Nintendo Wins Another R4 Lawsuit

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Nintendo Wins Another R4 Lawsuit

It's another legal win for Nintendo as 11 retailers in the Netherlands have been convicted of illegally importing and selling R4 cards and mod chips for the Nintendo DS and Wii.

It's no secret that Nintendo has a "thing" for piracy and isn't shy about bringing the legal guns to bear wherever and whenever it feels the need to do so. The latest battleground is the Netherlands and it's another check in the "win" column for Nintendo: The Hague District Court convicted 11 retailers of breaking the law by importing and selling R4 chips for the Nintendo DS and mod chips for the Wii. The court rejected an argument by the retailers that Nintendo's opposition to sales of the devices constituted "an act of unfair competition."

Nintendo said in a statement that it "welcomed" the decision and that it would continue to "take action to prevent the distribution of pirated software and devices that allow illegally downloaded software to be played."

"Nintendo takes this action not only for the company's sake, but in the interests of its partners who spend time and money legitimately developing software for Nintendo videogame consoles and systems, and customers who expect the highest standards and integrity from products bearing the Nintendo name," the company said.

Nintendo won a similar legal victory against an R4 seller in Australia in February but continues to struggle against piracy; in April the company blamed a nearly 50 percent sales decline in Europe on the prevalence of R4 chips and the indifference toward piracy among many consumers.

Source: MCV

Ban the R4! When I found someone I didn't like had it at a party, he got smashed out of his face, so I took it (Yes he brought his DS to a party) and decided to do a magic show with it, wince now person wanted to be sawn in half.

How can they not win, anyway? They are illegally distributing MANY games at a fraction of the price.

Calumon: Wait, can't Nintendo find out where they were importing the chips from?

EDIT: All right! Jeez, didn't know the R4 had other legal uses. Every single one I've seen is loaded with games.

I really hope that they find a way to end all mod chips, though I realize that will never happen.

Well good for them.
I really hope that once the 3Ds comes out R4 will become a thing of the past.

Good for Nintendo! I hope they can put an end to all this piracy nonsense with the 3DS.

This is good news, it seems to me that most of the parents of my little sister's friends who own a DS have bought them R4 card's loaded with 100 or so games, even if they would have only bought 5 games legally, it all adds up to a huge loss for Nintendo, and us legit gamers!

[quote="Jack and Calumon" post="7.217104.7322944"]When I found someone I didn't like had it at a party, he got smashed out of his face, so I took it (Yes he brought his DS to a party) and decided to do a magic show with it, wince now person wanted to be sawn in half.

dude, what kind of parties do you go to?!? sounds super lame.

hmmm eh r4 is old hat there are many better and widely used cards even now.

Well, it is true. Consumers just want something, they dont care if its cheaper or not at times.

But, I bet this wont be the last we heard of this from Nintendo~

Cool. Too bad mod chips are only half the story with DS piracy.

Now what about using the mod chip for fan created games? Or fan localized (not the same as translated, some fan localizes have taken more than two years) for games that nintendo and other companies won't ever fucking translate and export? Destroying mod chips is pointless, I can buy one from Korea and have it shipped to the US easy and not get busted, so what the fucks the point? I understand certain wants for getting rid of them, but they do more than play illegal copies of games, as far as I'm concerned Nintendo can go fuck themselves for not exporting Tales of games for the DS and other great games like Soma Bringer and A.S.H Archaic Sealed Heat to america and other places.

Good on them, I suppose. Small victories are victories still.

Good to hear Nintendo is cracking down on piracy and all...but R4s aren't necessarily used for just playing illegally obtained games. So isn't trying to get rid of all R4s a bit pointless when it's the individuals who were using the R4s to commit piracy, not the software itself?

Incidentally, couldn't Nintendo have tracked down who were supplying the retailers the R4s in the first place?

Jack and Calumon:

How can they not win, anyway? They are illegally distributing MANY games at a fraction of the price.

No, they can potentially be used to play pirated games on your DS. They can also be used to run perfectly legal homebrew software.

Oy its like suing the steel mill for the gun that shot you......*sigh*
Under the new copy right world regime if it bypasses copy protection regardless of use its illegal.....

the big problem is that chips are outdated for the wii their are ways to softmod your wii with out having to use a mod chip

Jack and Calumon:
Ban the R4! When I found someone I didn't like had it at a party, he got smashed out of his face, so I took it (Yes he brought his DS to a party) and decided to do a magic show with it, wince now person wanted to be sawn in half.

Calumon: Wait, can't Nintendo find out where they were importing the chips from?

They were being sued for selling r4 chips which is about as retarded as sueing future shop because they sell black dvds. Both can be used for piracy but both also have perfectly legal and legitimate uses.

Honestly I think nintendo should fuck off with these retarded law suits. They arnt combating piracy they are pissing people off which makes them want to pirate more.

Meh. People will still pirate and find a way to sell them, but I suppose there is a shining beacon in this debacle in that by getting this R4 crap over and done with, the 3DS will have a chance to shine without piracy fucking it up.

razer17:

Jack and Calumon:

Well, destroying someone elses PHYSICAL property? That sounds like a dick move to me. R4 cards themselves aren't illegal. they shouldn't be. Piracy isn't the only thing R4 cards are for.

they don't ship with any ROMs on them. The user pirates, not the maker. And R4 cards are defunct now anyway.

I, for instance, have a ROM of Pokemon HeartGold on my flashcard. I went out and bought HG near release, and bought a DS off eBay just to play it.And yet I have it on my flashcard. Did you know that isn't illegal? Are you going to snap my flashcard?

