Green Lantern More Star Wars Than Superhero Film

Green Lantern More Star Wars Than Superhero Film

If you're thinking the Green Lantern movie will be just like every other superhero flick, think again.

The movie adaptation of DC Comics' Green Lantern will hit theaters next year, and the film's screenwriter Greg Berlanti wants people to know it's not going to be goofy or campy. In fact, he compares the film closer to something like Star Wars than Spider-Man or X-Men.

Berlanti said in a group interview yesterday that the Green Lantern movie is a combination of "a real traditional superhero film on Earth and a space opera in space." He calls it "a melding of genres."

The premise behind Green Lantern is that a human, Hal Jordan, becomes part of a group of guardians that protect the entire universe, so it makes sense that the movie would be somewhat of a space opera. However, Berlanti also compares the movie to Star Wars based on the similarities between Hal Jordan's and Luke Skywalker's abilities.

"Hal Jordan has been compared to the Luke Skywalker of the DC universe," he said. "So I think it does have comparisons to that." Hal Jordan as Green Lantern is able to create anything he can imagine and will into existence with his power ring, sort of like how Luke Skywalker uses his will to control the force.

If you go back and read many of the Green Lantern comic books, you'll see that they can get pretty goofy with the mental constructs Jordan and the other Green Lanterns create. Berlanti also aims to soothe our worries of these constructs becoming campy, saying that at first the script would only have Jordan's ring blasting enemies, but later versions "could be more explicit about what those [constructs] were without it coming off too goofy."

I'm pretty excited to see Green Lantern especially now that we know it may have a Star Wars vibe according to Berlanti. As a huge fan of the comic book in the olden days of yore, the new movie posters (available at IMDB) showing off Green Lantern enemy Sinestro's face got my heart pumping. The Green Lantern comic book has had a lot of interesting storylines in it over the years that could be covered in movies, so I'm hoping for a winner and multiple sequels from this one.

Source: Blastr

So they're trying to make the power ring into some sort of blaster. Willing ingenious constructs is what makes Green Lantern different and versatile.

Sounds good, can't wait for the movie.

Can't wait. YAY! lol.

I'm really not surprised. If the movie was 65-80% Hal Jordan, I'd be very disappointed by it. The Green Lantern isn't a singular entity after all. Hell, I'm half expecting John Stewart to appear in the movie at some point. Or perhaps in the sequel...

Where will he keep the lantern he needs to recharge his ring? Spandex isn't a very concealing fabric.

thenumberthirteen:
So they're trying to make the power ring into some sort of blaster. Willing ingenious constructs is what makes Green Lantern different and versatile.

Here the thing...I never understood how to use the ring as a weapon.

...Maybe you need Imagination?

Me? I'll do it like Kyle...Use my Otakuu nerdness to the next level.

You know what, I hope this doesn't look like modern, sleek hollywood blockbusters. I hope it's a creative disaster, goes horribly wrong and ends up being so bad it's good and becoming a camp classic, like Flash Gordon.

I could use that over all this polished sick we've been getting over the last few years.

008Zulu:
Where will he keep the lantern he needs to recharge his ring? Spandex isn't a very concealing fabric.

well the green lanterns usually keep the lanterns in a pocket dimension. That is at least what I've learned from my comic experience,

Well, calling it 'more star wars' is a nudge in the general direction of what a good Green Lantern story is and still misleading.

I really, really hope the movie takes on the recent Green Lantern animated version.

As long as there is a certain drill instructor who calls Jordan a 'poozer'. I'm fine.

Furburt:
You know what, I hope this doesn't look like modern, sleek hollywood blockbusters. I hope it's a creative disaster, goes horribly wrong and ends up being so bad it's good and becoming a camp classic, like Flash Gordon.

I could use that over all this polished sick we've been getting over the last few years.

Heaven forbid they do a good job!! :P

I'll happily queue up for this one, I'm not that familiar with Green Lantern, but if this gets a good reception, they maybe Warner will allow someone to try resurrecting Superman again..
And do it properly... by, you know, hiring a professional to play Superman and moving the hell on from Christopher Reeve. His performance was incredible, but it's time to move on, guys.

Also... it's got Mark Strong in it.

I hope he gets to chew scenery and sneer in this one... with any luck he'll punch an eleven year old in the face while ordering a cherry coke... "Evil bastard" mode rather suits him :P

Sweet.

I didn't like spider-Man or X-Men much. Maybe this will be, you know....Good.

I kind thought movie Oa would be like Coruscant, with an abundance of various alien species.

Oh, now they're comparing an unfinished movie to the greatest selling science fiction movie franchise of all time? Pretentious pricks.

There's nothing pretentious about wanting your movie to sell tickets.

thats what I hear? Starwars I,II,III? okay I can agree with that.

thenumberthirteen:

I agree. The whole reason GL is my favorite superhero is the fact that the ring can create anything the wielder can think of. There is no reason it should ever be used as just a "blaster". There are a million ways to use the ring without ever resorting to "gun". Of course, this is why I kind of like Kyle Rainer better.

WOW! The people making the film are saying it's a revolutionary trailblazer that will redefine movies forever (star wars) instead of a cookie cutter template? (superhero movies)

Well I'll DEFINITELY see it now! Why would the film makers lie about it being amazing? They have nothing to gain from millions of people flocking to movie theaters on the promise of a star wars level flick.

Dr. wonderful:

thenumberthirteen:

Here the thing...I never understood how to use the ring as a weapon.

...Maybe you need Imagination?

Me? I'll do it like Kyle...Use my Otakuu nerdness to the next level.

That. That is awesome on so many levels. I think I'd do something similar.

