New Mortal Kombat Might Have DLC Combat/Fatalities

New Mortal Kombat Might Have DLC Combat/Fatalities

Next year's Mortal Kombat is going to have some major online components, including the possibility for downloadable characters and combat styles.

We're still waiting to hear whether or not that crazy short movie will evolve into an actual (awesome) Mortal Kombat film, but more details keep coming out regarding the next game in the franchise. The game was on display at E3, and those who were lucky enough to spend some time with it stated that it seems like a solid rebirth for the franchise. One of the biggest strengths, according to the developers, is the game's online component.

Lead designer John Edwards spoke briefly with Gaming Union at E3, explaining how the game would make use of DLC. The site asked Edwards about a DLC icon on the character selection screen. Edwards' answer was simultaneously vague and ambitious.

"We're planning on having DLC for a lot of things," Edwards said. "Maybe new characters, new Fatalities, it's pretty much open for anything. We have support on the back end for backgrounds, new attacks, tweaks to fighting styles, all that."

Edwards also said that the game's online combat will be great. "We have a really robust online system," he stated. "I can't go into too many details but it's going to be pretty much the most robust online fighting game system ever imagined."

I'm not exactly a fan of possibly having to buy new Fatalities, attacks, or fighting styles. If NetherRealm Studios (the re-branded Mortal Kombat, previously of Midway Games) provides such updates for free, though, they could win a lot of approval. As of right now, Warner Bros. Interactive has yet to reveal its plans for incorporating DLC with the new Mortal Kombat title, though such information will likely be made available before the game ships next year.

Source: GamingUnion via Industry Gamers

That seems like a clever money making gimick. (Wonder how it will effect online play)

Well wouldn't this follow the same logic as The Sabateour (SP?) boobs DLC. Allowing them to give it a T rating then us mature gamers can download all the stuff to make it an M.

FINISH HIM!

Punch
Kick

Yeah, I can see how that might be slightly gamebreaking.

...Wasn't online play a big component of the last two mortal kombat games?

Only if they make sure that the DLC, would be for some of the hardcore-hard to defeat fighters, like Kentaro, Goro, the bosses of all types, and make sure they're still badass...not like some of them were badass, but still...

Nickel and diming in all forms, eh games industry? I swear, the invention of DLC has hurt the industry as much as help it.

... Thouse DLC thing tart to really get of hands now... As well sell the game half finished if you have to buy tons of characters and fighting style to get the full game

Oh FUCK. Another excuse for developers to half ass the content on the disc to sell the rest on DLC. I FUCKING LOVE DLC!...Ugh.

Would keep the fatalities intresting, thats for sure...offer some new ones every so often

Tarakos:
Nickel and diming in all forms, eh games industry? I swear, the invention of DLC has hurt the industry as much as help it.

Ha ha ha. They mean Fatalities and stuff developed AFTER it comes out. Seriously, stop being paranoid, it'll only get you sent to a padded cell.

Soooo...to get the good stuff in a fighting game...im going to have to buy it? WHAT THE F***...oh well i still wont mind, im the person who paid 2400 microsoft points to get all costumes on S.F.4

New Weapons: $5
New Armor: $5
New Moves: $10
New Fatalities: $10
New Characters: $10
New Stages: $15
Online Play: $5

Woah. They are actually going to make you pay for fighting styles now which SHOULD be in the game already?

Still, even if we get an amazing aray of kills/styles, I don't like this kind of DLC, always makes you feel ripped in some manner.

New attacks? Can't wait to see how that breaks the game.

Gotta love greedy companies.

HG131:

Tarakos:

Ha ha ha. They mean Fatalities and stuff developed AFTER it comes out. Seriously, stop being paranoid, it'll only get you sent to a padded cell.

Hey! Those padded cells are nice! And there are worse things to be sent to an asylum for. Like working at EA for too long.

Tarakos:

HG131:

Tarakos:

Hey! Those padded cells are nice! And there are worse things to be sent to an asylum for. Like working at EA for too long.

Can being too obsessed over a fictional character be one of those things?

I just want to play MK now. It looks like so much fun.

HG131:

Tarakos:

HG131:

Tarakos:

I'm not too sure what you mean. Did I give off the impression that I'm obsessed with a fictional character?

You know why I don't mind DLC. It keeps a game fresh, after they release it. Assuming it's good DLC, that is.

The_root_of_all_evil:

FINISH HIM!

Punch
Kick

Kick, Punch, It's all in the mind...

Tarakos:

HG131:

Tarakos:

HG131:

Tarakos:

I'm not too sure what you mean. Did I give off the impression that I'm obsessed with a fictional character?

No, I was asking for myself.

HG131:

Tarakos:

HG131:

Tarakos:

HG131:

Tarakos:

Oh, well, it all depends on who the character is and just how obsessed you are with said character. If you go to conventions in costume, then you might be obsessed. If when in a jam, you ask yourself, "What would [insert character name here] do?," you might be obsessed. I guess I could on and on emulating Jeff Foxworthy here, but the point has been made.

