Would-Be Hulk's Agent Strikes Back at Avengers Statement

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Would-Be Hulk's Agent Strikes Back at Avengers Statement

Edward Norton's agent calls Marvel's statement "unprofessional, disingenuous and clearly defamatory" after the actor was dropped from the Avengers movie.

Ok, quick Avengers movie recap: The Hulk is in, but Edward Norton is out. A statement from Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige suggested that the actor wasn't a team player and wouldn't have worked as part of the movie's ensemble cast, but Norton's agent has issued a counter-statement, saying that Fiege's claims aren't true.

According to Brian Swardstrom of William Morris Endeavor Entertainment, as recently as two month ago, Fiege was very excited about securing Norton for the Avengers movie: "He told me it would be his fantasy to bring Edward on stage with the rest of the cast at Comic Con and make it the event of the convention. When I said that Edward was definitely open to this idea, Kevin was very excited and we agreed that Edward should meet with Joss Whedon to discuss the project."

Swardstrom said that Norton's meeting with Whedon was a very successful one, and Marvel began talks with the actor. "Marvel subsequently made him a financial offer to be in the film and both sides started negotiating in good faith. This past Wednesday, after several weeks of civil, uncontentious [sic] discussions, but before we had come to terms on a deal, a representative from Marvel called to say they had decided to go in another direction with the part. This seemed to us to be a financial decision but, whatever the case, it is completely their prerogative, and we accepted their decision with no hard feelings," said Swardstrom.

Norton was apparently excited about the project, and Swardstrom is dismayed that Fiege would try and suggest otherwise. "Counter to what Kevin implies here, Edward was looking forward to the opportunity to work with Joss and the other actors in the Avengers cast, many of whom are personal friends of his," he said. "Feige's statement is unprofessional, disingenuous and clearly defamatory. Mr. Norton's talent, tireless work ethic and professional integrity deserve more respect, and so do Marvel's fans."

No replacement has been announced for Norton, but with San Diego Comic Con just around the corner, it seems likely that we'll find out pretty soon. The Avengers movie is scheduled for release on May 4th, 2012.

Source: Spinoff Online

That kinda sucks. Norton was a good match for Bruce Banner.

But hey, this isnt the first time we hear rumor of Marvel and Norton not seeing eye to eye.

All in all I think it is very important for that ll the actors play well together in the Avengers move, because well... THE ARE NOT ALLOWED TO F IT UP!

But first let's not F up Thor and Captain America, shall we Marvel? :) By that I mean;

Make sure you end Captain America in such a way that we can get Winter Soldier in a future movie.

No great loss.

Having seen both, Eric Bana was the better Banner imo.

Plus, he looked the part.

I've heard that Norton is a real "hothead" on set, mostly due to script issues. From that I doubt his departure was financial.

It's just a pity that possibly the lamest of all superheroes even has to be in this film.

generic gamer:
It's just a pity that possibly the lamest of all superheroes even has to be in this film.

Aquaman isn't in this, is he? :p

Logan Westbrook:

generic gamer:

Touché. Though if I was completely serious I'd probably say the Scarlet Spider was the lamest Marvel hero.

Damn you 'Clone Saga'...

It's a shame. The man is a great actor. If there's one person who knows how to play average joe's with bizarre split personalities, it's him.

Logan Westbrook:

generic gamer:

lol low blow! But yes undeniable! XD

the statement did sound defamatory tho, basically saying Ed Norton wasn't a good enough to work in a team! imho

I was pretty certain that whoever wrote that press release for Marvel was spewing out their ass. I hope they catch hell for it as well.

Personally I don't think this bodes well for the movie. I understand that ensemble casts can be expensive, but Norton was one of the big draws for this movie - he is indisputably one of the best actors of this generation.

He does, however, have a reputation for being extremely picky about script direction. The rumor is that he re-wrote most of the Incredible Hulk movie (and from what insiders say, this actually improved it, so I'm afraid to see what it was like originally).

Personally I'm more depressed that Whedon is attached to this property. I can't forgive him for what he did to the X-men on his run with the comic. Okay, maybe that's being melodramatic, but suffice it to say, I didn't like it.

I hope the Avengers turns out to be a good flick, but right now I'm not overly positive about it.

Shame, Norton is a great actor.

I hope that containing the hulk is the avengers first mission.

Logan Westbrook:

generic gamer:

Touche' sir, though I would recomend watching Justice League and Justice League Unlimited where he is made much more awesome.

Sigh, so many great actors wasting themselves in shitty action movies, Norton, Downey, Bale... It's sad. Yes, Dark Knight was good, but it's an exception. Sam Worthington is a fine action hero, but these guys...what a shame.

TheEnglishman:

Logan Westbrook:

generic gamer:

Touche' sir, though I would recomend watching Justice League and Justice League Unlimited where he is made much more awesome.

If I wasn't so sure you all knew that those were DC heroes, and not Marvel, and would not be in the movie, I'd spaz :)

Here's my vote for worst Marvel character ever:
http://marvel.com/universe/Nanny_%28cyborg%29

Hollywood excels itself once again.

As I said previously, I wonder if they'll poach Christian Bale now that he's almost finished his Batman commitments. Speaking of which, aren't we due an announcement about that soon too?

Xersues:

TheEnglishman:

Logan Westbrook:

generic gamer:

If I wasn't so sure you all knew that those were DC heroes, and not Marvel, and would not be in the movie, I'd spaz :)

And now the best Marvel Character ever:

The Best (Look at the stats)

Silver Patriot:
And now the best Marvel Character ever:

The Best (Look at the stats)

And, of course, Deadpool is second.

