Rush Brings 2112 to Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Rush Brings 2112 to Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock

Rush, one of the most influential and nerdiest rock groups in the world, is coming to Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock and they're bringing their 20-minute-long epic 2112 with them.

We don't usually pay much attention to press releases about one band or another signing up to be in one music game or another. But things change a bit when the band in question is Rush, and when it turns out they're bringing the 1976 classic 2112 to the party - the whole damn thing - you better believe we take notice.

Why? Because Rush is Maximum Rock for the geek set. Having, at the bare minimum, an appreciation for the band's work is a prerequisite for full nerd accreditation. Do you think it's just coincidence that Futurama's Fry set about defending the Earth from alien invasion with a two-liter of Shasta and an all-Rush mix tape?

The "Quest mode" of Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock will be loosely based on Rush's massive, album-spanning track 2112. Set in the late 21st century, the song tells the story of a man living under a repressive totalitarian regime who discovers a guitar, tries to bring music to the masses, fails and commits suicide as an invading space fleet launches an attack against the Solar Federation. Hey, it's 70s prog-rock, that's just how it goes.

Unlike the frontman of a certain other Canadian band (at least until somebody signed the check), Rush guitarist Alex Lifeson says he's a fan of the music game genre. "I love the idea of Guitar Hero; they have combined two great things - music and fun," he said. "I think it's a great way to introduce people of all ages to music of various styles by all kinds of different bands, while providing a launching pad for kids who want to get into playing music."

Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock is set for release on September 28 for the PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and Wii.

Holy shit... 21 minutes of flailing straight?

Yeah, why not? I got time.

Calumon: For once, I'm glad I can't play Guitar Hero. Jack's Arms are gonna hurt.

Consider it bought. I've been playing the song on Insane on beat hazard. This will be even better. The streets of my town will ring out to the sound of me failing to play this epic tune.

Oh wow...that would be intense to do...imagine it, god...

Well, could make for great drunken fun!

Rush used to be good. Right until Rock Band. That's when they started to suck.

It saddens me that it isn't on Rock Band 3, 2112 on pro-mode just sounds awesome.

This might just make me get that game.

Very impressive that they decided to do this.

My fingers hurt already...

Dude, you can't call Nickleback a band! It's just several douches smacking their hands on instruments and spewing shit into a mic.

This game looks kind of cool, but the story mode idea sounds stupid and they have milked the franchise too much.

I know Rock Band has the entirety of Moving Pictures...but...

I WANT IN RB3!

Rush? One of the most influential bands of all time?

....Why have I never heard of them?

Edit: Actually, I have heard of Rush.

When I wrote this comment I was REALLY REAAAALLLY sleepy, and I wasn't thinking clearly.

Cool.

Too bad Rock Band 3 has pretty much knocked Guitar Hero straight out of the park with the ability to now learn real instruments while playing it.

Jack and Calumon:

Calumon: For once, I'm glad I can't play Guitar Hero. Jack's Arms are gonna hurt.

Jesus, you've broke the forums.

Anyway, I had heard it was only part 4 we were getting. The whole damn thing is going to be pretty interesting.

Freebird.:

Jack and Calumon:

Jesus, you've broke the forums.

Indeed I did... I'm reporting it as we speak. Now it's changed.

Calumon: Our Bad, Sorry.

I still like what RB is doing way better, and I'm not sold on the whole quest mode thing, but the Rush fan in me has to admit this is pretty awesome.

The story of 2112 is based on Anthem. Go on, Say it. It's based on Anthem. Used to contain a loveletter to Ayn Rand. No? Don't remember? A'right.

I love the song 2112 its just one of the best ballads of all time but i can't imagine playing it in guitar hero its not that most of it would be that hard its just that it never ends and my hands start to hurt after about 4 minutes of guitar hero

I want to play Guitar Hero: Beat a Dead Horse.

When they release that, I may play Guitar Hero again.

Damn, now we just need 21:13 and we got ourselves a game!

never heard of em.

Too bad they couldn't or didn't get Neil Peart to comment since he wrote the lyrics. Sweet to see it, though.

For no oneder, I agree that their sound has changed recently, but that can probably be chalked up to Peart losing his loved ones.

For The Austin, they're one of those bands who influenced other bands but just never got enough press to gain entry into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Peart's lyrics and Lee's voice are rather polarizing, I'll admit. They are rather talented with their instruments, so they're interesting to check out in that regard.

