I-Dosing: Getting High With Digital Drugs

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

I cant believe Im going to listen to the whole 9 mins of this. Six minutes in and still absolutely nothing, I think people are just hoping so hard to get high off of it that they trick themselves into feeling it.

Rarhnor:
Soon we'll be able to make weed out of Lol-cats

"Hey man, I need some Ceiling Cat, man..."

"All we got is Cheezburger dude, that other shit is too dangerous to import."

"Whatever, you're in the corporeal world, I'm in the metaphysics... and shit..."

I swear I heard and saw children playing in a field in the last little bit. The friend who was sitting with me said I kept listening and saying what I was hearing for a good three minutes after the video stopped.

Or perhaps it was the belt I had wrapped around my head squeezing of the fluids from raching my brain. (It was actually the belt to my bathrobe)

Ok, who drugged the Oklahoma water supply?

Do you kids want to do this but don't have headphones and some sort of media device? Have someone smack you over the head with frying pan! It'll give you the same feeling plus the annoying sound!

My first reaction to this article was 'well, they're late to the party'. I first heard about idosing almost 4 years ago. I was curious, and listened to the Nitrous Oxide track. It did make me giggle for about 5 minutes, but I was pretty sure it was a placebo effect, I expected to laugh, so I did. Either way, it's nothing for school districts to be up in arms about. If this stuff actually worked, everybody would be doing it.

ThyNameIsMud:
Do you kids want to do this but don't have headphones and some sort of media device? Have someone smack you over the head with frying pan! It'll give you the same feeling plus the annoying sound!

If the thing makes you feel like you were hit by a pan it's got something weird going on. I might try it if I weren't desperately avoiding laying down and closing my eyes.

Bwhaaat?! Since when is ear rape considered pleasurable?

This.. is quiet possible the most stupidest thing I have ever heard..
"I heard it was like, demons and stuff on iPod, and this guy was like, crazy and stuff!" - Yeaah, that wasn't the blonde cheerleader-syndrome now wasn't it?

Rarhnor:
Soon we'll be able to make weed out of Lol-cats

Snort-a-cat

The last paragraph is amazing. Really had me chuckle there. Also, I think if you are expecting to be drugged by this music you will automatically really believe it's effecting you.

I am listening to the preview right now as I type and only thing I hear is this music that is raping my ears. I declare it bullshit for now.

Hey... Want to try a little Snow Crash? It's the newest thing, just look at this image, it'll get you high... trust me...

I'm calling placebo effect/the power of the brain to manipulate itself. Tried a few of the YouTube tracks and was no more affected (almost less so) than the few tracks of Buddhist monk chanting I've got (The Gyuto Monks; they're on iTunes, I believe one of their albums is like $1.99 and two tracks clocking about 20-25 minutes each) or Bull of Heaven, a noise band.

Quite frankly I don't buy one bit into the "lol tune your brain with different frequencies" stuff.

Furburt:

Incidentally, if anyone wants to get an actual hardcore drug experience perfectly legally, I'd suggest trying item number 4 on this Cracked article. Tis quite the experience.

Does it really work?

HSIAMetalKing:

Andy Chalk:
"I heard it was like, some weird like demons and stuff, through an iPod or something, and he was just freaking out," she said.

This sounds like the beginning to a really awesome Shin Megami Tensei game.

If Loki asks for your hot teacher DO NOT GIVE HER TO HIM. IT ONLY GETS WORSE.

Enemy Of The State:

Furburt:

Incidentally, if anyone wants to get an actual hardcore drug experience perfectly legally, I'd suggest trying item number 4 on this Cracked article. Tis quite the experience.

Does it really work?

Yep. Give it about 30 minutes or so and your brain begins to fill in the gaps. Believe me though, it's quite intense, so beware.

Only in Oklahoma...sigh...

For me it works.
Altho you gotta take the time for it to actually have a chance of working; use headphones, lie down, close your eyes and avoid bright/artificial lights.
Without doing this it will fail allmost every time. Also i've tried mixing the sound with another track without acceptable success. You sense something different, but you can't really place it. Altho with alot of effort i wouldn't be surprised that you can influence current day music to push you towards a specific feeling.
As i've had my fair share of experiments in the past i do have to admit that its not as vivid as the real deal, but for something that you can put on and step out of when you want, its a pretty sweet deal. And i wouldn't be surprised that the effect takes longer to work on people who never used any drugs before, but i'm not quite sure about that statement.

Lisolet:

Kpt._Rob:
Sometimes I'm ashamed to live in Oklahoma... What am I talking about? All the time I'm ashamed to live in Oklahoma.

Seriously though, this is far from the stupidest thing to come out of my home state. Though it is up there... Maybe Apple can cash in on it though and release the iBong, for all your digital drug needs.

The iBong - that is just brilliant! Thanks for making my day, Kpt_Rob.

OP: What's next - listening to iDrugs while taking real drugs? Wait, that's just listening to trance/rave music while high isn't it?

Yea and I share his sentiments on living in oklahoma with things like this... Seriously there's a lot of things that parents should spend more time worrying about say... getting the kids out from in front of the tele and spending time with them?

tried this shit, nothing happened, probably works on the placebo effect if it actually works on anyone

Sounds like a load of crap, way to go Oklahoma.

CaptainCrunch:

Breaking News: The Internet is Full of Bad Things

Parents cautioned against letting teens use technology, as shocking new research indicates Satan himself may occupy integrated circuits and imported vacuum tubes.

