"Other OS" Lawsuits Combine Into Single Mega-Suit

Pages 1 2 NEXT

"Other OS" Lawsuits Combine Into Single Mega-Suit

Two heads are better than one, right? Well seven heads are even better than that.

The recent removal of the "Other OS" option from the PlayStation 3 went down badly with some people, so much so that seven class action lawsuits were brought against Sony over it. Now, at the request of "all counsel," the lawsuits have been combined into a single complaint.

A document obtained by Ars Technica said that all seven cases were essentially the same: That Sony had falsely represented the PS3 by removing a feature that it had previously advertised as an advantage over its competitors. The document also stated that the judge had ordered three San Francisco law firms to act as co-lead counsel for the case.

The consolidation of the suits into a single complaint makes it much simpler from a legal point of view, and it seems unlikely that Sony is going to be able to mount a reasonable defense in this case. It could argue the point that it removed the option due to guard against piracy, but having a reason for the move won't necessarily protect it from having to offer some sort of compensation to consumers. The first court date is set for some time in September, for the parties to discuss the next steps in the case.

Source: Ars Technica

Removing the Other OS option to prevent privacy is like banning torrent services to prevent piracy. Sure it may be a common application of the feature but it has other uses too.

So what if they win? Will it come back? Will I get some money?

BY YOUR POWERS COMBINED, I AM CAPTAIN LAWSUIT!

Yeah, not as exciting as that really.

If I had a dollar for each time the Escapist used a screenshot from that game to accompany a legal story, I'd have a crapload of dollars

Well good on them and good luck to them too.

So it's like Voltron only with lawyers.

They merge and evolve into "Super Sue! The ability to rip money straight from your coroporate machine!"

Heh, this should be intresting, now often "All Counsel" is put into effect...ive expected thos to happen on the whole google problem, but not this, heh

Here's hoping sony will admit they did something stupid, bring back the feature and sack the arse who came up with this idea.

I own a ps3, I dont give two shits about the feature what so ever. and torrent has no other use besides pirating

John Funk:

You don't know how hard it was to keep this article Voltron free :)

Logan Westbrook:

John Funk:

You don't know how hard it was to keep this article Voltron free :)

Damn professionalism and this-is-serious-legal-reporting, getting in the way of awesome Voltron jokes!

What? Lawsuits are evolving?!
(Pokemon Evolution theme)

(DO DO DOO DOODOODOOdoodoodooDOODOODOODOOOOOOOOOOOO)
Lawsuits evolved into Class-Action Suit!

Class Action Suit learned subpoena!

psrdirector:
and torrent has no other use besides pirating

I've used torrents for things other than pirating copyrighted materials.

I'm glad this is moving forward. I do hope it ends some time in the reasonably foreseeable future, but I'm worried that their anti-piracy defense just might hold up given the current climate which would lead to a lot of problems. Combating piracy is the new "think of the children."

I love these kind of lawsuits against companies that did something stupid.
My question is that if they win, what will happen next.

John Funk:

That comment awards you with +5 internets.

compensation? like what money they lost on buying the ps3 course all they bought it for was the other OS system...
So Sony just have to give em like what the bought it for, but since this is the US they will most likely have to give a lot more than that...

I'm sorry but I just think that US (court system or what it is called?) is silly.

(I might very well be wrong, with what this is all about.)

i want an "Other OS" option! my PC broke so im reduced to using the awkward PS3 browser for my web surfin!

Goddamnit, I wish I could make a hydra based lawsuit pun right now.

psrdirector:
I own a ps3, I dont give two shits about the feature what so ever. and torrent has no other use besides pirating

-> Blizzard uses torrents to update some of their products??? <-
[why do so many poeple ignore that in the first place :/ ? *anti-blizzard-fanboy*]

on topic: I think its a good decision to put it all together, but on the other hand, why is it still running? Sony has no chance to win this case, they need to put the feature back in because they cant afford to compensate every single ps3 owner.
well, at least from my point of view.

While reading this I had to cartoons pop in my head.

The people want Sony to put back the other OS

Then the people called forth their lawyers

It is however very interesting that all seven lawsuits have been combined into one. That will either help us win or cause major issues. While I don't own a PS3 I would love to see more freedom for the user. More opions always makes me happy.

psrdirector:

Oh, you sound SO knowledgeable. My friend's Dad uses torrent programs to receive files from other computers that are too large to be zipped and emailed, and they don't want to be burned and sent physically. You know, for WORK.

psrdirector:

I use BitTorrent all the time for legal downloads. The guy who invented it is a genius.

You should care about this lawsuit, because it may settle the question of whether it is legal for a console manufacturer to remotely remove any functionality at any time without compensating anyone who is affected.

lacktheknack:

psrdirector:

Oh, you sound SO knowledgeable. My friend's Dad uses torrent programs to receive files from other computers that are too large to be zipped and emailed, and they don't want to be burned and sent physically. You know, for WORK.

Don't forget Blizzard and Turbine, who use BT tech.

