BioWare "Made a Big Mistake" With Mass Effect on iPhone

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Don't worry: BioWare hated the Mass Effect iPhone game, too.

Last summer, a number of gamers with iPhones bought Mass Effect: Galaxy to learn about the story between Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2. The game wasn't really that great, thanks to some awkward controls, and the players quickly lost interest in the title. It turns out that BioWare knows the game was flawed, and is now admitting to the misfire.

According to Dr. Greg Zeschuk in an interview with Videogamer, "Oh, I think [the game] was very worth attempting. Even when something's not as successful as you'd like, you can take some lessons away and apply them, right? For us, that's kind of where humility comes in, to eat the humble pie on the Mass iPhone game [laughs] and go, 'Yeeeaaah, we made a big mistake,' in the sense that we thought story could carry it."

Zeschuk backtracked about that last comment, stating that the game wasn't necessarily a mistake, although, "as much as we took a guess, our guess was wrong, and we learned something in the process ... unless your game is utterly designed about tactile gameplay, you shouldn't release it. That was good information for us to have."

In spite of the game's less-than-stellar execution, BioWare is still considering the iPhone as a viable platform to use in the future. "We'll explore stuff," Zeschuk noted. "For us, it may be things that link into other games. It's the cross-platform nature of the potential platform, like an iPhone app able to somehow access one of the other games' universes, or something. That would be really cool."

Source: Videogamer via Joystiq

Why did they even bother with this?

Actually this is the first time I hear of this game's existence, but whatever.

Wait, Mass Effect came to the iPhone?

Well that's an idea doomed to fail.

Haha, didn't Greg Zezchuk say they were going to focus on stuff like this? Seems they won't be if it failed.

Hee hee. Never tried it myself but yeah...I was rather intrigued by it getting slammed as opposed to the other two Mass Effects...but I thought "Ah well...they must be experimenting with the medium or somesuch and apparently relying on trial and error in this case."

Glad to see this kind of admission I s'pose. Also, nice screenshot.

well thats giving the finger to all the mass effect fans who brought this crappy app.
(what is up with that art style anyway? could it be less ME?)

GeneticallyModifiedDucks:
Why did they even bother with this?

Actually this is the first time I hear of this game's existence, but whatever.

I thought I was the only one who was kept out of a loop. I was sure that by this point in time anything concerning bioware and mass effect would be heard around the entire gaming community.0_0

But hey, thats what informative sites like the escapist are for. Keeping us in the known unknown.

Noooo! Take the lesson you learned from Galaxy as insentive to stay the hell away from the Iphone.

We do not need to further the delusions that the thing is good for game playing.

I still love you BioWare

Oh I remember playing that game once, I thought it was ok. I did loved the cartoony art style.

But yeah its wasn't all that well received, so I think its for the best that Bioware not make games for the iPhone.

metroidgearsolid:
well thats giving the finger to all the mass effect fans who brought this crappy app.
(what is up with that art style anyway? could it be less ME?)

Reminds me of penny arcade (mostly the guy on the right). If they were to actually go for the real thing, I would totally buy it.

they did this when?

Ohh god that is some ugleh art, never actually bothered to look into the game or an I-phone for that matter seems I wasnt missing much. And seriously bleeech it's sad when you can make that Vandal Hearts sequel art look appealing.

They should do another online flash game like they did for DA:O with Dragon Age Journeys. It provided a bit of info about the world and unlocked items in game.

I didn't know they even made one but one look at that screenshot and I can see why they apologized.

I'm so fucking sick of hearing about bioware on this site. THEY SUCK.

MaVeN1337:

Hey, this is Bioware country.

vansau:

Don't worry: BioWare hated the Mass Effect iPhone game, too.

Last summer, a number of gamers with iPhones bought Mass Effect: Galaxy to learn about the story between Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2. The game wasn't really that great, thanks to some awkward controls, and the players quickly lost interest in the title. It turns out that BioWare knows the game was flawed, and is now admitting to the misfire.

According to Dr. Greg Zeschuk in an interview with Videogamer, "Oh, I think [the game] was very worth attempting. Even when something's not as successful as you'd like, you can take some lessons away and apply them, right? For us, that's kind of where humility comes in, to eat the humble pie on the Mass iPhone game [laughs] and go, 'Yeeeaaah, we made a big mistake,' in the sense that we thought story could carry it."

