Pentagon Enlists Batman and Robin to Conquer Biology

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Pentagon Enlists Batman and Robin to Conquer Biology

The Pentagon's mad-science branch DARPA has two new projects under way with the best acronyms ever. Seriously.

If you've ever played the Metal Gear Solid games, you know that superscience organization DARPA helped develop much of the series' technology. Well, DARPA (Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency) is an actual branch of the U.S. military, and while it doesn't actually make walking bipedal nuclear-capable tanks (we think ...), it is well-known for being up to its neck in some crazy stuff.

It should come as little surprise, then, that two of DARPA's newest projects are Batman and Robin. No, seriously - those are the acronyms of a pair of projects aimed at helping the agency understand the fundamental building blocks of life, the universe, and everything.

BaTMAN, or "Biochronicity and Temporal Mechanisms Arising in Nature," seeks to enlighten us further on the "the spatio-temporal universe" with the end goal "to transform biology from a descriptive to a predictive field of science."

But naturally, BaTMAN needs a sidekick - which is why DARPA has also laid the ground work for RoBIN, or "Robustness of Biologically-Inspired Networks." RoBIN aims to apply "biological design principles" such as collective behavior and complex, biological networks to human interaction - to create a huge, "dynamic biologically-inspired network of scientists and other experts for crisis response."

So, why name the two projects after Gotham City's Dynamic Duo? Because it sounds cool, essentially - remember, DARPA is the same group that gave us projects with acronyms like RESURRECT, NIRVANA and DUDE. So there's probably some guy on the payroll whose job it is to come up with nifty-sounding acronyms.

And despite these new superhero acronyms, this man is obviously a supervillain. Anyone who comes up with projects named RESURRECT and NIRVANA has to be evil.

(Wired Danger Room)

Holy misused acronyms BaTMAN!

DARPA is cool, but it's not as scary as DEFRA.

(which is worrying given what DEFRA really is)

Nice to see mysterious government research organisations have a sense of humour.

Holy God-playing, BaTMAN!

Seriously, if you parse that technobabble, these folks are trying to predict evolutionary alterations and use naturally occurring systems in sociological manipulation. Does it get much more creepy-cool than that?

This is too awesome.

Also, if anyone here knows, may I ask where the "Holy ____ Batman!" meme comes from? :-/

Sinclose:
This is too awesome.

Also, if anyone here knows, may I ask where the "Holy ____ Batman!" meme comes from? :-/

From Batman itself - specifically the 60s television program the image in the article is from. Along with cuts to graphics saying "Bam!" or "Pow!" and bat shark repellent, it provided us with the "Holy [something] Batman!" meme, as that phrase was something Robin said constantly - it's pretty much his catchphrase.

That whole show was a meme breeding ground, it's so terribly campy that it loops around and becomes awesome. The internet couldn't make something that ridiculous up, it can only ensure we never forget about it, heh.

Gildan Bladeborn:

Sinclose:
This is too awesome.

From Batman - specifically the 60s television program the image in the article is from.

Thanks a lot! :-)

I'd been trying to search for its origins for a while, to no avail. Thanks for clearing that up!

American tax dollars at work: thinking up stupid acronyms instead of doing anything.

I didn't think those scientists had the guts to assign acronyms like this. It could translate into giant 'don't-take-us-seriously' signs for all the geriatric investors.

Still...props for guts, I'll give em that. :)

Asehujiko:
American tax dollars at work: thinking up stupid acronyms instead of doing anything.

John Funk:
BaTMAN, or "Biochronicity and Temporal Mechanisms Arising in Nature," seeks to enlighten us further on the "the spatio-temporal universe" with the end goal "to transform biology from a descriptive to a predictive field of science."

But naturally, BaTMAN needs a sidekick - which is why DARPA has also laid the ground work for RoBIN, or "Robustness of Biologically-Inspired Networks." RoBIN aims to apply "biological design principles" such as collective behavior and complex, biological networks to human interaction - to create a huge, "dynamic biologically-inspired network of scientists and other experts for crisis response."

I think you missed all the words past BaTMAN and RoBIN. Reposted for your convenience.

DARPA get's its project names from a 3rd party organization

QUESTION

Questionable Use of Extremely Silly Titles In Official Names

Well, someones got a sense of humour at least I suppose XD

Also, Nice MGS Ref XD

Resurrect Nirvana?

Zombie Kurt Cobain?

Is there going to be a Bat-toosie Friday? How about a Casual Capes Monday?

As awesome as that is - and that is damn awesome - I'm still surprised they ever had DUDE.

Loonerinoes:
I didn't think those scientists had the guts to assign acronyms like this. It could translate into giant 'don't-take-us-seriously' signs for all the geriatric investors.

Still...props for guts, I'll give em that. :)

Scientists no guts for silly acronyms? Man, they gave us the Sonic Hedgehog gene. Remember, scientists are all big nerds. That's why you get all these genes referencing Star Trek, Tolkien, Superman and whatnot.

Oh goverment, you silly man.

So I can figure what it would do, but what would CAPTAIN AMERICA stand for?

Well it does make them sound less evil... (im joking)

Still it is nice that they some sense of humor.

Next up is Project JoKER - Jumps of King Edward's Records

Or Project BANE - Batman Anthology No-one Expects

Or Project RiDDLER... Yeah, I'm done.

Okay, okay, okay, I know I say this a lot, but this is the best headline ever.

I wish I worked at the acronym department.

spectrenihlus:
I wish I worked at the acronym department.

I thought of that myself, and I hope they have applications, but then I realized that the application would go like this (Just note the acronyms are complete fiction.):

*Makes a call to the department's line*
You: Yes, I would like to work at the DARPA Acronym Department. How can I sign up?
Acronym Department Employee: Oh, it's quite easy. You just head to NWH.St in WS of AZ, and when you reach the ML of the E&RB you ask for JD, our DoDARPAAD..
You: Hmm. Ok, uhh.. Thank you.
*Hangs up*
You: I should have expected that.

HK_01:
Nice to see mysterious government research organisations have a sense of humour.

I fully agree.

Its all good and well designing various doomsday devices, But by Christ you gotta name em something ironic.

Me55enger:

HK_01:

I fully agree.

Its all good and well designing various doomsday devices, But by Christ you gotta name em something ironic.

Here we are working on project CuddLe (Carcinogen unleashing deployment device for Large effect).

HK_01:

Basically this.

whoever came up with those acronyms must be a real joker.

These guys are actually getting payed to fuck around like this? Gotta love that job.

Sinclose:
This is too awesome.

Just watch this, and it should answer any questions you have about Batman from the 60s.

As for the story, whoever keeps making these acronyms is simply awesome.

Yeah, well the moment that the government announces project NERV or VAULT I'm outta here.

The voice code to access the secret research room (nicknamed; The Batcave) is; Nun Na Nun Na Nun Na Nun Na Batman!

HK_01:

^This. Totally agree.

[quote="Earthbound" post="7.208507.7061133"I think you missed all the words past BaTMAN and RoBIN. Reposted for your convenience.[/quote]
Having an incredibly vague goal statement =/= working on something.

Hurrah! Weaponizing plants brings us one step closer to defeating the ever present undead menace!

These guys are such jokers.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.