Ultimate Spider-Man Rounds Off Shattered Dimensions

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Ultimate Spider-Man Rounds Off Shattered Dimensions

The fourth &mdash and final &mdash dimension of the upcoming Spider-Man game is going to be a symbiote-friendly version of Ultimate Spider-Man.

With Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions' release approaching fast, there's been a lot of speculation about what the final dimension would be. So far, the worlds of Amazing Spider-Man, Spider-Man 2099, and Spider-Man: Noir have managed to generate a lot of excitement amongst Spidey fans. Now that Comic-Con is upon us, Activision has revealed the final setting: that of Ultimate Spider-Man.

According to IGN, which was on hand to see the game in person, the Ultimate dimension is different from its counterparts thanks to art direction and combat style:

It might not be as stark a difference as comparing Amazing to 2099, but I assure you, it's there. For starters, Ultimate is completely cel-shaded and Spider-Man's got a much sleeker, younger physique. On top of that, Spider-Man's rocking the black symbiote in this rich and colorful world and not Amazing's red and blue tights. The outfit that would be Venom is cool on a visual level, but the suit actually means that Ultimate Spider-Man plays a lot differently than the other dimensions.

...Whereas in the Noir world - if I did everything right - the villain had no idea I was around, Ultimate had black suit Spidey dropped into the middle of a mess of bad guys. This would've ended with Noir Spider-Man getting blown away in his world, but here, Ultimate Spider-Man just laid waste to these foes with the suit. Spider-Man swings his arms and whips opponents with the symbiote tendrils, he can cause the suit to shoot spikes out of his chest, and the webhead can create impalers that spring from the pavement.

Essentially, this sounds like a mix of Spider-Man: Web of Shadows, Prototype, and 2005's Ultimate Spider-Man. Web of Shadows featured similar melee-friendly play when you shifted to the Symbiote costume, but the attacks described sound like they're straight out of last summer's Prototype.

I'm a little underwhelmed by this last revelation. Marvel essentially killed off the Ultimate universe and rebooted it with the awful Ultimatum storyline in 2009. Besides, it hasn't been that long since the Ultimate Spider-Man video game came out.

Personally, I think this last dimension was a lazy decision by Activision. Why not let players play as the aged Spidey from Reign, Pavitr Prabhakar from Spider-Man: India, or even Peter Parquagh from the seminal Marvel 1602 world (that took place in Colonial America and had dinosaurs)? What about you? Which version of Spidey were you really hoping to play?

Source: IGN

I'm actually pleasantly surprised by this. Ultimate Spiderman was one of my favorite games of the last console generation, and if Shattered Dimensions is like that game, I'll be happy.

I can only claim to be a casual Spidey fan, and have to say this game has caught my attention. Will give it a go, though I can't recommend a cooler last universe due to my relative unfamiliarity with the franchise.

Intresting, a very different approach to be sure. Something to keep my eye on and see how it works.

I had that game. I hated it, I preferred Spider Man 2 so much more.

The reason I think this game will be bad is because it's not a sandbox.

Symbiote spidey, I couldn't have asked for anything more awesome

Awww, I was hoping they were going to do the cartoony baby spiderman. That would have been a ballsy move.

zombie711:

Is it me, or has the past sandbox spider-man games suck? maybe they are just trying out something different.

Broken Orange:

zombie711:

Is it me, or has the past sandbox spider-man games suck? maybe they are just trying out something different.

Spider-Man 3 had a significant amount of suckage in it, aside from being a movie tie-in. I thought Web of Shadows was okay, and loved to yo-yo enemies, because it felt like something Spidey would do. While I will miss the open world, I'm looking forward to Shattered Dimensions. Maybe it'll be a throw-back to the old, beat 'em up style games on the SNES.

What I'm really looking forward to is how Amazing and Ultimate will interact, if they do meet up. They're more alike than Noir and 2099, personality-wise. I get nerd-goosebumps just thinking about it.

BTW; epic avatar image, Broken Orange.

I was hoping for either Spiderman India or the mangaverse Spiderman.

Aw, I wanted Zombie Spidey. Though, to be honest, having a symbiote version was fairly predictable as the black costume is very iconic.

Mewick_Alex:
Aw, I wanted Zombie Spidey. Though, to be honest, having a symbiote version was fairly predictable as the black costume is very iconic.

yeah zombie spidey would have been awesome, and since ultimate is more of a retelling of the original it would have been, well more original. still, i like the ultimate look.

Jbird:

Broken Orange:

zombie711:

Spider-Man 3 had a significant amount of suckage in it, aside from being a movie tie-in. I thought Web of Shadows was okay, and loved to yo-yo enemies, because it felt like something Spidey would do. While I will miss the open world, I'm looking forward to Shattered Dimensions. Maybe it'll be a throw-back to the old, beat 'em up style games on the SNES.

What I'm really looking forward to is how Amazing and Ultimate will interact, if they do meet up. They're more alike than Noir and 2099, personality-wise. I get nerd-goosebumps just thinking about it.

BTW; epic avatar image, Broken Orange.

I'd assume Amazing would try to warn Ultimate about the suit, followed by Ultimate replying that it might have gone bad in his world, but it won't for him, with the suit later betraying him.

i really like ultimate spiderman, but seriously, we have other games with the symbionte. i was expecting something with differents mechanincs, maybe even a more mystic attune version of spiderman (from the The Other storyline). i know most of ppl hated that arc, but i kinda liked it.

Hmmm. While I loved the Ultimate Spider-man game from a few years ago, this is a little under-whelming.

