PS3 Becomes New Zealand's "Official Game Console"

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

PS3 Becomes New Zealand's "Official Game Console"

New Zealand's TV3 is sorry for ripping off Kevin Butler's famous series of PlayStation 3 ads - so sorry, in fact, that it mailed him an apology package that included a plaque declaring the PS3 the country's "official game console."

You may recall how New Zealand television station TV3 earned some surprise international attention a couple of weeks ago when it was discovered blatantly ripping off Sony's Kevin Butler ads for its lineup of Monday night programming. The campaign was pulled fairly quickly and to Sony's credit, it didn't raise a stink but instead handled it with a message from The Man himself, VP of International Diplomacy Kevin Butler, who offered to make Sony's entire library of commercials available for the station to copy and even threw in some helpful advice for "added epicness." There was only one catch: Butler wanted TV3 to help make the PlayStation 3 the "Official Game Console of New Zealand" - plus the box set of Flight of the Conchords for the guys in marketing.

Believe it or not, TV3 has actually come through: A package from the station arrived at Sony's offices earlier today containing several items, including Pascall Pineapple Lumps, a jar of Marmite, Milo Chocolate Drink Mix, a bag of Toffee Pops, a super-sweet plaque declaring the PlayStation 3 the "Official Game Console of Aotearoa" (which, according to Wiki, is "the most widely known and accept Maori name for New Zealand") and even the first two seasons of Flight of the Conchords.

Butler posted pictures of the loot on Twitter, where he also referred to the "fine, fine folks at TV3," suggesting that all has been forgiven. This is just about a perfect resolution to a situation that could have turned very ugly; there's no question the station was in the wrong, but Sony's reaction - and TV3's follow-up - is proof that sometimes a light touch is the best approach. Choice, bro!

Source: PlayStation Life

Now that is diplomacy!

That's actually awesome.

At least they did something nice for him.

I think this is the earliest time an article has been posted. 0:47 am. Lol

OT: Great way to handle it. Blatant ripping off, bad...but handling it with grace, good

new zealand- the valve of countries.

I'm moving to New Zealand. Who is with me?

EDIT:

DJmagma:

If only we had more.

Why can't everyone else solve their problems like this?

lol nice! Good work for Sony not, you know, taking any sort of legal action and approaching this in a light heated manner. Real good!

Take that, courtrooms! There is a new brand of justice, and its name is Butler.

Man now if only world politics would follow in their footsteps. I love the picture of butler they used too, it could have only been better if it was hiss "phew phew" pose.

Why couldn't all inter-company disputes be settled like this?

Milo + Toffee > Legal Action

Makes me proud to be a kiwi.... well, not the ripping off part, thats more Australian than NZ ;-P

Can't every problem be solved in as awesome a fashion as this?

Although, I imagine every country would end up with several official "somethings". Hmmm....

This is awesome, I gotta say that this is how things should work everywhere for stuff like this.

What a lucky bastard... Ok I do have Marmite and Milo in my cupboard but he got Pineapple Lumps! Our proud country's gift from God!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XU7JGxDbi64&feature=related

and don't get me started on Toffee Pops.. Orgasm in chocolate biscuit form..

As cool as that is..why do i feel that this will be the opening of the hell gates for ps3 fanboys.

That's really awesome. I'm proud to be a New Zealander. Now I'm going to go eat pineapple lumps, marmite, milo and toffee pops combined. That should make me Prime Minister, right?

Fun Fact: Aotearoa means "Land of the Long White Cloud" in Maori. Well, kinda. It sounds better than the literal translation.

Dfskelleton:
Maybe we should ship all the PS3 fanboys to New Zealand so we won't haven to deal with them anymore. Then everyone could live happily together, except for wii fanboys... what to do with them...
Although, that's a very nice thing of them to do. You go, New Zealand. I feel sorry for anyone in that country who has an Xbox or Wii.

We can ship the Wii Fan Boys to an East Asian country or two, but what about the Xbox fanboys?

New Zealand represent! :) Although I moved here from Britain but still pride in the country you reside in right?

Although Marmite isn't a New Zealand thing since there is a better version of it in Britain... But hey whatever.

Butterjaw:
New Zealand represent! :) Although I moved here from Britain but still pride in the country you reside in right?

Although Marmite isn't a New Zealand thing since there is a better version of it in Britain... But hey whatever.

Even if the Britain version is "better" it still comes from New Zealand.
Also go NZ, makes me proud, that said tv3 can't declare the ps3 our console!

(Before someone flames me I own a 360 and a ps3)

IHateDaManSkirt:

Dfskelleton:
Maybe we should ship all the PS3 fanboys to New Zealand so we won't haven to deal with them anymore. Then everyone could live happily together, except for wii fanboys... what to do with them...
Although, that's a very nice thing of them to do. You go, New Zealand. I feel sorry for anyone in that country who has an Xbox or Wii.

We can ship the Wii Fan Boys to an East Asian country or two, but what about the Xbox fanboys?

I don't know. Maybe Germany. Then, when they irritated me they would be speaking german and I wouldn't understand a thing they're saying.

lol, thats kinda cute. Well, I suppose they are trying to make light of it, and that does make me smile a little

Awesome! Now where's my state sponsored PS3?

All the Xbox 360 and Wii fanboys in New Zealand are now spewing hatred at TV3. Also can a tv station declare something like that in New Zealand?

Apophis47_NZ:
Makes me proud to be a kiwi.... well, not the ripping off part, thats more Australian than NZ ;-P

Is this all because you lost a cricket game?

anyway food makes everything better!

Jeronus:
All the Xbox 360 and Wii fanboys in New Zealand are now spewing hatred at TV3. Also can a tv station declare something like that in New Zealand?

Nope. Tho I guess most NZers won't hear about it.

I love this country

DJmagma:

If it was the valve of countries, wouldn't they have received 2/3 of the contents of the package with a vague promise that the rest was on the way as soon as it was packed?

LOL! thats epic.

Look SCEE, now the PS3 is an official symbol of New Zealand! Maybe you could make the PSN a little less crap there too! And, you know, if the rest of Europe benefits as well, then all the better, right?

That's absolutely awesome! I'm not entirely sure that a TV network can legally declare the PS3 its country's official console of choice, but to be honest, I don't really care.

This is just plain hilarious! I wish all issues would get resolved with this kind of lightness.

That is fucking awesome.

Dfskelleton:
Maybe we should ship all the PS3 fanboys to New Zealand so we won't haven to deal with them anymore.

Please don't. We have far, far more than enough PlayStation fanboys already.

Eclectic Dreck:

DJmagma:

If it was the valve of countries, wouldn't they have received 2/3 of the contents of the package with a vague promise that the rest was on the way as soon as it was packed?

You forgot the part where they send other unrelated packages, which are good, but not what you expected.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here