Major download services are also more frequently offering torrents for distribution, as are small companies who can't afford thousands or millions of centralised multi-gig transfers.

Maybe I watch too much mecha-anime, but am I the only one who saw this thread and thought that they were forming a massive robot to fight the enemy in court, like Phoenix Wright meets Power Rangers?

THAT WOULD BE AWESOME!

oktalist:

psrdirector:

I use BitTorrent all the time for legal downloads. The guy who invented it is a genius.

You should care about this lawsuit, because it may settle the question of whether it is legal for a console manufacturer to remotely remove any functionality at any time without compensating anyone who is affected.

I've been ninja'd!

And yes, why is it that people focus on the "Other OS" facet? This case has nothing to do with "Other OS," short of it being the catalyst.

The case has everything to do with whether or not *anyone* can sell you a device claiming that it has a function, then remove that function later with no penalty. Not merely console manufacturers.

The man who invented bit torrent is a criminal who should be arrested. And Escapist I HAVE NEVER ADVOCATED PIRACY IN ANY AMOUNT AND WILL ALWAYS VIEWS ANYONE WHO PIRATES VIDEO GAMES MORE ANTI GAMING THEN EVERY PERSON WHO WISHS TO BAD THE INDUSTRY!

and I still don't care what so ever about this suit, the other os was a pointless feature

The_root_of_all_evil:
BY YOUR POWERS COMBINED, I AM CAPTAIN LAWSUIT!

Yeah, not as exciting as that really.

Awesome sentence !

on the other hand, we could see Linux on PS3 !!!

RvLeshrac:

oktalist:

psrdirector:

I've been ninja'd!

And yes, why is it that people focus on the "Other OS" facet? This case has nothing to do with "Other OS," short of it being the catalyst.

The case has everything to do with whether or not *anyone* can sell you a device claiming that it has a function, then remove that function later with no penalty. Not merely console manufacturers.

Hmm, that was a side of things I hadn't considered. I knew there was something about Other OS removal that bothered me, but I wasn't ever able to pin what that was, since the Other OS wasn't a feature I'd have ever used. But looking at it as a whole- features that can be removed at any time, well that is a little disturbing.

psrdirector:
The man who invented bit torrent is a criminal who should be arrested. And Escapist I HAVE NEVER ADVOCATED PIRACY IN ANY AMOUNT AND WILL ALWAYS VIEWS ANYONE WHO PIRATES VIDEO GAMES MORE ANTI GAMING THEN EVERY PERSON WHO WISHS TO BAD THE INDUSTRY!

and I still don't care what so ever about this suit, the other os was a pointless feature

Congratulations! You've just made yourself look really stupid on the internet!

As others have pointed out, Bit Torrent is fascinating technology that subverts the traditional client/server model of file distribution by eliminating bottlenecks - if everyone in the world tried to download a file from a traditional download server at once, it would fail. With a torrent, that would just make it go faster, and the cost to the original content provider is a tiny fraction of what traditional file hosting costs, because most of the bandwidth in use is that of your customers. There's a very good reason that Blizzard uses torrents to distribute patches for WoW, as do open source developers and the like - basically, if you were going to give something away for free, there's no good reason not to distribute it via Bit Torrent (unless you hate money).

The potential for abuse is certainly there, and nobody is contesting that most torrent traffic is probably illegal file sharing, but to condemn the protocol itself and call its inventor a criminal who belongs in jail is just a flagrantly retarded thing to do. Seriously.

psrdirector:

If you don't care about the lawsuit, then stop posting here. You've said your piece once, people presented multiple examples of how you were wrong in your statement. At this point you're doing nothing more than trolling.

Gildan Bladeborn:

psrdirector:

Congratulations! You've just made yourself look really stupid on the internet!

As others have pointed out, Bit Torrent is fascinating technology that subverts the traditional client/server model of file distribution by eliminating bottlenecks - if everyone in the world tried to download a file from a traditional download server at once, it would fail. With a torrent, that would just make it go faster, and the cost to the original content provider is a tiny fraction of what traditional file hosting costs, because most of the bandwidth in use is that of your customers. There's a very good reason that Blizzard uses torrents to distribute patches for WoW, as do open source developers and the like - basically, if you were going to give something away for free, there's no good reason not to distribute it via Bit Torrent (unless you hate money).

The potential for abuse is certainly there, and nobody is contesting that most torrent traffic is probably illegal file sharing, but to condemn the protocol itself and call its inventor a criminal who belongs in jail is just a flagrantly retarded thing to do. Seriously.

Bah, I get the feeling that even if Sony do lose A: we won't see a return of the Other OS, B: us normal owners won't see a penny and C: if normal users do see some compensation, people like me who own the Slim model won't since that could be argued as a separate case from the original with its OtherOS functionality.

Drat.

Really loved how you used the image in the article, totally reflects upon the case.

I am glad they are all unified in one case so Sony has more pressure. They cannot wipe them out one by one but rather have to chew and swallow something that's probaly too big. That's justice and karma for ya'.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here