Japanese Fallout: New Vegas Ads Hate On JRPGs

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Hey, remember that JRPG where the hero was a moody, emo douche, who all the girls fell over themselves to love, despite both his girly ways and total lack of respect for them? Remember how you wanted to kill him more than you wanted to kill the enemies? Remember that long, drawn out subplot where he learned to give a shit and/or overcome his crippling self doubt? I hated that guy.

I don't understand. Japanese people I'm told for various reasons dislike FPS games. Isn't that what Fallout is all about? That's why Microsoft pretty much has to pay Japanese people to buy an Xbox 360 because it sells about as much as dog shit does.

Gsmoove:
here's a question for fallout, "Why can't you send in the robot at the end?"

Or Fawkes. Or just get a really big pole and poke in the numbers, then run out of the airlock, or just use that water-purifier in Megaton.

Of course that was Bethesda, this time its Obsidian, and if Alpha Protocol is anything to go buy, this game will have a story thats good, and choices that actually influence the story.

Lol, let the shitstorm commence.

I thought it was funny.

Fallen-Angel Risen-Demon:
Well, you don't complain that FPS's don't change there anything, why complain that JRPGs don't? At least they try. Not that I don't like fallout of course, but this is stupid.

I think you will find that just as many people complain that theres no change in FPSs, Just look at Zero Punctuation

WanderingFool:
Anyone who thinks this will offend people in Japan are cracked. This is probably the only way that Fallout: New Vegas will sell in Japan.

Booze Zombie:
Ha, ha, ha!

I think this might work for the Japanese sense of humour, I could be wrong, but they seem to like spite-filled sarcasm and parody.

Yeah, like he ^^^ said.

yes, not that im an expert in japanese marketing science, but this add will prolly provoke more english speakers to bitching than it will japanese speakers

Irridium:
and if Alpha Protocol is anything to go by, this game will have a story thats good, and choices that actually influence the story.

And buggy, broken gameplay?

TheButteryGoodness:

Well, you don't complain that FPS's don't change there anything, why complain that JRPGs don't? At least they try. Not that I don't like fallout of course, but this is stupid.

I think you will find that just as many people complain that theres no change in FPSs, Just look at Zero Punctuation

Does anybody take ZP seriously? He's for entertainment purposes only and shouldn't be taken seriously.

My problem with this is that WRPGs almost always have a silent protagonist whose choices are always good or evil. Because of that the story seems kind of detached from the main character, and could easily be replaced with one of your allies. While you typically have more than one ending in a WRPGs story, it still feels like its on rails.

Pretty funny considering for Obsidian to not totally fuck this game up it just has to be Fallout 3 with a different backdrop.

Meh this is just annoying. The add is essentially bashing FF13, which one could argue isn't even a JRPG (I still maintain it isn't even a game, just a DVD movie with an overly complex scene selection).

Beyond that, they're bashing one of Japan's most beloved genres to try and get attention for one of their least liked.. bad.. bad marketing. It would be like a McDonalds opening up in Tokyo telling people to put down their faggy rice and grab a burger. It may get attention, but it's sure not gonna get them any new supporters.

There's hope for Japan yet. We've already got them celebrating Kurisumasu even though none of 'em are Christian except for the occasional small enclave. Their use of American English is beyond cute. So why not let them adopt our gaming habits?

Or maybe we've been working on 'em for so long that they're just like "Take. Whatever You Want.", which would explain the executives doing aerobics in the conference room ;-)

TheButteryGoodness:

Does anybody take ZP seriously? He's for entertainment purposes only and shouldn't be taken seriously.

Yes, he's for entertainment, but he's not inventing an opinion just for laughs. FPSs are similar to the point where if I go to the bathroom, you can swap out my game with another FPS and I may or may not tell the difference. Thats fine for a lot of people because they enjoy that gameplay, but for others (like me) it's not. The Japanese feel the same way with their JRPGs. They may only have slight differences, but the general populace seems to enjoy it. We may shake our heads at their JRPGs, but they shake their heads at our FPSs.

TheButteryGoodness:

Irridium:
and if Alpha Protocol is anything to go by, this game will have a story thats good, and choices that actually influence the story.

And buggy, broken gameplay?

Well of course. This is an Obsidian game after all.

Raesvelg:
The irony, of course, is that Fallout 3 at least didn't have much in the way of REAL choices.

Hopefully New Vegas will change that.

Pugiron:
Hey, remember that JRPG where the hero was a moody, emo douche, who all the girls fell over themselves to love, despite both his girly ways and total lack of respect for them? Remember how you wanted to kill him more than you wanted to kill the enemies? Remember that long, drawn out subplot where he learned to give a shit and/or overcome his crippling self doubt? I hated that guy.

Oh.. oh.. I know this one.. wait.. when did they make a Twilight RPG?

P.S I love FF7, please don't hurt me fanboys/girls *hides*

This seems to be the first time a Western developer is using the momentum given to them by Japanese developers. So many Japanese developers say that the West has gotten better than Japan at making games, and this simply seems to be a Western company taking advantage of that.

"What's the point of playing again if there's no change to the story?"
If New Vegas is anything like Fallout 3, that means all you get is an extra two endings after your first. Good, bad or neutral, with maybe a town or two surviving or dying throughout.
Okay, now I think about it there are a few things that change, but whatever.

