Edward Norton Dropped From Avengers Movie

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Edward Norton Dropped From Avengers Movie

Marvel Studios has announced that The Incredible Hulk will be appearing in the Avengers movie, but Edward Norton will not.

Marvel is assembling an impressive cast for the 2012 Avengers movie: Robert Downey Jr., Scarlett Johansson, Samuel L. Jackson, Edward Norton - no wait, scratch that last one. Edward Norton will not be reprising his role as everyone's favorite scientist-with-anger-management-issues, Bruce Banner, as the studio has decided to recast the part with another actor.

"We have made the decision to not bring Ed Norton back to portray the title role of Bruce Banner in The Avengers. Our decision is definitely not one based on monetary factors, but instead rooted in the need for an actor who embodies the creativity and collaborative spirit of our other talented cast members," said Marvel Studios President Kevin Fiege, Speaking from the set of Captain America: The First Avenger.

"The Avengers demands players who thrive working as part of an ensemble, as evidenced by Robert, Chris H, Chris E, Sam, Scarlett, and all of our talented casts. We are looking to announce a name actor who fulfills these requirements, and is passionate about the iconic role in the coming weeks."

It's disappointing that Norton won't be appearing in The Avengers, as one of the most exciting things about the film was that it brought all the recent Marvel movies together, but exactly how much screen time Norton would have gotten in a movie with at least four superheroes in it is anyone's guess.

The Avengers is scheduled for release on May 4th, 2012.

Source: Spinoff Online

Huh to bad I liked him as the hulk.

What a ridiculous reason not to cast him. He's not the type of actor to pine for screan time. I mean in the hulk the major scene he obviously had nothing to do with. In fightclub he seemed to have no problems letting pitt get his screne time. I'm reconing somethings gone on between him and the director. Fucking ridiculous. Him and Downey Jr would have made that film. Both quality actors. And it would have been great to see their personalities clash.

That sounds like a bullshit excuse for something else that happened. Probably made a statement about politics or religion that a producer didnt like.

he needs to be in this he is an amazing actor and the film WILL suffer from his loss

some body's fck buddy(cash or otherwise) must have got the role.....*roles eyes*

If they cast Eric Bana to take his place I'll be so pissed off.

dathwampeer:
What a ridiculous reason not to cast him. He's not the type of actor to pine for screan time. I mean in the hulk the major scene he obviously had nothing to do with. In fightclub he seemed to have no problems letting pitt get his screne time. I'm reconing somethings gone on between him and the director. Fucking ridiculous. Him and Downey Jr would have made that film. Both quality actors. And it would have been great to see their personalities clash.

Actually, he's kind of known for it. The director of American History X wanted to have his name taken from the credits due to Edward Norton trying to force him to give him more screen time. I love him as an actor, but he sounds like a real egomaniac, and a prick. Still, this is a bummer. He's a great actor.

I think that's kind of a shame, Edward Norton is a good actor and he's proven so in films like Fight Club and American History X that he can pull off without too much difficulty strong and difficult roles and it's not like the Hulk is a hard role to play given that he would only be in the movie half the time (the other half he is replaced by a green CGI monster) so I think it's a load of bull that he 'can't perform alongside the heavy hitters'.

Still at least the Avengers movie has now got a date, so that's something for the nerds to get excited about. I just hope this movie doesn't suffer too much without Norton.

Milky_Fresh:

dathwampeer:

Actually, he's kind of known for it. The director of American History X wanted to have his name taken from the credits due to Edward Norton trying to force him to give him more screen time. I love him as an actor, but he sounds like a real egomaniac, and a prick. Still, this is a bummer. He's a great actor.

Fair enough. He'd always come accross as one of the normal actors. But yea. It's still gonna be a bit mistake to cut him. They might be just letting him know they're not above cutting him so he'll snap back inline? you never know.

err is anyone else reading that as "Edward Norton is a fucking pirma donna and no-one wants to work with him"? That's what I'm getting out of the quotes.

Milky_Fresh:

dathwampeer:

Not only that, he's also known for insisting on taking part in the production path of the movies he's in. Making important decissions or at least having a say about stuff. Which is not exactly how Marvel is working.

awwww that's disappointing

I haven't actually seen the Hulk yet, but I'm definitely going to be.

Why? Because I found out about the Avengers movie. I watched Iron Man and liked it, then heard that they were intending to do the full works, and that kind of sealed the deal. If they do this right, it's going to be great.

