Insane Brain Age Video Heralds End of Math As We Know It

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Insane Brain Age Video Heralds End of Math As We Know It

Would you want to live in a world where 8 times 4 equals Pikachu?

The above video is of a tool-assisted speed-run of - of all things - DS noggin-builder Brain Age. Unlike most TAS speedruns (or indeed, most speedruns in general), the performer is not aiming to complete the "game" as quickly as possible.

No, in this case, speedrunner Ryuto was just aiming to trick Brain Age - and apparently the laws of mathematics as we know them. According to the description, this particular run "[abuses] the number recognition program by secretly drawing the number answer in each picture," But you know what? I don't see any secret numbers. This is clearly magic, or possibly a deal with any number of mathematics-loving demons.

On the surface, this appears to be little more than a clever way of fooling the system, but we know what this really is: This is the end of math. Numbers are now meaningless! Brain Age has tampered with the fundamental forces of the universe, and now we are all reaping the consequences!

Ow, my brain hurts just watching this.

Yes, that is awesome. Gotta love emulators... I'm not sure if I should be happy or sad that I get the majority of those references...

EVERYTHING I KNOW IS WRONG!

I've got a massive headache now.

Oh look, the universe is imploding due to maths breaking, what a pity.

Hey if 8x4=Pikachu I passed my Maths GCSE!

That is the coolest thing iv seen in a while.

.......and i knew what almost everything that was drawn was........

.. I don't understand reality anymore! This is all wrong, but.. right? Fuck, I'm so confused right now.

..And have a really buggering headache from all that buzzing and clicking too. Thank you.

3x9 = Kirby.
Well that could have saved me some time in second grade.

Please allow me to go recollect my brain from the other side of the room, because it just blew itself.

..........that was really cool.

SCIENCE PREVAILS.

Again.

It was the Tetris screen that did it for me.

That's pure unadulterated awesome.

I... it... my head hurts.

I'm impressed, I don't care if it was tool-assisted, that was friggin' awesome.

... but numbers, currency, language, writing, words, letters, sounds, were always meaningless outside of whatever meaning we attached to them.

But this is just messing with the "shitty handwriting" subroutines. Any squiggly line and any loopy thing = 20, basically.

Lol that's badass. And I hate to be "that guy", but just to be Devil's advocate, this wouldn't be terribly difficult to fake. Just record solving each one normally and then just insert the animation of him drawing different things to create a mere illusion that 3x3=turnip.

Wait, I thought 8x4 did equal Pikachu?

Oh.

Now I know why I failed my maths exam...

John Funk:
Would you want to live in a world where 8 times 4 equals Pikachu?

HECK YEAH!!! =D

Seriously though, Nintendo could rule the entire galaxy. From becoming insanely rich to saving children from blindness to screwing with the laws of mathematics themselves, I estimate that they could destroy every organism in the galaxy in about an 72 hours.

ShotgunShaman:
Lol that's badass. And I hate to be "that guy", but just to be Devil's advocate, this wouldn't be terribly difficult to fake. Just record solving each one normally and then just insert the animation of him drawing different things to create a mere illusion that 3x3=turnip.

It comes from TASVideos, they provide the actual input file so anyone can check it with an emulator and ROM of the game.

On-Topic: Saw this when it was first put on TASVideos, it's awesome but I still prefer the 0 star Mario 64 run.

This is what happens when we put Nintendo in our schools. And I can't say that I have a problem with that.

Hold on, about 3:50 in, or thereabouts, there was a Questionable Content reference in there... Am I a massive nerd for spotting that? Because if so, I don't want to be wrong... :D

ShotgunShaman:

Not hard to fake, but, if you go over to TASvideos, download a DS emulator, the ROM of Brain Age*, and the speedrun file, you'll see it's all legit. Brain Age is actually interpreting those pictures as the answer to the question.

I couldn't finish the video. My brain was hurting half-way through. Argh..

Isn't it possible he may have hacked the ROM? Then made it recongnize these images as the numbers?

This has to be fake. When I do it it has difficulty distinguishing between my 7 and my 4!

No wonder I'm rubbish at maths... I can't draw

It'll have the same affect as someone dividing by zero, and we all know what happens when we divide by zero, don't we children?

BobisOnlyBob:

ShotgunShaman:

Not hard to fake, but, if you go over to TASvideos, download a DS emulator, the ROM of Brain Age*, and the speedrun file, you'll see it's all legit. Brain Age is actually interpreting those pictures as the answer to the question.

Well then. Touché.

Nothing.... nothing makes sense anymore...

He even drew the NEW Pokemon grass-type starter... the one that doesn't even have an English name yet. That was impressive... as were the detailed drawings of Lugia and Ho-Oh.

How did the drawings look this good? It's impossible to draw that well with a DS!

PS: 13-9=Gamecube

All they had to do was to have 2 layers of video, mask the box part of the video and draw the pictures and speed it up. But still... who can draw that perfect on a DS?!

JordanMillward_1:
It'll have the same affect as someone dividing by zero, and we all know what happens when we divide by zero, don't we children?

actually, according to that ROM hack it equals Majora's Mask.

*Goes to shop to buy a Wii*

Cashier: That will be 3 Pikachus, One Kirby and a Princess Peach. Additional Wiimotes and Nunchucks would cost one Ocarina and two Master Swords Each.

Me: OK, *hands over stuff*

OI!!!

Why did this happen AFTER I finished all my High school math classes?!?! My grades would have skyrocketed if 18-9 equalled Tetris back then!

*deep sigh*

On a side note, I recognized every single picture and almost knew each game they came from!

Maybe I should take a break from Nintendo for a while...

Heh. I just noticed: Luigi= 0.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or