DJ Hero Defies "Flop" Label, Sells a Million

Pages 1 2 NEXT

DJ Hero Defies "Flop" Label, Sells a Million

Predictions that DJ Hero would be a slow burner have proven to be accurate, as Activision's Dan Amrich announces some very respectable sales figures.

Sometimes, things aren't what they appear at first glance. A humble truck turns out to be a noble alien robot, a blue box is really a time machine, and a "flop" music game turns out to be not such a flop after all.

Before DJ Hero's release, RedOctane co-founder Kai Huang said that Activision wasn't expecting the game to be an immediate best seller: "We're not expecting a typical videogame curve," he said. "We're expecting this to be the type of game that may come out of the gate a little bit slower, but continue to grow over time."

The "slower" part seemed a little too accurate when it was revealed that the game had only sold 122,300 units across four platforms in October, but writing on his blog, Activision's social media manager Dan Amrich said that DJ Hero had been unfairly written off: "DJ Hero was dubbed a flop on its release ... but what it needed was time for its audience to find it, a price break, and positive word from both friends and reviews to circulate. October and November were soft, but after the holiday, DJ Hero had hit about 800,000 units; today it's 1.2 million units and counting, all of which come with a turntable controller. That's not a flop; that's the long tail at work."

Amrich also makes the point that not every game is going to sell a million copies in its first week, and to expect them to do so is "pretty ridiculous." It's true that that initial period right after release is important, but as DJ Hero shows, it's not necessarily the most important time.

A sequel to DJ Hero, titled DJ Hero 2 is due to be released this fall.

Source: Ars Technica

I'm happy for it. Guitar hero's getting played out, and DJ Hero's music is concentrated delicious for my ears.

Good. I'm happy to see something defy the conventional selling strategy.
The game isn't too bad, either. A little weird once you start, but it becomes quite fun.

I don't know what all the hate for DJ Hero was all about, i found it quite fun (although my brother paid for it) also it had Daft Punk in it!!

I have absolutely no interest in the game itself, but news like this is good, if only as ammunition to use when people cast titles with slow initial sales as flops - it astounds me sometimes when I see games that have barely even been out for a month labeled as abject failures.

The 2 DLC packs are, quite frankly, amazing. "Poker Face/Girls On Film" is actually a full third more awesome than I thought it would be, and I thought it would be pretty awesome.

They also seem to be taking the cool route and not putting one more feature on the DJH2 turntable, so the plastic lock-in isn't mandatory for the second play-list.

DJ Hero is actually a lot of fun. I'm pleasantly surprised to hear this.

Ranooth:
I don't know what all the hate for DJ Hero was all about, i found it quite fun (although my brother paid for it) also it had Daft Punk in it!!

Everyone who hates on it has never taken the time out to play it. Honestly, I was skeptical at first once I heard they were making a DJ Hero. I didn't have high hopes for it. But then I tried it out and ended up buying it and I love it. It's tons of fun and it resparked my intrest for music games.

I was exactly the same, i laughed when my brother told me on the phone that he bought it. But once i started playing it i couldn't stop, played more then he did :D

ProfessorLayton:

Ranooth:

Everyone who hates on it has never taken the time out to play it. Honestly, I was skeptical at first once I heard they were making a DJ Hero. I didn't have high hopes for it. But then I tried it out and ended up buying it and I love it. It's tons of fun and it resparked my intrest for music games.

That's basically how I was. But once you play it, you realize there's more to it than Guitar Hero or Rock Band. I'm very excited about DJ Hero 2 and it's soundtrack. The soundtrack made the first game for me.

I would have bought it on release.But it wasn't available and I din't have the money to import it.Now it is available.But I'm saving up for something special.

DJ hero is Fun, I have it on the PS3. I am glad that it reached a million units sold. I hope DJ Hero 2 is just as fun.

The fact that this DIDN'T flop is a sign to me that humanity is sliding down into an uncomfortable state, in my mind...

Only took em forever to get there...well, I suppose defied the ods, as such

I don't even care if it's published by Activision. This was an incredibly well-made game. The mixes are among the best I've ever heard, the gameplay feels completely original and unique, and the presentation is outstanding. I'm glad it sold well.

In my experience, this is one of the few real instances where most people who bash a game have never actually played it.

Well, congratulations to him, but I am still not sold on a DJ game!

While I own and love DJ Hero, I think this article is a bit misleading. Sure the game has sold over 1 million, but Activision has constantly had to lower the price of the game to move units. Well less than a year after its release, and you can find the game complete with turntable for alot less than half of what it cost originally. I have seen it advertised on the internet for as little as $40.
Again, great game.
But had Activision not cut the price so dramatically, there would be a crap ton of DJ Hero games buried out there next to all those Atari 2600 ET cartridges.

