I-Dosing: Getting High With Digital Drugs

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

I-Dosing: Getting High With Digital Drugs

Parents, teacher and the Oklahoma Bureau of Narcotics are up in arms over "i-dosing," a new craze sweeping the nation in which kids get high by putting on headphones and listening to "digital drugs."

The trouble with a story like this is that it's so unbelievably stupid and overwrought that deep down inside, I can't help but think that maybe there's actually some truth to it. I mean, who would make up something this ridiculous? The concerned folks at Oklahoma's News 9 certainly seem to be taking it seriously as they talk breathlessly about the "alarming new trend" that has "parents, educators and law enforcement officials" fretting over the latest danger facing today's kids.

"I-dosing," as it's known, involves slapping on headphones and listening to "binaural, or two-tone technology, to alter your brain waves and mental state." The sounds apparently induce effects similar to those caused by marijuana, cocaine, opium and peyote, with different tracks presumably causing different effects since it's no great secret that the effects of marijuana, cocaine, opium and peyote are completely different from one another. Unless you're from Oklahoma, maybe.

"Kids are going to flock to these sites just to see what it is about and it can lead them to other places," said Oklahoma Bureau of Narcotics and Dangerous Drugs spokesman Mark Woodward. "If you want to reach these kids and save these kids and keep these kids safe, parents have to be aware, and they've got to take action."

Oklahoma's Mustang High School is taking the threat seriously enough that it sent letters home to parents warning them of the dangers of i-dosing and has also "cracked down on the use of cellphones and other technology while on campus." And it's not just teachers who are worried; even some students, like Meghan Edwards, are concerned about the dangers of digital drug fiends run amok. "I heard it was like, some weird like demons and stuff, through an iPod or something, and he was just freaking out," she said.

Like all good drugs, the first one is always free and thus I present to you "Gates of Hades", a unique auditory experience that falls somewhere between "phaser on overload" and "my snooze button is broken." Enjoy! And remember, if the cops ask, you never heard of me. Got it?

via: Wired

Does this mean I can stop paying for drugs? I can get high for free? If the Gov can make this work, it will defeat the need for a War on Drugs while also removing the large Health Hazards associated with it.

I would be much more likely to try digital Heroine or Crack than the real thing...

Sometimes I'm ashamed to live in Oklahoma... What am I talking about? All the time I'm ashamed to live in Oklahoma.

Seriously though, this is far from the stupidest thing to come out of my home state. Though it is up there... Maybe Apple can cash in on it though and release the iBong, for all your digital drug needs.

Excuse me for asking, but what? Seriously, what!?

Soon we'll be able to make weed out of Lol-cats

you know i'm gonna have to throw up a white flag on this.

Maybe the kids feel good afterwards after listening to it. maybe

But i don't think it's a "new drug that will [insert wtf weed/crank/whateverelsedrug slogan here]"

Parents are overreacting, soon their gonna be targeting games like grand theft auto and say that this is a new way of causing euphoric entertainment by letting the character beat to death any random person instead of someone they know in school

I tried.YOutube stopped about half way in

why complain?
seeing as real drugs have real side effects and this is just sound i see no trouble with this
bullshit i call
and the parents probably high themselves

I find it silly to compare a phaser loop to a hard drug. Perhaps this entire school has been trolled? I know these things have been around for a while but some bored DJ/troll finally got the reaction he's been looking for.

Sweet! I can carry my drugs in my MP3 player now!

'Dude you want to get stoned?'

'Sure'

'Here put these in your ears'

'...'

I've tried this (surprise surprise) and while it can produce some effects, they really aren't anything at all comparable to the real thing. They might be fun if you've never done it before, but really, it's not all that. It has basically the same effect as the way listening to really bass heavy music really loud can dissociate you for a little while, but you certainly won't be tripping from it.

Sadly, it's going to get caught up in the "SAVE THE CHILDREN" paranoid furor just like everything else does.

Incidentally, if anyone wants to get an actual hardcore drug experience perfectly legally, I'd suggest trying item number 4 on this Cracked article. Tis quite the experience.

Oh, fuck, I'm not sure if this is the second most ignorant thing I've ever heard, or if it's something I should be concerned about, I use very large headphones and I would hate to get stopped by the cops and have them listen to my music just to prove I'm not getting high.

Andy Chalk:
"I heard it was like, some weird like demons and stuff, through an iPod or something, and he was just freaking out," she said.

This sounds like the beginning to a really awesome Shin Megami Tensei game.

JaymesFogarty:
Excuse me for asking, but what? Seriously, what!?

I have no idea...but, some people really have too much time...I just cannot believe the authorities are acting so stupid...

Hey kids! Say it with me! Plaaaaaceeeeebooooo effeeeeect! YAAAY!

What is this I don't even.

No seriously, what the hell? Oh noes, we have to stop kids from listening to things! Really. This is what you are raising hysteria about. Not concerns that they're going to damage their hearing by playing crappy music so loud you can hear it across a room, which I could get behind, but worrying that annoying sound loops are somehow capable of "getting you high"?

