Rumor: New Hulk Found for Avengers Movie [UPDATED]

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Rumor: New Hulk Found for Avengers Movie [UPDATED]

Has a new actor been found to fill the Hulk's purple pants? Sources say yes.

Earlier this month, it was announced that Edward Norton would not be appearing as Bruce Banner in the 2012 Avengers movie. Since then, who would replace him has been the source of much speculation, but sources are suggesting that a replacement has been found, and that it will be Shutter Island actor Mark Ruffalo.

Besides Shutter Island, Ruffalo has appeared in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and Where the Wild Things Are, as well as directing Sympathy for Delicious.

Ruffalo's name came up earlier in the month as one of the actors in the running to play the part, and the last obstacles to him joining the cast were said to be pay and the number of movies that Marvel wanted him to appear in.

There's no official confirmation of the casting yet, but if it proves to be true then Ruffalo will join Samuel L. Jackson, Robert Downey Jr., and Chris Evans - amongst others - in the Joss Whedon directed movie.

UPDATE: The rumors have been now been confirmed as Ruffalo joined the rest of the cast on stage at Comic-Con. Also confirmed is Jeremy Renner, star of the Hurt Locker, as Hawkeye.

Source: Deadline and The Wrap

Well, this makes me sad. Edward Norton is my favorite actor, whereas I don't really care much for Ruffalo.

Oh well, all we can do is wait and see.

Hulk smash puny actor...

I may alone in this but I dont care who plays the hulk. The only thing I care about is that he turns big, green, mean, and causes home and car insurance prices to sky rocket for a hundred miles around him.

I'd heard a Joaquin Phoenix rumor... and I'm not really against Ruffalo, I just feel like there are better choices out there.

Either way, it really just depends on how much significance The Hulk/Bruce have in the film.

I wonder if the part of the Hulk will have some kind of curse that keeps the actor from playing the part again.

I still can't believe they shafted Norton like that. He was a really good Banner...

There will never be a better hulk than Edward Norton. Guess we'll just have to settle for second best(Not saying that's Ruffalo.)

I don't understand why Edward isn't playing the Hulk again, please explain this to me

Deviltongue:
I still can't believe they shafted Norton like that. He was a really good Banner...

If Norton really isn't the primadonna that his representative claims, then he would still be on the project. I loved him as Banner, and in every other move he was in. But if he can't get over himself and share the spotlight, then screw him.

Good luck to the Ruffalo.

That sucks.
I found Ruffalo to be incredibly "meh" in terms of acting, where, while Edward Norton is a dick, he is easily one of the best actors currently working. Still, since Samuel L. Jackson is in the movie, I'm morally inclined to see it, no matter what.

That's unfortunate, I rather like Edward Norton, but I'm willing to give Ruffalo a chance before I pass judgment.

I guess it's give and take though, Joss Whedon is directing, which makes it totally kickass, and Samuel Jackson and Robert Downey Jr. are in it, so if Edward Norton was in it there would be too much awesome to be contained on screen.

Quiet Stranger:
I don't understand why Edward isn't playing the Hulk again, please explain this to me

They made up some rumor that he was hard to work with on the Hulk movie, but I doubt it is true because he actually wrote the Hulk movie under a fake name (look for another Edward). I think they didn't wanna pay him what he deserved...or the script was awful.

I really like Ed Norton, this is a disappointment.

Gah I loved Norton as Banner. We'll see

If they're going with a more Ultimates style for the Marvel movies....why not get Steve Buscemi as Bruce Banner.

I mean, it's even in the damn comic.

Nautical Honors Society:

Quiet Stranger:

They made up some rumor that he was hard to work with on the Hulk movie, but I doubt it is true because he actually wrote the Hulk movie under a fake name (look for another Edward). I think they didn't wanna pay him what he deserved...or the script was awful.

My guess with that is that Norton wanted a main man pay-check, when there is no main-man, but several main-men. Which would mean a smaller pay, and arguments over such, and getting tossed. Just my guess.

I thought Norton made a great Hulk. Sadface.

Such a shame, Edward Norton made a really fun hulk. He nailed the sweet spot of having an equal mix between being down enough about his "condition" to make it believable, whilst having brilliant moments of humour.

Can't say much about Ruffalo, I haven't seen alot of his work.

I wonder how much the Hulk will factor in the Avengers film. Will he be pivotal or more of a periphery character?

I'll happily put my trust in anyone who starred in Eternal Sunshine.

Hmm. Interesting... although there's something I don't like about Ruffalo. He looks like he's permanently just after getting out of bed or something...

Meh.

I want Norton back, I guess! :P

Ya. I heard about this yesterday. I don't like Rufflalo.

JaredXE:
If they're going with a more Ultimates style for the Marvel movies....why not get Steve Buscemi as Bruce Banner.

I mean, it's even in the damn comic.

