Ninja Gaiden Creator Calls Devil's Third "Best Game Ever"

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Dead or Alive creator Tomonobu Itagaki thinks his next game Devil's Third will be the very best game anyone has ever made.

You have to give Tomonobu Itagaki credit: The man doesn't do many things halfway. Ninja Gaiden? Over-the-top violence and hyper-speed gameplay. Dead or Alive? Let's turn those jiggle physics all the way up! Upcoming third-person shooter Devil's Third? The best game ever made.

Well, that's what he says, anyway.

Speaking in the latest issue of Edge, Itagaki said that he was pleased with how the game, which he unveiled at this year's E3, was shaping up. The outspoken game designer admitted that some of his games (notably the recent Ninja Gaiden) had tended to lean towards "murderous" on the difficulty curve, but said that feedback from THQ testers was helping to keep Devil's Third firmly in the zone of accessibility.

Ninja Gaiden, it was absolutely intentional that it be that difficult. That game was a revival version of a classic game for old-school gamers, so I wanted to make the hardcore happy. Ninja Gaiden 2, though, I really wanted more people to enjoy that, but ... we ran out of time for balancing. That was a tragedy. Really.

"For Devil's Third, there's absolutely nothing to worry about. We've got support from THQ's testing team, and we're going to work really closely with those guys to balance out the game. It's going to be the best game ever."

Big words, Mr. Itagaki. Let's see if you can back them up.

I can't be the only one imagining a team-up project between him and Peter Molyneux now, can I?

(CVG)

He always has been a self-important prick.

How can he rate a game that hasn't even been released the best game ever? Maybe in his career, but I wouldn't rate it too soon, it reminds me too much of the Daikatana case.

EDIT: His comment, not the game..

-Drifter-:

I was about to say just that.

Ummm is the video just completely unrelated? I just saw 30 seconds of fatal inertia from years ago...

John Funk:
I can't be the only one imagining a team-up project between him and Peter Molyneux now, can I?

It's a fun image.

"It'll have real-time world changing, you'll see characters age, they'll be sexy when they're young, you'll want to **** them, because they'll be so sexy when they're young..."

"IT'LL BE THE BEST GAME EVER!"

Nothing like an idiot hyping his own product to turn me off completely to it. Wtg, not even if beta stage and I couldn't care less.

Khaiseri:
How can he rate a game that hasn't even been released the best game ever? Maybe in his career, but I wouldn't rate it too soon, it reminds me too much of the Daikatana case.

EDIT: His comment, not the game..

The guy's like a self-important asshat. Very in-your-face about what's on his mind, too. But hey, judging from the trailer, the game might turn out to be a blast (no pun intended). Oh, and there's still hope as long as he doesn't launch an ad campaign to make us all his bitches.

I'm pretty sure that's the wrong video... Am I the only one that's getting Fatal Inertia?

FOR SOME REASON FATAL INERTIA CAME UP. IF YOU SAW A VIDEO ABOUT RACING, IT WAS THE WRONG VIDEO. I DON'T KNOW WHAT HAPPENED, BUT THE ACTUAL VIDEO SHOULD BE AN INTERVIEW.

Well, I don't know if that will be the best gave evarr but it certainly looks like it could be fun. Hey, if he puts a good story to it and the gameplay is as good as it looks, then we might have something great here.

Uhh...a "racing" game will be the best game ever. Yeah...I've got just a FEW reservations about that. I mean, Fzero looks like more fun than that. And it was.

WTF that look like wipeout rip off

I thought this game would 3rd person action adventure game with blood,gore and boobs

I don't think the man is being serious.

I sincerely hope the man is not being serious.

It's the wrong video, but even if it were the right one I'm not sure I could care much less about his new game.

Booze Zombie:

John Funk:

It's a fun image.

"It'll have real-time world changing, you'll see characters age, they'll be sexy when they're young, you'll want to **** them, because they'll be so sexy when they're young..."

