The iPad Can Do Real Street Magic, Too!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

The iPad Can Do Real Street Magic, Too!

As it turns out, Steve Jobs' promise that the iPad would be "magical" wasn't that far from the truth after all.

When Steve Jobs unveiled the iPad tablet, techies worldwide shrugged their shoulders with a collective "meh." Jobs' claims that the iPad was a "magical device" seemed far-fetched even from the outspoken Apple leader, and while the device sold well and legitimately earned its stripes, it hadn't done anything to really earn that "magical" moniker. Was it convenient? Sure, but not magical.

Until now. The above video, posted by YouTube user SalaryMagician, shows a Japanese street magician by the name of Şhinya performing with his iPad outside of the well-trafficked Apple store in Ginza, Tokyo. It's some pretty cool stuff, to be honest, and it shows how well a portable and yet reasonably powerful media device like the iPad can be utilized in performance art.

Even if all that's going on is that the iPad is just displaying a pre-rendered video (and Şhinya's timing is expertly rehearsed), it's still cool. Maybe one might even call it ... "magical," perhaps?

(Geek.com)

The last bit where he turned into a different guy blew my mind...

Now that was pretty kick-ass. I still wouldn't think of dropping cash for the damn thing, but that was still cool.

Very intense. Possibly subtle taps with the hand he was holding the Ipad with?

If it wasn't for all the street noise, that could have been the perfect advertisement for the iPad.

Woah.That was incredible. TEACH ME O GREAT ONE

Apple needs to hire him for the next ad campaign.

The iPad may be "magically" overpriced, but this was a very nice performance nevertheless.

Wow that makes me want a Mac product far more than any douche bag spokesman Mac throws up on the T.V.

Yeah his timing fell a bit behind at the cheese. But still, crazy good.

Though I did spend the majority of the video watching the lost backpacker behind him. Something about him amused me.

"No, I'm lost in Tokyo! Yeah there's some dude who's a witch or something, how do I get to the sushi place?"

WrongSprite:

Why? They just paused and unpaused the camera, you can see the cut.

jedstopher:

WrongSprite:

QFT.

Still, it's nice watching this. They are after all aiming to dazzle and baffle you into submission.

I R Impress D:

See all you guys, there's no need for Science when you've got Magic!

The part with the glasses was very impressive, even though he probably just had someone behind him putting the glasses on.

The switch with the other guy was cool. I liked that.

I will now start to worshiping the iPad for the true god it is. Now I will go out and kill to a please my mighty god.

Am I the only one who didn't think this was that impressive? I've seen much better street shows (though I like to attend busker festivals).

Thats...pretty impressive. I like it. Goes to prove, tech has its place XD

jedstopher:

WrongSprite:

Because I enjoyed it, and I didn't notice it because I wasn't poking holes in it. It's a magicians act, not rocket science.

This video might have just re-kindled my childhood love of magic. they should make this into an ad campaign.

And would people stop saying "you can see the cut" or "there was probably a guy behind him" you party poopers! :(

I liked it, that was a damned good performance. Apple seriously needs to hire him for the next Mac thing.

Holy crap you guys, this shit isn't even performance art. I could take this as a well times piece of performance art right up to the man switch. Then it proved itself to be a staged video. In a open street, the switch would have been unmistakable, unless you were alone and the iPad magic show was given to you alone. Then he could have pressed the iPad to your face close enough to distract you. Looks to me like Apple just hired this guy to do a viral. And a pretty sad one at that.

NEAT! I was like "OMG A BIRD" it was so neato!

yoyo13rom:
See all you guys, there's no need for Science when you've got Magic!

If only, my friend. If only.

lol. Still doesn't convince me to buy anything that has I in front of it lol. NIfty though. I liked how if you wear headphones or have ears you can actually hear his voice move to the side while the other guy comes in and bends the fork lol.

Fucking ipads how do they work?

on a side note it's pretty cool he definitely spent some time practicing I'm wondering about the bird one

Right. I got every trick but the one where he turns into the other guy.

This is gonna keep me awake for days.

Pretty cool, but not enough for me to want to buy that overpriced toy.

AC10:
Am I the only one who didn't think this was that impressive? I've seen much better street shows (though I like to attend busker festivals).

I'll second this. It wasn't that he was bad at the tricks, in fact he was quite good at them. However, magic performances are about more than just sleight of hand. Almost every trick he used was based on the fact that you can't see behind the iPad, and they ultimately seemed very unoriginal. The video itself was not a waste of two minutes, in fact I kind of enjoyed it, but is not something I would share.

Rakkana:
Right. I got every trick but the one where he turns into the other guy.

This is gonna keep me awake for days.

Ok, well I'll help you get some sleep, the main guy in the video did not hold up the iPad, it was the guy he turned into. You'll notice he makes a point to get the iPad offscreen before he does the trick.

Tried to edit, accidentally quoted myself, see above.

jedstopher:

WrongSprite:

Yeah, it's a good cut, but you can see the hands change.

I wonder why they cut it, wouldn't changing the iPad on the fly be possible (though hard)?

But still, a cool video.

That was fun. Good going. Didn't look like much of a crowd though.

Pretty awesome.

japan i love you, except the porta pussies, thats just strange
as my ict teacher says
"Time for some IT magic"

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist: