BioWare Says the PC is "Made For Games"

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

BioWare Says the PC is "Made For Games"

BioWare designer Daniel Erickson says the PC is "made for games" and that despite the never-ending predictions of its imminent demise, it's the "natural" platform for BioWare's RPGs.

If you're a PC gamer then odds are you've been told at least twice in the past that your platform of choice isn't just irrelevant, it's practically dead. Game developers don't like the PC, they've stopped supporting the PC and within the next, oh, 30 days or so the only thing you'll have left to play will be MMOGs, Zuma and FarmVille. To borrow a phrase from Kermit the Frog, it's not easy bein' PC.

But maybe it's not quite as bad as all that. Erickson, in fact, who worked on Dragon Age: Origins before joining the Old Republic team in Austin, almost sounds as though he likes it. "Every two or three years we hear the announcement of fantasy being dead, PC gaming being dead and RPGs being dead," he told CVG. "And yet, all of the biggest games that ever come out - that set the records - are nearly always PC games, and a lot of them are fantasy games."

"The biggest game in the world is a fantasy, PC, RPG MMO. We all know the drawbacks of PC. We all scream at our boxes and try to make stuff work," he continued. "But at the same time, the interface is made for games. The mouse/keyboard interface allows so much less restriction [than console]."

World of Warcraft notwithstanding, I'm not so sure about the "biggest games" being mostly PC; I think it's closer to the mark to say that there are successful PC versions of major multi-platform hits like Mass Effect 2 or Grand Theft Auto IV. Regardless of how you split that hair, however, Erickson said the PC remains a very important part of the BioWare formula.

"There was not a question when we started Old Republic - or any of our games, for that matter - [what the lead format would be]," he said. "There's a reason the lead SKU for Dragon Age was [PC] as well. When we're developing an RPG, it's a natural place to be."

Obvious post is obvious

I never really understood it anyway.
The PC does RPGs/MMOs/FPSs better than the consoles.
The consoles do platforms, action-arcade, fighting.
PC is personalised, consoles are comfortable but constrained.

I could say something about living in peace with each other, but the last guy to do that was nailed to a tree 2 millenium ago.

Glad to hear it since i just bought be a new super computer too \o/ go bioware <3

The PC is far, far, far, far, far away from dying.

As for fantasy, that's dying...Sadly. Thanks to this sci-fi shit. And this post apocalyptic shit, too. And steampunk, to a very small degree.

RPGs will never die. Japan has a never ending flow of RPGs. WRPGs are slow coming though. Not too many. But still more than enough.

Now...if only I could get Morrowind mods to work on my Steam copy of Morrowind...I modded Oblivion fine. But Morrowind just doesn't want to cooperate.

The_root_of_all_evil:
Obvious post in obvious

I saw this news post and actually said "I wonder how long it's going to take for someone to post that picture."

Not long at all.

Well, yeah, what would you expect from Bioware?
Their games I always associated with PC.
Except for Mass Effect, the first one.
But, yeah, concerning the MMORPG they're currently working on, the guy is absolutely right.

Andy Chalk:

World of Warcraft notwithstanding, I'm not so sure about the "biggest games" being mostly PC; I think it's closer to the mark to say that there are successful PC versions of major multi-platform hits like Mass Effect 2 or Grand Theft Auto IV. Regardless of how you split that hair, however, Erickson said the PC remains a very important part of the BioWare formula.

What about Half Life 2?
A PC game with a successful Console version
Or perhaps the Sims?
Crysis?
Fallout?

But yeah no. PC games are just successful console ports

I always like it when developers I'm fond of justify that fondness :)

Plus, it's always seemed to me that in a perfect world, every game come out on PC *and* consoles, so it's nice to see someone thinking in that direction.

Damn straight, and I buying some of their games.

While is simply have no idea if PC-Gaming is dying or not, and i do not really care, i have to say only one thing to this "Interview-/what-he-said-thingy".

They are making and MMO for the PC, also they are regularely releasing other gamns for the PC.

Independent from what they really think it is kinda obvious that it wouldn't benefit them if he would go and say "Baah, PC Gaming is SOOOO dead, i don't know why we even try to bring out more then MMO's on it!".

By the way, i mainly play games on Consoles, but when when i want to play really good Adventures like Machinarium or the Dreamfall ones, where do i go to? ^.^

Lol, its nice to see the obvious being said by someone in power, even if a little dumb in a "I told you so way"

felixader:

By the way, i mainly play games on Consoles, but when when i want to play really good Adventures like Machinarium or the Dreamfall ones, where do i go to? ^.^

Wait...Dreamfall: The Longest Journey had horrid controls on PC. The original TLJ was grand, though. But Dreamfall...UGH, at the controls. I ended up buying it for the Xbox.

Nope, can't say I think PC's gaming's on the way out either. I spend 75% of my gaming time playing on the PC, if not more.

There are so many reasons the PCs will always remain alive, from the sprawling Indie-games scene to the many hardcore strategy and RPG titles. Most competitive FPS's also do best on the PC. Then you've got Steam, MMOs, and the thousands upon thousands of classic PC games that will never go away. The PC is one hell of a gaming platform, and I'm glad to have one.