"IT'LL BE THE BEST GAME EVER!"

"You'll be able to plant an acorn, and the acorn will grow into breasts. And you can bounce these breasts in any way YOU choose."

i dunno... it feels that he is jumping in the FPS bandwagon fairly late and hoping to catch attention from everyone

even so, the guy seems like an unreasonable dick in my opinion, but still he does have an unique style in video games...

lets see how this comes out!

I always knew the media blew things out of proportion, but it saddens me to see The Escapist does too.

He just said it at the end of his sentence and you guys go insane and go like "HE'S MAKING THE BEST GAME EVER HE'S AN ARROGANT PRICK".

Not cool.

That's his idea of 'realism'? Well, I guess for him it's realistic.

I'm convinced, this obviously has to be the greatest game ever made.

Move over Kotick, we've got a new replacement for John Romero.

sneakypenguin:
Ummm is the video just completely unrelated? I just saw 30 seconds of fatal inertia from years ago...

Nope... it's an interview with the main dev. Unsure what happened to you.

DeadlyYellow:

I think Peter Molyneux beat him to it... and nobody will EVER beat Peter Molyneux...

John Funk:

(CVG)

No.

Where Molyneux lulls in people with his friendly optimistic charme, Itagaki is just a false douchebag when it comes to personality and every word reeks of PR.

lacktheknack:

DeadlyYellow:

I think Peter Molyneux beat him to it... and nobody will EVER beat Peter Molyneux...

I dunno. Molyneux has some childlike innocence to him. This guy just comes off as a douche, though it may be because I hate his games.

Granted, I don't much care for Molyneux's games either.

-Drifter-:

Why would you say that? Remember, he has absolutely nothing to gain by having us all buy this game thinking it's the best ever.

It's like when a neon sign saying "world famous coffee" is hung in a shop window. You know it's absolutely true.

Well, dont out it past him to make grand statements...the Peter Molyneux of the East? Well...time will tell, but, im taking it with a huige sack of sugar

SteelStallion:
I always knew the media blew things out of proportion, but it saddens me to see The Escapist does too.

He just said it at the end of his sentence and you guys go insane and go like "HE'S MAKING THE BEST GAME EVER HE'S AN ARROGANT PRICK".

Not cool.

Show me where I said that, please? Have a sense of humor about things. Really.

Reminds me Daikatana "ABOUT TO MAKE YOU HIS BITCH". Lawl.

Still, I do realize it's mentioned in a rather light-hearted manner. Lighten up people.

"I can't be the only one imagining a team-up project between him and Peter Molyneux now, can I?"

Well played, good sir, well played indeed.

Itagaki may be a massive wanker, but his most recent game, Ninja Gaiden 2, was absolutely fantastic, so much so that I was willing to get all the achievements for it, despite its insane difficulty. So this game could be amazing as well. I don't know about best ever, though.

John Funk:
"You'll be able to plant an acorn, and the acorn will grow into breasts. And you can bounce these breasts in any way YOU choose."

That might actually be the best fucking game ever there.

Mister Funk,I salute thee.

OT:Don't count your chicken before the hatch Itagaki.Best game ever made? I highly doubt it.Even if it might be good.But what do I know if it'll be good or not? I might even never play it.

Yea Itagaki's a tool but I'll be goddamned if Ninja Gaiden (XBOX) wasn't one of the best games I've ever played.

John Funk:

The only question would be how quickly they would run out of superlatives to describe said project. It would be a guaranteed evolution of language, at least.

Am I the only one who thought he was high during this interview?

That's nonsense. Chances are it'll be a very good game, but best game ever? Don't be so arrogant.

If we go by Itagaki's standards, the best game ever made already came out:

No, that's not because I'm a fanboy.

But, I'll avoid the game, just in case it tries to make me it's bitch, like everyone else said. Besides, I only liked Ninja Gaiden and Dead Or Alive Extreme Volleyball. And hopefully Other M.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here