Daily Star Gets Nailed for Made-Up GTA Story

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Daily Star Gets Nailed for Made-Up GTA Story

A story posted on the Daily Star about a brand-new Grand Theft Auto game based on real-life killer Raoul Moat has been pulled following an uproar over the fact that the U.K. news site made the whole thing up.

Sometimes it seems like the videogame industry just can't catch a break. Take, for instance, this story posted by the Daily Star with the blaring headline, "Raoul Moat: Videogame, Film and Book Plans Cause Fury." Moat, for those who don't know, was a 37-year-old U.K. man who shot his ex-girlfriend, killed her new partner and then shot and critically wounded a police officer before killing himself a few days later during a standoff with police. And while tragic, it would have nothing whatsoever to do with our little world of digital entertainment except for the efforts of the Daily Star, which dug up a fake cover for Grand Theft Auto Rothbury and proclaimed that work on the game was already underway.

"Fury erupted last night over plans for a Raoul Moat book, movie and game... before the man he killed has even been laid to rest," the story began.

"Last night, gaming websites showed the cover of Grand Theft Auto Rothbury - a version of the Xbox hit Grand Theft Auto," it continued. It also claimed that "film companies are lining up bids for the rights" to a movie, although no specifics were given.

As if that wasn't enough, the Star then went to the grandmother of Moat's former girlfriend and asked what she thought of the whole thing. "I can't believe someone wants to make money out of people who have been killed," she said. "It is sick - it's blood money. The game is beyond belief."

And she's right, in a sense; it is beyond belief, because it doesn't actually exist at all. The Daily Star appears to have made the entire thing up. Is it likely that some random guy from the internet got bored and shopped up a GTA Rothbury cover? Sure. But the "gaming websites" allegedly promoting the new game seem to be in remarkably short supply outside of the imagination of Daily Star writers.

The story has since been pulled, an apparent acknowledgment of the fact that some lies go too far even for a site as notoriously trashy as the Daily Star. But it doesn't appear too anxious to give up on such a juicy story; the headline and the fake GTA Rothbury cover are still plastered on the Star's main page, at the top of the "Most Popular" stories list.

via: CVG

I think someone has very, very poor taste...

This doesn't surprise me at all. The papers here are all full of sensationalist nonsense and don't let facts get in the way of a scandelous story.

Well it'd not like anyone reads the paper anyway. Like the sun you only buy it for the boobs.

I despise papers like this, drumming up random pointless shit just to get some readers.

Pointless.

Bravo to whoever finally got them to take that stupid thing down.

Just so people don't get confused here, the news-worthy bit of this story isn't that the Daily Star lied, it's that they pulled the story.

The Daily Star is less reliable than the Sun.

But really, what are facts and journalistic integrity if they get in the way of a good story?

Now that is unbelievably classy, bravo daily star 'journalists'.

Oh good heavens...

The British papers are off again. I feel so ashamed. The Daily Star is the lowest of the low, even lower than the Sun, News of the World or the Mirror.

To be honest though, anyone who has played any of Rockstar's games would KNOW that this would never happen. GTA might offend many people in many ways but it certainly isn't that insensitive.

Is this publication (if I dare call it that?) really so desperate for news that they have to make this trash up? Sadly there will be people who believe this and that's another blow to the gaming industry with the "games are bad" hammer.

Gullibility and sick jokes combine to make something... indescribable. Also, do you have to show the guy in the top right of the image? It's kinda messed up, and not something I want to see when drinking my tea.

Calumon: I know there are people who'd do that, but I didn't know people would believe that.

The cover is in incredibly poor taste, but FUCK ME the Daily Star are stupid.
Oh wait, we knew that already.

Wow. Just wow. What did the gaming and movie industry have to do with this incident? NOTHING. But one paper just had to pull it out of thin air and make it look bad. It probably spawned from people supporting him. I could imagine Rockstar have grounds to sue if they wanted to.

Some one is insanely stupid at that news paper... And some one is gonna get their ass fired.

I like to think that most people avoid tabloids. And that the ones who don't are duly ignored.

vallorn:
ah the Left wing press,. thier so stupid!!

I think you'll find that the Daily Star is a predominately right-wing biased paper.

I'm not really that shocked by this i was expecting somethinh along these lines to pop up in the next few months i'm just amazed that it happened this soon.

Not that worried about this heaping more crap on the 'everythings videogames fault' bandwagon give the scource, if the stars headline tomorrow was 'the sky is blue' i'd have to go outside and check before believing them.

See...just don't trust the English Tabloids. Ever.

Their entire basis is Shock first: Truth...mebbe.

vallorn:

Irony??
because the Daily Star really aren't left wing

What pisses me off is that the Daily Star will probably get away with not even having to apologise for this story, let alone not being sued (which they should be).

I wonder how long before Rockstar sues them for everything they have...

I'm surprised Fox News didn't do this.