As a Rush fan, this pleases me, not to the point that I'm going to get the game (I started and stopped with music games with GH3), but at the same time it is also kind of disappointing because it feels like the chuckleheads that make the GH game decided to grab something purely for the spectacle.

Still, my best wishes to anyone that has to play Neil Peart's drumming. Some will not make it out alive.

Ooooh 21 minutes of pain? I'm interested

The Austin:

This literally astounds me that with all the different media that they've been referenced in, ie.movies, TV shows and the like, that ANY person in North America has never heard of the greatest Canadian band of all time. Unless that person is female, then it is completely understandable...

...And now I'm buying this Guitar Hero, no matter what, that's amazing, exactly the Guitar Hero I want, especially the part about it being based off of the 2112 storyline (which in turn is lightly based off of Ayn Rand's Anthem).

And for those of you who don't know who Rush is, meet their drummer, Neil Peart:

Scizophrenic Llama:
It saddens me that it isn't on Rock Band 3, 2112 on pro-mode just sounds awesome.

It could well still be in RB3, only about a quarter of RB3's setlist has been announced so far.

It saddens me the number of people that haven't heard of them. Anyway, I'd like to see Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence. 40 minutes would make for a pretty good time.

And the meek geek shall inherit the earth!

Although I am a huge fan of rush, and 2112 is an epic tune, I'm still waiting for songs like Canto 34 to show up on guitar hero. Not nearly as long, but it would sound like a BITCH to play.

2112 is only 20 minutes long? I have lots of 20 minute long songs in my collection! Wake me up when Jethro Tull's Thick as a Brick makes it into the game - 43 minutes and 28 seconds should be rather more grueling, heh.

Also it saddens me to see how many youngsters remain ignorant of classic prog-rock bands like Rush. Just goes to show you that music nerds (the only remaining audience of prog-rock now that hallucinogenic drug use is no longer ubiquitous) don't necessarily overlap with other varieties of nerd.

Oh. My. God.

Drummers, you may now sob along with me. 21 minutes of NEIL PEART level drumming.

I can't be bothered with rhythm games most of the time, and buying the accessories cannot justify around 10 good songs in the game (even if they are all Rush) in my opinion.

However, I will make my mate buy this game and invite me round once he's got it :P

Gildan Bladeborn:
2112 is only 20 minutes long? I have lots of 20 minute long songs in my collection! Wake me up when Jethro Tull's Thick as a Brick makes it into the game - 43 minutes and 28 seconds should be rather more grueling, heh.

Also it saddens me to see how many youngsters remain ignorant of classic prog-rock bands like Rush. Just goes to show you that music nerds (the only remaining audience of prog-rock now that hallucinogenic drug use is no longer ubiquitous) don't necessarily overlap with other varieties of nerd.

Indeed any prog-rock would be awesome. Echoes by Pink Floyd would be amazing to have on a rhythm game.

Beyond that anything prog is almost going to be awesome and lengthy. I could average up a majority of the songs I listen to and they'd be 15 minutes on average. The longest song I can think of off the top of my head(aside from above mentioned by Gildan) is Dream Theater's Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence, coming in at around 43 minutes.

Sadly I doubt I will see anything I truly would want in the games. So much untapped awesome.

It boggles my mind that there are people who haven't heard of Rush. I can see not liking them, not being familiar with their work, whatever, but to be totally unaware of them? That's just weird.

monstersquad:

The Austin:

This literally astounds me that with all the different media that they've been referenced in, ie.movies, TV shows and the like, that ANY person in North America has never heard of the greatest Canadian band of all time. Unless that person is female, then it is completely understandable...

Never underestimate just how oblivious some young people are. I don't know how old that person is, but if I had to guess I would say early 90's. I, on the other had am somewhat of a classic rock snob, which I got into before there was ever such a thing as Guitar Hero.

Andy Chalk:
It boggles my mind that there are people who haven't heard of Rush. I can see not liking them, not being familiar with their work, whatever, but to be totally unaware of them? That's just weird.

This. I have no possible way of comprehending how these kids haven't heard of Rush.
I say kids and I'M SEVEN FUCKING TEEN. D: I'm an old man in young man's body...

OT: Awesome. I'm gonna get RB3 if I decide to buy another rhythm game, but if a friend buys this I'll definitely be playing it. Now we just need Echoes by Pink Floyd and I'll fall in love with GH all over again.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here