Me: I also use it for all the games I don't own. But I have never pretended to be anything other than a dirty pirate.

Shut up pesky inner psychological trauma, who let you out?

You over look one part of that. "Person I don't like." Now there is a reason I don't like him. He gave me hell for 3 years of my school life and since he passed out and threw up on my friends couch, we all agreed it was good for revenge.

I like you, so no, I am not going to snap your flashcard.

Calumon: OM ROM ROM ROM ROM!

666Chaos:

Jack and Calumon:

They were being sued for selling r4 chips which is about as retarded as sueing future shop because they sell black dvds. Both can be used for piracy but both also have perfectly legal and legitimate uses.

Honestly I think nintendo should fuck off with these retarded law suits. They arnt combating piracy they are pissing people off which makes them want to pirate more.

I'm sure the majority of people using R4 chips are using them for perfectly legitimate things right? I honestly don't see how stopping the distribution of R4 chips is going to make people want to pirate more.

LeonLethality:

666Chaos:

Jack and Calumon:

I'm sure the majority of people using R4 chips are using them for perfectly legitimate things right? I honestly don't see how stopping the distribution of R4 chips is going to make people want to pirate more.

It dose not matter as the ability to use for anything legal should override anythign it can do illegally since it use it illegally you are breaking other laws, so in a fair and balanced court the device is not the problem gaining and using the rom image is.

This is a move from the company that makes the easiest console on the market to softmod :p
Not that anybody does it. They're all too busy playing with their 360's and PS3's to even PIRATE Wii games!

LeonLethality:

Its quite simple really they arnt stopping the distribution atleast not at any kind of reasonable rate. Really if a company pisses me off enough with bullshit like what nintendo is pulling I would go out of my way to get an r4 chip. (well if I didnt already own one that is) The only thing this is doing is stopping those parents who buy the r4 for their kids because hey it has a lot of games on it and its sold in a retail store so they assume its legal. Even then they can still go to the local privatly owned game store or asian run corner store and buy it. Yes they are stopping the stupid retailers but the intelligent ones will continue to sell it and nintendo wont be able to stop them.

It doenst matter what the majority do, hell im pretty sure the majority of dvds/cds are used for burt movies and music. Thats not legal either but you dont see people hounding them. Same could be said about blank cassette tapes when they came out.

- Nintendo remains a douchebag
- R4 isn't soley used to use piracy. Granted, 90% of the time it will be used for sinister reasons but not always. Fail on your part
- By banning 'legal' ways to obtain such, you are promoting a black market and ilegal trade.

Good luck Nintendo, you obviously suck. People will obtain them because of connections and they still don't care much. They only resent you more and more.

Yeah! Hooray for Nintendo! And why should I care again?

Nimbus:

Jack and Calumon:

No, they can potentially be used to play pirated games on your DS. They can also be used to run perfectly legal homebrew software.

do those homebrew pay licencing fees to nintendo? if not they are illegal anyways try again.

psrdirector:

Nimbus:

Jack and Calumon:

do those homebrew pay licencing fees to nintendo? if not they are illegal anyways try again.

Prove it.

ZippyDSMlee:

LeonLethality:

666Chaos:

Jack and Calumon:

It dose not matter as the ability to use for anything legal should override anythign it can do illegally since it use it illegally you are breaking other laws, so in a fair and balanced court the device is not the problem gaining and using the rom image is.

if thats the case than nothing should be illegal because you can use alot of things that are illegal for legitimate reasons. alcohol, marijuana, some forms of guns in certain places, fucking nuclear weapons. they all have legitimate uses but it doesnt mean that any person should just be able to get them without any sort of issues arising.

The single minded sheep cheer as they march to the slaughter house

kevo.mf.last

This is a step away from freedom, soon we will not be allowed to go to any website we wish we will be forced to bend over for big greedy companys while we smile and cheer as "the bad guys" get shut down,

Anyways if you buy hardware you should be able to do anything you wish with it

Sigh...I have got to check out these chips, they sound great...and I can do so, because I am Canadian (yay!), and last time I checked it wasn't illegal to use them here.

Normal R4s are crap anyway, and they probably sold them saying they'd play any game which they won't. Still, you're asking for trouble if you're a damn retail store selling the things.

Piracy issues aside. I find Nintendo's ability to monopolize a particular format of media that they didn't invent and own the exclusive rights to, disturbing.

It still makes me wonder how the whole Intellectual Property thing with hash out with China basically giving IP laws the middle finger.

kevo.mf.last:

ZippyDSMlee:

LeonLethality:

666Chaos:

Jack and Calumon:

if thats the case than nothing should be illegal because you can use alot of things that are illegal for legitimate reasons. alcohol, marijuana, some forms of guns in certain places, fucking nuclear weapons. they all have legitimate uses but it doesnt mean that any person should just be able to get them without any sort of issues arising.

Well alcohol was banned that didn't last long due to the repercussions of banning it, marijuana is stigmatized as a magical super substance that will make you take more drugs.

In general mod chips are the same as aftermarket car parts perfectly legal to own and put in the car but it you go a speeding its your fault not the parts fault.

You can't say that this simple legal thing that breaks no law by itself is illegal simply because a corporation feels they are losing imaginary money from it. I mean come on they could do the same thing to DVD/BR writers and blank media tho those markets are larger and more powerful than the console mod market.

I would much rather their be less rules and laws than more as more means we have less freedoms and liberties.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here