The sad thing is, this is pretty much British newspapers attitude towards the game industries summed up in one article. I have yet to see any newspaper or magazine (outside of proper gaming and media ones obviously) be even neutral towards the games industry; it's all negative hyperbole.

If I can find the video of the UK chat show where they interview the games journalist and some other people I'll post it. It's depressing.

EDIT: Ah ha! I found the funny version to make it slightly less depressing.

Daily Star = UK Version of Fox News?

vallorn:

Kiefer13:

I think you'll find that the Daily Star is a predominately right-wing biased paper.

While we're here, notice the irony in your post vallorn. Highlighted for you!

luvd1:
Well it'd not like anyone reads the paper anyway. Like the sun you only buy it for the boobs.

May I remind you "It was The Sun wot won it"

OT: I will buy tomorrows edition and see if they apologize in print.

I tried to see the story on their website. It's been replaced by this:

Wow, great journalistic integrity there, Daily Star. That's totally something I'd expect from a tabloid news site.

Terramax:
What pisses me off is that the Daily Star will probably get away with not even having to apologise for this story, let alone not being sued (which they should be).

It's astonishingly difficult for individuals to make UK tabloids retract stories, let alone get any damages out of them. Only celebrity-level people with enough money to force it through the courts on principle ever really get anywhere (as the Daily Mail has found out on multiple occasions.)

Of course, it's also very easy for powerful companies like BAE Systems to use the British justice system to slap silencing injunctions on newspapers who are planning to reveal well-researched wrongdoing. Funny that.

An added problem is that the body that people can complain to about stories like the Raoul Moat thing (the Press Complaints Commission) is entirely self-regulatory. The current chairman of the PCC is one Paul Dacre, editor of the Daily Mail. Essentially, that means you have zero chance of having a complaint upheld - unless you make one about Bolsheviks or something.

If you want to keep an eye on the sort of vile stories British tabloids run about various marginalised members of society, this blog keeps good tabs on it: http://tabloid-watch.blogspot.com/ It gets kinda depressing though.

This is retarded. Sensationalism above facts huh?

PhunkyPhazon:
I tried to see the story on their website. It's been replaced by this:

Wow, great journalistic integrity there, Daily Star. That's totally something I'd expect from a tabloid news site.

That made me laugh XD

soapyshooter:

No, that would be The Sun - A newspaper which, if I recall, had a cover story about how "Emo" was a dangerous new cult. That being said, the Daily Star, the Daily Express (Princess Diana Times), The Mirror and the Daily Sport are all trash mags under the guise of news.

Chech:

soapyshooter:

No, that would be The Sun - A newspaper which, if I recall, had a cover story about how "Emo" was a dangerous new cult. That being said, the Daily Star, the Daily Express (Princess Diana Times), The Mirror and the Daily Sport are all trash mags under the guise of news.

Don't forget the Daily Fail.

Oh Daily star you've done it again!

Kiefer13:

Chech:

soapyshooter:

Don't forget the Daily Fail.

At least you guys have BBC, all our news is biased. The only thing that comes close to being near perfect news is NPR, National Public Radio.

Root's Guide to the English Papers
The Daily/Sunday Sport - No discernible stance(Male/All classes) : Tits - Every page : Headlines "ELVIS FOUND ON MOON".
The Sun: Politics - Hard Right(Male/Working Class): Tits - Page 3 : Headlines include Fascism, Celebrities, Anti Europe
The Daily Mail - Hard Right(Female (honestly)/Middle Class): Tits - None : Headlines include Racism, Homophobia, Scare Stories, Hating the BBC
The Daily Star - Hard Right(Male/Unemployed): Tits - most pages : Headlines include Scare Stories, Xenophobia
The Independent - Left(Middle Class): Tits - NEVER : Headlines - Grief/Anger/Sorrow/Green
The Times - Right(Upper Class): Tits - Occasionally: Headlines - Stiff Upper Lip, Doom but with proper grammar.
The Financial Times - As above but with more stockmarkets.
The Observer (Sundays Only) - Left(Middles Class): Tits - Occasionally: Headlines : It all depends who's running it at the time.
The Grundiaa - (Guardian - Known for its regular typos) - Left(Middle Class) - Tits: Occasionally - Snooty, self-serving but generally not that biased. Best of a bad bunch.
The Telegraph - Conservative (Middle/Upper) - Supports ENGLAND. God bless your shiny shores, and woe betide any Johnny Foreigners. Printed 4 obituaries before people were dead.
The Express - A local paper for local people. Nothing foreign here. Oh Diana, how we miss you.

All weekend supplements are full of celebrity tattle and are generally all as bad as each other.

This is just disgusting. These types of 'news outlets' should be disbanded immediately, their publishers sued for thousands of counts of slander and libel...

One can dream though, right?

Stupid fucking bottom-feeders...

I dont understand why they have to make up some story about a computer game company when theres so much more shit happening in the world i mean come on ... its pathetic ¬_¬

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.