Red vs. Blue Welcomes Halo: Reach Back to Blood Gulch

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Red vs. Blue Welcomes Halo: Reach Back to Blood Gulch

Halo: Reach will see players returning to a hugely-expanded version of Halo's iconic Blood Gulch map for multiplayer, and the cast of Red vs. Blue is coming along for the ride.

Everybody had their favorite multiplayer maps in the Halo series, but without a doubt the most iconic of them was Halo's Blood Gulch. Not only was Blood Gulch huge and perfectly suited for CTF, it was also one of the only maps that showed off all of Halo's various combat vehicles - which, you may remember, were a pretty big deal at the time.

It was also notable as the setting of Rooster Teeth's popular Red vs. Blue machinima series, which makes this particular announcement especially effective: As Halo: Reach concludes Bungie's tenure on the Halo franchise by going back to the series' origins, the Red vs. Blue cast is inviting everybody to return to the "new" Blood Gulch.

And when I say "new," I mean "new, and much, much bigger." Not only will the Reach Blood Gulch preserve the canyon battleground as most people remember it down to the details, but the map has been expanded to include the area outside of the canyon. Which means that this is likely going to be one of the most popular maps - if not the most popular - for large-scale multiplayer mayhem.

Honestly, I'm excited. Not only do I love RvB, but I have some very fond memories of 4-player Blood Gulch splitscreen in the original Halo. Good times, good times.

Happy Bungie Day, everyone.

(Thanks, Alai!)

Very nice, getting more excited for reach every day :)

Anyone have a map/image of this new, erm, map?

I still remember.

Halo: CE. Using the sniper and the pistol. With some mods, you had more vehicles. Bunches of fun, never got bored!

That looks very cool. Also like the new hologram and warthog models.

Cool, very cool.

Although I would like a 'Blood Gulch Classic' to appear too. The way the terrain (rather than placed items like rocks) provided cover and limit firing lines was great, very good design.

Shame so few of the other Halo CE maps had it, but there you go.

Happy about it.

Also, you reporting it's Bungie day today? Hmmmm?

On the Halo forums there is shouting all over the place this is the only thing we got, though, I'm rather pleased by it.

Still, Gamestop announced an exclusive piece of armour in Reach, which did dampen my mood a bit.

It is... beautiful.

Happy 7/7 Day indeed.

The Multiplayer LAN in Halo: PC. The only map we wanted to play was Blood Gulch, great vehicle map, so open and tranquil. Man just thinking about that one map is enough to make me want to play Halo, and I hated the campaign with a passion!

Calumon: I can't imagine with that name many people wanna visit.

Wow. This rekindled whatever feelings I have left for this franchise.

The bit with eagle had me in stitches.

Ooh, looks fancy, and big.

Cannae wait to jump a Warthog off the cliff, and onto my teammates the enemy!

Okay okay, I do mean my teammates, but only the ones I know.

I'm looking foward to some nice big tank battles on that map. Hopefully there will be enough vehicles so no one has to walk.

Yay ressurection of my favorite machinima series \o/
or is it not?

I'm now even more excited about Reach. This is going to be the best Halo ever!

Oh, and I loved that pilot's responses in the vid.

Blood Gulch is BACK?!

Ok, I hated the actual Halo game, but I was PISSED when 3 didn't have Blood Gulch.

But it Isn't red anymore! Damn it Simmons, you left the sprinklers on so long, it washed away the color on the rocks!

Ah, I have such great memories of 16 player LAN battles there in the first game (the advantage of living in a dorm). I was so pissed when they removed the map from Halo 3, but I'm glad to see its back.

I hate to be "that guy", but...

One of the issues I had with reach where the maps were FAR too big.

Now, I love Blood Gulch; I still play Halo PC. But honestly, the original was big enough. The remake was fairly decent too. Why do they need to make the map freakin huge?

ALSO; I hope the Armor Ability Hologram is just a joke...

Seriously.