And now the question remains...do people learn from history?
When DJ Hero 2 is released, do people rush out to buy it, paying that crazy price?
Or do they wait a few months and get it for half the price?

Good news, DJ Hero gets a lot of bad rap (pun intended) for no reason.

Kenjitsuka:
The fact that this DIDN'T flop is a sign to me that humanity is sliding down into an uncomfortable state, in my mind...

I'm betting you never actually took the time to play it, did you? My first thought when I heard about DJ hero was in a similar vein of "what could they possibly be thinking." But if you'll look over the comments here, most of them are overwhelmingly positive. DJ Hero was a hell of a lot of fun. I'm glad to hear that it's become a successful brand, I was overjoyed when I heard they were making a second, and I hope it keeps going strong.

I just hope they put a custom character creator into the second. That was the one thing that really bugged me about DJ Hero was that I didn't like most of the characters (exception made for Daft Punk (cause they're all cool and roboty) and DJ Shadow wasn't too bad either. Still, considering that all the Guitar Hero games now have a custom character creator, I guess I took it for granted that one would show up in DJ Hero. I was, of course, proved wrong.

I'm not sure about other countries, but here in New Zealand its less than half the price it was at release. The only reason it would have sold well here is if it was priced at what it was actually valued at (No, 200 dollars is not reasonable. 100 is.)

John Funk:

Indeed. I laughed at the people I knew that bought it - "You look so silly with that controller! You're not a real DJ!"

Then someone left it up here in the shop and uh... well... I had to try it out. I became addicted to it, and then when the first achievement popped up I thought to myself, "Dammit! Now people are going to know I've been playing this thing! Oh well."

John Funk:

DJ Hero being fun was never the problem. The reviews were consistant in saying that it was a game that was both fun and innovative while providing the tunes that it's target audience would enjoy.

The problem was really bad timing and pricing. It came out essentially the derth of the economic/jobs crisis and almost no one was willing to risk buying a $100-120 game that may not get more than a little DLC and maybe one sequel. This drove post-holiday price-cutting and subsequent price-cutting to the point that I can literally get up, drive five minutes, and buy it for a cool $40, controller and all. The price-drop has been key to recent sales, which will likely help push DJ Hero 2 out the door a little faster than it's anemic predessesor.

DarkRyter:
I'm happy for it. Guitar hero's getting played out, and DJ Hero's music is concentrated delicious for my ears.

This.

I really liked DJ Hero, the music was super duper.

This would be more impressive if I hadn't seen the renegade edition of DJH on sale for $100AUD and the normal edition for $50AUD in the end of financial year sales down from $299 and $149 respectively.

Coming soon: Tony Hawk's Ride drops from $179 to $20, sells out everywhere.

Heh. My problem with the game was never about whether or not it was fun (I thought it was at least entertaining), it was that the controller was kinda flimsy. I broke mine twice and had to jury-rig it. It's very ghetto-looking now: almost like a turntable up on cinderblocks...

As someone who plays games based on his desire to have fun, I have to say I'm quite pleased this proved all the blind Activision haters wrong with great gusto.

I look forward to the next one.

I've never played it and am suitably sceptical.
I haven't even tried guitar hero so the chances of trying this are kinda low.

I played a Best Buy demo, and thought it was pretty fun. I'd buy it if I had a console.

So now that it has apparently enjoyed a decent level of success, Activision will probably beat it into the ground with yearly sequels and rapper/DJ specific spin-off editions.

That is interesting, perhaps I will buy one on the cheap in this case.

It's nice to see the sell curve though, this was a game that needed to realize it was too expensive, and it did.

DarthCheney:
So now that it has apparently enjoyed a decent level of success, Activision will probably beat it into the ground with yearly sequels and rapper/DJ specific spin-off editions.

Lets just enjoy the series before it get's to that lol

Omegatronacles:
Coming soon: Tony Hawk's Ride drops from $179 to $20, sells out everywhere.

Ah, ninja'd before I even got a chance to post. I like the game, but there was no way I was going to drop $120+ on a single game. After some price gouging though, it's definitely worth it. Still, to be clear, DJ Hero is much, MUCH better than Ride.

Thats 1 million idiots. The Used game store near my house can't get rid of the copy they have their cause no one wants it lol.

Who knew people wanted to be like skill-less hacks who take and remix music they don't and couldn't make!

... But then again, given some featured bands in Guitar Hero, I think it's awright.

I'm glad to hear that gaming execs are capable of modifying expectations, but my immediate reaction was, "Oh, good. More Hero games. Exactly what the industry needs."

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here