Write Epic Fanfiction, Win a Trip to Blizzard

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Write Epic Fanfiction, Win a Trip to Blizzard

Have you ever wanted to visit the offices of Blizzard Entertainment to see where they make some of the most beloved computer games of all time? If you think you can write some great fanfiction, you just might have a shot.

I realize that I'm a lucky man. I've gotten to visit Blizzard's development studio not once but twice, and I can tell you that it is pretty much nerd Paradise on Earth. Even if you don't like Blizzard's games, the place just has so much awesome behind closed doors that I can't imagine any gamer wouldn't want to visit.

Well, now you have your chance. Blizzard is holding a reprise of its 2009 fiction contest this year, asking contestants to submit a short story (2,500 - 7,500 words) set in the Diablo, Warcraft, or StarCraft universes.

One lucky winner will be flown to Irvine, California, where they'll get a tour of the Blizzard offices and meet the people who write the actual fiction that goes into the games - as well as get their choice of a Diablo Barbarian diorama or a replica of Frostmourne, the Lich King's blade.

The rules and further details are on the Blizzard site, as are last year's winners. Either way, it's a cool offer - and people said that your fanfiction wouldn't ever get you anywhere!

As for the Blizzard judges? Well, those who are about to read a lot of really crappy fanfiction? We salute you.

*rifles through his guild's forum RP* Hmm...well, a little polish, and this should work fine. Finally, an appeal to roleplayers! Thank you, Blizzard!

I feel reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaallly sorry for the people who have to judge this contest.

Damm if only I had the time and the talent to make my writing gooder

jamesworkshop:

I see what you did there...

"As for the Blizzard judges? Well, those who are about to read a lot of really crappy fanfiction? We salute you."

Indeed.
However, I'll be submitting my own within a couple of days, so here's hoping my salute gets me extra props ;)

Novania:

jamesworkshop:

I Didn't not expect anyone to spot that so quickly

Once upon a time in the World of Warcraft there was an Orc called Blork. He was a particularly fat and ugly orc but that didn't stop him making an effort to dress to impress.

He was happy enough in the World of Warcraft doing whatever people do there, I don't know, but one day a strange human recruitment agent approached him with a proposition.

"Why don't you come with me in this glass elevator and leave this world behind. Ahead of you lies a promising career in chartered accountancy. Far away from the mundane World of Warcraft."

Blork considered his options then entered the glass lift and spent many years mastering the arts of double entry book keeping until one day he fell into an open manhole which somehow returned him to the World of Warcraft. He was disappointed as there was no need for accountants in this world so felt like the time he spent mastering his trade was wasted. Later he found out that the World of Warcraft was actually all about numbers and stuff so there is some sort of happy ending to this tale.

Fin.

Can I has my free holiday now?

Man, if I thought I had a chance at this, I would be all over it. I do have some friends who do fanfiction, though, maybe I should ask them if they're interested...

Wow, to be honest I didn't expect it to be open to people outside the US. I might actually take a shot at this. Not that I'm anywhere near good enough a writer for something like this, but you miss 100% of the shots you never take, right?

jamesworkshop:

Novania:

jamesworkshop:

I Didn't not expect anyone to spot that so quickly

Wait....you were expecting me to notice it?

One thousand vile sex fanfictions later:

"This was a ugly mistake."

Finally, my Blood Elf/Night Elf yaoi fanfiction will actually be useful!!!

MorteSphere:

And they only have themselves to blame I predict lot of Alternate universe/Cross-over Andariel/Kerrigan Yuri Fics with illustrations

100% Nightmare fuel

MorteSphere:

jpg[/img]

I predict lot of Alternate universe/

Double post sorry

Taco of flames:
Man, if I thought I had a chance at this, I would be all over it. I do have some friends who do fanfiction, though, maybe I should ask them if they're interested...

Hurr Durr Derp:
Wow, to be honest I didn't expect it to be open to people outside the US. I might actually take a shot at this. Not that I'm anywhere near good enough a writer for something like this, but you miss 100% of the shots you never take, right?

Nonsense you two. I majored in creative writing and I don't think I have a shot. I'm sure everyone thinks they don't have a shot, but someone has to win. You should give it your all anyway. I'm certainly going to. Just the possiblity of winning this is worth it.

canadamus_prime:
I feel reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaallly sorry for the people who have to judge this contest.

Expect a large number of them to quit Blizzard and become anti internet lobbyists...

Hmmm, well I'd probably embarass myself badly if I ever went to Blizzard's offices, but I have always wanted to try my hand at writing. Sadly my grasp of english isn't that great.

Who knows maybe I will ensure my eternal fame by failing so spectacularly that my work becomes as well known as "My Immortal"

http://encyclopediadramatica.com/My_Immortal

Probably the best, bad work of fanfiction ever. :)

I know, I know, it's the dream of many bad wannabee writers.

