Real ID Announcement Part of Plan, Says Blizzard

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Real ID Announcement Part of Plan, Says Blizzard

Blizzard says that it had been seeking feedback when it announced that real names would be mandatory on its forums.

Earlier this month, Blizzard surprised pretty much everyone by announcing that in order to use its forums in the future, people would have to use the Real ID service and post under their real names. The idea proved unpopular and Blizzard changed its mind just days later, but senior executive Michael Ryder said that the announcement had been part of a process, and a successful one at that.

Ryder said that Blizzard put a lot of stock into the views of its players, and always sought the opinions of the community before it made this kind of decision. Blizzard hadn't been surprised to receive feedback, he said, as that was exactly what it had wanted.

Ryder said that the process had been successful in this instance, and Blizzard had been able to take the community's feedback and consider it along with all the other factors before making its final decision. "Ultimately we decided we would not go in that direction for the time being," he said. "And see if there were other ways we could address the objective we had, which was to improve the forums generally."

Source: Eurogamer

So basically this is like when you do something unimaginably stupid and quickly say to cover your ass: I meant to do that.

Kinda like the proverbial "I wanted to do that" statement after you accidentally tripped and got pie in your face. :P

Nice try. XD

If that was the case then why not just ask the community instead of throwing it on them and then retracting it? There's no way this was a test because all it did was hurt their image...

This sounds kind of hokey. The whole "that's what we were intending all along" thing never really sounds legit. Announcing that you're going to be changing the system is not the same as asking for feedback. I think they're trying to make it seem less like a stupid mistake.

I'm sorry Mr Ryder, but I don't believe you. If you had wanted to test the community on the issue, you wouldn't have forced it straight off, only to look bad when you have to remove it. This is face saving, nothing more.

Covering-your-ass 101: Say it was all part of your plan.

LOL! Heh...I think the best way to reply to this would be with a single, time-honored internet phrase.

"Cool story, bro."

It reminds me of someone standing up for something on an internet forum, then getting popular opinion turned against them radically and *then* coming out to say "Only hahahahaha no, you see - I trolled u! It was all part of my grandmaster plan!" when it backfires on them.

I still like RealID as an optional thing, don't get me wrong. But please...imagewise, saying something like this is not quite helping I think. Also, the 'improving the forums' objective statement really isn't fooling anyone but the casuals at this point, though I suppose that is a market to which Blizzard finds itself catering moreso these days so...at least points for that. ;)

We see what your doing there Blizzard.

D_987:
If that was the case then why not just ask the community instead of throwing it on them and then retracting it? There's no way this was a test because all it did was hurt their image...

Actually you can pretty much guarantee that they got far more feedback from telling everybody they were going to do it than if they had "asked". Whether or not that had been their actual intent is still hazy though.

Edit: I want Local LAN play in SCII without involving Battle.net now please.

Blizzard's main plan is to clean up the forums and the Real ID was one idea that they were going to go forward with. Ya, this is a cop out, but shouldn't we be cheering them on for doing something to counteract the trolling?

KEM10:
Blizzard's main plan is to clean up the forums and the Real ID was one idea that they were going to go forward with. Ya, this is a cop out, but shouldn't we be cheering them on for doing something to counteract the trolling?

Not really, because as stated many times over by observers, it's not about trolling on the forums. It's about marketing, making the system more compatible with arena.net and facebook so as to increase social networking and marketing potential.

But really...why bother repeating this to people at this point. As I wrote in another thread...can't this issue just die already? It's incredibly transparent and boring to me personally at least. But I suppose Blizzard wants to keep it going for a bit longer with press statements like this so... :p

You know, I would have respected them if they came out, said they were taking the piss, and left us with the words "Deal with it".

Trying to make it seem like he meant it or w/e doesn't work for me.

Logan Westbrook:

Ryder said that Blizzard put a lot of stock into the views of its players, and always sought the opinions of the community before it made this kind of decision. Blizzard hadn't been surprised to receive feedback, he said, as that was exactly what it had wanted.

Oh really?

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/102355-BioWare-Mythic-Surprised-by-Blizzard-Real-ID-Plans : Blizzard badly misread its community, says BioWare Mythic's general manager. - Nilcypher

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101946-Blizzard-is-Definitely-Listening-to-Real-ID-Feedback : Blizzard has noticed and is "definitely listen to player feedback," a rep told Gamasutra. "[We] will be carefully monitoring how people are using the service. Real ID is a new and different concept for Blizzard gamers - and for us as well - and our goal is to create a social gaming service that players want to use." - Malygris

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.210182-Blizzard-Nixes-Plans-to-Require-Real-Names : In response to overwhelmingly negative feedback, Blizzard has changed its plans to display users' real names on its forums. - John Funk

If you can't convince your peers, you really can't convince your public.

What you could do is...say...give away a free game to counteract that bad marketing hit?

Now, I'm no great marketing manager but given that Starcraft 2 is out sometime...perhaps there's another title in your back-catalog that you could release to all those on Battlenet?

Something about CRAFTing in STARS?

Something people might want to play?

Something that might give people the idea you care about your PR face?

A STARt to your new CRAFT?

