THQ Reveals Metro 2034 - In 3D!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

THQ has announced that a 3D sequel to Metro 2033 is in the works, creatively entitled Metro 2034.

Developed by 4A Games, Metro 2033 is a classic Ukrainian shooter: Weird, bleak and tough. In other words, it was awesome if you're a fan of that sort of thing and a surprising number of people seemed to be, as the game racked up an aggregate score of 81 on Metacritic and, more importantly, turned into a money-maker for THQ fairly quickly. As a result, THQ Vice President Danny Bilson revealed, a sequel is on the way.

"We're showing Metro 2033 in 3D right now, which Nvidia is showing as one of their key demo products," he told CVG. "We're going to be doing a 3D version of that on Metro 2034 - the sequel."

Metro 2033 wasn't a huge, runaway hit by any measure, but it had something going for it that games like Halo and Gears of War simply can't bring to the table: It was cheap. According to Bilson, the sequel will be too, which is another reason why it got a green light. "There will be some engineering costs there, but that's in our lowest cost center in the world," he added. "Those games are unbelievably reasonable, they're built in Kiev."

No word on when Metro 2034 will be released or what platforms it will appear on, but if it's made in Kiev it's a safe bet that the PC will be at the top of the list. Metro 2033 owners will be able to enjoy a fresh batch of post-apocalyptic Moscow subway shooter goodness in the very near future, however, as THQ is planning the release of the game's first DLC update, which will include new weapons, Achievements and the new "Ranger Mode" of gameplay, in "the very near future."

Wow. That game was cheap to make?

It was more amazing than most big budget shooters.

Hell, it's likely my shooter of the year.

Not overall game. Because...Bayonetta.

I'd like to know exactly how cheap it was to make, though...

One more thing:

Didn't the Escapist review tear it to shreds, though? I think it was a 2/5.

God damn it...One more thing...I thought of Uncle.

if they polish it up, maybe make it sandbox, it would
DEFINITELY
make it to my playlist

Onyx Oblivion:

One more thing:

logan westbrooks first review i believe
he reviewed it as a shooter, which i can respect, but it was more then a shooter, it was a journey. but if they gave you the option to take extra missions to earn money, go scavenging above ground, more weapon options... it could shine!
some call this series games... i call them bitches!

It's not 4A games fault the sequel has such an unoriginal name, it's just that the writter of the Metro books decided to call the sequel that way.
Anyway I can't wait for this, Metro 2033 wipes the floor crap like MW2, MAG, Killzone, Resistance, Halo and all that garbage.

Onyx Oblivion:

One more thing:

Yeah, but that was Logan Westbrook. Maybe Andy loved it?

I know I did!

OP: YAAAAAAAAAY

The first one is vying with Mass Effect 2 for my game of the year, so I'm definitely picking this one up. Doubt I'll be using the 3D, but I know if it's anywhere near as good as the first, it's a getter.

I think we should really start looking towards the east for PC gaming goodness.

Good old Ukraine.

EDIT: DLC? WANT. WANT NOW.

So... wait... you mean the book had a sequel also? Huh.

If not... this won't bode well, methinks.

I really enjoyed Metro 2033, it was very atmospheric and unique, definitely a breath of fresh air in the otherwise quite stagnant shooter genre. There were some amazing scripted events and special scenes (such as the railroad chase) which kept things interesting throughout the whole game. My only complaint is that you didn't get to spend much time in the settlements, which were beautifully detailed and made it feel like people really lived there.

Oh and the mouse control wasn't quite perfect as it had some non-linearity to it, but it was not too bad and I have come to expect non-linear mouse control in current generation games, but oh well, if I want to go back to accurate mouse control, I can still play games from 2005 and before, and the few games from current gen which don't have mouse problems.

DeathByTheSword:
It's not 4A games fault the sequel has such an unoriginal name, it's just that the writter of the Metro books decided to call the sequel that way.

True, but I can't think of a better sequel title. Loved the first game, so I'm looking forward to this.

Onyx Oblivion:

One more thing:

God damn it...One more thing...I thought of Uncle.

I hated it. Particularly the parts around the Nazi/communist warzone where it became rather confusing in terms of goals/direction.

That being said I adored the story (fan of the book, though the translation is a little bizarre. It reads like there was no editing at all. You end up with lines like "My name is Hunter" he said, leaning forward "It means 'one who hunts'") and if a second game can fix the occasionally dodgy AI, sluggish shooting and bad stealth then I'll be all over it.

It could be worse. They could call it Metro 2033D.

WOOO!

Let's hope for a solid ending this time!

Andy Chalk:

Uhhh Why do people think that this gets a sequel JUST because of the money? Do you even know that its based on the NEW book called Metro 2034?
Otherwise all is well Andy, ohh and why dont we get a S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripyat review?

With Metro 2033 as a starting point theres no way 2034 can fail. The only gripe I had with that game was the auto shotgun not killing with a point blank headshot, I loved everything else

Woo!
Let's hope for a solid ending this time!

Andy Chalk:
creatively entitled Metro 2034.

thenumberthirteen:
It could be worse. They could call it Metro 2033D.