How is this not an article the folks behind The Onion created?!

I clicked that link and.....ok you have got to be kidding. You are making this up.

I rather wish that this wasn't such blown-out-of-proportion nonsense. Driving around town, blasting everyone with airwave-based crack could be a fun way to kill an afternoon.
I could become a supervillain! Rob banks by going in there with a digital weed-overdose and make everyone too disinterested to stop me!

I'll stick with pot thanks.

This isn't April!

I demand to know why you have obvious jokes?

blakfayt:
Oh, fuck, I'm not sure if this is the second most ignorant thing I've ever heard, or if it's something I should be concerned about, I use very large headphones and I would hate to get stopped by the cops and have them listen to my music just to prove I'm not getting high.

Actually it's not ignorant at all, I've got about twenty tracks of it on my PC, it's an actual technology. The effects are mild and most likely psychosomatic but there are some effects.

Silly yes, but not ignorant seeing as they know about a technology that most of us don't seem to believe exists.

I got about 30 seconds in and had to stop.....started a migraine.......ugh.....

BREAKING NEWS! Our Children, according to unnamed sources and a need to sell more stories, are using office chairs to induce strange, mind-altering effects. Details are still unclear, but unspecified experts who could be anyone theorize that children achieve these effects by sitting in the chair, and then either by pushing off from the floor or with the help of an accomplice, rotating in them until they reach a speed at which certain fluids in the inner ear are affected, causing, among other dangerous effects that aren't that bad in reality, a sense of disorientation and dizziness. Studies carried out by the University of Damning Statistics Pulled Out Someone's Ass show that up to a very high percentage of our children have at least tried this terrifying new trend. More on this intriguing story as we grow more and more desperate for attention.

Kpt._Rob:
Sometimes I'm ashamed to live in Oklahoma... What am I talking about? All the time I'm ashamed to live in Oklahoma.

Seriously though, this is far from the stupidest thing to come out of my home state. Though it is up there... Maybe Apple can cash in on it though and release the iBong, for all your digital drug needs.

The iBong - that is just brilliant! Thanks for making my day, Kpt_Rob.

OP: What's next - listening to iDrugs while taking real drugs? Wait, that's just listening to trance/rave music while high isn't it?

Yeah my ears started to hurt after about 30 seconds of it.

More than likely the "reaction" they are experiencing is the painful sensation of the cells in their ears dieing thus making them unable to hear properly for the rest of their lives.

Wwwwhhhhaaaatttt? Is this serious? Is it? Isn't it?

Regardless, I know that sounds can influence the body, certain low octive notes can actually cause vomiting which is used in hospitals to help people who have swallowed things instead of using a pump. (Don't quote me on this it's what I heard once). I digress, my point is, it could be possible, but why would you want to inflict "binaural, or two-tone technology" on your brain?

Why oh why oh why?

(Then again I don't get why people take drugs anyway, well I do but I still don't understand it).

Oh please, I tried this thing one time a few years ago, it didn't really seem to work. If it did, the it certainly didn't do a good enough job to get this riled up about it.

This seriously reminds me of "A certain scientific railgun" (the anime, not an actual railgun) and the "Level Upper" ô.0

in related news, officials in oklahoma are putting the brown noise on the terrorist watch list, saying that anyone who plays a brown note in a public place will be immediately shot and killed by officers, in fact anyone who seems like they might play a brown note will be beaten within an inch of their lives for the public good, said a concerned resident "Im just glad we can go about our business and not have the theat of the brown note upon our children's heads"

Breaking News: The Internet is Full of Bad Things

Parents cautioned against letting teens use technology, as shocking new research indicates Satan himself may occupy integrated circuits and imported vacuum tubes.

Other news in rural America:

Cows More Boring Than Expected This Year, Science Likely to Blame - page A4
Ancient Archaeological Findings Indicate "The Wheel" is Responsible for Terrorism - page A7
"Why The World Needs Superman" by Editorial Columnist Clark Kent - page B6

Andy Chalk:

Parents, teacher and the Oklahoma Bureau of Narcotics are up in arms over "i-dosing," a new craze sweeping the nation in which kids get high by putting on headphones and listening to "digital drugs."

I read this part and said, to myself, "They have officially gone insane."
Seriously, sound waves that alter your brain chemistry? You just went from science, skipped science friction, and then went straight to friction.

Hmm...I'm calling BS.

[Clicks on link to "i-Dosing" song and follows instructions.]

Ten minutes later...

Weird. It feels like I've been laying on my back for ten minutes listening to a one-second song over and over again. I'm OFFICIALLY calling BS.

yeah, it's bull-shit

Um curiosity got the better of me and I can say that the sound is seriously fucking with my head. Its not making me high or anything but it feels weird as all hell and makes me feel like its going to get REALLY loud and break my eardrums.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here