Guns and Lego Bricks Build Epic Shootout

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Guns and Lego Bricks Build Epic Shootout

Lego toys may be small, but they can pack a hell of a punch.

Something I hate about most action movies I see is that the actual fight sequences are nearly incomprehensible due to quick-cuts and confusing camera angles. Case in point: By and large, I enjoyed The A-Team, but there were a couple of moments where I had no idea who was doing what in a fight. Anyone who's considering making an action movie should watch this video. Not only is it one of the best shootout scenes I've ever watched, but it was made with Lego toys!

This is the latest YouTube video by Custard Productions, which has put together a number of amazing stop-animation videos featuring Lego characters and settings (the Metal Gear Solid parody is especially brilliant).

In terms of quality, I'd put this up with the shootout from Heat. Not only does it present an exciting, coherent narrative from a single angle, but it also features a sequence where a dude flies with a jetpack.

I'm not sure how long it would take, but I'd love to see a Lego adaptation of the lobby sequence in The Matrix. Based on Custard's track record, it would probably look amazing.

Source: Geek.com

Well, that almost looks like they got the right number of pictures for each second, (I can't remember if it's supposed to be 24 or 60). But I found it really janky and hilarious when the BJ Blazkowicz wannabe would run from cover to cover. He would kinda look like a zombie, hunched over and not visibly moving his legs much.

Still pretty awesome though, thanks for sharing.

I have to say that is the most epic thing I have ever seen. The fact that it was in lego made it even better.

That was great. I liked the use of one long, low shot, it really puts you "in" the action and this is honestly one of the best shootouts that I've seen in a while. Also, jet pack mook FTW!

Completely off-topic here, but does anyone else prefer the old yellow lego people to the new peach ones? I find the new skin tone ones detract from the silly charm.

That is just plain awesome.

Holy shit...

A man using toys should teach modern action movie directors a lesson.

This is the most amazing shootout I've seen since, indeed, Heat!

When one guy has a Kevlar vest and the rest don't, it's not exactly fair. It can, however, still be awesome.

vansau:

Legos may be small, but they can pack a hell of a punch.

I'm sorry this is going to make me sound REALLY anal but I'm afraid I have to point this out because it REALLY bugs me!

When referring to Lego, the plural of Lego is LEGO, not LEGOS. There is no s on the end. It is like the word sheep. You have one sheep or many sheep. You do not have many sheeps.

For example:

I love to play with Lego
I built this model using 200 Lego bricks
I have a lot of Lego

It is something that Lego themselves got a bit touchy about a few years back and people navigating to Legos.com would recieve a message politely telling them to refer to it simply as Lego. Lego is a brand name and the individual pieces are Lego bricks or Lego toys, it is a brand name and not a description of the actual product.

/rant

Sorry about that, it really annoys me, is all!

OT: The video was really cool! I love to see traditional animation still being made and with a medium which seems to suit it perfectly, Lego!

@Proverbial John: I've heard it argued both ways. I know there was a case in 1980 with Lego asking parents to protect the brand name itself, but I can't find any official documentation officially clarifying this. Do you have a link?

I must admit my favorite part was that the wilhelm scream was used to the start.

Humm? Why cant most modern Shooters be that exiting?

vansau:
@Proverbial John: I've heard it argued both ways. I know there was a case in 1980 with Lego asking parents to protect the brand name itself, but I can't find any official documentation officially clarifying this. Do you have a link?

Sure do:

Proper Use of the LEGO Trademark on a Web Site
If the LEGO trademark is used at all, it should always be used as an adjective, not as a noun. For example, say "MODELS BUILT OF LEGO BRICKS". Never say "MODELS BUILT OF LEGOs".Also, the trademark should appear in the same typeface as the surrounding text and should not be isolated or set apart from the surrounding text. In other words, the trademarks should not be emphasized or highlighted. Finally, the LEGO trademark should always appear with a ® symbol each time it is used.

