheat and damage itself. Or worse, one that'll fail to boot at all because it thinks it's running hotter than it really is.

Nice job Microsoft. You get a gold star!

Vigormortis:
So...instead of either optimizing the CPU (thus allowing it to use less electricity, ergo, run cooler) or building a more efficient heat sink/cooling system, they tack on a lazy OS script that just shuts off the console when it gets hot? What...the...hell...Microsoft?

Better hope the heat sensor doesn't misread or malfunction or else you'll have a console that'll still overheat and damage itself. Or worse, one that'll fail to boot at all because it thinks it's running hotter than it really is.

Nice job Microsoft. You get a gold star!

because you know for a fact that they didn't do any of that stuff, they didn't use a 45nm process, didn't change the way the fan works, didn't change the case or motherboard, they did nothing just put a new script so it shuts down if it gets too hot...

"A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer."

Yeah, never been down this road before. Not annoying at all.

WilliamRLBaker:
The original image was posted by a user named Kuu at systemwars at gamespot.

It Overheated as soon as he tried playing it for a while, He let it cool down and it worked for a bit longer but hes gonna be returning it and getting another.

A lemon? maybe, But we aren't seeing massive amounts of complaints from owners of the new system saying its failing in record numbers. We have a forum post on system wars, which is now being propagated throughout the net, And we will see that it will be used to claim the new system fails in massive amounts.

... and it isn't occuring to him that... maybe, the console's location is the problem?

"WHATS MAH CAR KEEP FILLIN WIT WATAR WHEN I DRIVE IT INTO DA OCEAN??"

EnzoHonda:
"A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer."

I think that the anti-meltdown on GPUs and CPUs is more annoying, but then again, you shouldn't EVER have problems like that unless you keep your PC under an over or something.

So its like Iraq? Its not solved but its gotten better? lol high brow joke

'Once bitten, twice shy' springs to mind. It will fail in some way so Microsoft will profit from those foolish enough to buy a replacement.

Because developing a proper solution to the overheating problem would take too much effort...

How about this brilliant idea, people? Stop cramming your 360s into tight enclosed spaces with no breathing room and maybe you wont overheat anything to begin with... If you put your 360s in a tight spot with other things around it, you're just asking for the RRoI

Mantonio:

Because for all we know it might not be a manufacturing problem, and instead is just one guy putting a towel around his 360 to see what happens.

Indeed. If you go to the Neogaf link, it also shows a picture of the 360 in question, it's sitting in a cabinet with barely anywhere for the hot air to escape from:

Anyway, unless this starts happening to a lot of 360 slim owners, I'm going to chalk this one up to either "user error" or "lemon." The only reason this is even getting attention like this is because of the previous RROD problems MS had with original 360s.

You guys know what would been even better? If they had added a better cooling system so it doesn't overheat!

Still better then nothing I guess.

"Pretty much gone away" That's not very reassuring. But at least it shuts it self down now before melting.

You can always keep the 360's vents cleared to help this from reoccurring more. I say it's a vast improvement over the RROD if it can give you a warning before it decides to shutdown so you know when you're about to reach your limit.

Abedeus:

EnzoHonda:

I think that the anti-meltdown on GPUs and CPUs is more annoying, but then again, you shouldn't EVER have problems like that unless you keep your PC under an over or something.

The windows error hes talking about usually happened in response to nothing that catastrophic at all.

but... OVERHEATING interrupts have been a part of basic PC architecture ever since it stopped being possible have a processor without a heat sink. The fact overheating was a known issue, but the console made it out the door without some sort of prevention measure is absurd. But now that its implemented, people should be trying to figure out better placement... ya know, rather than playing it till it overheats, waiting for it to cool down, then turning it back on.

Mantonio:

I thought that's how you fixed rrod.

Good question though - is rrod still relevant with the new hardware? However I'm glad they built in this failsafe as rrod is the main reason I don't have a 360.
I just can't believe it took them so long to work in something like this.
I might get one... eventually. I can only imagine what kind of other major hardware problems these new ones might have.

I've read deeper into the Neogaf thread, and I found this:

theultimo on Neogaf:
I think he had it set up like this, blocking the vent :

Its the first i've heard of somebody killing the machine, maybe he had a faulty system as well, but it really looks like he just had it set up incorrectly.

If that person is right about that, then it's completely obvious how the console overheated. The vent that you see on the top of the console when it's laying horizontally would have been right against that side wall, blocking air flow from that. And air flow out the back would still be blocked by that cardboardish thing in the back that has the pass-through hole for cables.

It's only so long before some new horrible problem surfaces with this new 360 and the PS3 fanboys take over The Escapist. When that horrid time comes, you must keep them at bay with a list of games that are 360 and/or PC only.

"It's not broke, just needs a few weeks to cool down..."

Seriously, I truly hope the new console design improves reliability.

RDI: Catchy. I like it. Pronounced it -
"Redi":

enzilewulf:
So its like Iraq? Its not solved but its gotten better? lol high brow joke

Fucking lol'd.

OT: Time to save would be perfect...

This is more of a big deal than people think, I lost my first 360 to overheating, if it had warned me it didn't have good enough ventilation I could have fixed the problem.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.