Hellboy Director Switches to Videogames

Hellboy Director Switches to Videogames

Hellboy director and gaming fan Guillermo del Toro has revealed that he has a "big deal" to make videogames with a "big company."

In June, del Toro announced that he was pulling out of The Hobbit, which he had been set to direct, saying that the long, unstable production schedule was beginning to conflict with other commitments. He didn't go into details, but perhaps this one of those commitments: A move from the cinematic arts into videogame creation.

"One of the things we're announcing in the next few weeks is a big deal with a big company. We're going to do games that are going to be technically and narratively very interesting," del Toro recently told MTV. "It's not a development deal. We're going to do it. We're doing them. And we're going to announce it soon enough."

He declined to get into specifics, saying that the "big company" in question "would probably shoot me in the head" if he spilled the beans now. But it's fun to note that last year, del Toro claimed there would be no videogame tie-in to The Hobbit movie because taking on both projects at once would be "too ambitious." With the film no longer on his plate, is it possible he'll be at the helm of a Hobbit videogame after all?

The movie people going into video games is whats wrong with the industry, they are trying to make games that work like a movie, short and straight forward.

Now this proves there is a God.

This guy has legendary artistic vision. I am very pleased with this.

Personally, I love Del Toros work and am curious to see how this venture works out for him. But im still waiting for 'At The Mountains of Madness'

I really hope this guy is doing something other then a simple movie tie. As long has he understands that games=/=movies, then we should be fine. Games with the vision of one single guy then by comminty is something we haven't gotten outside of Nintendo or the Indie market in quite awhile.

sturryz:
The movie people going into video games is whats wrong with the industry, they are trying to make games that work like a movie, short and straight forward.

So I'm guessing you didn't like portal? I think it could be good news, but we'll just have to wait and see what he comes up with.

Queen Michael:

After Hellboy 2, I have to disagree...

Assassin Xaero:

Queen Michael:

You didn't like Hellboy 2?

Assassin Xaero:

Queen Michael:

Finally! Someone else who thinks Hellboy 2 sucked. I thought I was the only one...

But yeah, aside from the Hellboy flicks I haven't seen any of his other work so I'm not sure if this is good or not. Sturryz does have a point though, in that it doesn't make much sense for a movie person to be making games.

As long as whatever game he makes doesn't include something like the weird eye-hand guy from Pan's Labyrinth, I'll probably look into it.
But after seeing how much stuff from his sketchbooks go into his movies, I doubt it'll go without a little bit of "WTF".

Well, hopefully he can continue making great games like he made good films.

I just hope he dosnt fall flat on his face

Bleh, I'm starting to see a pattern here...and very soon another director or whatever will be recruited by another big name.

Hopefully this'll mean more games with the look/feel of Pan's Labyrinth. Del Toro has a lot of potential despite some of his past gaffes. That said, Hellboy 2 blew because it killed the franchise with a poorly written plot, and Elfman's limp-wristed score didn't help. If they had stuck to the direction the Hellboy story was taking in the books (Nazis, eldritch horror, and Hellboy's struggle against his "fate") then it would have been a better movie.

Personally I though the Hellboy/BPRD franchise, with its dark, eldritch horror themes and rich universe, would be a fantastic animated series, and don't understand why Mignola has never tried to push something along those line. It'd even be good as a live-action show; better than the endless Stargate-dreck that SyFy put out.

If they make a new Hobbit game based on the book and not the movie, I'm game. I enjoyed the old Hobbit game. It would be nice to have an update.

But if this is just another movie tie in, I'm not all that excited. The LOTR games were just okay at best.

So what?

It's not like that's something particularly good to be looking forward.

Wardnath:

Assassin Xaero:

Queen Michael:

You didn't like Hellboy 2?

The first was good the second just sucked... I will admit I liked the end when they said:

This is great, hopefully we will get a great game if everything goes smoothly.
BTW didn't Peter Jackson expressed interest in making a videogame?

well, I can see this going two ways:

Either he goes "woo, let's make it like cinema", and the game sucks.

Or he'll be like a bloodier Tim Schafer.

blade vampire beatemup

that is all

Ok. Either this could really create some great things or the mans having a midlife crisis. He's also making another Haunted Mansion disney movie so I'm going to go with the later.

Still, love Lan's Labyrinth. If he can apply something like that to video games...Well it'll certainly be interesting. At least the monster design on whatever he has in mind is guaranteed to be amazing.

FreelanceButler:
As long as whatever game he makes doesn't include something like the weird eye-hand guy from Pan's Labyrinth, I'll probably look into it.
But after seeing how much stuff from his sketchbooks go into his movies, I doubt it'll go without a little bit of "WTF".

You didn't like the weird hand-eye guy?! Who doesn't like the weird hand-eye guy!?! That's one of the best monsters I've ever seen in a movie.

Hellboy 2 was awesome, I don't care what anyone says, and a guy as creative as Del Toro could be what the industry needs.

Psychotic-ishSOB:
Hellboy 2 was awesome, I don't care what anyone says, and a guy as creative as Del Toro could be what the industry needs.

Hellboy 2 LOOKED awesome, it's just the story that really sucked balls. and the whole dark elf thing, i friggin hate dark elves these days they're so over-done.

But the main point is that Del Toro has amazing artistic vision AND the skill to pull it off in multiple medias. I just finished reading an amazing book by him called "The Thirst", its basically Blade 2 vampires taking over New York. This just proves that anything this guy puts his hand to will end up an imaginative masterpiece.

Looking forward to what this holds for us.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

God I hope he doesn't get his hands on any games I was going to look forward to.

Fuck yes. He's one of my all time favorite directors/producers after the brilliance of Pan's Labyrinth so I'm excited to see what he'd bring to the videogame world

sturryz:

I wouldn't really include Del Torro in that group just yet... sure he is a film director, but his rather unique perspective and approach to filmmaking might translate to games, and something interesting might come out of it... provided that he LISTENS to the advice he gets from people with more experience in this field when he is told that something will "absolutely NOT work for a video game"... (I'm looking at you Clive Barker).

Heh And I was thinking to myself while watching Pan's that a lot of it could make for a pretty good videogame too. Del Toro doesn't always hit things out of the park (see Hellboy 2), but he definitely has the kind of creative vision that could make for some great games if he gets the right development staff working with him.

his artistic vision definitely will be a huge pay off for him in Video Games.
I'm not sure about the Hobbit, but I have hopes that he won't just pigeon-hole himself into survival/surrealist horror games.

I mean sure he has a gift for creating horrifically beautiful creatures, but I think a decent fantasy game could easily come of it.

Will have to look out for this.

I remember him mentioning quite a while back that he really wanted to go into game design after he was finished with his current projects. I'm glad to see that he's kept to that wish, it sounded like he really did appreciate the intricacies of making a game - it'll be very interesting to see what comes out of this.

I'm in a bit of a conflict here: I LOVE Del Toro, but I don't like movie people getting involved in video games. I'd like to see what he can make before I make a decision.

I am just glad he got out of the Hobbit, he can take his 'artistic vision' somewhere it might be wanted.

C'mon Peter Jackson!

Maybe making a Hobbit game ala American McGee with his twisted vision put into The Hobbit... that would be interesing.

Damn it, stupid Chrome and stupid shitty Internet, sorry for double posting.

Oh.. My... GoD! I can't wait to se what it it! Thankfully he go away from Peter Jackson and can go on to make awesome projects like he usually does!

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here