Experimental Game Controller Can Scald or Freeze

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Man, I think rumble is a gimmick. (You can feel everything your character feels! As long as you pretend your character is unable to feel any sensation anywhere but his hands! COMPLETE REALISM FOR THE SUFFERERS OF SEVERE DISORDERS!) This is like a super ultra mega gimmick.

If only heat and cold were enough to let a blind person play, there would be blind players tournament around rumble controllers already. I know I said I don't like rumble in the previous sentence, but if you need to relay information to someone who can't see you can do a lot worse than an instant tactile sensation that can change duration or intensity. One of the ways you can do a lot worse is if you based it on something that cannot be perceived when it's subtle, can be painful when it's extreme, and may take a few seconds for the brain to understand.

Sounds like I'm the only one who thinks this is stupid...

How am supposed to effectively react to incoming missiles in Armored Core, if i have stiff fingers, from playing on an ice map.

I'd rather spend my waste-cash on that cyborg potato-chip arm.

Talk about a misleading title dude.

Sounds alright, it'd be interesting to have something other than rumble for once.

Ertol:
Sounds cool if you were playing Lost Planet or something, but where is the application for a regular FPS?

Guns get hot

JohnSmith:
So it can't actually scald or freeze at all, hyperbole is for print articles that have to be purchased I'm already on the site reading the articles.

OT: Interesting idea but probably to irritating to those people who know not the wonders of year round climate control, where I live It hits 0 Celsius or less during winter and 38 celsius plus in summer so it would be horrible unless you could turn of the function when it was just to extreme relative to the ambient temperatures. Also wouldn't this mean either a large battery pack or a return to wired controllers. I would have to wonder what the failure mode and frequency would be with this since rapid cycle temperature change is to electronics what a pen in the eye is to a human.

Thats all, I was worried about a "you only turn off the freeze/heat mode buy bying our dlc"
I wouldnt put it past some companies.

Why it would be cool: if this was used to enhance games on the market or in development. The first thing that came to mind was Metal Gear Solid, when you have to change the key card by going into the different rooms? sneaking over the molten slag would take on a new meaning if your hands were actually sweating from the heat. Or the battle with Sniper Wolf? trying to aim the rifle while actually feeling the chill of the air on your fingers would be great!

Why this is most likely suck: Because games will be designed totally around this, not as a method to add to the game play, but as a selling point for the whole idea of the game. I don't think anyone could make an interesting game out of temperature, and i'm not looking forward to "Steve Fuckbox's Weather Forecasting Shitfest 2011"

Hm... an interesting idea, but not really practical as a mainstream thing. Though I can appreciate the idea of it being used to help blind people game. The only game I can really think of where such a controller would come in "handy" (if you can call it useful) would be the Metroid Prime games, and those games do a good enough job of immersing you within the game without the need of a fancy game.

That said, something like this feels like it would just be a crutch for good artistic design in a game. Why go through the effort of making an area immersing when you can just program a controller to heat-up a little?

now if only they could make one that shocks you when ever you take a hit.

Step one: Make new technology where a controller can turn hotter or colder.
Step two: The japanese get their hands on it and then make the entire thing out of soft, fleshlike silicon with a hole in the bottom and use the warming feature in all future "platinum" games.

Ahh the world is a beautiful place. XD

In other news that would have been ideal for Cryostasis. Screw health/heat bar. You have to pay attention to how warm or cold your hands are.

Everything starts with babysteps, next ten yesrs who knows what these will be like.

I can already sense a problem in the midst here. If the controller heats up, what is going to keep it in check that the board inside the controller doesn't get so hot that it begins to melt the solder on the wires? Get into a "hot" situation and all of a sudden your controller stops working because something came detached. Great idea!
Motion controls are so two years ago. Let's make a controller that can scald or cause numbness during gameplay. Is there any way we can get it to shoot acid into people's faces too? How about one that causes sterility?

I'd rather see them spend money on making games better, and let's leave all the immersion technology to a much later date. This is just another gimmick to get you to ignore how bad a game is by keeping you too busy making sure your controller doesn't catch on fire.

Ertol:
Sounds cool if you were playing Lost Planet or something, but where is the application for a regular FPS?

when your arm is crispy then your gun is overheating XD

Sounds good for shooting games...as the weapon ingame heats up, so does your controller.

Ofcourse on it's own this is a gimmick, but when properly implemented I think it can really add immersion. You could call stereo sound a gimmick too, but I'd bet no one here plays game on mono.

Quick, let's hate on it! It isn't good enough! I don't care that I haven't even tried it!

Please. It's a good thing people are looking for new ways to immerse players in their enviroments. If you don't like it - don't use it, right?

You know what I'd use it for? Penalizing.
Imagine; you're playing an online FPS, and you decide to hack. Some guy reports it, there's proof of it, and you're given a warning. You decide "Nah, I'm to awesome for them to do something." And keep hacking. Then you smell something. And your hands feel funny. You look down to see the controler has BURTN YOUR HANDS OFF! Try hacking now, stumpy!
Ok, that was extreme, but it illustrates my point in how this can discourage people from doing stuff like that when it makes their controler too hot or cold to touch, leaving them a sitting duck. 2-for-1, baby!
Either that or the controler heats up and vibrates to give you a relaxing masage when you've died so many times you're about to go into a nerd rage. Penalizing jerks and soothing the irritated.
As long as they don't make it part of actual gameplay, I'm fine with this.

Carlston:
Solid Snake "Otacon, I am putting my thumb on this oven...it is part of my plan to get the plans to metal gear!"

Otacon "Snake make sure you have a plate of Ice cubes next to you!"

Snake "Right, not shamelessly plugging a pointless technology again... this is all part of the plot!"

Silly thing is, Metal Gear Solid games always have some 'break the fourth wall' moments.

This I expect to happen if Kojima uses this tech for a future MGS game.
I completely expect this. He must be taking notes just about now..

looks promising

JoobNoob:

Carlston:
Solid Snake "Otacon, I am putting my thumb on this oven...it is part of my plan to get the plans to metal gear!"

Otacon "Snake make sure you have a plate of Ice cubes next to you!"

Snake "Right, not shamelessly plugging a pointless technology again... this is all part of the plot!"

Silly thing is, Metal Gear Solid games always have some 'break the fourth wall' moments.

This I expect to happen if Kojima uses this tech for a future MGS game.
I completely expect this. He must be taking notes just about now..

Damn I knew I would encourage him.

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.