...People... Outside... Of the US... Can... Enter? I... I don't know what this emotion is, I haven't felt it in so long!

Right... TO WORD!

Sniper Team 4:

Taco of flames:

Hurr Durr Derp:

Nonsense you two. I majored in creative writing and I don't think I have a shot. I'm sure everyone thinks they don't have a shot, but someone has to win. You should give it your all anyway. I'm certainly going to. Just the possiblity of winning this is worth it.

That's... kinda.... exactly what I was saying.

Therumancer:
Hmmm, well I'd probably embarrass myself badly if I ever went to Blizzard's offices, but I have always wanted to try my hand at writing. Sadly my grasp of english isn't that great.

Who knows maybe I will ensure my eternal fame by failing so spectacularly that my work becomes as well known as "My Immortal"

http://encyclopediadramatica.com/My_Immortal

Probably the best, bad work of fanfiction ever. :)

I know, I know, it's the dream of many bad wannabee writers.

Therumancer. You write half page paragraphs and more on just about everything you debate seriously. -_^ And, I don't think I've noticed anything in the way of failure in the English language on your part.

Of course, you could just be sitting on a pile of sarcasm right there. If you think you're going to fail, what chance have the rest of us? xD

Oh to be a fly on the wall wherever the judges will be reading these. I wonder how many Illidan/Arthas' they'll get.

jamesworkshop:
And they only have themselves to blame I predict lot of Alternate universe/Cross-over Andariel/Kerrigan Yuri Fics with illustrations

100% Nightmare fuel

If that's the stuff of nightmares, then I don't wanna dream. xP

Blizzard, why do you keep doing this to me? Why do you open a fan fiction contest in which I would love to participate, but can't beacuse my country is not eligible? And to make matters worse, I can't participate through someone else either. =(

Damn my awful writing skills. If I submit a picture of a banana wearing earrings can I get a "mercy" trip to blizzard?

Of course, Europe is totally shafted, am I right? AM I RIGHT?!

Temping, but since I have never played any of their games, despite getting Diablo as a give many years ago, I have nothing at all to draw upon for a story. I mean, absolutely nothing. I would probably put Drow in it when they have... some other kind of evil elf type thing. So I would write a generic fantasy story and just google up references to their game world. It would be the most pathetic thing I have ever done. And then even if I won I wouldn't go because why would I want to? I don't play their games.

Still tempting just to see if I could cobble up a shitty, shitty story.

My Immortal Arthas

Coming soon...

I am sure some gems will shine through...but...so much crap that is going to come through on it too...will be so rediculous!

vivadelkitty:
*rifles through his guild's forum RP* Hmm...well, a little polish, and this should work fine. Finally, an appeal to roleplayers! Thank you, Blizzard!

Read the FAQ, they won't count actual in-game happenings as literal fiction:

Q: My entry is more of a moment-by-moment account of what my character does in-game. Is that okay?
A: We're looking for complete literary works of short fiction based on the Warcraft, StarCraft, or Diablo franchise. Accounts of in-game events or works that detail game mechanics are not literary fiction. Again, we highly encourage you to take a look at last year's winners for guidance.

That being said! I'm going to enter this with a StarCraft story, but I'll have to do my research! Oh god, help my pen...

Wonder how many slash fics they recieved?

"And then the mighty Tauren looked down at his gnome compatriot, new feelings were stirring up inside him..."

Hmm, I'm kinda good at this.

As for the Blizzard judges? Well, those who are about to read a lot of really crappy fanfiction? We salute you.

If they weren't ready to take the bad together with the good, then there shouldn't have been a contest to begin with. So screw it I say - let 'em see ALL that they have inspired heheh.

Having said that, there is also plenty of good fanfiction too. And Blizzard's universes have the potential to inspire such just as well as the bad.

Orange_Clockwork:

vivadelkitty:

Read the FAQ, they won't count actual in-game happenings as literal fiction:

Q: My entry is more of a moment-by-moment account of what my character does in-game. Is that okay?
A: We're looking for complete literary works of short fiction based on the Warcraft, StarCraft, or Diablo franchise. Accounts of in-game events or works that detail game mechanics are not literary fiction. Again, we highly encourage you to take a look at last year's winners for guidance.

That being said! I'm going to enter this with a StarCraft story, but I'll have to do my research! Oh god, help my pen...

Except...it's not an account of in-game occurences. That's why it's on a forum, because that allows for things you can't do in-game. The only in-game tie is the character name, the rest is well, a story.

I tried to beef up an old kids story I wrote for my step daughter when she was little, but I could only get it up to 1200 words before it felt bloated. Maybe I'll work more on it later.

vivadelkitty:
Snip

Orange_Clockwork:
Snip

vivadelkitty:
Snip

Apologies, didn't read the forum part, sorta skimmed it.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.