Games Need a Billboard Top Ten, Says ESA President

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Games Need a Billboard Top Ten, Says ESA President

Taking lessons from the movie and music industry could be a big help for videogames, according to the ESA's Michael Gallagher.

Hearing that an artist has a number one single, or that a movie has topped the box office charts is pretty commonplace, but as yet, videogames lack an official chart of their own. ESA President Michael Gallagher is hoping that will soon change however, as he believes that a chart for games would be of great benefit to the industry.

"You now have significant revenue, and growth and investment, and where that flows you tend to get better information," Gallagher said. "Reporters ask for it, investors certainly do and then there are consumers. There is an advantage to the companies to figure out a way to report that."

"Someone had better do it or you're going to have a trade association doing it," he added. "It has got to be done."

Gallagher said that the current sources of information give an incomplete picture of how videogames are being consumed by the public. He cited the NPD Group, which doesn't track the digital sales, as an example, and said that it had effectively ignored the growth of Zynga, a developer that some have valued at around $4 billion. "It has a phenomenal rate of growth that is not captured," he said. "So there is a disconnect."

Gallagher said that he hoped some sort of structure was put in place soon, so that people could get a more accurate picture of the industry. "I'd like to see it move faster," he said. "I think this industry is accomplishing great things across a far great reach, than is traditionally reported."

Source: Kotaku

Hmm, I like that idea. I was ready to hate it, but I like it.

I like it, it seems like a good idea.

I've always wanted something like this to be honest.

Like with the above, I am quite pleased with the idea. Lets see how the execution is going to be though.

There's one problem with this. Games are much more predictable and don't fluctuate has much.
1. W.O.W.
2. Farmville
3.Modern warfare
That is what it will be, for a long long time.

Please... don't call Zynga a developer, at least not along with real game developers.

ultimateownage:
There's one problem with this. Games are much more predictable and don't fluctuate has much.
1. W.O.W.
2. Farmville
3.Modern warfare

Pretty much this.^^

ultimateownage:
1. W.O.W.
2. Farmville
3.Modern warfare

Pretty much what I was going to say.

It'll be just like the movie or television industry where they look at what sells and just re-sell it over and over again in different guises.

Hell, it happens enough already, we don't need it more.

For those who don't know, in our Community tab up top, we have a link to a list of the top games Escapists are playing (those who linked their live/psn/steam accounts at least): http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/top_games

It's a pretty nifty list of what people that I would think consider themselves gamers are actually playing right now.

fenrizz:
I like it, it seems like a good idea.

I've always wanted something like this to be honest.

Same here, I thought it would make sense, and, it seems other share the same thought. It could be pretty cool, to at least look at

I don't see the point of it. Who even knows what's number one in the Billboard chart without Googling it?

What a totally pointless and meaningless idea. Does anyone pay any attention to the music or movie charts these days?

Kross:
For those who don't know, in our Community tab up top, we have a link to a list of the top games Escapists are playing (those who linked their live/psn/steam accounts at least): http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/top_games

It's a pretty nifty list of what people that I would think consider themselves gamers are actually playing right now.

Top PS3 games-21-Toy Story 3.

0.o

Videogames also need something comparable to cinemas and concerts to offset costs of home copies, but thats not going to happen either.

Pretty sure at this point, the industry would fight, tooth and nail, the establishment of an independent 'billboard' type entity, as they wouldn't be able to just quote random biased publications on the box.

Kross:

I didn't know that existed, so cool!
I'd say that this is much better than the idea that the man in the news post had.
With this, the list would change based on game quality much more than the Billboard-esque revenue list, as UltimateOwnage and so many others have said.

I think it would be a great idea.

dekkarax:

Kross:

Top PS3 games-21-Toy Story 3.

0.o

I'd recommend Toy Story 3 highly.
While it isn't as intense as GTA or any other sandbox game, it is a pretty above average rail shooter with a fun sandbox mode.
Not to mention the enormous amounts of nostalgia due to it being Toy Story.

ultimateownage:
1. W.O.W.
2. Farmville
3.Modern warfare

Well, its due to change over time. I imagine when the successor to Modern Warfare 2 comes out, that game will top MW, or if Blizzard releases a new MMO or something most users will transfer to the successor. I imagine that's what will happen. But then again, what about expansions? What does that make Cataclysm? Or for that matter, FrontierVille (Face it. It's the almost the same shit with a new coat of paint.)

ultimateownage:
1. W.O.W.
2. Farmville
3.Modern warfare

Nailed it on the head. It'll just make it harder to get new IP's off the ground, as well as make it much more difficult to identify the smaller titles that're worth a shit. People will mainly start focusing on the board and shoot for whatever is in that top 10.

Unfortunately, games work much differently than movies and music in terms of sales and demand, especially when you throw MMO's in the mix.

What would the chart be based off?

If it's purely from sales we'd have fanboys and misinformed parents blabbering on about how MW5 is the greatest game in existence and how indie games are all terrible.

No.

No no no.

I'd prefer to die.

This is a terrible idea.

Fuck it, I'm killing myself preemptively.

Legion:

ultimateownage:
1. W.O.W.
2. Farmville
3.Modern warfare

Pretty much what I was going to say.

It'll be just like the movie or television industry where they look at what sells and just re-sell it over and over again in different guises.

Hell, it happens enough already, we don't need it more.

Yeah. What they said.

We already know the top games. Sure it changes a little bit, but nothing drastic. When a big-name game comes out, that may shoot to the top, but a while later it will go back to what it was.

That's actually not a bad idea. It's not particularly hard and it's an accurate sale measurement. reg like.

ultimateownage:
1. W.O.W.
2. Farmville
3.Modern warfare

Oh I don't know about that.
You couldn't count subscription fees, only game purchases. And by that measure, Farmville wouldn't even make it on the list since you don't 'buy' the game. Modern Warfare can't still be the best selling game, and so the list would change.

