Valve Lifts Modern Warfare 2 Bans, Apologizes With Zombies

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Valve Lifts Modern Warfare 2 Bans, Apologizes With Zombies

Valve is handing out free games after a software glitch locked thousands out of their Steam accounts.

Thousands of Modern Warfare 2 players found their Steam accounts banned over the weekend, despite no wrongdoing on their part, thanks to an error made by Valve's anti-cheat software. Valve has now rectified that error, and has given away free copies of Left 4 Dead 2 as an apology.

Anyone who was mistakenly banned received an email from Valve president Gabe Newell, which explained that the bans were due to Modern Warfare 2 failing a signature check after Steam updated the game. He added that it wasn't a game specific issue, and apologized to the 12,000 people affected for any "frustration or angst" the bans might have caused.

Valve has given each affected player a copy of Left 4 Dead 2 to give to a friend, as well as a copy for themselves if they didn't already own it. It's not hard to see why Valve has such a good reputation amongst gamers, as there aren't many companies that would give out two copies of a game to apologise for a mistake. You also have to admire the way Valve has taken what was potentially a PR nightmare and completely turned it around.

Source: Kotaku

Dang!
I would be angry but I already have L4D2. Lucky buggers though.

This is why valve are the good guys of gaming even if they just gave one copy of the game it would have been good but two.As always valve shows the others in the industry how it should be done.

WHY DID I BUY IT FOR PS3? Damn it!

Either way, if you already own this, you officially have 2 copies to give to a friend. If you wish to give it to me, you are my king.

Calumon: We'll buy you a horse and a towel so you can be super cool and manly, as long as you don't use lady scented body wash. Speaking of washing...

Jack: I'm CLEAN! YOU'RE NOT! Unless you wash, you won't be coming to Ibiza with me. I'll leave you with Hubilub or Brad Shepard or someone.

valve really is connected with their fan base and i find the most user friendly.

How lovely of them.

Bravo.

<3 Valve. If only i had MW2:gimp version. XD

tho this is a good example of DRM gone wild! lolz

Valve has an excellent policy when it comes to issues like this:

"Oh snap, we fucked up!"

"BRIBE EVERYONE! EVERYONE!"

Vale are so awesome. This is why everyone loves them.

And this is why the only games I legally own are through valve and their steam client

I WISH i was temporarily affected by this, i could've used a gift copy :c

Then again, i would've probably been very angry if i were affected.

The Red Dragon:

Valve is pretty awesome, too, eh?

Jedoro:

The Red Dragon:

all glory to valve!

We need to send them a monocle, they are complete gents.

They give us Portal for free when we buy the orange box, then they give us Portal again... FOR FREE, then Valve make an error and they give L4D for free?

Jedoro:

The Red Dragon:

On a scale of 1 to awesome, how awesome are they?

Hubilub:

"Oh snap, we fucked up!"

I wish other companies would bribe me for mistakes that affect me >>. I was bribed with some free hair accessories once, but never anything to compensate for my annoyance OO.

They should've given away TF2.

It'd make more sense.

A primarily competitive MP game in exchange for lost time in another competitive MP game.

I'm aware that L4D has Versus, but you know what I mean.

Suki the Cat:

Hubilub:

"Oh snap, we fucked up!"

I wish other companies would bribe me for mistakes that affect me >>. I was bribed with some free hair accessories once, but never anything to compensate for my annoyance OO.

Out of curiosity, exactly what was the incident that earned you some hair accessory bribery?

Jedoro:

The Red Dragon:

Doh! I'm usually very careful with my spelling. I am ashamed.

Valve once again proves that they care about their customers, at least enough to give free games to people on account of their mistake.

I'd like to see another company repay lost game time with another game.

ColdStorage:
We need to send them a monocle, they are complete gents.

They give us Portal for free when we buy the orange box, then they give us Portal again... FOR FREE, then Valve make an error and they give L4D for free?

Jedoro:

The Red Dragon:

They don't fit on that scale, they have their own scale that has an extra marking above 'awesome' called 'Valve rating'. They'd be at 'godly' if it wasn't for Valve time.

Waitwaitwait... so 12,000 people were affected. Each affected person got one or two copies of L4D2.

They gave away between 12,000 and 24,000 copies of a game?!

Wow. I mean, I realise that it doesn't really cost them much, but still... wow.

Valve are good. I think I like them.

This is why even if you don't like Valve's games you have to admit you like Valve itself for everything it does for the fans it has. Giving away around 24,000 copies of L4D2, that is just awesome.

There is no wonder why everyone loves them, they make awesome games, and when they screw up, they give away awesome games to the ones affected by the screw up.
Valve <3

Valve: Sorry activision we messed up bans on your game
Activision: Meh, don't worry just un-ban them
V: Oh we also gave them 24,000 copies of L4D2
A: YOU DID WHAT!?!?!

Damn. I wish this would happen to me!!! But would only be censored L4D2... Never mind. Valve are fucking amazing.

Okay seriously Valve..... seriously..... can you even try to be more awesome? No, seriously. Is that even possible?

GG.

2 copies is a bit much, I paid for L4D2 and only got 1 copy. Doesn't make sense that because of an error people get handed 2 copies of a great game when 1 would do.

What this tells me is that L4D2 recouped it initial investment on the game so there is no real loss here.

And this is why I buy most of my games through Valve.

Sure, it's convenient, but the company deserves my support.

So not only did they lift the ban, they also gave 2 copies of a much better game as an apology?

Awesome.

Well played by valve, fine work.

Name any other company that would have done that.

That's why people love Valve.

ColdStorage:

Jedoro:

The Red Dragon:

I believe the correct answer is "Quite Awesome."

The Red Dragon:

Jedoro:

The Red Dragon:

Doh! I'm usually very careful with my spelling. I am ashamed.

No worries, I'm just bored cause it's 6AM

If someone of the banned guys does not have friends, or has me as a steam friend, send me a copy :D
Now this is the reason I respect valve. Quality games, low prices, love us PC users and are just plain awesome. The only way this could be better, is to give us a Half-life 3 trailer.

tehroc:
2 copies is a bit much, I paid for L4D2 and only got 1 copy. Doesn't make sense that because of an error people get handed 2 copies of a great game when 1 would do.

L4D2 is a co-op game......if you don't have any friends who play you might not enjoy it as much.
Handing out a second copy is actually what makes this so great, not everyone enjoys playing with random people.
Especially in L4D(2) it can be a real pain.

OT: Valve......Will you marry me?

What awesome person wants to gift me their extra L4D2? I still don't have it and didn't get banned.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here