The names follow the names of the books. Dmitry Glukhovsky wrote a indirect sequel to Metro 2033, called Metro 2034, which was based a year later...

Charcharo:

Andy Chalk:

Uhhh Why do people think that this gets a sequel JUST because of the money? Do you even know that its based on the NEW book called Metro 2034?
Otherwise all is well Andy, ohh and why dont we get a S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripyat review?

Of course it's just because of the money, why would a company ever do anything if not for money ?

I liked metro 2033 (which also came fully rendered in 3d on the PC) and hope to see them build on a flawed but unique and promising game. How come people marked it down as "Too liniar" but that never gets a mention in the reveiws of the extended cutscene that was the singleplayer of MW2?

Charcharo:

Andy Chalk:

Stalker is not really mainstream and the ones who do review it usually don't like it..
Though a CoP review would be nice.

dochmbi:

Charcharo:

Andy Chalk:

Of course it's just because of the money, why would a company ever do anything if not for money?

Well thats because I do not see GSC simplified their game for the casual market, therefore getting a lot of hate and less money. Yet their games are A.W.S.O.M.E.
Besides, I think that a game with that much soul was made for more than just money.
Oh and THQ do not make games...

I never understood that either.

I never new Metro 2034 existed, does anyone know if it's any good? The book that is.

Good news, except for the 3D part which is a waste of money that could be spent better, in my opinion.

Stranger of Sorts:
I never new Metro 2034 existed, does anyone know if it's any good? The book that is.

It was a very good book. Almost as good as metro 2033 ( if it was longer...) BUT its not in English yet, we here in Bulgaria got it early and with a very good translation. I didnt know that the English one for METRO 2033 was that bad. The Bulgarian one is almost perfect.

I still haven't tried 2033, but perhaps I'll give it a try once 2034 is released.

NLS:
I still haven't tried 2033, but perhaps I'll give it a try once 2034 is released.

You probably wont understand Metro 2034 without reading or playing metro 2033

dryg:

Charcharo:

Andy Chalk:

Stalker is not really mainstream and the ones who do review it usually don't like it..
Though a CoP review would be nice.

It got a 80/100 as far as I remember. Thats a lot my friend, although it deserves at least a 90/100

Charcharo:

Stranger of Sorts:

It was a very good book. Almost as good as metro 2033 ( if it was longer...) BUT its not in English yet, we here in Bulgaria got it early and with a very good translation. I didnt know that the English one for METRO 2033 was that bad. The Bulgarian one is almost perfect.

Okay thanks, I just finished Metro 2033 last week and I'm still on a high from how great it was.

Mr. Grey:

The funny thing is, the book's sequel isn't even in english yet.

Metro 2033 is already Nvidia certified for Stereoscopic 3d on 3dvision. Looks incredible :)

Wow, already? Well I guss everyone jumping onto the band wagon...

I did like the game, but, I hardlty see how 3D will improve it dramatically...

Metro 2033 is already Nvidia certified for Stereoscopic 3d on 3dvision. Looks incredible :) So I guess I'm a little confused about what they mean by a 3d version?

Charcharo:

NLS:

Thus why I'll wait for 2034 to come out, so I can play through 2033 and then 2034 in one run :)

NLS:

Charcharo:

NLS:

Thus why I'll wait for 2034 to come out, so I can play through 2033 and then 2034 in one run :)

Thats smart. Good thing I read the books in one go or else I could not wait for the game... Oh wait, now im waiting for Metro 2035 book and game... SHIT!

shadow741:

Mr. Grey:

The funny thing is, the book's sequel isn't even in english yet.

So long as there is a source material they can work with, I'm sure they'll do fine to fantastic. It's usually when anyone doesn't have a source material to work with they hit a few brick walls. Hard.

Ugh, I just don't like this 3d gaming idea.

TheScarecrow:
Ugh, I just don't like this 3d gaming idea.

3D? I'm wating for holograms.

Metro 2033 was a flat-out amazing game. Sure, it had issues (the now famous shotgun impotence being my biggest gripe), but Metro 2033 had a character unlike any contemprary shooter. The game world had a sense of dreary despair, and every shot you fired hung in the air like a note of defiance. The pacing was incredible - I don't believe I've had such a well-coordinated thrill ride since Half-Life 2 or Call of Duty 4.

Logan Westbrook needs to get off his console FPS staples and play some PC-specific shooters (such as Stalker) to round out his gaming experience.

As for Metro 2034, I'm snapping it up the moment it hits Steam.

Furburt:

Onyx Oblivion:

One more thing:

Yeah, but that was Logan Westbrook. Maybe Andy loved it?

I know I did!

OP: YAAAAAAAAAY

The first one is vying with Mass Effect 2 for my game of the year, so I'm definitely picking this one up. Doubt I'll be using the 3D, but I know if it's anywhere near as good as the first, it's a getter.

I think we should really start looking towards the east for PC gaming goodness.

Good old Ukraine.

EDIT: DLC? WANT. WANT NOW.

hey, my mom and dad said I could get the THQ pack today if I help them with yard work and stuff tomorrow. YAY I will be able to play Metro 2033... and other games... I am going to be really bussy...

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here