Other news in rural America:

Cows More Boring Than Expected This Year, Science Likely to Blame - page A4
Ancient Archaeological Findings Indicate "The Wheel" is Responsible for Terrorism - page A7
"Why The World Needs Superman" by Editorial Columnist Clark Kent - page B6

Awesome.

I like the effect, but it's not comparable to drug use. And, although the effect is similar, it's not as enjoyable as listening to a 40 minute long prog-rock song at full volume either.

nofear220:
I cant believe Im going to listen to the whole 9 mins of this. Six minutes in and still absolutely nothing, I think people are just hoping so hard to get high off of it that they trick themselves into feeling it.

Try not to expect anything, it will only hurt your brain and make the music/sound as annoying as you expect it to be. The key is to accept what is coming, without making expectations. Otherwise you'll only disappoint yourself. And yes, i know it sounds like new-age-hippie-bullcrap, but you need patience for this. If you want guarantees and fast & easy service like MacDonalds, go buy and use the real deal.

Andy Chalk:

The sounds apparently induce effects similar to those caused by marijuana, cocaine, opium and peyote, with different tracks presumably causing different effects since it's no great secret that the effects of marijuana, cocaine, opium and peyote are completely different from one another. Unless you're from Oklahoma, maybe.

After trying all the above drugs at various points in my life I'd just like to confirm that the audio effect doesn't bare a resemblance to the drugs effect, not that I doubt any of you believed it actually would, but still, some people eh?

I tried listening to this and halfway through my ears just hurt too much.

I figured I would try it just to come to a conclusion about the whole thing, and yes it really fucks with you. I was completely monotone going in then bursting out laughing going out, and you get a goosebump feeling and such. Really freaky considering its just an mp3.

This is fucking stupid...
It's no different really from say hypnosis or music...
Sound in general instills us with emotion, pumps us up, depresses us, depending on how it resonates with our chakra's.

By this identical logic, these people basically are stating all music and indeed sound itself should be banned.
I get high on music all the time, it's why you turn that one song you like so much up. It gives you a kick.
Some people are just retarded...

That incessant beeping noise!
It hurts my ears.

Kpt._Rob:
Sometimes I'm ashamed to live in Oklahoma... What am I talking about? All the time I'm ashamed to live in Oklahoma.

Seriously though, this is far from the stupidest thing to come out of my home state. Though it is up there... Maybe Apple can cash in on it though and release the iBong, for all your digital drug needs.

Your state has produced one of the coolest bands ever The Flaming Lips at least be proud of them. Though the Flaming Lips are vastly different than the state they are from.

OT: Really?! This just sounds absolutely ridiculous.

I have the program to do it. I've never really thought it really did, much, though.

Daedalus1942:
This is fucking stupid...
It's no different really from say hypnosis or music...
Sound in general instills us with emotion, pumps us up, depresses us, depending on how it resonates with our chakra's.

By this identical logic, these people basically are stating all music and indeed sound itself should be banned.
I get high on music all the time, it's why you turn that one song you like so much up. It gives you a kick.
Some people are just retarded...

Yes, I prefer music for the effect.

These sounds sound like something from my old Science Museum. There was this machine that projected sound into water to make it move or splash around.

I am calling the Placebo effect on this. You set someone down, dim the lights, they lay down and relax and with this monotone playing their mind starts to wander, then there is that bit of frequency change about 1:30 in and they think something is happening.

Its pretty stupid for parents to lose their minds over this, because comparing them to actual chemical/synthetic drugs is pretty stupid. "Digital crack"... yeah, good soundbites for the "war on drugs" pushers.

There's a song on the Tool album AEnema called "(-)ions" which is actually pronounced 'negative ions'. The sound waves in the song are meant to produce a positive vibe by affecting your brain patterns when listening to it through headphones. If you have the album you might wanna give it a shot.

Never did anything to me, but scour the interwebs and people say that listening to this song basically alters your brainwaves just a little to produce a positive, happy state. A fun experiment for ya, kids!

This sounds like people messing with hypnosis, which as far as I know is harmless and ineffective.

Actually, believe it or not, I've seen these things in action. Some of them do work, and it's kind of horrifying.

As a test, one of my friends (Friend A) subjected another one (Friend B) to a test. Friend A was to play a binaural beat that is intended to make you laugh uncontrollably, while Friend B was completely unaware of the beat's intention. It worked. Friend B couldn't stop laughing.

These things seriously screw with your brain, it looks like. I can't imagine that they're good for you in any way.

As I said before, it is biologically impossible to zonk your brain into seeing things with just sound. You'll hear stuff, and you might feel dizzy, but you aren't going to suddenly start speaking in tongues and spitting flames. Its stuff like this that tickle me the wrong way, besides Yuri used a monaural tone to mind control people into serving Mother Russia.

I mean, heck, I've listened to the sountrack from Half-Life through headphones and yeah sometimes I shiver or I feel the sound switching speakers so it feels like its gliding between your ears but really, its just aural trickery. You can't visually and tactilly hallucinate with noise, no matter how strange. This is not science fiction, this is not even real, this is another stunt to make the internet and kids look like just another group of junkies. Not that we don't have that label already, but if the entire internet gets condemned for this I'm going to hide in Canada to escape the unleashed fury of 4chan when they can't go online.

I listened to the youtube video link and it's just a static sound that does nothing.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here