Actually if you wanted to get technical, consoles are made for games, what with them being gaming consoles. Really though, I could care less what platform people use to play games, though I've been looking into PC gaming as of recent...

comadorcrack:
PC games are just pretty good conversions from Consoles

What?

Awesome, since I hate fantasy games and my PC can't run shit.

Xiorell:

comadorcrack:
PC games are just pretty good conversions from Consoles

What?

Hmmm... I see you're point... Let me just re-word that

Onyx Oblivion:

Now...if only I could get Morrowind mods to work on my Steam copy of Morrowind...I modded Oblivion fine. But Morrowind just doesn't want to cooperate.

You have to redate your BSA files.

OP: Well, the PC isn't dying. Everyone with a bit of sense knows that. What's happening is that major, mainstream studios are pulling out, but the smaller devs, those that know their community, they're sticking around as always. I think it's a good thing, I'd much rather have more games from GSC than I would another DRM nightmare from Ubisoft. I say let em leave!

Grand Theft Auto IV successful on PC?

AHAHHAHAHAHAH AHH AH HA HAH HAH AH HAH OHOHOHOHO OOOH GOOOOD MY SIDES!! THEY BE SPLITTING! If you consider an overpriced, badly optimized, impossible to run on dual cored machines without the newest line of graphic cards at more than 15-20 FPS after several months after the console versions is considered a "success"?

Akhem. I agree with him. One of the reasons I've been a Bioware games' fan since 2001.

Furburt:

Onyx Oblivion:

Never even thought of that...Thanks, Mr. Furburt Man Guy Thing!

If it's a strategy or shooter, I buy it for the PC, because they need mouse control.

If it's an action twitchy game, I buy it for console, because they need a joystick and easily located buttons.

Otherwise, I buy it for PC if my PC can run it. My laptop makes it portable and I like digital distribution. PC gaming is not going to die until some there's some paradigm shift that fundamentally changes gaming, like the head-implant computers from Shadowrun.

How many copies has Mass Effect 2 sold, anyway?

Hmm... well, it's nice to know someone big in the game loves the PC, but come on... was it really dying? They keep saying it's on life support, but last I checked I saw it do ten laps in the pool and then five more on the track. You just have to find the games for it, they are out there.

comadorcrack:

Andy Chalk:

What about Half Life 2?
A PC game with a successful Console version
Or perhaps the Sims?
Crysis?
Fallout?

But yeah no. PC games are just pretty good conversions from Consoles

Best use of sarcasm ever.

Onyx Oblivion:

Aye. You have to get a plugin for it, I can't remember what it's called, just google "Windows File Redate" and you'll get something.

What you want to do is get all your .bsa files, redate them from 2010 to 2002, and then turn off steam overlay in game and that should work fine.

If I had a better PC I'd probably spend more time playing on it. As it happens, I mainly use it for playing older games, since that's all it's about able to do. Platform supremacists piss me off though.

FragRaptor:
PC gamers think for themselves, Console gamers conform.

PC gamers are the proud minority.

Why here's one now! Look how informed and unbiased his sweeping generalisation is!

PC is obviously better for strategy games, and in my opinion FPS. Perhaps others as well.

But to generalize it and say that "the PC is made for games" is like saying a mouse-trap is made for storing cheese.

Furburt:

Onyx Oblivion:

OP: Well, the PC isn't dying. Everyone with a bit of sense knows that. What's happening is that major, mainstream studios are pulling out, but the smaller devs, those that know their community, they're sticking around as always. I think it's a good thing, I'd much rather have more games from GSC than I would another DRM nightmare from Ubisoft. I say let em leave!

Thruthful post is true! Although my less egoistic part tells me that a stalker game coming to a console(whithout dumbing down) would really open many peoples minds.

Furburt:

Onyx Oblivion:

Aye. You have to get a plugin for it, I can't remember what it's called, just google "Windows File Redate" and you'll get something.

What you want to do is get all your .bsa files, redate them from 2010 to 2002, and then turn off steam overlay in game and that should work fine.

Steam Overlay doesn't work in it anyway. All I really wanted was the Community Patch from the UESP Wiki. Morrowind is one BROKEN ass game. NPCs that don't exist...Glitches up the arse...Unintuitive magic system...

I still love it, though.

I know that the Escapist news reporters like to attribute quotes from people to entire companies, but I'd swear that Bioware gets the worst of it.

Also, in before hate starts spewing from every corner of this thread.

So, to my count, we have Valve and Bioware on the PC gaming bandwagon. Anyone else wanna join?

FragRaptor:
PC gamers think for themselves, Console gamers conform.

PC gamers are the proud minority.

Welcome to the Escapist, I hope you put a little bit more thought into your future posts, because this one is absolutely ridiculous.

OT: I don't game on my PC, but the more people who get to enjoy Bioware's goodness, the better.

I'll buy the PC gaming is dead argument when games get made on a console.

V8 Ninja:
So, to my count, we have Valve and Bioware on the PC gaming bandwagon. Anyone else wanna join?

GSC and 4A games.

Well, yeah it is made for gaming. If it wasn't then there would be three buttons on it: Word, Email, Facebook.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.