Valve to Release Alien Swarm for Free

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Valve to Release Alien Swarm for Free

Valve has a present for you, one that's alien themed and can be played with friends.

What do Team Fortress, Counter-Strike and Day of Defeat have in common? The answer is that they all started out as mods that were later made into full games by Valve. Now you can add Alien Swarm to that list, with the announcement that Valve is releasing a new version of the game for free on Steam tomorrow. The game has four-player co-op, a leveling system, and more than 40 weapons. Valve is also updating the Source SDK, so that if you want to try putting levels together for the game, you have the tools available.

Alien Swarm began its life as a total conversion mod for Unreal Tournament 2004, created by Black Cat Games back in 2008. Valve hired Black Cat and set it to work on Left 4 Dead series and Portal 2. But somehow Black Cat found a way to fit in work on a new version of Alien Swarm and as you can see, it looks pretty impressive.

Source: Rock Paper Shotgun

Wow looks like a really fun game, I will be sure to get it tomorrow :)

Why do I get the feeling my computer won't be able to run this?
Oh right, because it was made after eighteen seventy-flipping-three.

That said, it does look fun for those who don't have coal powered computers.

I'm planning on getting it, just because it's a free game, so none of my friends can complain about not having it. Also, the SDK will be fun to experiment with.

I really want this.

It's exactly the kind of thing I wanted, top down co-op. The fact it is free means it will be easy to find people to play and the mods that come out for it should be awesome.

Can't wait for tomorrow!

It's free... so I'll get it.

It's like Christmas came early! And Gabe Newell is Santa Claus!....*shudders*

Logan Westbrook:
Snip

Looks fun, if Left 4 Dead had aliens and was a top down shooter.

Does the Escapist plan to review it? I know it is Valve... but you want to be sure.

Even if it is free. :P

Nice, though at first I thought it would be like L4D but it's top down so the gameplay will be quite alot different.
Valve realy are for helping those raw talanted indie guys. Good on ya valve, good on ya.

Marik2:
Wow looks like a really fun game

Looks to me like YouTube's servers are still failing.

Anyway, I guess there's no better way to see what the game plays like than to just play it. All it'll cost me is around oh... roughly nada. Give or take. So Left 4 Dead was made by a team Valve absorbed, eh? I never knew that, seems like it was a really good purchase on their part though. It'll be interesting to check-out this game that prompted Valve to snatch them up.

I ABSOLUTELY cannot wait for this game.

I'm not a huge fan of top-down shooters, but for free it is worth a try, just like America's Army. I just hope the community isn't like America's Army's... that game was free and people were constantly bitching about it on the Steam forums about how the graphics weren't top notch or whatever...

I feel bad about not being able to pay money for this, altho I suppose that it will really depend on how good it is

Sevre90210:

Oh dear God! He would get stuck in my chimney!
Although he probably uses a portal gun, for convenience science, you monster.

Yay for pathetic attempts at humour.

........Now that does look cool. I'm definitely getting it.

Woo for Valve.

Sevre90210:

GABE CLAUS
TO PHOTOSHOP

OT: This looks great. I'll get it the next time I'm not on dialup. >_< Hopefully it's gonna remain free.

This is very clearly Valve's birthday present to me. Thank you, Valve. I knew you'd remember.

looks at desktop, notices lack of steam
downloads steam
creates account

Ok, all ready for tomorrow!

WhiteTigerShiro:

Marik2:
Wow looks like a really fun game

Looks to me like YouTube's servers are still failing.

Anyway, I guess there's no better way to see what the game plays like than to just play it. All it'll cost me is around oh... roughly nada. Give or take. So Left 4 Dead was made by a team Valve absorbed, eh? I never knew that, seems like it was a really good purchase on their part though. It'll be interesting to check-out this game that prompted Valve to snatch them up.

if i remeber right l4d was originaly made by another company (turtel rock i think) and vavle bought them or im just tired and mixing up my memories
OT: its free so im getting it

I really hope theres a first person option for this. I just dont like top down shooters as much :/

Other than that I AM GOING TO DOMINATE THIS SHIT

Too bad they got rid of the Aliens models, from chest bursters to the you-know-what. But I can understand the reasons behind that. Nonetheless, thank you Valve and Black Cat Games :)

wow....that looks cool. is it top down or first person i wonder.

Anyone remember this from the Unreal Tournament 2004 mod? No?

Well anyway, it was a pretty popular mod back in the day and I used to enjoy playing it with friends. To see a new Source SDK version is pretty sweet, especially since it's free. I'll definitely be checking this out, some fun action with friends.

Also, if it's anything like the mod, it's a great game. Don't be fooled by it being free, it had 2 campaigns that are really challenging and quite long. It's not just shoot alien swarm after alien swarm, there are objectives and different missions.

Reasons I love Valve
1)Good games
2)Free stuff
3) steam cloud in my PS3

Thank you Gabe Newell and Thank you Valve, you are fantastic, I would like to lick every employee in a show of affection.

SeanTheSheep:
Why do I get the feeling my computer won't be able to run this?
Oh right, because it was made after eighteen seventy-flipping-three.

That said, it does look fun for those who don't have coal powered computers.

You shouldn't be worried about this sort of thing, you've got surprise tube cat avatar!, he's more fun than any game! oh oh oh get him get him get him! no no almost! go on go on go on! OH ALMOST!

The thing is, who do I want to win, the hand or the cat? WHO CARES! its not about winning its about taking part in surprise tube cat sport.

Moving from Unreal to Source? that doesn't exactly seem like an upgrade...

Eh, who cares? Hooray for free games! :P

I'm calling it right now... this game is gonna be huge. Free + mod tools + support from PC gaming's Wunderkind + distribution through the industry's largest digital download application. I'd call that a rigged deck.

Hm about time we get official thread from the news room there have been several other threads on the same exact thing. O well like I have said be for. I can't wait for this game. Its free so worth it.

I love how they said "Shipload" to avoid profanity.

Either that or they genuinely felt like comparing the amount of weapons to a ship's capacity. Which is just not as awesome.

Getting this tomorrow on release.

Free stuff = Awesomeness.

Thank you Valve! You guys are so awesome.

Valve saving the day one more time. I just started getting into the genre this weekend, because i played Shadowgrounds from the steam sale (local) coop with my friend. And i thought its sad that no big studio trys to make those. and 2 fucking hours later valve announces a game that looks great, is from the portal 2 devs, free AND RELEASED NEXT MONDAY. So much joy.

sweet, definitely getting this game...mostly because it's free, but also because it looks like fun. :)

See, that's another thing I like about Valve: they give away games for free that are actually worth more than two cents.

Anyone know if it's going to be available for mac? Im hoping it will be but it's only giving system requirements for windows on steam

Oh yes!

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or