Since when was Star Wars not both goofy and campy?

008Zulu:

The lantern can become invisible, and the ring can command it to follow him. At least I think that's how they were doing it before the alternate Earth lanterns started showing up. Maybe they do the pocket dimension thing now, but I'm fairly certain the ring can exert influence on the lantern as long as it's within range. (For example, having the ring bring the lantern as long as you're in the same city.)

OT: I'm really not happy with their comparison of Hal and Luke Skywalker. The similarities they do have are subtle enough to be applied to any hero. (Adventurous nature, learning to use power wisely, fighting your opposite.)

um...cool?

eh well sounds good enough for me heh, don't know much about the Green Lantern but I didn't know much about Iron Man before its big screen debut sooo...

Intresting combonation and way to describe it. They say it will be different, however, the proof is in the pudding, so to speak...

Tom Goldman:
the Green Lantern movie is a combination of "a real traditional superhero film on Earth and a space opera in space."

Oh dear. This kind of thing makes me very worried about the quality of the script.

The first rule of tautology club is the first rule of tautology club.

I usually don't like DC comics or movies, but this actually sounds quite good.

Pleasepleasepleasepleeeaaaase let this be a good film.

Not like whiny-teenager Spiderman or the X-(wo)men? Yay!

Red Rum:
I kind thought movie Oa would be like Coruscant, with an abundance of various alien species.

At around 1:08...
I'd definitely watch that film if it wasn't a fanmade trailer.

Sci-fi fiction fans already claim a reason for Green Lantern to be more like Star Wars than anything else: Doc Smith's Lensman Series is arguably a source or "first archetype" of both the Lanterns and The Jedi.

I happen to be one who agrees that they are similar, in the way that archetypes are similar, but I don't think either SW or GL "ripped off" Doc Smith. More like they carved out different mythologies for similar human channeled demiurges. Good ones, too, if you're still asking.

It's the cool new thing to compare yer current movie/game project to star wars, it would seem

danpascooch:
WOW! The people making the film are saying it's a revolutionary trailblazer that will redefine movies forever (star wars) instead of a cookie cutter template? (superhero movies)

Well I'll DEFINITELY see it now! Why would the film makers lie about it being amazing? They have nothing to gain from millions of people flocking to movie theaters on the promise of a star wars level flick.

Did you even read the article? He compared it stylistically to Star Wars.

Stylistically, shitty fanfiction about elves is similar to The Lord of the Rings. That does not mean it's of the same quality. All he said was "dude, this movie takes place in space, like that Star Wars thing; the guy's weapon is even green, like a lightsaber! Neato!" Obviously, he's trying to sell his movie, but if you can show me where he said his movie would redefine film, then I'll leave the Internet forever.

OT, I'm not a Green Lantern fan (or a comic book fan, or even a Ryan Reynolds fan), but I'll probably see this simply because they promised not to have retarded ring constructs. Seriously, giant green hands slapping villains isn't cool.

Tom Goldman:
the Green Lantern movie is a combination of "a real traditional superhero film on Earth and a space opera in space."

Oh dear. This kind of thing makes me very worried about the quality of the script.

The first rule of tautology club is the first rule of tautology club.[/quote]

Well, Star Wars did have shitty dialog:

"I wish I could just wish away my feelings!"

: /

thenumberthirteen:

True, except he seems incapable of being creative with his creations. SHields, umbrellas, large hands, and pinchers. That seems to be the extent of his imagination. Why could he say, create A titanic robot spider with swords for legs? I think its safe to say that that could handle most of what he deals with.

Also, his weakness is the entire color yellow. I wonder how that is going ot work in this so-called space opera. Hopefully well, because the potential to go awry with that weakness in the inevitable final confrontation could turn a great movie into an awful one. PLease guys, just handle the weakness well.

EDIT: I just noticed that in that fan made trailer above, there is a squirrel green lantern. Like a normal sized, earth quirrel, with a green lantern ring and uniform.

Druyn:

thenumberthirteen:

True, except he seems incapable of being creative with his creations. SHields, umbrellas, large hands, and pinchers. That seems to be the extent of his imagination. Why could he say, create A titanic robot spider with swords for legs? I think its safe to say that that could handle most of what he deals with.

Also, his weakness is the entire color yellow. I wonder how that is going ot work in this so-called space opera. Hopefully well, because the potential to go awry with that weakness in the inevitable final confrontation could turn a great movie into an awful one. PLease guys, just handle the weakness well.

EDIT: I just noticed that in that fan made trailer above, there is a squirrel green lantern. Like a normal sized, earth quirrel, with a green lantern ring and uniform.

It's harder to make more complex creations. You need to visualise it completely so it requires a vivid imagination. Kyle Rayner was a comic book artist (comic artists saving the world, project much?) so he was good at it.

To be honest I havent read GL in a long while. Kyle didn't have the yellow weakness when he first appeared. I don't know if they explained it or brought it back.

The Bandit:

danpascooch:

Did you even read the article? He compared it stylistically to Star Wars.

Stylistically, shitty fanfiction about elves is similar to The Lord of the Rings. That does not mean it's of the same quality. All he said was "dude, this movie takes place in space, like that Star Wars thing; the guy's weapon is even green, like a lightsaber! Neato!" Obviously, he's trying to sell his movie, but if you can show me where he said his movie would redefine film, then I'll leave the Internet forever.

OT, I'm not a Green Lantern fan (or a comic book fan, or even a Ryan Reynolds fan), but I'll probably see this simply because they promised not to have retarded ring constructs. Seriously, giant green hands slapping villains isn't cool.

Wait......you knew I was being completely and utterly sarcastic right? I thought I'd layered more than enough on...

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here