Followed by Lady Deadpool, Kidpool, Headpool, Dogpool and Bob, Agent of HYDRA ;)

Xersues:

TheEnglishman:

Logan Westbrook:

generic gamer:

Yes, I'm aware.

My vote for worst Marvel Character: The Kool-Aid Man who had a brief comic series published by Marvel in the mid 80's.

Wow edward norton is a really rather good actor ( the illusionist, fightclub and american history X really prove this), maybe this is better for his career as i think he acted well enough in the hulk movie but really wasn't right for the part in many levels.

Hulk was the weakest of these new wave marvel movies and i don't think he would have played a massive part in the avengers movie anyway (if they know what's good for them they will actually include Robert D. jr. in some way).

Personally i think it's proabaly going to end up as one massive exercise in over fan-service like X men origins wolvarine was. People will pop out of nowhere, do some thing 'awesome' and say a line then dissapear again. At it's worst is could resemble 'advent children' in it's distateful parading of "LOOK THAT GUY IS HERE!" and sheer faceplamlyness.

TheEnglishman:

Logan Westbrook:

generic gamer:

Oh I know, I was only joking. Most people think that all he can do is talk to fish and breathe underwater, without knowing that he also has some degree of super strength and resilience.

So basically norton wanted too much money. I don't get hollywood. They get millions of dollars for a few-several months work no matter what. Why nitpick?

Also before we get on a conversation about him. I think Deadpool is super lame.

Logan Westbrook:

TheEnglishman:

Logan Westbrook:

generic gamer:

Oh I know, I was only joking. Most people think that all he can do is talk to fish and breathe underwater, without knowing that he also has some degree of super strength and resilience.

Blame Super Friends.

Silver Patriot:

Logan Westbrook:

TheEnglishman:

Logan Westbrook:

generic gamer:

Blame Super Friends.

I actually have a Ringer-Tee from Seanbaby.com that says 'Aquaman Sucks!' on it.

Let's just put it this way. I love my friends, we get along great, we have a blast spending time together, but would I want to work with them? Proabably not, some of the quirks that make them great friends would have me hating them at work.

In fact, my best friend and I have drastically different work ethics. I tend to knuckle under and get something done during work hours while he actually stayed up all night before a road trip since he was partying earlier in the week and couldn't get stuff done. God help me if I'd been the one waiting for his work.

Well, expected the reply, although didnt expect it to be so outspoken.

It is a shame Norton wont be playing the role...I just hope they dont use the opportunity to retcon the past of Bruce Banner

I don't see why Edward Norton should ever work with these people ever again. The producers of "The Incredible Hulk" completely tore his screenplay (co-written with Zak Penn) to pieces, and may indeed have ruined that movie. I don't know what the Norton-Penn original might have been like, but it couldn't have been worse than the "just-another-boring-comic-book-movie" that was ultimately made. Plus these are the same people who completely failed to do anything interesting with "Iron Man 2".

Don't get your hopes up for "Avengers". The thing is gonna be the most disastrous mess. Just because you get a fanboy hard-on from seeing your favorite hero on screen doesn't make it a good movie. What chance does a movie have with six or more leading characters?

It's also entirely possible that the 'team player" comment DID have something to do with financial issues. After all, we're looking at a lot of leads, and a lot of money, in theory, being paid out for actors, and it's entirely possible that one of the issues being raised during negotiations was that I fully expect that nobody on the Avengers film is going to be making "leading man" money, and that Norton wasn't on board with that.

But meh. It's a loss, but not a crippling one.

What the what!?! thats it, I'm done with Marvel movies for the next while...

and whats with all the discussion about Aquaman? (by the way, the real Aquaman really isn't that crappy at all...

he's no Superman or Batman, but he can hold his own against well-known supervillians...on land, may I add)

Oh please. I really liked Edward Norton's performance in The Incredible Hulk. Admittedly though, I was worried that he might not be part of the Avengers for whatever reason, but for this? Because someone was shooting his mouth off? That's just not fair.

Honestly, I really want Norton in it, he was brilliant in the incredible hulk. He was in the after credits teaser for the Avengers movie, for Christ's sakes! They can't put him in a teaser for the movie, then not have him in the movie!

I definitely can't see any financial problems here, what with the movie the Expendables coming out.

Sad, I did like Norton in that role, and despite what he might be off stage, he works hard and always seemed like a team player, sad...

I never know which side is lying when it comes to Hollywood. You can't tell if only one of them is lying, if one of them is telling the truth, if they're both full of crap, or whatever the hell the case is.

Logan Westbrook:

generic gamer:

I'm sorry, did somebody say my name?

On topic, I love Ed to death. I'm not blinded by my fanboy-dom, though, I bet he could be a bit of a hothead. Still, the manner in which they dismissed him was a little harsh.

Stabby Joe:
I've heard that Norton is a real "hothead" on set, mostly due to script issues. From that I doubt his departure was financial.

I guess you could say: Don't make him angry. You wouldn't like him when he's...

gets booed offstage*

Hearing that Norton will not be involved with the Avengers movie is unfortunate, for several reasons.

1. I don't actually like the Avengers - I've always thought they were, as a general rule, silly, and some of the individual heroes were frankly rather lame.

2. I have never ever ever seen any movie that contained Edward Norton which I did not like.

When you couple point #2 with the bit where Joss Whedon is directing it, a movie I was sort of dreading and not looking forward to at all quickly transitioned in my mind to something I was looking forward to, if only to see if my Norton principle of film critique would hold true. Now I'm not quite back to dreading it but I'm definitely more skeptical, phooey.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here