I like the idea.

Baby Tea:

ultimateownage:
1. W.O.W.
2. Farmville
3.Modern warfare

Oh I don't know about that.
You couldn't count subscription fees, only game purchases. And by that measure, Farmville wouldn't even make it on the list since you don't 'buy' the game. Modern Warfare can't still be the best selling game, and so the list would change.

I like the idea.

Well, Call Of Duty would always be up there, lots of people are still buying WOW. My Gamestation runs a top 10 chart, and WOW plus all its expansions are still up there in 1-5 spots. If Farmville didn't count than it the #3 spot would be slightly less predictable though.

Might be interesting to see, but let's have it run by gamers so it doesn't read
1. Farmville
2. Mafia Wars
3. Modern Warfare 2
4. Vampire Wars

ultimateownage:
Well, Call Of Duty would always be up there, lots of people are still buying WOW. My Gamestation runs a top 10 chart, and WOW plus all its expansions are still up there in 1-5 spots. If Farmville didn't count than it the #3 spot would be slightly less predictable though.

While I'm certain people are still buying MW2 and WoW +expansions, I can't imagine that MW2, for example, would still outsell, at this point, a new game release like Crackdown 2 or something. Everyone who really wants MW2 already has it. As for the WoW expansions, that'd be a bit harder to judge I guess.

Honestly, I don't know what's selling huge right now. I'm not in that industry.
But that doesn't make the list worthless. Books are on the New York Times 'Best Seller list' for weeks and weeks and weeks. It doesn't make it wrong or worthless (Especially since there are other books on there that move around).

Even if the top 5 spots are clogged with the last big shooter and WoW, the rest of the chart would still fluctuate enough for people to get some useful info out of it. I still like the idea.

ultimateownage:
1. W.O.W.
2. Farmville
3.Modern warfare

Couldn't have said it better myself.
Sadly, this will most likely be the out come of it...
On another note, your avatar is hypnotic. 0_o

Baby Tea:

ultimateownage:

While I'm certain people are still buying MW2 and WoW +expansions, I can't imagine that MW2, for example, would still outsell, at this point, a new game release like Crackdown 2 or something. Everyone who really wants MW2 already has it. As for the WoW expansions, that'd be a bit harder to judge I guess.

But that doesn't make the list worthless. Books are on the New York Times 'Best Seller list' for weeks and weeks and weeks. It doesn't make it wrong or worthless (Especially since there are other books on there that move around).

Even if the top 5 spots are clogged with the last big shooter and WoW, the rest of the chart would still fluctuate enough for people to get some useful info out of it. I still like the idea.

It does have some advantages, I just can't see it being all that useful for the industry. It would be interesting to see what people buy though, if not a bit depressing seeing all the brilliant new IP's never make it on the list. *cough*BrutalLegend*cough*

ultimateownage:
It would be interesting to see what people buy though, if not a bit depressing seeing all the brilliant new IP's never make it on the list. *cough*BrutalLegend*cough*

Less depressing than when the brilliant new IPs you want to try get cancelled on PC and so you never get to play them. *cough*BrutalLegendAlanWake*cough*

ultimateownage:

Baby Tea:

ultimateownage:

It does have some advantages, I just can't see it being all that useful for the industry. It would be interesting to see what people buy though, if not a bit depressing seeing all the brilliant new IP's never make it on the list. *cough*BrutalLegend*cough*

I think you meant something other than brutal legend. It was an awful game smothering a great universe. Brutal legend would have made a much better comic book or animated series.

It's not a terrible idea, but I can't see how it could work with the afforementioned "long-tail" releases like Wii Sports staying on top for months. By format would make more sense but then you get a slew of lesser charts rather than one over all winner - which would defeat the whole point.

I don't think it will happen as I feel the gaming industry is secretive about the numbers involved for a lot of reasons.

To put it bluntly, me and John Funk go back and forth periodically about how much developers make. They are given budgets of tens or even hundreds of millions of dollars to make a game. In comparison to that budget the amount of money needed for office space and equipment is minimal... a few million probably. This means that you have millions upon millions of dollars unaccounted for that disappear into human resources, yet everyone claims that the developers aren't making that much money.

If these numbers are ever revealed accuratly, I think a big part of the danger is that it's going to show how greedy this industry has actually gotten. The half a billion dollars it took to create and market "Modern Warfare 2" for example is pretty noteworthy because it's the biggest cash pile of it's kind in history. While "Modern Warfare 2" is definatly a nice looking game and everything, I don't think there are many people who believe that something like that, which isn't even all that innovative, should have cost that much money to produce. Consider what else you could do with half a billion dollars and it's pretty eye opening.

So yeah, as I pointed out just recently in another debate on the subject, experts marked the industry as having made anywhere from 19 to 50 billion dollars in 2009. The huge discrepnency is that the experts have very little in the way of reliable information because of the way the industry keeps everyone in the dark about this kind of stuff. I think there are reasons for it, and I don't think they are ever going to open their numbers of voluntarily.

I don't know why it hasn't been done already. If I want to see how a certain game is selling, I have to go to vgchartz, and their numbers typically aren't up to date or simply aren't accurate.

Stabby Joe:
Please... don't call Zynga a developer, at least not along with real game developers.

Wait whut? I myself don't like farmville, but you hafta admit, they put some work in their games. I used to not take popcap seriously until I played PvZ, but it was amazing. Don't judge a book by it's cover. The developer of a Social/Casual game, good or bad, puts just as much work as other games, they have been ripped on enough, acting like casual gamesare below you only makes you seem elitist, not "hardcore".

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here