Half of Japanese Females Think Virtual Girlfriends Are Superior

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

Half of Japanese Females Think Virtual Girlfriends Are Superior

It's tough to keep a boyfriend in Japan where there are so many choices for virtual companionship.

Japanese men love their virtual girlfriends. Sometimes they even marry them. It's no wonder that a recent survey of 300 Japanese females revealed that more than half don't think they can compete with the ladies inside a Nintendo DS.

The online survey, translated by Sankaku Complex (NSFW), asked 300 women if they thought they had a chance against the virtual ladies of videogames such as Love Plus. 53% thought they had "no chance." Despite the fear of pixelated girlfriends, only 28% said it was fine to partake in virtual relationships if they were kept hidden, and 20% didn't mind at all. However, 7% said they would dump their boyfriends if they became obsessed with a series of instructions and art assembled to represent a female.

One responding female said: "There's no way I can beat that level of cuteness." Another believes "they're made to be the ideal girlfriend," and some would even call the virtual girlfriend "complete perfection."

Talk about self esteem issues. I can't say I understand the dating simulator genre as it's more of a phenomenon in Japan than in the United States, but they must be pretty big over there for females to think their boyfriends would choose a woman that can only be accessed through a touch screen or controller over a human being. I get that some men out there might choose a virtual female over a real female, but for a woman to think she is inferior to a Nintendo DS game is pretty extreme.

Via: Kotaku

But what about procreation!? The Japanese as a race will die out, then who's culture will we steal?! D:

Only in Japan. I just cannot grasp the appeal in these titles. Must be a cultural thing. I know some women can feel inferior when looking at airbrushed models but virtual girlfriends? Really?

So wait? Real women are now finding it difficult to compete with virtual women? Wouldn't the obvious choice for any man be to pick female a companion that doesn't disintegrate whenever a power supply is cut off?

This is why we can't have nice things!

so yeah robot apocalypse getting here faster, BY MAKING US NO LONGER REPRODUCE!

Wait, the GIRLS think virtual GIRLfriends are superior?

Have some pride ladies!

I get that some men out there might choose a virtual female over a real female, but for a woman to think she is inferior to a Nintendo DS game is pretty extreme.

Wow that's insane. As we all know, in the West, you'd be ridiculed, not praised, for holding such 'ideals'

Makes sense. They make the game for the men. Tailoring it to their every whim. Real girls. You know. Actually have feelings and emotions that differ from the man's.

all that means is that the best way to find a girlfriend is go to japan right? Since the males in japan don't want them?

I think a lot of these women are talking from the perspective of emotion and appearance, not the total ratio of awesomeness between a woman and a videogame.

In essence, these women have perfect emotions and physical appearances.

"Their personalities are nice and they have no flaws. Complete perfection."

"There's no way I can beat that level of cuteness."

I don't think they believe the videogame can actually outdo them when everything is taken into account.

"The girl in a game can't offer the human warmth a real woman can."

8bitmaster:
all that means is that the best way to find a girlfriend is go to japan right? Since the males in japan don't want them?

Time to find myself a job in Japan me thinks.

Oh boy. Sankaku Complex and Kotaku. It's like a double dose of suck.

It's weird.
Well, I do not care really. But hopefully this will change in the next generations.

It's gonna be easy to pick up chicks in Japan, if that's the case. Who's with me? We'll take 'em all!

Also:

RelexCryo:
"The girl in a game can't offer the human warmth a real woman can."

"Cryo slams the cards down, and clean the table"!. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Right, now I know where I can find a woman who would date me. Now to work on that "Not being able to speak Japanese" Thing.

Calumon: This won't end well.

Guys guys guys. Lets make a trip. Everybody get to LAX and we'll share a plane to Tokyo and then comfort the crying masses of girls who just can't compete.

And they bash any other race for hitting on their women when they are going after the spirtes...

Sheesh

Notice when it's "persons polled"
You wonder where they were at polling? A mad house maybe?

This is why the Japanese are trying so hard to make robots, they need something else to have sex with now. But wait... I think there's a threat here.

What will happen once these Japanese men MATE with their robotic wives?? Imagine the horror of a half human half machine offspring. This is the new flesh! Clearly this is just a maniacal scheme to create a superior race of cybernetic and emotionally stunted supermen! Soon these robot nerds will crawl out of their parents basement and begin their slow conquest of the world! ALL FEAR JAPAN!!

You'd think that being in the flesh and having an actual personality and such would give them some kind of edge...

I'm sure they're right they can't live up to the ideals found in those games. The questions though:

Why would they want to? Those women seem ridiculously submissive and carbon cut, to the point that it's almost in the "Twilight" zone of things.

Why should they need to? I assume marrying your DS is still a fairly rare occurrence even in Japan...

Who'd want a guy in actual romantic love with his DS game? Eroge is fine for stimulation and all, but surely there's a limit to what feelings are appropriate for a piece of technology.

At least until those Androids make their way out of the uncanny valley...

Milkman Dan:
Oh boy. Sankaku Complex and Kotaku. It's like a double dose of suck.

Indeed. Tabloids at best. Not the best sources.

It's very sad to read these kind of things. But it's not only in Japan where you see people everywhere mirroring or comparing themselves and others to what is shown as 'perfection'.
It's not so strange, we live in an eara where our optical sences must and wil be stimulated to the max. The more eye candy we see, the more we want it and the more we will use it, whatever it may be. It's shown as good and the way to be, and soon all will follow.

I wonder if the people think the women die when the DS Runs out of power ...

Rarhnor:
It's gonna be easy to pick up chicks in Japan, if that's the case. Who's with me? We'll take 'em all!

Im in.

Welp, I'm moving to Japan. Now, to learn the language.

Only in Japan...

Damn need a ticket to Japan

Not necessarily a bad thing, after all, Japan is very overpopulated.

There's some perks.

No weird 'meet the family' situations and the menstruation cycle is now a mini game! Well a fun mini game compared to the real life equivalent.

That's interesting. Personally, I can see how attraction to a video game girlfriend could be all right (it's part of the point of the game, after all), and a sign the game is doing its job, but women are actually worried that the guys can't distinguish between games and reality?

Wait, does this mean Chobits is turning into a documentary?

Timotei:
So wait? Real women are now finding it difficult to compete with virtual women? Wouldn't the obvious choice for any man be to pick female a companion that doesn't disintegrate whenever a power supply is cut off?

I figured the obvious choice would be the one with "hands-off" application, wink wink nudge nudge say no more.

bjj hero:
Only in Japan. I just cannot grasp the appeal in these titles. Must be a cultural thing. I know some women can feel inferior when looking at airbrushed models but virtual girlfriends? Really?

The virtual girlfriends make more sense to me. You don't usually hear the airbrushed models talk, or commiserate with them.

Of course virtual women are superior. If you want them to shut the hell up all you've got to do is flip a switch, real women can't compete with that.

rekabdarb:
so yeah robot apocalypse getting here faster, BY MAKING US NO LONGER REPRODUCE!

Couldn't have said it better! :D

This is....fascinating and at the same time disturbing

hang on dose this mean there are lots of Japanese "females" who can't get a date
*grabs plane ticket*

Um... ok?

Whatever floats your boat I guess...
And on the bright side, us sorry, lonely, desperate losers now have a shot!

Johnnyallstar:
Guys guys guys. Lets make a trip. Everybody get to LAX and we'll share a plane to Tokyo and then comfort the crying masses of girls who just can't compete.

I'm in. Just need to learn Japanese...

Japan, you are fucked up. You...you are fucked...UP.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here