Japan Lukewarm on 3D TVs

Pages PREV 1 2

Pipotchi:

soapyshooter:

Pipotchi:
I didnt pay £2000 for laser eye surgery so I could stick another pair of glasses on my face. No bloody chance Sony

Any side effects with that? I wanna get it but I'm a pussy about it. I keep imagining they'll screw up and I'll go blind.

OT: Well 3D without glasses on a big scale is impossible atm, soo I guess people can either wear them or not buy 3D tvs. Either way I hope the price goes down because 3D games with the PS3 are amazinggg!

Nah good as gold mate, blurry as hell for the rest of the day but 24 hours on 20/20 vision in each eye. Three months later my right eye has deterioated a little so I might have to go for a touch up in a couple of months but still well worth the money. I did it with optical express if that helps.

Oh yeah they sent me a bunch of vouchers for Money off for referals so if you do decide to go for it let me know and I will post you one, should save you a couple of hundred quid.

I live in the US so those wont help haha. But thanks anyway :D. I'll have to man up and get it done soon. I'm tired to glasses and contacts. So it doesn't stay 20/20 permanently? you have to go back to the ophthalmologist? or was that deterioration specific to you?

I'm Waiting for Holograms...

soapyshooter:

Pipotchi:

soapyshooter:

Pipotchi:
I didnt pay £2000 for laser eye surgery so I could stick another pair of glasses on my face. No bloody chance Sony

Any side effects with that? I wanna get it but I'm a pussy about it. I keep imagining they'll screw up and I'll go blind.

OT: Well 3D without glasses on a big scale is impossible atm, soo I guess people can either wear them or not buy 3D tvs. Either way I hope the price goes down because 3D games with the PS3 are amazinggg!

Nah good as gold mate, blurry as hell for the rest of the day but 24 hours on 20/20 vision in each eye. Three months later my right eye has deterioated a little so I might have to go for a touch up in a couple of months but still well worth the money. I did it with optical express if that helps.

Oh yeah they sent me a bunch of vouchers for Money off for referals so if you do decide to go for it let me know and I will post you one, should save you a couple of hundred quid.

I live in the US so those wont help haha. But thanks anyway :D. I'll have to man up and get it done soon. I'm tired to glasses and contacts. So it doesn't stay 20/20 permanently? you have to go back to the ophthalmologist? or was that deterioration specific to you?

Nah Specific to me, just one of those things as they never know how your eyes are going to heal. I was Minus 6 in each Eye so pretty blind but now one eye is perfect and one eye is minus 0.5. However it should be easy to fix that one again (for free) in about a month or two but they need to let it finish healing as it might get better on its own.

Ideally it should stay perfect from now until about 40 or so as thats when your eyes start to go downhill just with age, reading glasses and the like

tkioz:
What percentage of the population wear glasses? Real ones not 3D ones mind. Real glasses. I'm near-sighted (I think, I get the two mixed up, the one where I can see fine up close, but a meter or two away things get progressively fuzzier) so I need glasses to watch even a big screen TV or movie screen with any clarity, and my glasses a light, and fine, and I can wear them for hours without being bothered...

However when I get stuck with 3D I need to add a second pair of glasses over my existing ones in order to see what is going on, after maybe 30mins of that while watching Avatar my ears and nose were hurting, my eyes were watering, and I was developing a monster migraine.

So when people say they don't want to wear 3D glasses maybe people like Sony's head moron should take into account that some of them at least already wear glasses and really really don't want another set ontop.

Bravo sir!!!

Simalacrum:
The only real problem I have with 3D-tv's is the price - I have nothing against the concept, and it seems like a much bigger leap forward compared to SD -> HD (which you can barely recognise, frankly), and I don't really mind wearing the glasses... except that I already wear glasses. If they designed them so that you can wear them over your own glasses comfortably, then I'd have no problem with wearing the things.

Yes I don't understand why this is such a hard concept for them to grasp. Tons of people wear glasses to see. So why isn't there a clip or even a dorky old people glasses that fit over normal glasses. I think Sony should have invested in Laser Eye Surgery technology first. Free Lasik for you and your family with every 3D TV purchase.

Holy shit. I actually agree with 70% for the Japanese on something.

Also:

SCEA Senior Vice President of Product Development Shuhei Yoshida stuck to his guns and defended his company's technology, saying, "with the latest technology, the glasses are light and you kind of forget you're wearing them after a while."

You know what else you forget? Where you put the goddamned glasses so you can't use the stupid thing anyway.

Pipotchi:
Super Snip

Thanks for all the info, really appreciate it :D. I need to start searching for good doctors.

I'm not interested in 3D either, maybe one day if it becomes the standard and doesn't cost extra I might. But currently it seems like a waste.

WOW! Who would have predicted that a country at the height of a 5 year "BUY HI VISION TVS NOW!" marketing campaign, would NOT want to shell out for new TVs. Sony really need to get a clue about what the consumers want. Enough of them were upset when the 'analog hole' was closed, despite many having bought analog HDTVs months earlier. Now, the entire TV must be replaced - no converter or firmware hack can help now.