From this page on the official Lego site: http://www.lego.com/eng/info/fairplay.asp

Sorry, I didn't mean to cause any offence. I'm a bit of a grammar Nazi really, so it's the only reason I brought it up. I can understand Lego wanting to protect their brand name. However if you put legos into google, you're never too far from anything Lego related, so I guess it doesn't matter in the end. :P

OK, cool. I'm making edits now. Thanks for bringing it to my attention :)

That is so cool. So very cool.

His expression reminded me of May Payne the entire time. I'd love to see a "making of" video of this.

Gears of Lego, that would be so sick, a huge jump from the current lego games and people like this would benefit from the new range of lego guns they would release.

Hahaha, that was awesome. And the cardboard Gear Solid one was also brilliant.

Major credit to this guy.

That.

Was.

AWESOME.

he should make a film!

Wow... that was nothing short of amazing, particularly the jetpack bit.

Hahaha, not only was that a brilliantly scripted shootout, but the brief, awkward pauses before he caps a dude and the anticlimactic jetpack scene put it pretty squarely in Lego humor as far as I know.

If Lego ever decided to go mature with their parody games, I'd be right on board.

13lackfriday:
Hahaha, not only was that a brilliantly scripted shootout, but the brief, awkward pauses before he caps a dude and the anticlimactic jetpack scene put it pretty squarely in Lego humor as far as I know.

If Lego ever decided to go mature with their parody games, I'd be right on board.

Hell yeah man. Me too. I gotta agree, the pauses and the ending did match well with the humor you mostly find in the Lego videogames.

Now that was 7 shades of brilliance, I often envy these people who have creativity, talent and time.

Another awesome Stop-Motion movie. Thanks

....that was freaking awesome!!!

That was pretty amazing, It inspired me to go back to legos

the screen should have gone red when he got hit. Like in all stupid modern shooters.

Hey, look, an action hero who reloads instead of carrying twenty-eight guns with one magazine each. I remember those!

The clip is pretty spiffy; the only bad part is when Hero Guy runs from cover to cover, because it's really hard to get dynamic running motions from a Lego figure. Still: Definitely spiffy.

vansau:
I'm not sure how long it would take, but I'd love to see a Lego adaptation of the lobby sequence in The Matrix. Based on Custard's track record, it would probably look amazing.

Many people have tried, actually. But i'm too lazy to watch them all and pick the best one.

That was awesomely awesome. The single shot is definitely much more effective for scenes like this than having it broken up by lots of cuts.

Proverbial Jon:

vansau:

I'm sorry this is going to make me sound REALLY anal but I'm afraid I have to point this out because it REALLY bugs me!

When referring to Lego, the plural of Lego is LEGO, not LEGOS. There is no s on the end. It is like the word sheep. You have one sheep or many sheep. You do not have many sheeps.

For example:

I love to play with Lego
I have a lot of Lego

It is something that Lego themselves got a bit touchy about a few years back and people navigating to Legos.com would recieve a message politely telling them to refer to it simply as Lego. Lego is a brand name and the individual pieces are Lego bricks or Lego toys, it is a brand name and not a description of the actual product.

/rant

OT: The video was really cool! I love to see traditional animation still being made and with a medium which seems to suit it perfectly, Lego!

On a side note i thought you would find this... well, i dunno.. cool?

LEGO is made from the two dainish words "LEg GOdt" which basicly means play well ^^

LEGO is the pride of Denmark! =)

erto101:

Proverbial Jon:

vansau:

For example:

I love to play with Lego
I have a lot of Lego

/rant

LEGO is made from the two dainish words "LEg GOdt" which basicly means play well ^^

Wow! Didnt know that! hehe, so cool!

OT : Epic video though, love it when people get free time to make stuff like this with such innocent bricks!

erto101:

Proverbial Jon:
snip

Yeah I had read that on Wikipedia of all places! :) It's a pretty cool way of coming about a brand name. I thank Denmark for the wonderful invention of Lego!

God, I gotta get out my old LEGO Studio set. I used to make Indiana Jones videos (in particular a truck chase that I believed to be quite badass) with it, but nothing this good. Thanks for the nostalgia, and an introduction to what looks like a pretty awesome series of videos.

Keshen is pretty amazing. I guess I'm a fan of his seeing as I saw this video on Youtube before I saw it here as an article.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here