Zeschuk backtracked about that last comment, stating that the game wasn't necessarily a mistake, although, "as much as we took a guess, our guess was wrong, and we learned something in the process ... unless your game is utterly designed about tactile gameplay, you shouldn't release it. That was good information for us to have."

In spite of the game's less-than-stellar execution, BioWare is still considering the iPhone as a viable platform to use in the future. "We'll explore stuff," Zeschuk noted. "For us, it may be things that link into other games. It's the cross-platform nature of the potential platform, like an iPhone app able to somehow access one of the other games' universes, or something. That would be really cool."

Source: Videogamer via Joystiq

At least Dr. Zeschuk admitted the fact that the game wasn't as good as it could have been. I'm glad to see someone learning on failure as well as success, instead of how the industry can be at times where developers immediately jump to defending. Acknowledging a failure and using it as a learning experience may not hold much immediate value in terms of profit, but if you take lessons you learn from that failure, your future successes will likely be at least a little bit greater.

Dr. wonderful:

MaVeN1337:

Would you rather hear about the Activision-Infinity Ward thing again? Perhaps some EA merger maybe? There's lots of things you'll hear about constantly, and I think Bioware isn't too bad when you think about the other things out there that are going on.

I didn't even know this game existed O_o

Well good for Bioware on admitting it sucked :P

metroidgearsolid:

Seems more like a veiled apology than a "fuck everyone who was dumb enough to buy our game".

TheAceTheOne:

Dr. wonderful:

MaVeN1337:

Would you rather hear about the Activision-Infinity Ward thing again? Perhaps some EA merger maybe? There's lots of things you'll hear about constantly, and I think Bioware isn't too bad when you think about the other things out there that are going on.

Hmm, why did I just get qouted for?

I mean, It's nice and all, but you should qoute ace, I already said my two cents.

MaVeN1337:

So don't read the articles on them, then. Problem solved.

controls tend to be a problem with iPhone games buttt the screenshot actually got me interested

MaVeN1337:

Stop clicking on Bioware articles then. I am sick of hearing people bitch about things they can more easily avoid then comment on.

I also don't see this Bioware fetish you are hinting about on this site at all. Perhaps you are just to busy fixating on how much you hate Bioware to notice that there is far more news around.

OT: I intensely dislike Apple as a company because of their use of cult branding, and I mostly ignore things they do. Which is probably why I never heard of this game before now. I suppose its bad in a way that I am glad this failed. There are far better platforms for a mobile game out there. Ones that don't have sluggish and or unresponsive touch screens, that have buttons for inputs, ones that usually cost less then the iPhone. They all lack the market presence of the iPhone through. Sad.

MaVeN1337:

Hey, this is way better than another stupid "Michael Pachter says _______" article.

As for Mass Effect Galaxy, of course it stunk. What do you expect when trying to make a game for a cell phone?

When did they do this?

Well, I suppose they admitted it was a mistak...glad I didnt get it now...iPhone, not good for big ol;' storytelling really

Mass Effect: Galaxy came out on June 22, 2009. Too bad it couldn't compare to the Xbox 360 games or, for that matter, even other games on the iPhone.

I actually kinda liked the iPhone game, it wasn't too bad. It wasn't really a Mass Effect game though and the story didn't quite tie in as strongly as I would have liked. But it was quite fun. The worst thing was that upon completion it promised bonuses in Mass Effect 2 but they never surfaced.

To be fair, Jacob was far more likable in the iPhone game than he was in Mass Effect 2. Which is a pity.

vansau:

MaVeN1337:

I just don't understand the appeal.

MaVeN1337:

vansau:

MaVeN1337:

They have some good immersive dialogue and solid gameplay. I'm not the biggest fan myself but it's not too hard to see why people like their games.

Way on spot Bioware, you make a tendency to comment on really past events like the RealID and the rest. I am glad you admitted it, but could have been faster. Focus on your games, talking to the press and all isn't your strongest trait it seems.

MaVeN1337:

vansau:

MaVeN1337:

Really? I just thought the appeal was that I wrote the article. People love me ;)

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here