The_root_of_all_evil:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.210182-Blizzard-Nixes-Plans-to-Require-Real-Names : In response to overwhelmingly negative feedback, Blizzard has changed its plans to display users' real names on its forums. - John Funk

The Escapist publishing an article claiming that Blizzard changed their plans, does not mean that Blizzard THEMSELVES would use the expressions "changed" (which would have been contrary to their new statement of seeking feedback, indeed).

That said, if they only sought feedback, why not ask the community about their opinions on the upcoming RealID system before actually announcing it?

Loonerinoes:
Not really, because as stated many times over by observers, it's not about trolling on the forums. It's about marketing, making the system more compatible with arena.net and facebook so as to increase social networking and marketing potential.

Oh yes, having an MMO with social network capabilities is so outlandish. Heaven forbid that you are playing with real people and Blizzard is trying to smooth along that process.

Ayjona:

The_root_of_all_evil:

The Escapist publishing an article claiming that Blizzard changed their plans, does not mean that Blizzard THEMSELVES would use the expressions "changed" (which would have been contrary to their new statement of seeking feedback, indeed).

Nope, but given members of the Escapist are games journalists who have an active love of Blizzard, if their reporting is "unfavourable" to the company line; then you have to wonder where the company line is coming from.

And it sounds like the place where spiders webs come from.

KEM10:

Loonerinoes:

Oh yes, having an MMO with social network capabilities is so outlandish. Heaven forbid that you are playing with real people and Blizzard is trying to smooth along that process.

*sigh*

Heaven forbid, that people should be FORCED into revealing real life information to people you don't even know rather than being presented with it as an OPTION.

There's an important distinction between the two and while Blizzard first wanted to push for the first, they later chose the second.

That spin would make Andre Agassi proud.

The_root_of_all_evil:

Ayjona:

The_root_of_all_evil:

Nope, but given members of the Escapist are games journalists who have an active love of Blizzard, if their reporting is "unfavourable" to the company line; then you have to wonder where the company line is coming from.

Iz it Cavez? O.o

The_root_of_all_evil:

I actually expect them to be journalists, and report (reasonably) unbiased by their love of any game company ;)

But yeah, the reactions of journalists alone should have been enough feedback for Blizzard.

Yeah, yeah, sure, Blizzard. We believe you.

(*pats* Michael Ryder on the head)

Now, tell me, what happened to the plan when you announced LAN support would be removed and everybody either didn't care or was against it?.

So, when something goes horribly wrong, try to spin it positive.

Have these guys been talking to Sony recently, or maybe Tony Blair?

For some reason, I am reminded of the Joker's speach about 'the plan' and how people will do accept anything that's part of it...

Ken Sapp:

D_987:

Actually you can pretty much guarantee that they got far more feedback from telling everybody they were going to do it than if they had "asked". Whether or not that had been their actual intent is still hazy though.

Edit: I want Local LAN play in SCII without involving Battle.net now please.

They gained more feedback yes; but it also tarnished their image; hence the point that if their intent was truly to raise it as an idea they should have asked, not claimed it was definitive...

I have to stop myself from posting in any RealID thread from this point on, I swear. But if I had to sum up the entire story by now, it'd have to be by imagining Blizzard to be one of my all-time favourite and funniest white knights within the following clip. Everyone responds well to the 'law' when you command them to accept it after all. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itmNiTwHOsM

Yeah, it's too bad "pretending" SCII doesn't have any LAN support wasn't part of the plan too. :(

Well to step away from the people bashing Blizzard for trying something at least they listened to the complaints and people should just forget because as of now they don't care about your opinions on this matter.

Premonition:
So basically this is like when you do something unimaginably stupid and quickly say to cover your ass: I meant to do that.

I see it more like they said "Free guns for 5 year olds coming soon." and the public saying "that's a terrible idea!" followed by them saying "Nevermind no guns for kids." and trying to cover it up with "That was a test you passed public."

Couldn't they have achieved the same thing by openly have a sort of survey or something? Provided this way the plan from the start that is to say.

why do I get the feeling some manager was trolled and thats how this whole thing came to be

Right. Of course. That's more pathetic than my attempts at school to exlain why I didn't do my homework. And it still doesn't adress the question how someone could have even thought a horrible idea like this would be worth putting out there.

Falke:
Right. Of course. That's more pathetic than my attempts at school to exlain why I didn't do my homework. And it still doesn't adress the question how someone could have even thought a horrible idea like this would be worth putting out there.

Everyone else works under them, ignorance is bliss & assuming most people are generally good-hearted in person. That's my guess anyways.

I'm not really sure I believe that... but then again Blizzard does have a good track record when it comes to its customers. Alot better than most anyway. Maybe this guy is saying this because it was Activision that tried to force this RealID thing, but Blizzard does not want it publically known that they hated the idea about as much as the players did. Therefore, they made the announcement in order to prove a point to their Activision bosses, and yet they would manage to still maintain the pretense that Blizzard gives a damn what Activision thinks. That would make sense to me, anyway.

Or maybe its just wishful thinking. ;P

Well, if they were seeking feedback, it certainly got the community listening!

Ahh the "we totally meant to do that" school of public relations... yeah... right...

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here