They could've gone with Spectacular Spider-ham (spider-man as a pig), Indian Spider-man, Japanese Spider-man (complete with giant robot a la Power Rangers), the six armed Spider-man, mangaverse Spider-man, Ben Reilly, zombie version, and more. They could have made some more creative decisions, but what the hell, it could be good.

I suppose this final unveil is a bit underwhelming, but I'm optimistic. I agree - the reboot of the Ultimate universe was the worst thing to happen to it. It was so fun, fresh, and exciting, and the new books have lost a lot of that flair. (ESPECIALLY the Ultimate Spider-Man book.)

I agree that 1602 would have been awesome! Now that it's occurred to me, I will miss it, though I must admit I did not read those stories, and so I don't know how exactly Spidey was different other than his setting.

Hey, how awesome would it have been to play as a Spidey on Iron Man's side during Civil War, with the awesome Iron Spider suit and the extra powers from his coming back to life?

Remember, they have to make mostly universal controls, so Zombie Spider-Man might be problematic and alot of the others are harder to do or wouldn't be interesting to many.

ranger19:
I suppose this final unveil is a bit underwhelming, but I'm optimistic. I agree - the reboot of the Ultimate universe was the worst thing to happen to it. It was so fun, fresh, and exciting, and the new books have lost a lot of that flair. (ESPECIALLY the Ultimate Spider-Man book.)

I agree that 1602 would have been awesome! Now that it's occurred to me, I will miss it, though I must admit I did not read those stories, and so I don't know how exactly Spidey was different other than his setting.

Hey, how awesome would it have been to play as a Spidey on Iron Man's side during Civil War, with the awesome Iron Spider suit and the extra powers from his coming back to life?

So, play as a Fasist Nutjob Spider-Man? No thanks.

I too will miss the sandbox...its the only thing that separates Spidey from other brawlers.

I love the ultimate spiderman world, I really do.

But why not gives us, Mangaverse spiderman?

That is something that should NEVER have been removed from Spiderman games. They were one of the FIRST besides GTA to do Sandbox RIGHT and set a STANDARD with Spiderman 2.

Since then, its been all backwards and downhill EXCEPT FOR Ultimate Spiderman, which for me was the pinnacle of Spider Titles. Loved the ultimate universe, loved the cell shaded look, and LOVED the game mechanics. Hell I STILL pop that in from time to time to take a spin round the big apple just for the fun.

No Spiderman game has done as well or been as fun since. Get the people from Infamous on board and make Ultimate Spiderman 2. Now! Before Spider-man just becomes a red and blue SOnic the Hedgehog.

I'm alright with it, but it's underwhelming. They should have unveiled this one first.

well they lost my purchase, at least at full price. Ultimate spiderman was the only universe I absolutly didnt want to see, its just normal spiderman, but a teenager again. I wanted to see Spider-Girl. This is highly disapointing.

I really don't care. I just want a current gen spider-man game that's at least half as good as the Spider-Man 2 video game was.

buy teh haloz:
I'm actually pleasantly surprised by this. Ultimate Spiderman was one of my favorite games of the last console generation, and if Shattered Dimensions is like that game, I'll be happy.

You jut reminded me I had that for the ps2 :D It was such a good game alright.

I am dissappoint.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVED ultimate spider-man, spent hours on that game, just seems a bit of a cop out.

Plus Spidey only had the black suit for less than 3 issues and it didn't even have the symbol on it. Unless he's gotten it back in the "Ultimate Comics" line?

Would of preferred 1602 to be honest, but oh well....I'll still buy.

I don't know about anyone else but I'd rather have an actual Venom game.

I think Iron Spider is a secret costume for 2099. OT: It looks good, I was expecting maybe the zombie universe or Reign [which I would have preferred] but this looks good. I don't think Spiderman has the suit in the Ultimate U anymore. I could be wrong, the last I read Kitty Pride had gone all "Magneto" on everyone and went into the sewers. That was like 5 months ago.

Wow. For the last universe I wanted only two things; no black suit and no Ultimate Spider-Man. So of course I got both of them.
This was really predictable, couldn't they have gone with 1602, or Zombieverse, or anything but what they did? I mean, it's an obvious choice in retrospect but still, since it was the last reveal I kind of hoped that it would be something really out of left field. This is a big disappointment for me, but I am still excited for the rest of the game.

Ultimate Spider-Man is pretty much the only one still worth a damn after Ultimatem. Ultimates died with Ultimates 2 and X-Men died somewhere by the wayside as well. UFF never even got off the ground.

That said, I'm not really interested in Spider-Man games anyway, so it's not like this is suddenly going to convince me to buy it, but it's still interesting to see how much they're trying to push this new reboot.

HG131:

ranger19:

..what? I'm not talking about centering the story around the politics of Civil War, just making a place for Spidey to have that cool costume and extra powers to run around a beat up bad guys. His suit gives gliding abilities and looks awesome. What's not to like about that?

Yes, the worst one for last.

Ultimate Spider-Man! Really?!?!

That's stupid.

ranger19:

HG131:

ranger19:

..what? I'm not talking about centering the story around the politics of Civil War, just making a place for Spidey to have that cool costume and extra powers to run around a beat up bad guys. His suit gives gliding abilities and looks awesome. What's not to like about that?

The suit still comes from a Fasist Nutjob, ruining the cool.

Wait, no Spider-Girl? No Ben Reilly? LAME!

...then again, if this makes serious bank... in a sequel...

[pre-orders]

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or