Tarakos:

HG131:

Tarakos:

HG131:

Tarakos:

HG131:

Tarakos:

Oh, well, it all depends on who the character is and just how obsessed you are with said character. If you go to conventions in costume, then you might be obsessed. If when in a jam, you ask yourself, "What would [insert character name here] do?," you might be obsessed. I guess I could on and on emulating Jeff Foxworthy here, but the point has been made.

I was thinking more a lust related obsessed.

HG131:

Tarakos:

HG131:

Tarakos:

HG131:

Tarakos:

HG131:

Tarakos:

Oh, Madison Page-style, huh? Yeah, that's probably not too healthy. What character are you so infatuated with? Or is this "for a friend"?

Tarakos:

HG131:

Tarakos:

HG131:

Tarakos:

HG131:

Tarakos:

HG131:

Tarakos:

Oh, Madison Page-style, huh? Yeah, that's probably not too healthy. What character are you so infatuated with? Or is this "for a friend"?

Anyone who reads lot of my posts knows it's Dawn Summers, River Tam, and Faith (and a bit of Illyria). Yeah, Joss sure can make good female characters.

HG131:

Tarakos:

HG131:

Tarakos:

HG131:

Tarakos:

HG131:

Tarakos:

HG131:

Tarakos:

Anyone who reads lot of my posts knows it's Dawn Summers, River Tam, and Faith (and a bit of Illyria). Yeah, Joss sure can make good female characters.

Well, I'm sure the Men in the White Coats aren't coming for you. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't be wary though. Trust no one! Especially not a man in a white coat. With a giant, comically over-sized syringe. Shifty folk they are.

Tarakos:

HG131:

Tarakos:

HG131:

Tarakos:

HG131:

Tarakos:

HG131:

Tarakos:

HG131:

Tarakos:

Well, I'm sure the Men in the White Coats aren't coming for you. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't be wary though. Trust no one! Especially not a man in a white coat. With a giant, comically over-sized syringe. Shifty folk they are.

Ahh. Well, white coats are like red eyes, take warning.

Nice.. so if MK wasn't already broken enough as a fighting game at this point, they've actually built into the game's infrastructure a way for some players to buy new moves and fighting styles that other players won't have.

(Once I'm done laughing at MK.. again) This does make me wonder how it will work on a technical level. Is every MK player going to have to download a patch every time they put new moves/styles/fatalities on the market just so they can see the stuff they other people have bought whether they have or haven't bought it themselves? Will all of this "new" DLC only content actually already be on the disc and will buying it just be a way to unlock something that's already there without forcing every player to patch?

Sir John The Net Knight:
You know why I don't mind DLC. It keeps a game fresh, after they release it. Assuming it's good DLC, that is.

The_root_of_all_evil:

FINISH HIM!

Punch
Kick

Kick, Punch, It's all in the mind...

Ahh, makes you want to find the nearest group of people and challenge them to a dance off. This guy didn't cause Master Onion to kick all the walls down though...

Oh crap, I digress. To hell with Midway/NetherRealm Studios, DLC is getting so out of hand it's a joke. Stop trying to squeeze every penny from your consumers, regardless of how easy it is.

Well that's quite a sad idea. Unless it's free then it's the greatest idea ever.

ChromeAlchemist:
Oh crap, I digress. To hell with Midway/NetherRealm Studios, DLC is getting so out of hand it's a joke. Stop trying to squeeze every penny from your consumers, regardless of how easy it is.

Who says it's easy? New content for a game isn't magically shat out of a leprechaun's ass. And I'm not believing the line that content is purposely cut from a release so that it can be sold as DLC.

People who whine about this just want free shit. Nothing's free, you know. It has to come from somewhere. All those programmers, coders, designers and testers have to eat and some would like to have roofs over their heads, I imagine.

Sir John The Net Knight:

ChromeAlchemist:

Who says it's easy? New content for a game isn't magically shat out of a leprechaun's ass. And I'm not believing the line that content is purposely cut from a release so that it can be sold as DLC.

People who whine about this just want free shit. Nothing's free, you know. It has to come from somewhere. All those programmers, coders, designers and testers have to eat and some would like to have roofs over their heads, I imagine.

Cause Im not gonna be spending 60$ on it to buy it eh?

Miumaru:

Sir John The Net Knight:

ChromeAlchemist:

Cause Im not gonna be spending 60$ on it to buy it eh?

Well, no one is twisting anyone's arm and forcing them to purchase DLC.

I haven't bought the map packs for MW2. I haven't bought the costumes for SFIV or SSFIV. But I am on board with MK dlc. Why? Cause A, new moves will change the way I play and B, new fatalities and chars? How awesome is that?

But all fanboy-ish stuff aside, if you do not want to buy DLC, do not buy it. Plain and simple. The controller is in your hands, not in the developers' hands. Pay for DLC only when you want. Not when someone ELSE thinks it's necessary. You remember Big Surf Island? For Burnout Paradise? You didn't have to buy that. And you didn't have to buy the cars either. But do you remember what you got for forking over 12 bucks? A new island, 8 new cars, new challenges, billboards etc. I think the amount of content they will release (based on their comments) will be worth a price tag.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here