IKEA Brings Portal To Life

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

IKEA Brings Portal To Life

Valve's portal gun from Portal and the upcoming Portal 2 isn't real, or is it?

A Swedish man has created the perfect room accessory for any Portal fan. Using a $15 Kolja mirror from IKEA, he now has a portal on his wall.

Gamereactor has the visual tutorial on how to make it, but it's pretty simple. Buy an oval shaped mirror. Paint the edges of it blue. Hang it on the wall. You're done.

It's so simple it's pedestrian, but you've got to admit the Portal mirror is really cool. The only way to get something more realistic on your wall would be to invent and implement GlaDOS into a secret facility, and that wouldn't be good for anyone. Either that or someone could make two of these out of oval-shaped LCD screens that show a camera feed of what each other are pointed at. That doesn't sound very hard at all.

If you make one, don't be silly and break it by trying to jump in. At the best, you'll get shards of mirror in your face. At the worst, you'll end up in a faraway place where an intelligent AI program will be trying to kill you, that you defeat, but then somehow recaptures you for an even harsher sequel.

Via: Bitmob

That does look pretty cool actually. The LCD camera feed thing sounds even cooler. I want some rich geek to get started on that right now!

I must have it. I must!

I think I just found my new home-warming gift for my new apartment!

----------------

I would definitely get another one, colour it orange, and arrange them to face each other, thus creating an infinite portal tunnel!

And then I'd get dizzy and fall over.

Of course, it works even better if you put an orange portal mirror on the opposite wall.

EDIT: Damn it, beaten to the punch.

Simple yet effective...you monster.

...This...is genious...

Unless you have another mirror on the opposite wall outlined in orange, I don't see the novelty in it.

It's simply brilliant. It just gives that ilusion and works perfectly if you ask me. Genius!

he should make an orange one directly across that would be awesome...

I honestly can't believe I didn't think to do this myself. It's so simple it's genius!

I must make one...For Science!..You monster.

Tom Goldman:

The only way to get something more realistic on your wall would be to invent and implement GlaDOS into a secret facility, and that wouldn't be good for anyone. Either that or someone could make two of these out of oval-shaped LCD screens that showed a camera feed of what each other were pointed at. That doesn't sound very hard at all.

:O
Ok, so now you need to head off to the bank. Get a loan. Make a prototype. Patent it. Go into production. Sell that shit to geeks everywhere. Become rich. Develope a secret facility...

I want it now! TO IKEA! OORAH!

I actually thought for a second that IKEA had perfected Portal technology -.-

Hm, there's an Ikea where I live. If only I had a car...

If he put an orange one on the opposite wall, then it'd really look like a portal when you stand directly in front of it.

Make an orange one, then you'll be thinking with portals.

Nice idea, but it's impossible to create a mirror portal like that, because the blue and orange portals would have to be on the same spot - or be one and the same, which you can't do in Portal. So let me be the first to point out;

FAKE!

That's awesome. Not much more to say about it really.

It looks pretty cool from the side, but it obviously doesn't work if you're standing infront of it. But you can always make an orange one and hang it one the opposing wall...

My nearest Ikea is 70 miles away!

*runs to train station*

I will go to my Ikea when it smells less of burning tyres.

Time to get myself down to IKEA. Get me some meatballs while I'm there.

The websites in Swedish by the way.

OT: I want that. Now.

Nerd-

Gah-

Zum.

Ah yeah.

I get the feeling these kolja mirrors of Ikeas are gonna run out of stock pretty quickly now.

Ikea manufactures same old oval mirror its been making for the past 10 years, Swedish man learns how to use blue paint .... and viola ... Ikea marketing success.

Getting one... now.

Tiamat666:
Nice idea, but it's impossible to create a mirror portal like that, because the blue and orange portals would have to be on the same spot - or be one and the same, which you can't do in Portal. So let me be the first to point out;

FAKE!

daisy:
FAKE!!!!

This is an obvious photoshop job. You can tell its a fake because the shadows are all wrong.

This is a lot like the scene in the movie Never Back Down where Max tried to pay for a traffic cam speeding ticket with a picture of money.

if you get this you are my hero

SextusMaximus:
I actually thought for a second that IKEA had perfected Portal technology -.-

You're thinking of SAAB

DO WANT. Please tell me there's an orange one on the other side, or possibly, on the ceiling.

The Shade:
I must have it. I must!

I think I just found my new home-warming gift for my new apartment!

----------------

I would definitely get another one, colour it orange, and arrange them to face each other, thus creating an infinite portal tunnel!

And then I'd get dizzy and fall over.

Do want.

Excuse me gentlemen, I need to get started on this right away.

And that mirror is bloody cheap as well, I must have one now! Where is my blue paint?

Before I read the article, I thought some guy had sawn a hole through his wall and painted a blue ring around it. Of course, there would be an orange ring around the other wall.

if you put an orange one opposite it it would make a sort of loop.

EDIT: dam ninja's.

TimeLord:
My nearest Ikea is 70 miles away!

*runs to train station*

get me one while you're there!

EDIT: oops double post

I thought about this some time back. Pretty cool actually

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.