Buscemi as the Hulk? Yes please! That would make this already geek-gasm of a movie even better.

Meh, I'm okay with it. Ruffalo is great in Eternal Sunshine and Zodiac.

B-but, he made the Hulk movie -good-

Is there a Hulk curse now? You play Hulk once and you get booted. Happened to Bana, Norton, this guy might be next :p

Nautical Honors Society:

Quiet Stranger:

Not true, the director and producers of American History X and The Italian Job complained that he gets into the editing process and makes sure he gets ALOT of screen time. There is no way a guy like that could work with 7-8 stars sharing one screen. Its a fact that he isnt a team player

I love Norton, it's disappointing they're shafting him, and I hope they reconsider.

But I think it's for costs. They're going to have over half a dozen leading men fight for screen time and first billing.

Considering the movie, the cast and what will most likely happen in it, the role of Dr Banner will be a small one indeed.

Jbird:

Deviltongue:

If Norton really isn't the primadonna that his representative claims, then he would still be on the project. I loved him as Banner, and in every other move he was in. But if he can't get over himself and share the spotlight, then screw him.

He did an ensemble cast in the Italian Job. More over he's often paired up with actors who's characters steal the show. To be fair I'm sure he won't work for peanuts either, and Marvel seems to expect exactly that. Chris Evans is getting paid $300k for playing Captain America, which really seems kind of off.

Marvel has said that they feel the actor is not important, people pay to see their heroes. While the new Hulk didn't do great, most of that could be attributed to the fact it was rebooting a franchise from only 5 years ago. I'm sure a fair amount of people, if not most, saw The Incredible Hulk solely because of Norton.

soapyshooter:

Not true, the director and producers of American History X and The Italian Job complained that he gets into the editing process and makes sure he gets ALOT of screen time. There is no way a guy like that could work with 7-8 stars sharing one screen. Its a fact that he isnt a team player

American History X was an amazing movie because of Norton, if he got involved in the editing process to see that he had more screentime, kudos to him. He was the whole damn movie. As for the Italian Job, he really didn't seem to have much screen time, at least not more than the other leads.

I recall hearing he wanted more Bruce Banner in The Incredible Hulk, but hell I did too. The Incredible Hulk was intended to most closely resemble the old TV show, in which we saw Bill Bixby for 40 minutes, and Lou Ferrigno for about 3.

I really like Ruffalo as an actor (he was my favorite character in Zodiac and damn good in Shutter Island), but I'm not sure if he could be Bruce Banner. I liked Norton, but I'm not going to bitch about that. I say we give Ruffalo a shot if it is indeed him. He's surprised me before, I think he can do it again.

Biggest thing that pisses me off about people talking about Mark Ruffalo: no one ever mentions his small but awesome role in Collateral! I can understand why people don't mention The Brothers Bloom, for instance, but Collateral was huge and really helped propel him to his current semi-stardom. Has this movie been completely forgotten already?

they also just confirmed that the dude from Hurt locker....Jeremy Renner will be Hawkeye for the Avengers along with Ruffilo as the Hulk

Eh, not a big Hulk fan, don't really care. I'm sure the masses won't notice.

mindlesspuppet:

Jbird:

Deviltongue:

He did an ensemble cast in the Italian Job. More over he's often paired up with actors who's characters steal the show. To be fair I'm sure he won't work for peanuts either, and Marvel seems to expect exactly that. Chris Evans is getting paid $300k for playing Captain America, which really seems kind of off.

Marvel has said that they feel the actor is not important, people pay to see their heroes. While the new Hulk didn't do great, most of that could be attributed to the fact it was rebooting a franchise from only 5 years ago. I'm sure a fair amount of people, if not most, saw The Incredible Hulk solely because of Norton.

soapyshooter:

American History X was an amazing movie because of Norton, if he got involved in the editing process to see that he had more screentime, kudos to him. He was the whole damn movie. As for the Italian Job, he really didn't seem to have much screen time, at least not more than the other leads.

I recall hearing he wanted more Bruce Banner in The Incredible Hulk, but hell I did too. The Incredible Hulk was intended to most closely resemble the old TV show, in which we saw Bill Bixby for 40 minutes, and Lou Ferrigno for about 3.

There's still no denying that Norton is a primadonna. If the guy was about doing the job, like most actors, then he would have stayed and did is part. If he felt as though Banner wasn't going to get enough screen time, then he should realize that the Avengers aren't about Banner OR Hulk, alone. Besides, if Banner has small part of the film, then Norton could have gone off to do another project after he filmed his scenes. Not much common sense when it comes to the greedy.

They can't choose anyone good to play Bruce Banner. (Ed Norton is my favorite thus far) and although I can't think of anyone right now, I know there are far better choices out there.
They should start finding "nobody" actors.

I personally don't see Mark Ruffalo ever fully portraying the Hulk as it should. He's too damned mellow.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here