Wewt! Glad to see they are doing something with it XD <3 Sarge

Kiithid:
Yay ressurection of my favorite machinima series \o/
or is it not?

wait what? RvB is still ongoing its on its like... 8th season? Unless you were talking about another machinima.

It's great to see the RvB guys home, the series has been good since they left, but it will always be better in Blood Gulch.

Blood Gulch was a fantastic map. Great memories of playing the PC version of Halo: Combat Evolved over a LAN with friends. That's right: I liked the PC version. In fact, I liked it more than the console version.

I have to say, though, it looks like Reach is looking like the Star Wars prequels, in that the technology of the past looks a hell of a lot more advanced than the technology of the future. I know Master Chief was the last SPARTAN (or not, if you count the Expanded Universe), but can someone explain how he has none of the features that these past SPARTANS do? Granted, Reach takes place very shortly before the first game, but it still seems a little odd.

Okay, now I'm actually interested in getting Reach, Blood Gulch was my favorite map in the first game.

I really wanna play it now.

Damn it RoosterTeeth, you know just how to make me want to purchase games! I bought Fifa World Cup because of you guys!

Uber Waddles:

Now, I love Blood Gulch; I still play Halo PC. But honestly, the original was big enough. The remake was fairly decent too. Why do they need to make the map freakin huge?

Seriously.

1. Why are you talking about Reach as if it's already out?
2. What's so bad about the Hologram thing?

Wow... you know, I really haven't cared about Halo at all since Halo 2, but this game could be really good... Blood Gulch was always my favorite map.

To be frank, I'll argue that Facing Worlds from Unreal Tournament and the hundreds of its remakes and homages over the years is more iconic, but each to their own.

ummm... Not to be a party pooper or anything, but does anyone but me think that the graphics look incredibly ugly?

I mean, add a few more chest-high walls and I'd swear we were looking at Gear of War.

Fantastic! Not sure whether to get Halo REACH, though. That hologram thing looks awful.

If I'm seeing what I think I'm seeing than the new Blood Gulch looks fucking MASSIVE!

Can we go up the hill and and to that structure next to the cliff because that looks really awesome? I'm guessing that you can fuck around with it in forge, put spawners outside the canyon and what not to seal parts off and have a lot of smaller maps in one big one.

It looks awesome!!! It brings back many fond memories of 4 player split screen matches.

Damn it... Sell my 360 and embrace the PS3... or keep it and embrace Halo Reach and Gears of War 3... it would be way cheaper than starting anew with another console...

Frozen Donkey Wheel2:

Uber Waddles:

Seriously.

1. Why are you talking about Reach as if it's already out?
2. What's so bad about the Hologram thing?

1. I played the Beta while it was available. I talked about the beta with people. One common complaint I heard about the Beta was the mapsize; even the 'smaller' maps were freakin huge...

Considering that a big appeal of Halo is Team Deathmatch, which is 4v4, having maps that are as large as they were meant:

A. It was hard to find people, which lead to boring gameplay.
B. People would trade out their Armor Abilities for the JetPack, essentially saying "fuck you!" to the other abilities

I dunno what their obsession is with big maps, but seriously. So far the only maps they released info on have been: Big maps. And the fact that there doing that to BG... =\

2. Whats so bad about it? It would be annoying as hell. You KNOW people will play this game in Xbox Live Parties. Ever run into a group of people who like to troll your team and annoy you? I certainly have; I can just see "abuse" written all over it.

Oh, man. How long has it been since I last watched RvB? Must have been at least a year, year and a half. Is it still going? Amazing. I should go catch up. I loved that show.

What does it say about me when I say that I have never been a fan of Halo yet even I am happy Blood Gulch is returning?

Delusibeta:
To be frank, I'll argue that Facing Worlds from Unreal Tournament and the hundreds of its remakes and homages over the years is more iconic, but each to their own.

Yes, but I was talking about iconic HALO maps :P

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or