Kevin Bacon Takes on Villainous Role in X-Men: First Class

Kevin Bacon Takes on Villainous Role in X-Men: First Class

They say that everything is better with bacon. Will that apply to X-Men movies too?

Veteran actor Kevin Bacon has joined the likes of James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender as part of the cast for X-Men: First Class. Bacon has been confirmed as a villain in the movie, and while exactly who is being kept under wraps, there are rumors that he will play the twisted geneticist Mister Sinister.

Bacon's career has spanned more than 30 years, and he's appeared in movies like Tremors, Hollow Man and Frost/Nixon. He is also the focal point for the "Six Degree of Kevin Bacon" game, where players try to link other actors to him in six moves or less.

It's also been announced that actress Jennifer Lawrence has joined the cast, and will play the shape-changer Mystique. Lawrence recently starred in the movie Winter's Bone, which wowed critics when it was released last month.

The cast for the movie seems very strong, but it's starting to look a little crowded in there. First Class is supposedly about Xavier and Magneto and what caused them to take such different paths later in life, but as the cast swells the worry is that we'll end up with another X-Men: The Last Stand, with way too much is going on. Iron Man 2 managed to fit a lot in without seeming too busy though, so a stance of cautious optimism is probably the best one to adopt.

Source: Variety via CBR

I...I liked X-Men: The Last Stand...

Anyway, Kevin Bacon should play Evil Kevin Bacon. But with mutant powers. Say...the power to control bacon! EVIL bacon! Of doom!

Onyx Oblivion:

Anyway, Kevin Bacon should play Kevin Bacon. But with mutant powers. Say...the power to control bacon!

I must agree with Hypnotoad.

Can we get an on screen adaptation of Apocalypse yet?

Oh boy more X fail coming to theaters....

Not interested at all.

The only interesting X-Man to me is Wolverine; his character seems to be the only one with depth. I dunno, maybe it's just that he's far easier to relate to for a guy than the whiny bitch that is Scott/Cyclops.

Bah, they're just spiraling into the same pattern the comic books always do: a great story, then they add WAY too many rulebreaking elements and everything goes crazy, and the original story becomes unrecognizable amongst the aliens, greek gods, class 5 mutants, mystical artifacts, zombies, vampires, magic beans and evil puppets.
And that's when it becomes boring.

I can see it working. He played a pretty good psycho-scientist in Hollow Man.

Hmmmm Bacon, i thought First class was going to be about the Original Xmen, hopefully without the horrible costumes.

Woodsey:
Not interested at all.

The only interesting X-Man to me is Wolverine; his character seems to be the only one with depth. I dunno, maybe it's just that he's far easier to relate to for a guy than the whiny bitch that is Scott/Cyclops.

Come on now, have a little faith in Bacon. Everybody loves Kevin Bacon, why can't you?

Wait, so this a whole movie based upon a young Magneto and Xavier, right? So that's 80 minutes of that unbelievably awful "young Xavier" effect from "X-Men Origins"? They made Patrick Stewart look like a tanned corpse.

Are all X-men movies doomed to fail because they try to cram in too many characters? Please, please, please don't screw this one up!

Kevin Bacon played a really convincing Douche in Hallowman, so he should fit as a villain, assuming he playes a real douche of a villain XD

It does feel like alot of sardines in a can...and you know what they say about too many cooks..

Well, this makes the Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon a little easier...

Woodsey:
Not interested at all.

Go read astonishing x-men by joss whedon.

He takes all of the x-men and makes them interesting characters. He even makes cyclops cool, charismatic, and a leader, without breaking the character.

The villians and plot? They are pretty bad. But the x-men themselves are very well done (and gives hope for the avengers movie).

http://www.amazon.com/Astonishing-X-Men-Omnibus-Joss-Whedon/dp/0785138013/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1279289925&sr=8-2

I think there's an animated series on Hulu, too...but I don't know the quality of it.

Bacon as Mr Sinister? DO WANT, badly!!!

Mr.Bacon has proven him self a compitant actor and i guess that's all a x-men film can ask for

Meh, Bacon never really did it for me as an acter, so I'm fairly unaffected by this news. That said, I can't remember much of the X-Men movies, and I didn't even see the third one. I'll probably wait until it's a rental and rent them all together.

Me--> Ed Asner --> Kevin Bacon

I was an extra in a movie with Asner, who was in JFK with Bacon.

On-topic, though - meh. I'm sure he'll be fine. It'd help if we at least had a confirmation of *who* he was playing...

Stabby Joe:
Can we get an on screen adaptation of Apocalypse yet?

No.
Not until the Cable movie.
When I see Apocalypse on the big screen, I want Cable to kick his ass.

Onyx Oblivion:

Same here....
Minority Movie Goers UNITE!
We have the power to like things that aren't liked by the majority of people!
that would be a great movie

Wahful:
Hmmmm Bacon, i thought First class was going to be about the Original Xmen, hopefully without the horrible costumes.

This is the problem. In the "movie canon" Iceman, who in the "comic canon" is an original x-man, is around 5. Storm didn't join until the second team because she was busy being a god in Africa. But noooo they put her in the first group for the movie.
Next, Angel (also an original in the comics) isn't there for the same reason Bobby isn't.
Plus, Havok (Cyclops minus some of the angst) is not in there (unless he is a surprise character) even though he was also on the first team/class.
So, either they confuse movie goers who don't read the comics, or comic fans who are used to the comic teams.
It's more like an x-men all stars, taking the most popular characters from the movies and making them younger.
Mr. Sinister is awesome though....
/nerd rage over.

The Last Stand is my favorite of the films

Logan Westbrook:
-snip-

Have to keep in mind, Iron Man 2 wasn't made by Fox. Another "Last Stand" is pretty much a guarantee.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here