The advert gets the point across though, I guess.
"Tired of JRPG's? This isn't one!"

SoopaSte123:
snip for size

It just the hypocrisy of the whole argument, it's stupid at least JRPGs try. Unlike say Street fighter or COD.

pfft really? like they have any ground to stand on New Vegas IS THE SAME GAME as Fallout 3, nothing has changed it's a mission pack their trying to pass off for $60

I've come to realize the only real "fanboys" of JRPGs are people who just discovered them. No one can deny that it's just rehash after rehash of the same plot (and even subplot). Its been going on now for over 20 years, it gets tiring but to each his/her own.

i like me jrpgs. it's all about item management i guess. the story is good too. I don't think the scope can be matched by wrpgs... except for Mass Effect, but... that's not really an fpsrpg kind of game.

it's all in the matter of delivery. if the game looks and feels awesome, i don't give a fuck if it's the same story with/out any change or input coming from me. imma play it cuz it's fun.

but yeah... the disclaimer is i'm still playing Fallout 3... but, a disclaimer to that disclaimer is, i'm leveling up laharl to 9000, so .. .yeah. i loves me both.

Wait these people are protesting FF13 were do i sign up :p. In all seriousness jrpgs and shooters are starting to stagnate. The good shooters are few and far between and jrpgs are trying to evolve the problem is that they have evolved into crap, ff13 was a glorified cut scene generator on rails. Now if you,l excuse me ill play the old good jrpgs from the snes and HL2 to make myself feel better.

I played fallout and i think it sucked,

ionveau:
I played fallout and i think it sucked,

Fallout 1, 2, or 3?

Furburt:
Actually though, as Booze Zombie said, it might actually just be the Japanese sense of humor, and it probably sounds a lot more insulting to Westerners than it does actual Japanese JRPG fans.

I totally agree with you. On the nose on how I feel about this.

crimsonshrouds:
*Yawn* Companies are becoming professional trolls like yahtzee.

I have two problems with this statement - one, games companies have done far worse to each other through advertising in the past. I recall the "Genesis does what Nintendon't" slogan as the most flagrant example. B, Yahtzee is not a professional troll, he is a comedian who uses rage as a source of humour. People just can't spot that.
OT, this advert is entertaining, and as others have said, it's certainly a product of Japanese humour (after all, this is the country which has a gameshow where men are fired at women wearing nought but targeted undergarments and are required to kiss the targets for points). Wouldn't work anywhere else, in all likelihood.

SoopaSte123:
snip for size

It just the hypocrisy of the whole argument, it's stupid at least JRPGs try. Unlike say Street fighter or COD.

Oh I agree completely. I could rant endlessly about Street Fighter and modern FPSs.
Actually, now rereading it, I origionally misunderstood what you said. Whoops. I DO agree with you that we see a lack of complaining about western videogame cliches while there we hear many more complaints about JRPGs. Haha sorry for the mixup.

SoopaSte123:

SoopaSte123:
snip for size

Oh I agree completely. I could rant endlessly about Street Fighter and modern FPSs.
Actually, now rereading it, I origionally misunderstood what you said. Whoops. I DO agree with you that we see a lack of complaining about western videogame cliches while there we hear many more complaints about JRPGs. Haha sorry for the mixup.

S'okey, s'okey... Now! Look into my avatar and squee with delight!
*squee*

This is perfect! Love it.

Yep, it's professional trolling but it's awesome never the less.

hypocrite.

Ok... as a JRPG fan I can't help but want to start a flaming session and start abusing Western RPGs for all of their faults, but this type of advertising is just as bad as election advertising in Australia at the moment. Nothing but slander without offering what they have in return is not a good strategy. I prefer JRPGs over WRPGs mainly because I like books and anime and JRPGs gives me 2 in one, a good narrative with appealing visuals. Now WRPGs have their merits and I do like Fallout 3 only out of the genre but for the most part the games just can't suck me in. Regardless ad campaigns like this are wrong and even though they are trying to sell it as an alternative, slandering the opposite isn't going to help their sales in a market that probably didn't like the previous games fom the series.

Frankly, I love this. JRPGs are like Japan's national sport. This ad basically pisses all over Japan's national sport and tells them to play baseball instead. It then goes on to explain exactly why it pissed on Japan's national sport and why baseball is better - by paying Japanese people to look grumpy and hold up signs bearing these explanations.

I don't think I could love this any more if it gave me pizza and a blowjob.

WanderingFool:
Anyone who thinks this will offend people in Japan are cracked. This is probably the only way that Fallout: New Vegas will sell in Japan.

And even then it won't sell for shit.

When FF13 outsells both Mass Effect and Dragon Age worldwide combined, somehow I doubt that New Vegas is going to buck the trend.

In fact, Fallout 3 only sold 160k between the ps3 and x360 in Japan, and Mass Effect sold 30k.

Nice try, but no dice Bethesda.

So the advertisement in Japan is to say that their game is the exact opposite of what is arguably Japan's favorite genre? Yep, brilliant advertising there. [/sarcasm]

I like JRPGs and WRPGs alike, so that's not even bias. It's just dumb advertising. Although it will be amusing to see how people will react to it.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here