As to the Hulk, like I say, I'm going to see it, but I've never been that bothered by the changing of actors out of a movie.

I've heard he is a real arse off screen. I will agree he is a fantastic actor, but it's said he snaps at fans for just saying hi in the street. Not asking for an autograph, photo or coming up to him saying how great he is. Just saying hi and moving on... yeah I can see why they say he doesn't play well with others.

Wasn't ed a huge fan of the Hulk?

But yeah, the reasons given are pretty stupid IMO. I liked him as Banner. I would understand if this was due to undiscussed internal problems, though.

Well I know Edward Norton is a bit of a ego maniac, but he still is a good actor and I go love continiuity with a film series (isn't that one of the major points of the Avengers movie?" so I'm annoyed, but I wouldn't call it a deal breaker, as the Hulk was never too much of a major part to the Avengers.

Confirm Nathon Fillion is Ant-Man and all will be forgiven, or heck, as the Hulk.

Aww, only reason I watched hulk was for Ed :*( sad times.

Strange.. but I wasnt married to who plays Bruce, I just want a great Hulk

Never really been a fan of his, he picks good movies, and generally does a good job and all...there is just something about him that I find to be...objectionable.

tkioz:
err is anyone else reading that as "Edward Norton is a fucking pirma donna and no-one wants to work with him"? That's what I'm getting out of the quotes.

That was my interpretation, yes. Although I think he's a fantastic actor, and have never met him so it could just be the director/producer/whoever being an asshole.

Damn shame. Loved him in the hulk...*sad walking away music as I exit page*

Shame, he made an excellent Banner. Maybe they should just suck it up and learn to live with his ego. Hell, the Star Wars cast had to put up with C3PO!

Milky_Fresh:

dathwampeer:

Yep thats what I was going to say. He's an amazing actor, probably my favorite actually, but he's known for re-writing large portions of his parts without anyone asking for it, and playing the "it's this or I'm out" card constantly. In a movie that'll probably have ten+ well known actors in the mix, this is a recipe for disaster.
I'd love Norton in Avengers, but it just makes sense to take him out.

tkioz:

Totally this. I love the guy, but I can honestly say it comes as no surprise if he's a bit of a dick.

Also, my favorite flavor of Avengers is the kind without the Hulk anyway. Sure, he was original, but so was Hank Pym. So I couldn't really care less about who's filling that role.

Milky_Fresh:

dathwampeer:

Except from what I've heard about his interaction with the Avengers movie, he's actually ligtened up a bit because he really wants the role. He and Joss Whedon get along brilliantly apparently, and he said he'd work cheap just to get the chance to be in it. From what I've gathered from this situation it seems to be more of an issue between Marvel and Norton then anything else.

Gah, the fuck? Won't the previous Hulk movie just be completely moot now?

Get Norton back in. I prefer my continuity intact.

I hate it when they change actors around for sequels... (considering The Avengers is kind of a sequel to the last Hulk movie)

How about David Duchovny?

Damn. Norton is one of few actors I feel has never done a single really bad film. Even Hulk was pretty good all taken.

Well even though he's a great actor I couldn't care less about the Hulk. I mean the actor can be as great as he wants but whenever that stupid looking CGI "Imma destroy all" Monster comes on screen it does resemble the actor at all anyways.

And as the Hulk movie sucked hard anyways, who cares.

Haw, so they're trying to say Norton's not good enough? You'll need a better lie than that.
This is getting a bit much now. Sure Norton can be a bit of a Christian Bale, but take into account the fact that not only did he really want to be a part of this film, but this will be the third Bruce Banner in six or seven years! That's a bit much no matter how you spin it. If it was Stark (RDJ) they'd never get away with it.

The movie wont suffer for it, I mean with Robert Downey Jr and Samuel L Jackson you've already got two of the best, but it is a little disappointing because I enjoyed him in that role. That being said however, it won't be hard to find a rep for Bruce Banner. I assume Bruce won't be in the movie much at all anyway and it will be the CGI Hulk that uses up most of the character's screen time.

Oh well it is not as if the Hulk needed to be or was going to be a major part of the avengers movie anyway. The Hulk movie was made around the same time so they will bring him in, but the whole Avengers movie is being made because Iron Man was so successful. As such, he'll likely be given a large portion of the picture's attention.

Sounds to me like they were badmouthing Mr Norton in this announcement.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here