Looking around my local stores in Japan, Sharps new LED TVs have incredibly picture clarity. I would buy that over a 3D Sony or Panasonic, Besides, I hate seeing the damn refresh all the time when viewing 3D.

I've been watching television for 22 years of my life. Never has the thought of 3D-TV come to mind. All I can say is good luck making back the money wasted on a pointless piece of tech.

HD is just now taking hold, guys. Enjoy your obscene profits for a while before you start trying to make everyone pay a premium to be an early adapter again.

Orcus_35:

Well, I have to admit to being glad. Why? Read on...

vansau:

SCEA Senior Vice President of Product Development Shuhei Yoshida stuck to his guns and defended his company's technology, saying, "with the latest technology, the glasses are light and you kind of forget you're wearing them after a while."

Unless, of course, YOU ALREADY WEAR GLASSES YOU BURKE! How the hell am I meant to wear two sets of glasses when watching TV? My vision got blurry about 2 feet away from me without my glasses.

Rigs83:

Orcus_35:

I'll be delighted when holograms are used in TV - because then at least I won't be excluded from seeing them. Also, holograms are actually pretty cool.

Thank flying fuck, I hate wearing glasses when watching a 3D film and for once the consumers have shown they won't buy a technology that is so badly made

Nintendo none 3D glasses ftw

Personally I think 3D is pointless. The human brain already translates a 2D image into a three dimensional concept. Look at something as simple as a photo, can you distinguish the background from the foreground?

I'm lukewarm to the idea myself, I mean I just upgraded to Blu-Ray and bought my first HD TV. I don't want to "upgrade" technology again so soon, especially given the price.

Not to mention the recurring point of having to wear glasses, I wear glasses normally (hey I'm a nerd) and hate wearing another pair over them to begin with.

3D is neat and all, but I don't think it's so unbeliably awesome that I want to sink another few thousand dollars into it.

Sony is of course excited because as an electronics manufacturer it makes TVs and such, and as more people upgrade their systems there are less sales for them to tap, and they gradually have to lower the prices to get to the remaining market. A new gimmick that actually goes mainstream like this could basically allow them anothr "boom time" right on the heels of the last one.

While Sony runs Playstation, I think people here sometimes forget that Sony is not a one trick pony. It's a monolithic mega-corp, and arguably the inspiration for some of those "Japanacorps" in old school dystopian science fiction. Nobody knows how big Sony actually is, but their big thing has always been hardware like TVs, Rice Cookers, and video machines. They have also broadened into things like running their own movie and music studios. The thing is they own so many companies that it's hard to tell at times if your actually dealing with Sony in the final equasion.

SomeUnregPunk:

Donnyp:
I want a Projector. Like 126 inch Screen. That'd be Funtastic.

http://www.projectorreviews.com/

it gives you an idea on how much money you need. If you are going to buy a projector then buy the latest one because in most cases the image is clearer at bigger screen sizes. Projector is the cheaper and more portable choice. Except you need speakers in some cases.

So I have to shell out 2 to 4 grand for a 3D tv that requires you to wear glasses or I could shell out $300 to $1000 for a projector.

Plus with a Projector you can have movie nights without having to shell out 400 for more glasses. AND i already got the speakers covered.

I tried the 3D mode on Batman Arkham Assylum: GOTYE on PS3, but it just didn't feel like it was working. Sony had better make sure that their 3DTV is up to scratch.

Lord Mountbatten Reborn:
Quite right Japan. Quite right.

Call me a Luddite, but I think the idea of 3D TVs is shite. What the hell is up with this sudden obsession with 3D?

because avatar did really well in 3d so naturally sony wants to capitalize on that altho they dont have the right tech for it, nintendo on the other hand seems to have a good grasp of how to get 3d out there

Drop this fad Sony, no one wants this. It's too expensive and the glasses are annoying and hurt after a while.

I could have told Sony this without asking Japan. :P

squid5580:
*snip*
Tons of people wear glasses to see. So why isn't there a clip or even a dorky old people glasses that fit over normal glasses. I think Sony should have invested in Laser Eye Surgery technology first. Free Lasik for you and your family with every 3D TV purchase.

Now that would get me to buy a 3D TV in a snap!

Ungrateful swine! Don't you realize the companies are supposed to tell you what you want, while your role is to bleat and passively consume?

They ever solve the problem of motion breaking?

Personally I have no vested interest in it. I haven't even made the jump to HD.

Thank god, those glasses are stupid anyways. A lot of people I know have barely made the transition to HDTV I doubt 3DTV will be the norm anytime soon.

FargoDog:
Well, that's an even bigger incentive to move to Japan. 3D doesn't go well with my head, at all.

Second. I've tried some 3D demos at Best Buy and Sears and what-not and each time I try I get a strange sense of motion sickness. Not severe just annoying. Wake me up when we achieve Holoshed technology

People might be more excited by 3D once the 3DS is out and people can see how 3D works without needing glasses. Maybe.

Can't say I really get the big companies fascination with it atm.

Unless it's using Parallax Barrier technology like the 3DS does I think it's dumb. Companies should be building off that technology since that's easier for the consumer. Who wants to sit at home wearing 3d glasses? Bah!

I don't have an HD tv yet, so 3D is out of reach for me.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here